Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Missing/Stolen Original Sculpture: Mystery Solved. Moron in Custody. See Story Pg 3.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

S
squid posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 9:59 PM

Howdy folks-
Just posting to let you all know that a certain sculpt of mine has gone missing from its rightful place in my display cabinet. If any sharp eyes come upon it, I would be grateful for a heads-up.

If someone should wish to return it, regardless of how they acquired it, no questions asked.

Thanks.
squid

[ Edited by: squid 2007-04-16 09:53 ]

wow... speechless, heads up. I had a production edition of the totem pole stolen right at Disneyland. It felt shity. But nothing compared. What can or might we do to help? I hope it suddenly just reappears.

K

That stinks - forgive my ignorance, but can I assume you're talking about the white sculpture on the right, not the brown mug on the left?

Hope it turns up.

MN

in my display cabinet.

When you say "rightful place, in my display cabinet" are you really saying from your home? :x

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-11-08 06:52 ]

T

This sounds like a job for 'Tiki Dick' Private Eye !!!

T

On 2006-11-08 07:28, TikiLaLe wrote:
This sounds like a job for 'Tiki Dick' Private Eye !!!

I think we need Tom Lopaka from 'Hawaiian Eye', or Steve McGarrett from Five-O on the case.

Hope you find the missing item. That really stinks.

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 8:25 AM

Yup, It's the white (actually light gray)sculpture on the right and it's gone from my house. No mugs missing .

I keep a pretty open home (well, up until now) and many folks have been over to check out the studio, get sculpting tips, just visit, whatever. Now I have to go all Homeland Security.

I'm just hoping that whoever nicked it will be stupid enough to show it off to a TCer or try to sell it on eBay.

So if you hear of its existance in someone's collection or see it for sale somewhere, I'd appreciate knowing so I can try to retrieve it. No nastiness, I'd just like to have it back (so my kids can sell it for $5 at a yard sale after I croak:)).

FYI: It's about 10% larger than the mug and made of a hard tooling wax (not sticky).

THANKS AGAIN!

what a bummer....you open your house and mind to people and this is how you are repayed. Some of the lessons you learn in life are bittersweet. Sorry my friend.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:07 AM

Dude, this sucks completely!!! GROG sorry to hear about this.

D
dibroc posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:09 AM

WOW, I am speechless here. The loss of the sculpt is bad enough but the idea that someone who was welcomed in as a friend would treat you like this, WOW.

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:17 AM

On 2006-11-08 08:46, smgleason47 wrote:
what a bummer....you open your house and mind to people and this is how you are repayed.

Thanks for the condolances everyone. Perhaps when I opened my mind they got scared and panicked!

Grog, you get the full body cavity search next time you come over for lunch. :wink:

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:19 AM

ouch, so its not a mug after all. No one can really display it or look at it in the open. Not really worth having. But hopefully we don't start seeing fakes of this mug sold over in Canada or China.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:32 AM

Grog, you get the full body cavity search next time you come over for lunch. :wink:

That only makes GROG want to come by all the more.

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 11:54 AM

On 2006-11-08 09:19, teaKEY wrote:
But hopefully we don't start seeing fakes of this mug sold over in Canada or China.

Doubt it. Would you go up against Disney, Shag AND Tiki Farm? Plus we got TC Five-0!

R

On 2006-11-08 08:25, squid wrote:
I keep a pretty open home (well, up until now) and many folks have been over to check out the studio, get sculpting tips, just visit, whatever. Now I have to go all Homeland Security.

What a rotten thing to happen to such a great guy! I sent Squid an e-mail once, asking him what kind of wax he uses for his sculpts, and he replies with an invitation to come on over to check out the studio, and to walk me through the whole process. He didn't need to do that, he could've just sent a simple reply and let it go at that. But he did, and it was a real thrill and honor to take him up on his invite, and I did get a lot of great sculpting tips.

Squid, if I didn't say it enough, thanks again! And I hope you recover your missing sculpt!

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 12:38 PM

Thanks Ran! Keep on sculptin'...

I thought I saw it at GROG's house..... :lol:

H

That is so unspeakably rotten. It's shocking that someone would take such a treasured and personal item from you. I hope whoever has it comes to their senses and gets it back to you. I've posted an alert on my blog to help spread the word and get more eyeballs on the lookout.

T

'Tiki Dick' Private Eye flying into LAX. This case will be solved before you know it.

'Tiki Dick's' security force : http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6ce25b3127cce8db57aae6fb400000016100AZtWLZm2ZsWJg

It's just so DUMB!

As TeaKey pointed out, the thief can't show it to a single person who would appreciate it!! What's the fun of that!?!

If I had a one-of-a-kind piece of art, I'd want to show it off to/share it with the whole world! Or at least all the people who liked that kind of art! Or at least my close friends who liked it! Or, um, my dog???

This clown stole the sculpt to show to his dog, I guess. Sure hope the pooch likes tiki....

Sorta makes me think of the "Just Shoot Me" episode where Nina Van Horne's famous swimsuit poster bikini gets bought by a private Japanese collector....and we see in the last scene his wearing it while boogie-ing in his bedroom. Eeww.

K

When the culprit is found, can we draw and quarter 'em?...pretty please?!? :D

Sorry to hear you had such a violation of trust. Hope your sculpt turns up safe and sound...
K.

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2006-11-08 15:40 ]

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 1:57 PM

On 2006-11-08 13:28, Formikahini wrote:

Sorta makes me think of the "Just Shoot Me" episode where Nina Van Horne's famous swimsuit poster bikini gets bought by a private Japanese collector....and we see in the last scene his wearing it while boogie-ing in his bedroom. Eeww.

That gives me some scary visuals of what someone may be doing with.....oh never mind.

But seriously, we've had mass quantities of people through the house as it's been worked on for the past year. Some plumber or electrician could have taken it. It was just in the china hutch in the kitchen and easily grabbed in a heartbeat. Why someone took it? Who knows. Karma will eventually prevail on this one.

Thanks for the blog blast Humuhumu!

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 1:58 PM

On 2006-11-08 13:23, TikiLaLe wrote:
'Tiki Dick' Private Eye flying into LAX. This case will be solved before you know it.

'Tiki Dick's' security force : http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6ce25b3127cce8db57aae6fb400000016100AZtWLZm2ZsWJg

Could be a "rrrrrruff" job!

K

There are sick people out there that are in posession of stolen items they can never show off. They keep it under lock and key (so someone doesn't steal it from them), they get their kicks out of just knowing they have it...

P
pdrake posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 2:49 PM

i saw this crazy guy standing on the corner in front of the liquer store selling some stature.

Wow, that a really clear image you got with you camera phone...

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 4:10 PM

EEEEWWWWW...I don't thnk I want it back now. Do you know where Grog's hands have been?

U

I might be way off base but here goes. If you haven't had a breakin and there is no money, jewelry, firearms or electronics missing, nobody flew in from Chicago to pull this job.

Children? Maybe an accident? Any debris or chips around the area where it was stored? Maybe friends of the children? Maybe? Uncrichie...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 5:14 PM

that sucks man. May the tiki gods plan their revenge

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 5:27 PM

On 2006-11-08 17:08, uncrichie wrote:
I might be way off base but here goes. If you haven't had a breakin and there is no money, jewelry, firearms or electronics missing, nobody flew in from Chicago to pull this job.

Children? Maybe an accident? Any debris or chips around the area where it was stored? Maybe friends of the children? Maybe? Uncrichie...

Not off base at all, Unc. All of that is possible. Hell, I can't find my car in the Home Depot parking lot. Just wanted to get the word out early in case it does show up on the open market. Thus the title "Missing/Stolen". I ain't mad and I ain't blamin' nobody.

No evidence of any kind, just a dust-free circle where it once proudly stood.

Now please excuse me while I interrogate all the Republicans in my neighborhood. They're not very chipper today. :)hehehehe

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 6:32 PM

What a rotten thing to happen to such a great guy! I sent Squid an e-mail once, asking him what kind of wax he uses for his sculpts, and he replies with an invitation to come on over to check out the studio, and to walk me through the whole process. He didn't need to do that, he could've just sent a simple reply and let it go at that. But he did, and it was a real thrill and honor to take him up on his invite, and I did get a lot of great sculpting tips.

So........... you've been to Squid's studio and seen all his stuff, have you...............?

(Grog raises eyebrow in suspicion)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............. GROG wonder who else has been over to Squid's studio for sculpting tips.
( Kirby, just leave it by the door at night while everybody's asleep, and no questions will be asked)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 6:53 PM

On 2006-11-08 14:49, pdrake wrote:
i saw this crazy guy standing on the corner in front of the liquer store selling some stature.

Ohhhhhhhhh............... THAT sculpt! Ummmmmmm..........GROG was just...... HOLDING it for....uhhhhhh........ KIRBY!!! Yeah, that's it. GROG was just holding it for Kirby while he was in the liquor store buying cigarettes!!!
Kirby told GROG he had just sculpted it himself, and GROG naively believe Kirby. Yeah that's it.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 7:03 PM

But seriously, we've had mass quantities of people through the house as it's been worked on for the past year. Some plumber or electrician could have taken it. It was just in the china hutch in the kitchen and easily grabbed in a heartbeat. Why someone took it? Who knows. Karma will eventually prevail on this one.

GROG doubt that a plumber or electrician would've known to take THAT particulr object from so many other shiny objects they could've taken. GROG say let's make a list of all the TCers/sculpters who've been through the house recently, and let's start the cavity searches now. GROG volunteer to be first for cavity search to be eliminated as a suspect.

K

On 2006-11-08 19:03, GROG wrote:

GROG volunteer to be first for cavity search to be eliminated as a suspect.

Thanks for the visual,GROG, thanks a lot! :roll:

Now I need a :drink:

...hey, thanks!

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 6:04 AM

"GROG volunteer to be first for cavity search to be eliminated as a suspect."

That sent a shiver down my back that won't leave.

S
squid posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2007 9:49 AM

The sculpt has been recovered! The ever-so absent minded one (that would be ME) had hastily packed it away in a frenzy of moving crap to do remodeling. I found it Friday while digging out stuff for the Tiki Farm parking lot shindig.
It's so great that everyone here would keep their eyes peeled and look out for me. Thanks. Case closed. Book me Dano.

D

good Squid did not see me put it back.

Squid has got some pretty good reef.

How can Dave sculpt when the right hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing? :lol:

Book me Dano.

Hilarious!

Reminds me of a time when one of the gals at work silently blamed everyone who had recently attended a party she gave of stealing her $5000 wedding ring that she had placed by the kitchen sink. Thank goodness I didn't go to that party...but it was tense at work for about 3 weeks, some friendships ruined. The climax came when she had to eat crow and admit she found her ring in the corner on the carpeting under their bar while she was vacuuming.

I applaud you for admitting to your memory loss....welcome to the Alzheimers club. :D

Hip-hip-her-ray no, Hip-hip-a- hula! Glad ya Have it!

T

On 2007-04-16 11:23, little lost tiki wrote:
How can Dave sculpt when the right hand doesn't even know what the left hand is doing? :lol:

/obvious

T

Don't you see what the drugs are doing to you ????

J

Nice lighter! :wink:

Dave doesn't do drugs....Dave IS drugs!
Try talking to him....he's a maniac!
Who needs meds when a chemical imbalance of the brain does just fine for him!
:)
Nice lighter!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-04-18 09:17 ]

T

Since this is a dead thread, I just have to say, TikiLaLe is certainly a different angle on TC or just says whatever he(?) wants but its certainly a needed take. Maybe a little blunt, but opposites are what the world is made of. The good and the bad are present in everything. I like the quick little quips

Pages: 1 2 69 replies