Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Falernum Recipes

Pages: 1 15 replies

From my searches of "ancient" newspapers, I have put together this list of Falernum Cocktail recipes, all of which have won cocktail competitions:

I haven't translated the recipes in ml or oz, they are presented as I found them, with no preparation or serving glass specified. You will just have to use your judgement if you wish to replicate them!-)

1965, "Cognac Misty", Albert Carillo.

1 oz Cognac,
1/4 oz Orange Curacao,
1/4 oz Cointreau,
1/4 oz Falernum.

1954, "Frosty Dawn", Albert Carillo.

7 parts Puerto Rican Rum,
2 Parts Falernum,
1 part Maraschino,
1 oz Orange Juice

1969, "Golden Wave", Jose C. Yalco.

Rum,
Triple Sec,
Falernum,
Pineapple Juice,
Lemon Juice.

1973, "Cogna Perino", Anthony Cordero.

1 oz Cognac,
1/2 oz Creme de Banane,
1/2 oz Passionfruit Syrup,
1/4 oz Falernum,
Dash Frothee,
Juice from 1/4 Orange.

Does anyone else have recipes from the past which include Falernum?

Cheers!

George

On 2006-10-28 09:37, thinkingbartender wrote:
1969, "Golden Wave", Jose C. Yalco.

Rum,
Triple Sec,
Falernum,
Pineapple Juice,
Lemon Juice.

This one is one of my favorites!

Here are the details:

1 oz white puerto rican rum
1/2 oz triple sec
1/2 oz falernum
1 oz pineapple juice
3/4 oz lemon juice

blend with 6 oz crushed ice.

Agreed. The Golden Wave, though pervy sounding, is indeed a great drink.

Awesome recipes.

Thanks for posting.

Hey Hakalugi,

Which book did you get the Golden Wave recipe from?

Also, has the Golden Wave enjoyed any popularity over the years?

Cheers!

George

H

On 2006-10-29 05:56, thinkingbartender wrote:

Which book did you get the Golden Wave recipe from?

Also, has the Golden Wave enjoyed any popularity over the years?

Jeff Berry published the Golden Wave recipe in Intoxica. He also included a little blurb with the history of it.

Popular? Well I have been known to serve this drink at parties at my house so I am trying to do my part.

Hakalugi,

Does Jeff Berry say if the person who invented the Golden Wave was Jose C. Yalco in 1969? Sorry to ask, but I don't have a copy of Intoxica.

Thanks!

George

According to INTOXICA (pg. 35) the Golden Wave was invented by Jose Yatco of the China Trader, 1969. It goes on to say that it won Jose the Internation Bartenders Guild competition in Mallorca, Spain that same year.

Back to the issue at hand, there were some recipes printed on the label of the old Sazerac Co. Falernum (now no longer available). Here are some of them:

Falernum Cocktail

1 oz Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Creme de Noya
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Falernum
1 oz light rum
1 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Blend lightly with crushed ice and serve in a champagne glass.

Barbados Rum Punch
(The Original Planters Punch)

Half fill an 8 oz glass with cracked ice and add

2 oz Rum
Juice of 1/2 lime
2 tablespoons Falernum
1 dash Peychaud's Bitters

Fill glass with sparkling water, stir well and garnich with fruit and grated nutmeg.

The label also has a daiquiri recipe, Falernum Fruit Cup and a Falernum Sundae (vanilla ice cream with falernum). I have made the Barbados Rum Punch recipe and I quite enjoyed it.

Beachbum Berry's three books are also a good source for recipes that use Falernum. These include the Hawaiian Eye (Intoxica pg 39), the Puka Punch from Tiki Ti (Intoxica pg 73), the Test Pilot (Grog Log pg 82), and the Saturn (Taboo Table pg 97). All are excellent cocktails. Anyone interested in Mixology should have all three books, IMHO.

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2006-10-29 12:38 ]

(Raising his hand) At the risk of having to go sit in the Dunce Corner. . . are Peychaud's Bitters and Angostura Bitters similar, the same, and/or interchangeable?
I'll just go sit in the corner now . . .

P

Peychaud's Bitters and Angostura Bitters are nothing alike and are not interchangeable. Unfortuanately, Peychaud's Bitters can be hard to find if you are not in New Orleans. Some of the larger liquor stores in LA carry it now. Perhaps that is true in other cities as well.

And by LA, I mean Los Angeles, not Louisiana. I think it is generally pretty easy to find in Louisiana, which is where it comes from.

Here is a Wikipedia blurb on bitters...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitters

And the webpage of the distributor of Peychaud's Bitters (note that this is the same company that once distributed Falernum in the US).

http://www.sazerac.com/bitters.html

[ Edited by: PiPhiRho 2006-10-29 14:27 ]

O

Corn & Oil

Equal parts of Falernum & Rum

O

Royal Bermuda Yacht Club Cocktail.

2 ounces Barbados Rum,
3/4 ounce Fresh Lime juice,
2 dashes Cointreau
2 teaspoons Falernum
Shake with Ice, and strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

H

I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying this tread. I love the flavor of Falernum but I only make The Golden Wave on a regular basis. I did make the Test Pilot but the flavor of Pernod was too overpowering and I didn't like it as much. Nice to know there are other options.
Test Pilot (page 82 Beachbum)
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. Falernum
3 teaspoons Cointreau
Dash Angostura bitters
1/8 teaspoon Pernod
3/4 oz.light Puerto Rican rum
1 1/2 oz. dark Jamaican rum
Blend with 1 cup crushed ice for 5 sec. pour into double old-fashioned glass.

O

I use The Velvet Taylor Falernum as it is the only one I have seen here. Someone mentioned using Velvet because they couldn't get the "Good one" What is the good one and is it available in the states? Thanks

Eighth of a teaspoon for the Pernod!

With a teaspoon generally being 5ml that makes an Eighth about half a millilitre, wouldn't it have been better to specify dashes instead. A bitters bottle filled with Pernod would be better than using a full bottle of the stuff. Perhaps rinsing the glass would be a better technique to use.

H

Thinkingbartender,I put the Pernod first and made sure it was a drop or so, but it was still very strong in flavor and I didn't care for the mixture of Falernum and Pernod. It wasn't that bad but I like the Golden Wave so much better.

Pages: 1 15 replies