Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

TeaKEY's critikeys (starting new p12)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 179 replies

T

"Swizzle/pendant idea is good as it fills a practical need and could look really cool hanging around the neck as well."

Certainly the mugs are the most important part of the tiki collection. One man only needs one mug or maybe enough to fill up a dishwasher, but if its a collection, the skys the limit. I tiki bank might be cool, I found one last summer, but they feel like second best compared to a good tiki mug. Actually, most tiki items feel like second rate citizens. Like, I wanted to find a mug today, but I'll settle with anything tiki.

MAybe not swizzle with ceramic(I knew that the material that you, TikiFArm, work with) but I think as the largest manufactures (Is that right?) you should have a new swizzle stick out. You must have made a hell of a lot of the green ones, The ones selling when I found TC. What if you make a new swizzle stick each year and give one free with each order. That way, we all have to buy from you directly and each year you know you will be making sales to all collectors. Bars give them away free, and Tikifarm is a bar now, sorta.

I wouldn't want everything tiki in my Kitchen. I grew up with a friend whos mom collected everything cow and I thought that was strange. The whole kitchen was nothing but.

Oh, I got one, when I was watching a video, which is on the Tiki Ti (pronounced Tea Key Tea) Hey, it sound like . I will try to post the link for the greater good of all members. So, they have bottle toppers the liquor pour through. Like Gargoyle, a tiki with an "O" face could spit your favorite libation. Hey if you do make one, I think I should get one free for thinking of it.

http://www.tiki-ti.com/vid/images/bsvid_02.gif

T

Blood and Sand try this

Not sure if this has been thrown out there yet? How about a set of highball glass holders like the kind the Kahiki had? The type that look like a tree stump with a tiki mask carved on the front. Could have a cork pad on the iside bottom to protect the glass and the holder. Maybe in a set of four with different color masks. I think it would make a statement to sever some drinks in something like that.

S

On 2006-11-15 05:40, teaKEY wrote:

MAybe not swizzle with ceramic(I knew that the material that you, TikiFArm, work with) but I think as the largest manufactures (Is that right?) you should have a new swizzle stick out. You must have made a hell of a lot of the green ones, The ones selling when I found TC. What if you make a new swizzle stick each year and give one free with each order. That way, we all have to buy from you directly and each year you know you will be making sales to all collectors. Bars give them away free, and Tikifarm is a bar now, sorta.

I wouldn't want everything tiki in my Kitchen. I grew up with a friend whos mom collected everything cow and I thought that was strange. The whole kitchen was nothing but.

Oh, I got one, when I was watching a video, which is on the Tiki Ti (pronounced Tea Key Tea) Hey, it sound like . I will try to post the link for the greater good of all members. So, they have bottle toppers the liquor pour through. Like Gargoyle, a tiki with an "O" face could spit your favorite libation. Hey if you do make one, I think I should get one free for thinking of it.

http://www.tiki-ti.com/vid/images/bsvid_02.gif

Well, first of all I am not part of Tiki Farm. I'm an independant designer/sculpting contractor. I do however sculpt a majority of their products but alas :( I'm not in charge of the free swag dept.

I do agree with you and Granny Boris that there should be more swizzle sticks! I like 'em. They don't take up shelf space and they complement a mug collection perfectly.
Tooling costs for injection molded plastic are prohibitive for doing a lot of new designs. Like thousands of bucks up front to make stuff you either give away or sell for pennies. Again, not my department but it would be cool.

The shot toppers sound cool too. I missed those at Tiki Ti probably due to one too many Blue Hawaiians. I'll check it out.

I wouldn't bag the kitchen stuff just yet. I would think that a good chunk of TCers like to cook/bbq. The main hang in our house is in the kitchen/dining area anyway. Yackin' and cookin'!

And you wouldn't have to own the whole herd, just maybe a couple of milk cows :) Mooooving right along.....

Squid Wrote

I wouldn't bag the kitchen stuff just yet. I would think that a good chunk of TCers like to cook/bbq. The main hang in our house is in the kitchen/dining area anyway. Yackin' and cookin'!

And you wouldn't have to own the whole herd, just maybe a couple of milk cows :) Mooooving right along.....

What Squid really meant was that he likes to cook Yaks while in his kitchen... a whole herd of 'em. I know what you mean man, don't try to cover it up:)

T

I'm also a functional tiki proponent-almost all of my mugs so far are used, not displayed (although I would like to do this eventually). My kids like to offer their friends lemonade in the tiki mug of their choice, so far they've seen alot more lemonade than rum drinks, but they're being used, & everything can be thrown in the dishwasher.

I would like to see a multi-purpose item, a round container in maybe 3 sizes, for use as a cachepot for plants, an icebucket, a kitchen utensil holder, a container for stuff (w/out a lid)...I think ceramic plaques would also be lovely, but as I accumulate more things, I greatly appreciate being able to use them in different ways (a tiki toilet sounds great, but I wouldn't want to clean it!)

T

"I think ceramic plaques would also be lovely"

You know what sells really well and is the easiest thing to make is a Tiki Tile. You can go into almost any art store and there they are. Its a ceramic art piece that you get to hang on your wall. If I ran a ceramic shop, this would be one of the first things I would do. Its hip to be square.

On 2006-11-16 10:08, teaKEY wrote:
"I think ceramic plaques would also be lovely"

You know what sells really well and is the easiest thing to make is a Tiki Tile. You can go into almost any art store and there they are. Its a ceramic art piece that you get to hang on your wall. If I ran a ceramic shop, this would be one of the first things I would do. Its hip to be square.

Oh!!! We're going to be doing a kitchen remodel sometime in the near future (READ: next five years) and I would looooooove to have some standard sized (4"?) square tiles to include! It's all the rage in The Arts & Crafts movement, for kitchens and fireplaces.

T

Yes, & give the option of having tiny rubber feet, so it could be used as a trivet, also. You could hang it on the wall when it's not under a hot dish...

T

just some of Miles work that are all great designs. They are some of the greatest designs and maybe the best. On paper or if they were in the hand, these mugs are the next level from an artist who has drawn more designs than any other artist and who in my opinion is the greatest tiki painter.

MY favorite painting is the purple dude that is drinking out of the other purple dude.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 8:05 AM

So far I think things are off to a good start.

1. The first item of business that I brought up is that we and I need more Swizzle sticks. TikiFArm has over a 1000 mug design and yet only had the green swizzle sticks and they were sold out @ their website. Now no less than a month later, they have a new color Orange. 2)The second thing that I thought up was about the second hole in the pour and straw holed mugs. Shortly after I posted I heard Munktiki redesigned their Fugus with the only one hole. Now I can't say that any of my thoughts are making any of these things happen, but I sure seem to think up these ideas for myself before I see that they were thought up. 3)Koolau mentioned that there are no new mugs on the Tikifarm website. A week later, we get to hear about the flood of great mugs that are going to be pouring out and ones that are coming down the road. No one directly posted comments to my thoughts and Koolau bypassed my ideas with talking about the collectible tiki that no one drinks from, well, I would say a couple things to that.
  • It's on the first page and I'm not going to quote it above, what a waste of space. I hate then people quote what you were just talking about, like people have 5 second memories. Quote the whole paragraph from the above paragraph and then write "Yeah, or I agree"." it does bug me "contemporary mugs are really not meant to be used as mugs - they are instead art pieces or collectibles-Koolau" Aren't all tiki mug collectibles?? Any one that has three of more (and most people that have one , have three) have a collection of tiki mugs. If you just wanted a drink of milk, you would use a glass. We all have glasses and we use them mainly for drinking. Now if we want to use a tiki mug for a tiki-type drink, we would only need to have one mug that we could use every time. If you wanted more for variety or to drink with a friend then two mugs would be needed.
    You can buy a couple of TikiFArm mugs and use them everyday and collect them and shelf them all at the same time. Munktiki mugs, you can do the same, but they are more money and limited more in their availability if broke. We only need a couple of mugs to drink from and Now since we are all collectors, why would we drink from our collection. Most people collect something and most time they are displayed. My dad has a train collection (model) and they are behind glass cases just like my mom's angel figures. He could could use them, they work for display and running track, just like we all could use our mug but why. Maybe because the Munktiki have little cards inside that we would have to remove them each time, or because we can claim that we never used them of Ebay just before we sell them (you could lie), or cause they are worth something to us if they ever got broken. Yeah, most to the new mugs are bought for collections and as the signed art they are. I could my laminated Shag prints as placemats and get more use form them, but I won't (mine aren't really). Not, the vintage, that something that I never have drank from. I have this thing about drinking from something I don't know where is came from. And maybe that is why we don't drink from our contemporaries cause we know we wouldn't want one to drink from the drank. But I say, drink from anyone that you want. The funny thing is that I probably would drink from a Bosko the least because I don't have one and they are harder to get one today and more of an art peice. They are after all been in art books. There is more that I could say will pass for now.
G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 9:07 AM

On 2006-12-06 08:05, teaKEY wrote:

• It's on the first page and I'm not going to quote it above, what a waste of space. I hate then people quote what you were just talking about, like people have 5 second memories. Quote the whole paragraph from the above paragraph and then write "Yeah, or I agree".

Yeah, GROG agree. GROG wish 4 second memory GROG has so space GROG waste not from quote above. GROG hate then do that people do as well.

T

On 2006-12-06 09:07, GROG wrote:

On 2006-12-06 08:05, teaKEY wrote:

• It's on the first page and I'm not going to quote it above, what a waste of space. I hate then people quote what you were just talking about, like people have 5 second memories. Quote the whole paragraph from the above paragraph and then write "Yeah, or I agree".

Yeah, GROG agree. GROG wish 4 second memory GROG has so space GROG waste not from quote above. GROG hate then do that people do as well.

Yeah, I agree too!

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 9:17 AM

Ok, I wanted to add alittle more to other thoughts, so if you want to make your comment to the above posting put a (1) and this posting put a (2) or do nothing.

"I'm more of a thinker than a doer. Maybe some of my thoughts will indirectly lead to pull tiki mugs in a direction that would have never been pulled. And thats the pay off.-teaKEY"

When I started posting here at TC, I wanted to make a name for myself having a mass-produced tiki mug. I already made a hand built mug then. Can you believe, the zenith for me is C'Al, Bosko, TikitOny, Tiki Diablo, Gecko divided by 50(I mention them cause they are very much alike, will post my thoughts at a later time)( as well as Helztiki, and Rum Demon.) Did I forget anyone? I know Tikifarm and Munktiki but they are more like Companies.

Vantiki is very different and I can't believe that his mug isn't selling for higher.

All of the above names are all artist that have a following in many areas of tiki as well as have about ten or more different mass-produced mugs. I just want a tiny slice of Tiki History. I only want one mug to make it and if anyone wants to pick me up, I'm there but I don't know what has been holding me back so far. I got the mug idea, the number run picked out, the idea for APs and the talent to shape it all together but there is a block from keeping me from going at it.

I still am more of a thinker, but as of lately, have been a doer. Not with the mass-produced stuff but in some one offs( more on this later) but I can tell you that its a one of a kind times three) Only mug of its look, only mug of its shape, only mug of it process to be formed (and thats a big part of it) and only mug in history to perform what it does. I'm thinking it will be for sale to a lucky buyer if the buyer knows how special it is (meaning price).

It is the highest form of art piece tiki mug there is. Only Gecko would attempt a one off mug like this but he doesn't do one off mugs that I know off (bowls, yes) but even then, I don't think it would be anything like this. VAntiki is the only other artist I know that has made completely one off mugs unless you count some of the throw mugs with slight carving out there.((And actually the only to sell a completely done one off, if anyone knows of different I would like to know)) I'm so excited, cause it is a break through in mugs and it was certainly a breakthrough in my mugs and the best one that I ever could think to make, to date.

I plan to sell this to the highest bidder (you can start your bids now, I'll let you) or a pleasing bid and it wouldn't even be priced as high as lesser quality or quantity of work done mugs. But, I know that this mug will be displayed and hopefully be used from time to time in a private citizens home. I also want to have my mugs in anyone's homes.

So I made "the" mug (which I can talk about closer to being glazed or sooner) and hopefully going even to a higher level (I got the ideas); and next is a molded mug (one for collectors with the collections and hopefully the cheapest mug that I could ever make- A modern day Leilani of sorts. If this doesn't get comments, nothing will.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 10:05 AM

On 2006-12-06 09:17, teaKEY wrote:

I plan to sell this to the highest bidder (you can start your bids now,

T

Well, thats the first bid. Looks like to cents. I could sell it to you for that, but you would be shocked at the shipping and handling charges. Hey Grog, you still need to keep that wig on.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 10:08 AM

Oops! GROG overbid. That was supposed to be ONE penny, not two.

T

Mugmakers, and I don't think of Tikifarm and Munktiki tiki fit into the individual classes just because they're companies that aren't one man doing it all.

TikiFarm- Best Cheap mug(cheap as in inexpensive), Most mugs sold, Most different art under one umbrella
Munktiki- Best mug crossover designs, Best Selection of styles by a single artist
Bosko-Best asymmetrical mugs, Best Vintage feel glaze (and isn't he like the Godfather of Modern mugs)
Tiki Diablo- Best use of mix media in a mug, Best multicolored mug
Tiki Tony- Best Cartoonish quality, Best packaging for mug, Best painted mugs
Crazy Al- Best mug from carving,
Gecko- Best glazes, Best bowls, Most expensive?
Rum Demon- Best fruit mugs, Best at doing different glaze for each mug
Vantiki- Best musical mug, Best sold hand-built mugs, Best use of mixed clays

I really love those Spanish mugs. They are so different from anything that we have here. They don't really look like any traditional tikis or styles, but they still have a tiki mug quality.

I would have to define their style has first multiply bright colors and second a mug that has no traditional style. They all have faces and extra detail work and then go with the extra step on Action.
"Action" would be the dry ice bubbling, or the 151 fire. Sometimes two or more separate compartments for dry ice. Thats a record, is there even an American mug with more than one place??

Pic form Ooga (Nomad- don't be mad)

Teakey,

I think you need to reevaluate your definition of an mugmaker/artist.
You say Munktiki does not count because its more than one person and a company.FYI, Munktiki is a company.. but a company with 2 artists behind it that do every single process, Individually. To simply say because its a company means your not an artist is BS. Allot of the artists on your list have at some point or still do out source aspects of the mug making process.

I see allot of claims out there of being the best at this, the biggest this, number one at this, hardest working at this, so on etc etc. For me it just makes me respect the individual or company even less and only makes me think they are trying to compensate for low self esteem. Let your work/product/business speak for itself, why the need to hype yourself with something that cant actually be proven.

-stuckie

"I support a self hype free world"

T

"S- You say Munktiki does not count because its more than one person and a company"

T- You guys totally count. I don't know the whole Dynasty or other China made mug makers that might be out there, but Tikifarm and Munktiki are too company names. And the BIG TWO.

Of the list that I posted, TikiFarm and MUnktiki are in a class all there own. Thats a good thing. You guys are out selling and growing. If this was one of those smart test in school, and the question asked you which two were not like the others, I would circle A. and B.
I said that you as the two individual artists, that you have more styles of mugs than anyone artist.

"S- To simply say because its a company means your not an artist is BS"

T- I would never and have never not thought of Munktiki as not an artist. Actually, this posting above is from an another longer post that I was using to explain something else and since no one was responding there, I posted here too cause it fit.

I have more Munktiki mug than any other mug. Don't know what that means and I'll leave it at that.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2006-12-16 16:27 ]

I want LAVA!

A mug made to look like it was carved out of a piece of lava, the texture similar to a coco joe's plaque. It could be plain, or with a tiki carved into it.

Tile made to look like lava, 6x12 inches to use as a border or an entire wall. Same texture as the coco joe's plaques.

T

"A mug made to look like it was carved out of a piece of lava, the texture similar to a coco joe's plaque, It could be plain"

Very interesting idea. I can't think that you will see a plain lava feel mug come out anytime soon or without your idea presented first but yesterday I saw something.

Now a plain mug wouldn't be complete in itself which most tiki mugs are going for. But this idea can be very modern when added with similar or juxtaposing pieces and in the right setting of a home. I vase is very plain but the shape of the vase added with other vases near a stone fireplace perhaps.

Their was an artist here that made a couple hand-built mugs with the texture of lava (using hundreds of pokes of a toothpick) and a simple face.

Actually you just gave me a couple really good ideas. One was the lava, I can see that turning out nice, and the idea of having a complete tiki or not.

Ok so people are claiming they have the best, largest moai tiki mug out there. Well check out my hand build baby before you make any more claims. This mug takes a whopping 2 bottles of rum plus all the ice orgeat, limes, curacao, and sugar syrup you can throw at it. This is a night out on it's own!

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2006-12-17 09:28 ]

T

Cool I stand corrected. I thought that I may have had the biggest ceramic mug and the only hand-built moai, I loss title of hand-built moai and you get biggest Moai to date. I still might have you on the big mug though :D.
Did you make that? Is it ceramic? Very cool, and thanks for sharing.

"There should always be a path towards being the best" And you should try your best towards your passion. Always be proud and never satisfied will give you growth and happiness.

I always like a good showing. Just like the Olympics, were the best come to be the best. Six men enter and one man was the best that day. All the men were their best that day too.

The best is yet to come LOL

H
Helz posted on Sun, Dec 17, 2006 9:14 PM

Hey, BigKahuna....

Just keep your eyes open....there's some stuff in the lab right now......

T

Avis is # 1 ---> yeah at the time Avis had a boatload of low self esteem ~~~ OY

On 2006-12-16 15:38, stuckieshaft wrote:
Teakey,

I think you need to reevaluate your definition of an mugmaker/artist.
You say Munktiki does not count because its more than one person and a company.FYI, Munktiki is a company.. but a company with 2 artists behind it that do every single process, Individually. To simply say because its a company means your not an artist is BS. Allot of the artists on your list have at some point or still do out source aspects of the mug making process.

I see allot of claims out there of being the best at this, the biggest this, number one at this, hardest working at this, so on etc etc. For me it just makes me respect the individual or company even less and only makes me think they are trying to compensate for low self esteem. Let your work/product/business speak for itself, why the need to hype yourself with something that cant actually be proven.

-stuckie

"I support a self hype free world"

T

Avis the car rental place? http://www.avis.com

I think that Stuckie made a good point about letting your product speak for you.

Stuckie seemed mad that day, Saying BullSh!t and lowselfesteem.
I say let your art talk but since we have voices, we should certainly talk about our art too.

I think that the bigger the artist you are (meaning say most sales) the less available you are to your consumers. I was thinking, use Shag for any examples, cause as far as I know he doesn't post here. TikiBosko and Stuckie, don't post often. It would be a better place if they did but then it could lose that higher pedestal / mystery. Ex. Nirvana were heros when I was younger and then the the singer was total unavailable when he passed away. Some were gods to people.

But I would love the hear more about artist talking about what they are doing. Not to say that we don't have some great one that do post here. This place is speacil for that. My focus is on the mugs and what I guess I'm say is that a little bit of Stuckie and better than none.

We Try Harder!

Avis #1... Ok, then I believe it. If they say so then it must be true.

Obviously its not all about self esteem, avis is a large corportation. For them its about confusing the consumers to make a sell.

When it comes to artists, small business owners, I believe its ego and self esteem which cause self hype. Obvoiusly we all need to make a living and do what ever it takes to attain that grocery money. I just think its sad that so many people fall for the claims that are made to sell somthing.

Teakey,
I got no gripes with you man. I just felt I needed to comment on the whole company/utilitarian/artist thing.
I just think the perception of what art is here in the States is wrong. Ceramics get a bad rap, here its basically just seen as a "craft", no where near the prestige of paint on canvas.
Often I see myself getting put into the Manufacturer category and not the artist category. I create originals and duplicates just the same as other artists. I don't see how a painter having prints made is any different.

-stuckie

Wouldn't our mugs all be better served
If we spent more time drinking from them
Than thinking of them?

T

"Wouldn't our mugs all be better served
If we spent more time drinking from them
Than thinking of them?"

That would be good for most people but bad for the like of say Munktiki, just to throw out a example.

I don't know how many hours I have in thinking tiki/ tiki mugs, but only an hour and a half tops in the drinking department. Drinking tiki drinks that is. More time drinking other non-tiki drinks from tiki mug though.

P

man, you spend a lot more time thinking about this than i would ever want to.

T

I concur.

T

On 2006-12-20 10:52, stuckieshaft wrote:
Avis #1... Ok, then I believe it. If they say so then it must be true.

Obviously its not all about self esteem, avis is a large corportation. For them its about confusing the consumers to make a sell.

When it comes to artists, small business owners, I believe its ego and self esteem which cause self hype. Obvoiusly we all need to make a living and do what ever it takes to attain that grocery money. I just think its sad that so many people fall for the claims that are made to sell somthing.

Mr Stuckie needs a VACATION !!!!!!

Stuckie simply designs and makes fantastic mugs. Keep up the amazing work.

And I concur, let's use and enjoy the mugs and stop being so precious about them.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2006-12-21 05:06 ]

Yes, I do need a vacation. The holidays are bummin me out! Only 3 more days and Im in Vegas!

T

"I just think the perception of what art is here in the States is wrong. Ceramics get a bad rap, here its basically just seen as a "craft", no where near the prestige of paint on canvas - Stuckie"

Ture. I was been thinking of this a lot. In the Tiki Art Shows, a painting by a unknown artist or a quick painting will fetch least a starting price of around 300 maybe alittle less. As high as $8,000. This is gallery prices but still the work in the paint isn't anymore better than a original design sculpture or mug.

I think that it has a lot to do with, a mug is just something you drink with or a collector piece but not art. Its true that tiki mugs are collection items and drinking mugs but they very much could be art and should be art, if that is its purpose. Would I buy a $300 painting, did, and would I buy a $300 coffee mug, no. Would I spend more if that mug was an equally nice piece as the painting and was art in itself, yes.

I always try to crack what art is. I say, it has a lot to do with the artist. If the piece is an progression of thought with many overcome paths to lead down to the most meaningful expression one can produce, its art.
Is it a Bob Ross painting, does that fit the above idea, not to me it doesn't, that is a craft. If you can make it without the act of thinking, craft.

For me, its a journey, a love affair with the object, getting whats in my head out in the best way. I find it a spiritual act, being in the moment, finding the answers, and leaving with a higher being.

And now, to add to what Capo said that he doesn't get to always do his best work cause no one is willing to pay for it. I would like to see the art of tiki elevated but is the a market there for the mugs.

I see that Munktiki just made their Kustom ordered mugs. Two have came out so far and the points that they connect, is an awesome line. Not that a custom mug could be made but that a Brand Name can make your ideas and different form someone else is a radial idea. I see the level of tiki mugs being elevated and is going to make the rest of us push higher or fall behind.

T

Love these new Kustomas. I am always impressed and wondering what the next ones will be. Both from what people wanted and what Munktiki created. Two TCers have posted three mugs and two TCers a mug apiece. I heard that there are more out there that haven't made it out to there owners so there is still more ideas that have to be made. Its going to get hard to have something new each time and still carry on with creating new in all the other mugs MUnk makes.

I would say that if I could have one of KTD it would be the Gorilla and if I could have one of Tiki Kate it would be probably the Bastard Bob, just cause I don't have a Bob, and the two members are similarly different. Are equal different from anything else and still have the tie.

On 2007-01-25 11:58, teaKEY wrote:

I would say that if I could have one of KTD it would be the Gorilla and if I could have one of Tiki Kate it would be probably the Bastard Bob, just cause I don't have a Bob, and the two members are similarly different. Are equal different from anything else and still have the tie.

Umm. Those aren't mine. Munktiki mugs (although they have a swell style) tend to scare me. That's why I only own a handful of them. If you click the Munktiki tag on my collection, you'll notice that I only tend to buy the really cute ones.

T

Opps, I didn't mean to put the massive collector with a Chicks name like Kate when I meant to put the other Large Collector of fine mugs, AtomicChick. Of both collections I would trade mine for.

T

I must say, It seems like Munktiki found their new glaze. I think it the new miracle glaze that's all the rage.

Know which one I'm talking about. Its the brown Earthy color. Ten Kustomas have been publicly displayed. The eight above and two on Ebay -One currently selling. Of the ten (which are ten totally new designs for Munktiki) eight have that Earthy brown. 9 out of the 10 have brown as part of the color, and the green one not mentioned is Earthy green.
Munktiki's new page on there site, shows this new Kustomas that is on Ebay, then its followed by a coconut bowl with the earthy brown volcanio center, followed by there new New Zealand Ebay mug, in that same Earthy matte brown, and then at the bottom, is a Monkey stacking set all done up in the same browns.

I think that Munktiki found there new favorite glaze. A glaze that I have yet to work with, but would love on my next mug. Its almost going back to a more simpler/ rustic time using that glaze.

Gecko even pulls that glaze out when he wants to wow he crowd. Gecko's shiny brown Pele's mouth, (got one, ok, got three) is cool, but put that earthy brown matte glaze over it (artist proof) and everyone knows its going that extra mile.

Maybe its a respectful glance back at the past. Maybe its saying enough with Target and cheap plastic travel cups. I know that there will always be a place for colorful mugs, cause after too many browns we want the rainbow back but maybe Treasurecraft just knew something that we are rediscovering again and again today and tomorrow.

GT

Tiki Ashtray, I can mold a bunch of ashtrays, Not of my own design, but from a Duncan 1960's mold, so like new, but old school. If all you want me to?

It's cool that I'm not on the list of making Tiki Mugs and Art but, My "Mambo Loves Tiki" mug will be ready soon: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22879&forum=18&4&PHPSESSID=e7cfc34b147513a79f0944d4497610ec

Past Tiki Mugs
http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=347

:) GOTIKI

[ Edited by: GO TIKI 2007-03-01 18:53 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 7:27 PM

Tiki Go, I never saw your work until recently. And the monkeys turned out great. The two tone monkeys are the better.

GT

My latest Tiki Mug named "Go Go" I'm still working on the right glaze I want, more like a "peanut mug" would be cool, what you think?

T

Well, I thought the top lip was extended out alittle too far. And you said, that is what you were going for. But the back of the top lip is what I think the front should be.

I didn't notice it last night, but this mug looks to be made the same way I do mine. I'm guess if its hand made, and then you probably know the way I do them. It looks lite. Go Tiki, you should start your own thread with just your work. Keeping it all together in one place.

I see this thread as more thoughts on mugs and the surrounding energy. More the thoughts on the art of the mug, then the actually mug art.

But, I think it would be nice to hear your thoughts that you had while making this mug (art tiki life , life as a creator.

T

I heard once that man's way of experiencing birth is with his art.

"Tiki mugs, born from man's mind and formed out of Earth. Whether you believe in the Creation story, or Evaluation, it would seem that man was born of Earth. God put the breathe of life into clay to form man and now man can do the same. MAn can create using the same materials. The created has become the creator."

On 2007-03-23 08:28, teaKEY wrote:
I heard once that man's way of experiencing birth is with his art.

"Tiki mugs, born from man's mind and formed out of Earth. Whether you believe in the Creation story, or Evaluation, it would seem that man was born of Earth. God put the breathe of life into clay to form man and now man can do the same. MAn can create using the same materials. The created has become the creator."

But what do you bench?

T

205 yesterday, my best ever. In high school I could only do the 45 pound bar. Hopefully in a couple months I'll be doing 225. Not bad, right?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 179 replies