Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Magazine release and Artshow Nov11 at the Tonga Hut

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 6:44 PM

GROG got a PM from Bamboo Ben, and it sounds like he isn't coming, so anybody who changed their mind about showing up can now come without having to worry about keeping their paper wallets safe from Ben. Kirby will still be there though. GROG not so sure about using the club Kirby carved instead of the stick. We just want to annoy him, not kill him. (At least not at this time)

S
squid posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 7:20 PM

OK, I got the skinny on one of the drink specials.
Order the Beef Mai-Tai and you get to keep the Grog Mug! That alone is worth the trip!

Make mine medium-rare, please.

CA

how big is this joint?? are we going to work or play??

i'm bring stuff cheep to under cut all those other tikiers...... see me first before you spend all your doe on Tiki Tony!!!

where's that stick?????????????????????????

On 2006-11-10 19:20, squid wrote:
OK, I got the skinny on one of the drink specials.
Order the Beef Mai-Tai and you get to keep the Grog Mug! That alone is worth the trip!

Make mine medium-rare, please.

Oooo. Oooo! I'm gonna steal the last 5 words and submit them for the name of that Head, HoldenDaMug is looking for.

Sorry bout bailing out tomorrow night. I'm old and need to save my energy. You youngins go tear it up fo ol' yellow! I know yous will!

S
squid posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 8:46 PM

On 2006-11-10 20:31, crazy al wrote:
how big is this stick??

where's that joint?????????????????????????

What?

Wha?

H

?

This is going to be a great event for all and congratulations Tiki Tony . You deserve it . Ill see you all there with bells on my toes and a bone in my nose , Tiki-Ray

On 2006-11-10 20:46, squid wrote:

On 2006-11-10 20:31, crazy al wrote:
how big is this stick??

where's that joint?????????????????????????

What?

Dave's not here!!!

Man.

Oh joy! Oh Happy Day!
I've been sniffly and sick these past few days,but wouldn't miss this if Comatose! Just finished the last of 7-8 (not sure,twas a blur!) new little pieces for the show as well as a few oddities I will bring along for filling empty spaces!Also bringing some copies of my "Tiki Coloring Book" and "About 500 Tikis" for you to purchase and bring home! to quote GROG "Indubitably!" Will the Tonga Hut be able to contain all those talented artists and Tiki Fans? Who knows? Will Kirby survive GROG's onslaught with his "big stick"? Sounds like an old prison film!!! Yikes!And with Squid and wife and Gugug filling the air with sonic sounds,we all may get caught in some kind of eternal tropidelic time warp! or maybe not! It's gonna be funfunfun tonight seeing old friends and meeting new ones!!!! Be there or be Buffet (Jimmy Buffet that is!)

WooHooo! Soccer Tiki and I are looking forward to seeing everyone at The Tonga Hut tonight :)

S

I hear the pork mai-tai is pretty tasty as well....

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 11:12 AM

This is the first time GROG has seen Squids GROG mug. Very funny cephalapod.

By the way, has Squid mentioned all his stuff is 50% to 75% off tonight?

GROG gotta go now and start setting up for these whiny artists, so see ya'll tonight.
EES GONNA BE GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!! Indubitably.

S

On 2006-11-11 11:12, GROG wrote:

By the way, has Squid mentioned all his stuff is 50% to 75% off tonight?

I heard that Grog won lots of bones playing poker last night . Drinks are on Grog!!!!!!

D

Wow Squid 75% off with my 40% off coupon I am golden tonight. I can use the cash back to start a poker game and get Grog's money as well.

K
kirby posted on Sat, Nov 11, 2006 4:51 PM

Lets do this...

just got back from the Hut and Man alotta Kool items .Should be a Kool Show

Hit my studio on the way back from the Tonga Hut.

What a great event!

What a cool bar!

What cool people! (I'm gonna miss you guys!)

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-11-12 00:48 ]

Well I got home about 1:45 and I had such a great time. What an amazing turnout .There were so many artists and fans there , it was overwhelming. I think if they dropped a bomb on the Tonga Hut last night that all of California Tiki would be lost .Thanks to all for the compliments on my Amity Thrillkitten tiki photos ,sorry that I only brought 10 to hand out . Anyway ...get out of bed and post those pics . I think I was in 50 photos,most of them by Johnny Pinstriper .
Thanks again , Tiki-Ray

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 2:09 PM

Thank you to all the artists who participated in the show (plus Kirby), Suzy for helping put this thing together, Nick Camara of Tiki Magazine, and Ana and Jeremy of the Tonga Hut. And special thanks to all the people who came to the show. I hope everybody enjoyed it as much as GROG did. (Maybe a little TOO much, damned VooDoo Juice just tastes too good!)

Squid------Oh, you're hilarious, you bastard! He had his daughter draw a sign that said "GROG" and then brought some rocks and set them out on display like GROG was selling GROG's art. The things GROG has to put up with!! Sheesh.

Plus, Congratulations to Tiki Tony for being the featured artist in Tiki Magazine, and for doing such a great cover piece for the magazine.

Turned out to be really great event, we'll definitely have to do it again.

Mahalos-------GROG

S
squid posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 3:18 PM

All hail Grog, Atomikitty, Jeremy, Ana and Nick from Tiki Mag! You guys put on a fab event. The Hut is a great place to hang. Jeremy and Ana are doing a service to humanity by restoring it. The joint was packed all night!!!
DJ Lee was spinnin' mad vinyl grooves throughout to keep everyone in total audio bliss. Cheers, Lee!
It was great meeting new folks and seeing those I already know (although a name or 2 may slip the noggin after Johnny's Voodoo Juice).
tOny's new mugs rock and I pity the fool who didn't snag one like Al and I did when tOny wasn't lookin'. :wink:

Squid very sorry Grog not sell any pretty rocks :(

Things I learned:
•BigTikiDude really IS a Big Tiki Dude.
•SoccerTiki always has tongue out for photos.
•Johnny Pinstriper cleans up really well!
•Little Lost Tiki has good table manners and plays well with the other kids.
•tOny will not sign anything with "Aloha, winning eBay bidder----Tiki tOny".
•Stop after Voodoo Juice #3.

Here's to the next Tonga Hut show!

K
kirby posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 4:07 PM

I had a tikirifik time one of the best art shows yet thanks everyone for comeing out...
here are a few pics polly took

Here's the pics:

Ding DONG Dan & Mean Gene

Soccer Tiki (with his tongue) & The Purple Orchid Ohana

One more round for Grog

Grog's Masterpiece

Here's the bartender pouring drinks before they took an hour break from pouring tropical drinks

This TCers supports all of the local carvers

Ahhhh I could of had a Mai Tai

The Entourage

The Squids

Soccer Tiki & Polly

PiPhiRho, SoccerTiki, TikiRay, & Little Lost Tiki

The tunes played all night long

All good things must come to an end :(

Hi folks. Here's my first post to this forum. Must say it was a great party last night. Lot's of nice and friendly people. Almost everyone asking "Are you at the Tiki Central" . Ok, so here I am
For a Tiki-novice like me, it was great to see so much cool art. Ended up byin' "some" stuff as well. Not easy to get this kind, back home in Norway.

Here's some shots from last night
First wave:

And here's the second wave:

S
squid posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 6:14 PM

Beautiful pix Frank! Welcome aboard!

H

I swear I was there!........honest!

T

WOW! We are really feeling the Tiki Love! Thank you so much everyone - Susie, Ernie, Nick & Tiki Magazine, Tiki Tony, Crazy Al, Johnny, Kirby, Squid, Ken, Tiger Jimmy, Kustom Klaws (forgive me if I'm forgetting anyone), party goers! We had a blast with all of you and look forward to hosting more awesome art shows!! Thank you for coming and supporting us and the artists and for posting your incredible photos.

Mahalo!!!

Ana and Jeremy

To all my SoCal Tiki Brothers & Sisters I wish I could have been there!

Mrs.Mojo had to dance at a comic book show using some cool music from the movie "V is for Vendetta".

Still got our Tiki on later when we caught the Mai Kai Gents at Trader Vic's in San Francisco but YOUR party REALLY looked like it ROCKED! :D

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 12, 2006 8:29 PM

Thanks for posting photos. Frank Tiki, those pics look awesome!

Yippee!
That was one of the MOST ROCKINEST TIKI I had ever had the honor to attend! Mahalos times twenty to Jeremy and Ana for restoring the TongaHut to its former tropical state! Great Bar! Friendly People! Grrrrreat Art! Groovin tunes! Drunk People! Friendly Drunk People! Too many faces and conversations to recall! Thank you sooooooooo much for opening your doors and welcoming us all into the Tonga Ohana! Nick,for a gent who's married with two kids,you sure know how to get a joint hoppin! Tiki Tony, your mugs and art are truly a pleasure to behold! must be the fact that you're such a nice guy,'cause one truly can feel the love and care you put into each of your creations! Ernie and Susie,thanks for gettin all us artistas together and organized.GROG-you need to sign your rocks next time,we can help you with the writin' part!This gig really was something special! Made it worth getting there at noon, despite recovering from a gnarly flu! Plus the fact that Sir Squidley was able to give le grande tour of all the local thrift shoppes made it extra sweet!!!! Scored a bunch of objects to paint for the next event! and thank you Mrs. Squid for the wonderful dinner and company! Truly the hostest with the mostest! (She didn't even flinch when I scratched my back with the fork...) It was so fun to show with the likes of Tiki Tony,Crazy Al,Kirby(and his new volcano piece and pendant,Dave (and his chained down mad-dog stacked skull sculpt!),Susie (and her wondrous coconut monkeys!)Johnny the pinstriper(tho I've noticed that he likes to grope men when drinking-not that there's anything wrong with that....),Tiki Ray,Kustom Klaws,and the class act that is Tiger Jimmy !!!! Best and friendliest group of artists you will ever meet! I hope to get invited to the next one! TikiShark made it as well,practically parachuting out of his plane to join us after his Island visit! What a great bunch of people!!! Being a bit under the weather,I wasn't able to sample anything but a few soft drinks and a MaiTai, but the drinks were flowing and their were some folks there consuming heroic amounts of Voodoo Juice and the the like! Maybe that's why everyone was so friendly..... Thank you all for your kind words and enthusiasm and thank you to all the people who bought things from us artists! Now we can buy more art supplies and create even more work for the next show! Don't miss the next one!!!!

I just wanted to give a shout of thanks to all the artists,Tiki magazine(i'm a loyal subscriber). the bartenders and the Tonga Hut. Great event! It was my first time at the Tonga Hut and i had a blast! I will certainly be back. Squid your stuff rocks and i will be in line for the first of the new skull mugs, or your next musical gig whichever comes first.. Kirby and little lost tiki thanks for the warm welcome over smokes. i had dragged my partner(patient and supportive but not a fanatic yet) and a couple of non tikified friends and managed to make a new tiki convert out of one of them. the evening made complete with their first tiki mug purchase(not mine heaven knows) to commemorate the event. As the new kid on the "tiki island" its a pleasure to start putting faces with names. thanks again for a great night.

T

love the photos and the art

D

What a great time Saturday night at the Tonga Hut. Wonderful art, great music, good friends old and new. Thanks to all who helped put this together.

I was blown away at the turnout of this event.
killer art by everyone, wish I could have bought some :(
it was sooooo good to Hear Lee spining tunes again.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Fantastic event! Tasty drinks, good tunes - I've never done the twist in a circle before...

Ding Dong Dan is a wild thing, VintageGirl may still be in shock...

Frank Tiki, amazing shots! So glad you shared them

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT TO THE TONGA HUT SATURDAY!
WHAT AN AMAZING NIGHT!
SPECIAL MAHALOS TO:
*All you TC'ers, old and new-what a great vibe! Just like one big tipsy family!
*The Tonga Hut-Thank you Ana and Jeremy for all you hard work and belief in the tiki dream!
*Tiki Magazine-Another fabulous issue! So inspiring! (A special thanks to Nick who was subjected to my VooDoo Juice induced ramblings and was quite polite about it!) Now that's class! : )
*GROG-for looking under rocks and finding all these great artists! You are the BEST!!! Where was the poking stick though? I didn't get to poke Kirby once. . . : (
*DJ Lee-you are an amazing DJ, a mindreader, AND a snazzy dresser!
*Tiki Tony-Congrats on the Tiki Magazine props! Your work is amazing and I want to visit the world you paint and sculpt! Let me know when there is a vacation package!
*Kirby-you prolific and talented little so and so! I love your new work! Thank you so much for the AWESOME COCONUT MONKEY PENDANT!!! I almost cried it is so awesome!!! I will take some good photos and post them so others can appreciate your talent! : )
*Little Lost Tiki and Squid-thank you for all your help with the show, sharing your amazing art and fabulous selves, AND for my newest COCONUT MONKEY! (Yay! Feed the addiction!)
*Tyger Jimmy-your mid-century work blew me away! You are one talented cat! Looks like our work will be traveling all the way to Norway together! I hope they stay warm! It was great to meet the lovely Karin finally!
*Julia from Kustom Klaws-Gggrrrr, I love your work! You are one fierce kitty!
*Johnny the Pinstriper-You DO clean up well! You gotta get your photos up! I'm holding your paintings ransom until you do. Also. . .DAMN YOU for inventing the VOODOO JUICE!!!!!

*Welcome Frank Tiki, and thank you SO MUCH for sharing your BEAUTIFUL PHOTOGRAPHS and supporting the local tiki art scene! We are honored!

Okay, enough yammering. . .here's some pics. . .

Tiki gals

The motley crew

Ernie is amazed by my no-neck strech armstrong imitation!

The lovely Julia, Miss Kustom Klaws to you, and me.

Two wild and crazy guys!!!!

GROG like blondes.

GROG like redheads.

MAHALO TC!!!!!

[ Edited by: atomikitty 2006-11-13 20:34 ]

• Great Bar! • Great Show! • Great Art! • Great DJ! = Great Time!

• The Tonga Punch was a new level of delicious that I hadn’t yet experienced.

• Squid’s Skull Stack Mug is fantastic! I can’t wait.

• Thank you to everyone involved.

• And WOW everyone is so nice!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 13, 2006 11:38 PM

GROG told you GROG was only there to see all the pretty ladies!!!

Crap. So PO'd I missed this! Spent the day in the doctors office having my guts pulled inside out and upside down. Maybe next one...if my health ever improves! So frail, can't take the heavy, serious party-ing!!

I has a killer time it was great hookin up with everyone Ive been out of the mix for a bit with health stuff and these new gallerys . Suzy and grog lets start doin this more often . any ways take care every one and enjoy the weather . all the best every one Regards Tygerr

N

WOW!! If you missed this party, you missed one heck of a good time. It had everything, great people, cool art, good music, good drinks, beautiful women, and GROG. I just want to say thank you to everyone involved for a special night.

Mahalo,

Nicktiki

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2006-11-15 20:56 ]

Good Times! Good Art! I had to take off a bit earlier than I would have liked too. Great visiting with everyone & meeting my newest TC buddy "dibroc". Cool meeting tiki t0ny & picking up a Lekookoo & a few extra choice mugs, seeing Squids new wax sculpture for his 3 skulls mug, & seeing Ken Ruzics art! Lets all party again soon!! but not before I save up all my extra pennies for some fine Kinny art!!

C

...It seems you have such a great time at the Tonga Hut! I'm so jealous!!I want to see all that tiki art in person and some voodoo juice too! That's why I don't hang here at Tiki events much...Congrats!

Pages: 1 2 91 replies