Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Is the Islands Restaurant/Hanalei Hotel being gutted?

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies

H

Devastating news, details in a blog entry on Humu Kon Tiki:

San Diego’s Islands Restaurant Renovation?

I don't know anything beyond what I posted about, but here's the gist of it: someone namd Joe Reis posted on his blog that the Islands closed yesterday as part of a massive 6-month renovation plan for the hotel, which apparently calls for the removal of the waterfall fountains at the front of the restaurant, and lord knows what else.

Has anyone else heard about this? It's devastating, the Islands Restaurant is gorgeous. Not what it used to be, thanks to other ill-advised renovations, but still lovely. The Hanalei has been so terribly butchered over the years -- why do they keep doing this?! Gah!

MN

I will go in there today and find out.

I had dinner there about 2 months ago and spoke briefly with the Maitre'D. At that time he said their intention was to save the clamshell wall but the rest of the restaurant was going to be renovated. I spoke with a few of the San Diego TC contigency later on that night about what they heard and some told me they heard the same thing.

Still -- its all rumors without a confirmation. The Maitre'D I spoke with wasn't 100% sure what the final plan called for. He's not "in the know" so to speak. He just shared what he knew from what he was able to gather from others there.

And let the letter writing campaign begin!!!

T

On 2006-11-06 07:36, PolynesianPop wrote:
I had dinner there about 2 months ago and spoke briefly with the Maitre'D. At that time he said their intention was to save the clamshell wall but the rest of the restaurant was going to be renovated. I spoke with a few of the San Diego TC contigency later on that night about what they heard and some told me they heard the same thing.

I heard the same thing the last time we were there. The guy we talked to had also said that they were planning to remove the wall between the restaurant and the banquet room next to it in order to make the restaurant larger.

D

:( I see no need to fret....not yet at least...to keep with the the eternal sunshine of the spotless mindset (I like to live in...:roll:) why assume a renovation will be for the worse? With Oasis being held there maybe management might be starting to "SEE THE LIGHT" and going for the temple of tiki it once was. It could happen...just maybe... :( I hope the locals can keep Tiki Centralites updated on the potential progress or demise of The Islands, while we nervously nibble on our fingertips waiting for future progress reports.

Well...because in the case of Tiki restaurant renovation, "positive thinking" is not enough: 9.5 out of 10 examples have been grave disappointments. "Getting it" (Tiki) is usually not enough to prevent general major changes to have an impact on vintage places. The Islands/Hanalei's first renovation itself is a good example. Yes, they left the main core and the waterways intact, but a whole part of the waterfall wall, the entrance bar and the amazing booths were destroyed and replaced by a totally bland, generic banquet room, with a few weapons nailed against its white walls. AND important "Luau" artifacts dissappeared.

This said, from what I read, I does sound the restaurant will remain untouched, which is good. But if they're set on getting rid of the waterfall, it is illusionary to think we can do anything about it, it's the way of the business world out there, kids.

On 2006-11-06 10:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well...because in the case of Tiki restaurant renovation, "positive thinking" is not enough: 9.5 out of 10 examples have been grave disappointments. "Getting it" (Tiki) is usually not enough to prevent general major changes to have an impact on vintage places.

And so we need to make our thoughts known. My TC Ohana, even if you don't ever think you'll set foot inside the Hanalei (BUT especially if you are going to TO7), send a letter - or an email or SOMETHING - to the management telling them you are planning to visit and will be truly disappointed if they lessen their TiPSy scale.

If they get a large enough response, they're much more likely to take notice.

edited for spelling errors

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-11-06 14:26 ]

Maybe this is the silver lining:

"The railings from The Islands will be moved into the atrium so in effect they are adding decor to that area. They have spent $20,000 on additional landscaping so the hotel will still look like a tropical jungle everywhere you go.

They added new palapas to existing outdoor palapa areas so there will be fresh new thatching."

D
dibroc posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 8:36 AM

from Otto 11.6.06

Some of you may have heard that the Red Lion Hanalei Hotel in San Diego is remodelingThe good news is that they are not changing management so we have the same friendly, helpful staff that serviced the event this year and they are excited to do it again next year Here are all the details I know. As you know the Hanalei is the site for Tiki Oasis 7 which is happening Aug 16 - 19, 2007It has been a historic Tiki site containing artifacts from Stephen Crane's Luau restaurant which have been housed in the Hanalei atrium since the early 80sIt is also the site of a formerly stellar example of Tiki restaurant design executed by Oceanic Arts. The restaurant is called The Islands. It was drastically remodeled inside and outside around 1996 so it was far from untouched. It is with much sadness that I inform you (direct from the highest source at the Hanalei) that much of The Islands is currently getting remodeled from now til April 1, 2007 and the hotel will be renamed The Islands, the good:the GM said, "Its going to be more TROPICAL than TIKI."The indoor foliage is staying, some bamboo elements are staying. The glass floats are most likely staying. The large boat stays. The Monkeypod tables are being refinished to the tune of $38,000 - that's a big investment in tables! auxiliary rooms are being opened up to be part of the entire restaurant to increase seating. The outdoor deck is being expanded to accommodate seating. The menus for the sushi bar, The Islands, and the bar will remain untouched. The bar will serve drinks in Tiki mugs! The Islands, the bad and the ugly:The entire waterway from lobby and into the restaurant is going away. (They are keeping the Tiki railings) The rock wall waterfall is going bye bye and windows overlooking the pool and deck are saying "hello". The Dragon Room is gone. The artifacts on the walls in the lobby, side rooms and The Islands are removed and most likely will be on exhibit for us to view during Oasis 7. I have not worked out these details so don't ask me questions about this. More travertine flooring will be added around the sushi bar to update it and make it blend with the lobby. The entire hotel will receive a paint job inside and out (most likely a shade of beige) The Hotel name:I do not know what exactly the new name will be but it will not have the word Hanalei in it. This was mandated in order to raise the status of the property. The rest of the hotel:the railings from The Islands will be moved into the atrium so in effect they are adding decor to that area. They have spent $20,000 on additional landscaping so the hotel will still look like a tropical jungle everywhere you go.They added new palapas to existing outdoor palapa areas so there will be fresh new thatching.The rooms will be remodeled and the standard room rate is increasing BUT this will not effect our event as I have contracted those rooms already. So essentially you will be getting the rooms for cheaper than the standard rate! Here are the details from a hotel/business perspective:The GM at the Hanalei was told that the renovations had to take place. The property was audited by the parent company and evaluated and one recommendation was to consolidate the restaurants into one larger full-service one with increased seating. The Lobby space is to be altered to be more useable - a small conference room will be carved out of it. All rooms are getting better mattresses and interior upgrades. The room and conference room upgrades will bump the property into a higher class offering in order to allow it to stay competitive with immediate neighbors (and to set it further apart from the Motel 6 offerings nearby). Hanalei is a business conference oriented Hotel, not a book-by-the-night model. Ironically, the reason I have hosted Tiki Oasis at this historic site and the previous site is to draw attention to them so they retain their Tiki decor.I am committed to continue to work with the Hanalei despite the remodel of The Islands. They still have the atrium full of Tikis, waterfalls, lush tropical plants, tropical landscaping around the entire hotel, the bar serves tropical drinks in Tiki mugs, and although The Islands is gutted it still retains some decor elements, the name, and some Polynesian food offerings.The proximity of the Hanalei to the Bali Hai allows us to support that historic site too. ++++++++++++++ Otto von Stroheimtikioasis.comtikinews.com

MN

Here are a couple pics from yesterday.

I suspect 99% of the interior was out AND boxed in a matter of 4 or 5 hours after Sundays brunch.
Jack Hammer will be working today. I hope he is gentle.

I will post more as the room empties day by day.

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-11-07 09:33 ]

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-11-07 09:34 ]

OUUUCH! That hurts deeply. So much for cold hard reality.

On 2006-11-07 08:36, dibroc wrote (from Otto) :
Here are the details from a hotel/business perspective: The GM at the Hanalei was told that the renovations had to take place. The property was audited by the parent company and evaluated and one recommendation was to consolidate the restaurants into one larger full-service one with increased seating.

Tiki history? Book of Tiki? Tiki revival? Who? What?

The entire waterway from lobby and into the restaurant is going away...

I was afraid of that. Too high maintenance, of course. This was the only place I know of besides the Chicago Marriott Kona Kai that still had fully working waterways, fed by waterfalls and crossed by Tiki-railed bridges, once a defining feature of classic Tiki supper clubs. Everybody at the last Oasis can be glad they got to see it.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-11-07 09:37 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 9:56 AM

"...lush tropical plants, tropical landscaping around the entire hotel..."

Goodbye Hanalei. I have a really bad feeling about their future and it involves PARROTS.

I'm sooooo sad. Walking the bamboo bridge into The Islands was magical, simply magical. I have to go cry now.....

D

On 2006-11-06 10:24, DawnTiki wrote:
:( I see no need to fret....not yet at least...to keep with the the eternal sunshine of the spotless mindset (I like to live in...:roll:) why assume a renovation will be for the worse? With Oasis being held there maybe management might be starting to "SEE THE LIGHT" and going for the temple of tiki it once was. It could happen...just maybe... :( I hope the locals can keep Tiki Centralites updated on the potential progress or demise of The Islands, while we nervously nibble on our fingertips waiting for future progress reports.

....nevermind....we're doomed :cry:

This is VERY sad. The pictures just ripped my heart out. At least I got to see the place at the Tiki Oasis this year.

What a shame. :(

Jeff

H

I'm very sad they're removing the water features -- that was what really made the Islands feel like you were sitting in the middle of a gorgeous postcard.

I would never tell anyone not to write an establishment to let them know how much you value their tikiness, but I just don't think it will change this course. It's just too late. Perhaps if we'd known about this months ago, but now it's a fait accompli.

The post of Otto's email is a bit hard to read; here's a summary of what's going on, taken from a post I just made on my blog:

Here’s a quick summary:

-  The hotel’s name is changing. The new name is not known, but it will no longer have “Hanalei” in it. According to Otto, “This was mandated in order to raise the status of the property.”  
-  The Islands Restaurant “[is] going to be more TROPICAL than TIKI,” per the GM.  
-  The waterfalls and the waterway into the restaurant are being removed.  
-  The Dragon Room will be removed.  
-  The bamboo in the Islands is staying, the glass floats might stay, but all the other tiki decor in the restaurant is being removed. It’s not known yet what the fate of these items will be. There’s a chance the artifacts will be put on dispay for Tiki Oasis attendees, but this has not been worked out yet. The large outrigger sign is staying.  
-  On the first day of renovation, all of the artifacts in the Islands Restaurant have been removed and boxed up for storage.  
-  The Islands Restaurant’s monkeypod tables are staying, and $38,000 is being spent to refinish them.  
-  Some walls are being knocked down, and an outdoor patio is being added, to expand seating.  
-  Windows are being added to overlook the patio and pool.  
-  Food & drink menu will be unchanged. Tiki mugs will be used for serving.  
-  Carved railings removed from the Islands Restaurant will be relocated into the tropical, tikified Atrium area in the hotel tower.  
-  Landscaping is being enhanced with a $20,000 budget, and fresh palapas have been added.  
-  Room rates are increasing, but this won’t affect Tiki Oasis 2007, because Otto locked those rates in before these changes.  

Bottom line: the Red Lion Hanalei Hotel is a conference hotel. They're courting large group reservations, not individual reservations, and large groups want a large restaurant, not a tikiphile's dream. It can't hurt to let them know the historic value of what they have (although I can't imagine they don't know this, now that they've been working so much with Otto).

The big thing that's at risk at this point are all those artifacts that have been removed from the Islands and are now boxed up. It sounds very much like they haven't figured out what they're going to do with it, which sounds to me like it's at risk of going home with somebody. Perhaps write to the Hanalei to express a desire to see the items remain visible on property somewhere?

On 2006-11-07 09:34, bigbrotiki wrote:

The entire waterway from lobby and into the restaurant is going away...

I was afraid of that. Too high maintenance, of course. This was the only place I know of besides the Chicago Marriott Kona Kai that still had fully working waterways, fed by waterfalls and crossed by Tiki-railed bridges, once a defining feature of classic Tiki supper clubs. Everybody at the last Oasis can be glad they got to see it.

Lotus Garden, Indianapolis, In. still has a small waterfall & stream crossed by a bridge with a Moai supported railing:

What about the clamshell water fall behind the sushi bar? Did I miss news on it's fate?

This sort of thing REALLY upsets Mrs.Mojo and myself! :x

We both belong to the National Trust for Historic Preservation http://www.nationaltrust.org/
since we own a historically registered 1895 Queen Anne Victorian home and live in a registered historic district.

I suggest that all of you who have posted here, are passionate about our "historic" Tiki venues, go to the above link and join. Then as a group we can start to point out the historic relevance of these Hotels, Restaurants and Bars and start getting "Government" protection of these important and Beautiful locations!

We both felt SICK when very recently we read the post about Portland's Jasmine Tree Restaurant closing down in less than 6 weeks after our visit. We had spent hours there dining, drinking, hanging out and taking photos and we heard nothing about this future closure.

The biggest problems with trying to protect ANY site even with the backing of our local and government agencies are these:

Fighting BIG corporations with LOTS of money -when the Hotel/Bar/Restaurant is owned now by a larger "corporate" entity they seldom care about "historic" issues ONLY PROFITS...they also can afford the lawyers and the pay offs to make the changes regardless.

Knowing about a change or closure BEFORE it happens! Once the permits are issued, workers hired and plans made it is pretty difficult to get in on time to stop this devistation...unless of course you want to play the roll of TIKI ACTIVIST and chain yourself to a Tiki somewhere to halt workers and get enough media attention to increase public awareness!

Lastly: defining WHAT is historic?
While we here at TC love all of these places, are they OLD ENOUGH, HISTORICALLY RELEVANT ENOUGH to warrant local and government agencies, not to mention the local public, to step in and do something to save and preserve these as Landmarks?

We watch this in our own neighborhood everyday! One very old and beautiful building gets demolished to put in new generic, stucco crap while another seemingly uninteresting old building or location is preserved and not allowed to be used for the better because it IS defined as Historic! It can be and does become a "double edged sword"!

Again I say, especially today voting day, if you want to stop these losses go to http://www.nationaltrust.org/ and join and start making Tiki Locations be seen as something TO BE PRESERVED!! Or find any other State or local organization you can join to raise awareness before ALL our Original treasured Tiki locations become another generic, mass marketed, corporate owned company or dissappear all together!

G

Wasn't the Kahiki on the National List of Historic Places? Anybody know if that at least slowed down its destruction?

H

Another update: Joel Delano, banquet manager at the Hanalei, has posted a comment on my blog, giving a bit more info. He says that the hotel is becoming a Crown Plaza hotel, and will be renamed the "Crown Plaza San Diego." He says he "was quite thrilled when Tiki Oasis came this last year. I hope that all of the removed artifacts find their way back on property in time for Tiki Oasis this coming year."

Here's a link to my blog post with his comment:
http://blog.humuhumu.com/2006/11/07/islands-update-here-come-the-jackhammers

His blog is the one that tipped me off on the changes at the Islands -- he's posted a new entry today, giving a bit of an update. He says that some walls were ripped out today, that at least one of the waterfalls might survive the remodel, but that the others are scheduled to be removed, and the waterway filled in. He says that he thinks the glass floats (which came down on Sunday) are not going up again.

Here's a link to his blog post:
http://joeldelanoreis.blogspot.com/2006/11/islands-drop-lights.html

On 2006-11-07 12:15, GatorRob wrote:
Wasn't the Kahiki on the National List of Historic Places? Anybody know if that at least slowed down its destruction?

Yes, I believe it WAS! Again, that just pisses me off! I never even got to visit it!
The problem is that even when a location IS registered it still takes MONEY, public, private, government, it's got to come from somewhere. From what I heard/read about the Kahiki was that it had been closed for quite awhile and VERY run down and in poor repair. When there are safety issues it becomes very difficult to protect. But that was another location that I believe was bought up by a large corporation, (Walmart if I'm not mistaken?).
Getting a property registered as a Historic Landmark is just one step towards preservation NOT a guarantee!

Here are some images from last years Tiki Oasis of the treasured items I believe we WON'T be seeing again for 2007! :cry:

Are they willing to hold all The Tikiness (especial The Luau stuff) they're not planning on putting back in for an Auction at TO7?!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 1:11 PM

Those last pictures at Oasis 2006 look great. They look like postcards from 1964.

Bottom line; the problem is that the hotel changes can't be protested by TC members, because the entire Tiki Community is about to stay there next summer and give them our money! And Otto can't get out of it, he seems to be pretty locked in - money has probably already crossed palms.

Don't kid yourselves, the hotel wants Oasis 2007 there, I wouldn't believe anything management says about 'preservation', one way or da other.

H

I hope no one out there is thinking that this means they want to sit out of Oasis as protest. That would only hurt Oasis and Otto -- it doesn't hurt the hotel if people don't book for Oasis, it only hurts Otto, as he's on the line for those rooms. Otto has booked all the rooms, and he's paying for them one way or another.

Aside from all that, the hotel is simply still a great venue for Oasis, even with this huge loss. There are still amazing artifacts on the grounds, especially in the Atrium area in the hotel's tower.

If you want to contact the hotel (again -- likely a lost cause, but what the hey), consider letting them know that you'll be there at Oasis, that you enjoy the hotel outside of Oasis because of its tiki history, and you would like to see as much of that history remain as possible. At this point, the Islands is a lost cause, but the future of the items they've taken down, and the future of the other tiki things still there, is not.

MN

I'll have a few more pics later tonight.

All the tikiness is locked up tight! And there is bubble wrap on the railings.
Yes, the artifacts will be dispursed around the hotel. What I suggest is that everyone who has taken pics of The Islands put there photos of the tiki peices on either Flickr or Shutterfly. Then we the TCers can have a scavanger hunt via digicams. It could be an event at Oasis. Most of the digi cams are set up with the time the pic was taken. So, the event could start at the bar with a mandatory two drink start. Non drinkers have to wear a pirate patch. Then gamers have to be back at a specific time with the proof. No pics are allowed timed/dated prior to start time.
The winners is the one with the most pics. The winner also has to buy the bar a round. Hmmm, this may require more thought.

On 2006-11-07 12:44, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:

On 2006-11-07 12:15, GatorRob wrote:

Yes, I believe it WAS! Again, that just pisses me off! I never even got to visit it!
The problem is that even when a location IS registered it still takes MONEY, public, private, government, it's got to come from somewhere. From what I heard/read about the Kahiki was that it had been closed for quite awhile and VERY run down and in poor repair. When there are safety issues it becomes very difficult to protect. But that was another location that I believe was bought up by a large corporation, (Walmart if I'm not mistaken?).
Getting a property registered as a Historic Landmark is just one step towards preservation NOT a guarantee!

The Kahiki was on the National List of Historic Places but needed to be on the Local List in order to be saved. The Kahiki was NEVER closed until the Bon Voyage Kahiki party on August 26, 2000. Up until then it was open every day. Michael Tsao wanted to sell and Walgreens was ready to buy. End of story. It did need plumbing repair (especially to the basement) but the place was still fully operational. It all comes down to MONEY.

Cheers,
Jeff

H

:down: Before

:down: After

These photographs were taken by Joel Delano, the banquet manager for the Hanalei Hotel, and are from his blog. He also pieced together some before & after panoramas of the restaurant. He posted these photos on Wednesday; the demolition work has probably progressed since then, but this is his most recent update on the state of the restaurant.

http://joeldelanoreis.blogspot.com/2006/11/compare-and-contrast.html

Sorry that I have been lax in posting some pics.

Also, I was looking through the first Tikimag and wondered if the Hanalei remembers it.

My third "Tiki Road Trip" was in August, the week before Tiki Oasis (I did not know about this until after my trip was booked). Even though I was staying at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in the marina district due to business the week before, I was able to spend the next week exploring some of the well known Tiki establishments I remembered from my youth and re-discovered in my adult years.

I was able to make a concerted effort to visit all of the highlights I wanted to see. I even picked up an Outrigger Pineapple Mug at an obscure antique shop close to my hotel!!

The most impressive of all (Mr. Tiki, Bali Hai, Humphreys, Trader Morts and Hanalei) was the Hanalei (Bali Hai a so very close second). After a rather long cab ride from the marina, I sat at the bar and enjoyed several Mai Tais before having dinner in the Islands. The drinks were great, the food was excellent and the post-dinner walk through the remaining areas I had not yet explored were pleasurable.

I was very impressed this establishment survived through all the years of change and adopted past business's lost treasures. I remember growing up in LA as a kid visiting my great aunt and uncle in Oceanside, we always went to San Diego and we either went to the Hanalei or Bali Hai for lunch or dinner on these excursions.

I am surprised that in light of the re-newed interest in Tiki and Polynesian culture, this is direction the management decided to go. Then again, the same masterminds in thought closed the only good Hawaiian establishment in Sacramento in favor of Italian food.

Anyway, I have old and recent memories of a wonderful place in my heart and mind and hopefully it won't change too drastically.

The Hanalei, even though it may be changed, will not die, because of TCers like us all.

Long live the Hanalei!!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

On 2006-11-11 19:28, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
My third "Tiki Road Trip" was in August, the week before Tiki Oasis.

You are in luck. You were actually a week and a year early.

Time to schedual next years tiki trip.

Oh no...Something was going on the next week in Catalina. I thought it was the "Tiki Oasis". Either way, sorry I missed both and will try and attend the next one!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

I'm glad I decided to take my parents there late September when they visited here, little did I know that it was at the nick of time.

We can be furious all we want, won't help, just goes to show that we need to see everything that's available now, because we can never know if it'll be there in the future.

Ran

This royaly sucks!!!! We lose the Royal Hawaiian, then Sam's Seafood, and now the Hanalei. And all within a several month timeframe.

We could have only hoped that Tiki Oasis showed the suits that Tiki is worthy. But the Jimmy Buffettization of 'tropical' decor continues to march along it's destructive and non-descript way.

What would be cool is if the decor from the Hanalei goes to restore the Bali Hai. But I doubt The Man would allow that.

Once again (and pardon my language), CRAP!!!!!!!

This whole thing is killing me. How do we stop it?
Maybe we'll see more places like Forbidden Island start popping up and take the helm. Just such a pisser.....damn!

As I was going through some video over the weekend I came across some footage of the now defunct Isander waterfall. Thought I would take a minute and share it with ya.
Here you go:
Hanalei Hotel 06

Very sad indeed... This was one of my favorite places to visit in San Diego.

A

Thanks for posting Randy,
Happy Birthday
Mahalo,
Al

P

Such sad news. :(

But Thanks for the video...even if I don't remember it ever being that smoky. :wink:

TB

Damn, i was looking forward to booking the Dragon Room for Tiki Oasis again.

On 2006-11-13 22:07, Chongolio wrote:
As I was going through some video over the weekend I came across some footage of the now defunct Isander waterfall. Thought I would take a minute and share it with ya.
Here you go:
Hanalei Hotel 06

Very sad indeed... This was one of my favorite places to visit in San Diego.

Great video!!! I wonder how many other Oasis 6 attendees will be thinking "I should have video taped the restaurant too!"????
As you stated...Thanks for the memories!

I have hours of footage from the past oasis including Bosko's Hanalei tour in its entirety.

It has been documented and will be available for public viewing someday.

I'd buy that DVD.

On 2006-11-13 19:19, Matt Reese wrote:
This whole thing is killing me. How do we stop it?
Maybe we'll see more places like Forbidden Island start popping up and take the helm. Just such a pisser.....damn!

Matt,

While I TRULY LOVE Forbidden Island and wouldn't mind seeing more of the like, the thing we at TC need to start doing is saving the Tiki History that we have!

You asked, "How do we stop it?", I'm glad you asked!
I already posted suggestions to that question on this very thread but because of the continued worries and the fact that I've seen so many places of Tiki History disappear into memories just this year alone I am starting a new thread under General Tiki called "SAVE OUR TIKI HISTORY". I will post all the info I could gather today plus some photos of the now departed Jasmine Tree in Portland and will hope that members of TC will take it seriously enough to get involved and post what they learn.

Maybe we'll actually see that Tiki Museum idea come to light and with that many of our favorite old Tiki locations saved as HISTORICAL LANDMARKS!

S

I've been away from TC for a bit, this is what happens when I blink.

I'm in anguish.

Our beloved Hanalei becomes yet ANOTHER location in our photo gallery I'll have to relist as RIP- or at least changed (again) beyond any recognition. I KNEW we needed to make last year's Oasis! Damn!

OakTiki and I only got to enjoy the Islands on two trips through San Diego, but it was truely one of the most evocative 'stepping into a postcard' locales we had left. I'm heartbroken.

Fix yerself a good stiff drink, then take a looksee at what we just lost- a few pages worth of documentation we took back in May 2005- http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/Hanalei-and-Islands

"You're getting more interesting by the drink!" -Pepe le Tiki

[ Edited by: Sabina 2006-11-14 19:43 ]

A couple more pics.

not good

ugh .

We used to go drink there in the mid 90's and it was amazing . . . we hadn't been back since they started remodeling it and now it looks like all I'll have now is drunken memmories ! ! !

Pages: 1 2 3 95 replies