Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Did the comic strip Crock have a tiki in it?

Pages: 1 11 replies

MR

This is driving me crazy but I could swear I remember a moai type tiki that one of the characters would go seek advice from. I know it's out there. I just want an image of it.
Anybody?

that was b.c. i believe.

C

You got me... I thought it was Wizard of Id. I did come across this info at Toonpedia that may answer for the blurry recollections.

The Wizard of Id is the brainchild of Johnny Hart, who had already achieved success with B.C., and Brant Parker, a newcomer to comics when the strip debuted on Nov. 9, 1964 (who later became known for Out of Bounds and Crock). It made its mark very quickly — the first of dozens of paperback collections came in 1965, and all of them have remained continuously in print.

I am going to go with my boy Matt and say the oracle tiki was in Crock. Wizard of Id already had the wizard to handle any soothsaying needs. I also came across this info on wikipedia regarding BC:

Beginning in the 1990s, the strip increasingly incorporated religious, social, and political commentary, reflecting the renewal of Hart's evangelical Christianity and the development of his conservative convictions. Although other major syndicated strips include sociopolitical statements, B.C. is the most prominent to routinely carry overtly Christian messages

I dunno I remember something in the bible about not asking false idols for advice. So I am ruling BC out.

I used to know things like this. Important Things

Chongolio

MR

I think the character Maggot was the one who would ask the tiki for advice. I've just gotta have a pic of that thing.

????? Wasn't Crock set in the Algerian Desert??? Why would there be a tiki there?

It was Crock.

There used to be a Moai-looking idol called Nebookaneezar (sp?) that Maggot would go to for advice.

Hasn't appeared in years and I have yet to find an image of it online.

MR

Yes! I knew it wasn't my imagination. I was off as far as the name goes but it's good to know someone else remembers it. Still looking for an image.

Sherman's Lagoon has a Moai

OGR

Is this it? The best I could find so far.

I should have mentioned that this thread is 3 years old :D Matt may not give a crock anymore.

OGR

That is what happens when a dumbass new guy is Crocked. Dawn, Another Zombie...please?

He looks more like a Sphinx than a Moai...

Pages: 1 11 replies