Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Chop Chop - new date 1/20 at 4WDTiki's in O'side

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

M

After the Left Coast Oki Oki, people said they'd be up to doing some backyard group carving, so I'm thinking about having a little backyard carving day on Saturday, December 2nd, I live in Tierrasanta, about 3 miles east of the San Diego Rockler.

I can supply some food, and if people need wood, Bay Park Buzzy offered that I could get some logs from his pile, but it would be a lot of driving around.

My yard should be able to hold 10-12 carvers. Who's interested?

I'll want email address to send directions to, but please respond on this thread if you're interested.

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-11-15 14:47 ]

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-12-07 09:26 ]

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-12-29 22:41 ]

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 1:21 PM

Hey, free food and a day of group chopping? I'm there, Saturday is perfect. The new chisels should be here by then...

M
Moki posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 10:13 PM

We're up for it too. Sounds like fun. Check your PM's

B

Count me in! If Buzzy is donating palm logs, I can bring some over in my truck. I don't know Buzzy though, so we'll have to work it out somehow.

Well, kukui nuts! I'll be in Pheonix and Sedona over turkey week.

Buzzy here, confirming my attendance to the event. I'll need log count(how many I need to bring), so if you need log, let me know about the size, etc. so I'll have time to go get them. Thanks
Buzzy

M

Well, it sounds like there may be a few more people who could make it on Dec 2nd, would that date work for everyone? If not, we can go with a small one on the 25th, and plan for another soon. :)

I need a log....

I would like to participate....

C

Hey, Hodad Hank and NoNaMe! Can you make it on Dec. 2nd?

I'll come either or both days, and I need no log Buzzy, but thanks.

Hey, what is the best online source for Flexcut tools? Go direct to them or is there some secret underground retailer 'chiseling down' prices???

B

I can make it on either date.

I read my last post again, and it looks like what I wrote might be confusing. I meant to write that I could help Buzzy bring the logs he has if there are going to be too many to bring in one shot. It looks like what I wrote could be misunderstood to mean that I would be bringing logs from my own pile (of which I don't have!)

All I have are small eucalypus scraps, if anyone wants one of those!

On 2006-11-14 11:58, Tikidav wrote:
I meant to write that I could help Buzzy bring the logs he has if there are going to be too many to bring in one shot.

I understood just fine...thanks for the offer! I wanted to get an idea of how many I need to bring, so i can ask for help if needed. I can usually fit about 4-6 logs per trip in my truck, and I know I'm going up there at least once in the next few days. So far i think I need only 2?

Either weekend, or both works for me as well...

Buzzy

B

I have a Log, I just need a Ride!

B

Hey Buzzy-Just let me know if you will be needing help hauling. How big are the logs? Are they palm? If you are donating, please put me down for one. Thanks!

M
Moki posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 12:51 PM

We're in too and please put us down for a log.

are we shooting for dec 2nd??? that would work better for me......but that is just little old me

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 1:13 PM

Just contacted NoNaMe and he says Dec. 2nd would work better. HodadHank, where are you bud?

Actually, you have a fair amount of people either date, what ya think Mieko?

M
mieko posted on Wed, Nov 15, 2006 1:35 PM

Well, it looks like everyone can make it on the 2nd, so let's go ahead and move it. I'm going to try to get my dad's truck and get some logs from Buzzy so he won't have to bring them all. It looks like we'll need at least 5 logs, and I wouldn't mind having extras at my house. :) Maybe we can have Buzzy bring his planer to strip them so we can see how cool it is.

M

Hey Cammo, you were asking about where to get flexcut tools, it looks like there are a few places that have discounts if you just search for flexcut, but I don't have experience with any of them.

I did get an email coupon from Rockler, $15 off $50 purchase for this weekend. I might be able to forward it if you didn't get it. It seems like their email list is worth signing up for.

I bought all my flexcut stuff at
http://www.cybercarving.com/
Dennis, the owner, will order any individual tools for you also. Discounts run about 15-25% off list prices, and` there are occasional sales. I picked up the Sculptor's Mallet set for $94, postage included, a couple months back. He also gives you a better deal when he becomes familiar with you.
Cammo, if you need one, I have a complete flexcut catalogue you could check out.
Buzzy

I AM IN! I WILL NEED A LOG. If it gets dicey I can come/go up and get logs. I think I could get five three footers in the cherokee.

Or I could just pick up five for myself. :0 :) :)

I'm in! PM'ing you, Mieko.

Cripes! I think I'll still have holiday squatters then. I've got to double check...

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 6:38 AM

HodadHankster - bring the Squatters! Maybe you can slip away and leave them at Mieko's!

Thanks for the Flexcut tips - I'm getting a Sculptors Set and a simple 1" flat chisel, my fave. Do ya think Flexcut is wondering why everyone in California is suddenly ordering Sculptor Sets???

I'll be bringing food, by the by, at least;

• Crab Camaroon Won Tons
  • San Francisco 1961 Chinatown Egg Rolls
  • Kahlua Pork, Ono Style

And HodadHank's favorite . . .

• Toasted Coconut Chocolate Cheesecake

And I'm also making special Scorpion Bowls for the occasion, unfortunately they'll all say Cool Whip on the side.

I just saw this post!!!! I've missed the last 2 carving get togethers. I'm blowing off two parties on the 2nd for this!

I have a log, but since I'm no expert, I wouldn't mind ordering one up from Buzzy, just in case mine is not up to par.

I'm so in, I'm already there!

Hey folks,

I need to off-load some AAC blocks, so I'll be bringing several to pass around.

I'll also be bringing some island style macaroni-potato salad, hemp beer, and of course my APE CD. Way to start the holidays!

A-A

C

Um, hemp beer? HEMP BEER? Where has that been all my life?

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 6:57 AM

I thought Aaron "First in the Phone Book" was kidding. He ain't.

B

On 2006-11-18 20:53, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I need to off-load some AAC blocks, so I'll be bringing several to pass around.

Cool deal, Aaron. I was reading your threads on AAC and would very much like to get my hands on a piece. Hopefully I've got a log from Buzzy with my name on it, but I wouldn't want to be a hog and run off with a hunk O' AAC too. (unless there's an extra)

Who sells it in the San Diego area? Maybe somewhere in your posts has the answer, but there are so many posts about it I was getting dizzy. Thanks.

Don't worry Cammo, it'll get you no more buzzed than chewing on rope (while drinking beer).

Tikidav, I'll bring a bunch of blocks for everyone to take home. It's very messy carving AAC, and we won't want to polute Mieko's yard with all that AAC dust. On your question: You won't find AAC available west of Casa Grande, Arizona.

10" Mallet tools from flexcut

Also:
We were discussing going and getting logs soon, possibly caravan style. They are in Vista, and we could meet off the 78 at the Sycamore exit, if that would be easier for everyone who wants logS(emphasis on plural), let's make a time and day.
we get to choose from
pile #1: approx 40 logs, 7-10 months of drying time

Pile #2: approx 290 logs, 1 month drying time

I'll sit back and let you guys sort it all out. Let me know when you all want to go.
Buzzy

I Live right by there.

5 minutes away.

PM me if I can help.

B

Tikidav, I'll bring a bunch of blocks for everyone to take home. It's very messy carving AAC, and we won't want to polute Mieko's yard with all that AAC dust. On your question: You won't find AAC available west of Casa Grande, Arizona.

Okay, Aaron, very cool. Maybe we'll discuss about ACC more at the party. I only just now became aware of it.

I'm in.

I've got a log started that I want to get some more work done on.

I'd like to move logs discussion over to here:

Here is a post on the Sandiego Palm logs thread:

On 2006-11-21 10:36, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2006-11-21 08:53, Tikidav wrote:
1 Then are we taking these logs somewhere to be stored for later so they can dry out?
2 Where are we taking them?
3 Where are the logs for the party?
4 Do they need to be transported ahead of time?

1 You are basically taking the logs for your own use. I'm going to point to the pile and say, "Take whatever you want." The pile is fine where it is, so we are just taking what you want to use for your own use.
2 Did you clear out your side yard yet? After we have enough for the party, they go where they are needed. Hopefully to a good home, with a friendly carver who wants to free all those tikis trapped in the wood.
3 We will be getting the logs for the party when we all go to get our truckloads of logs. I thought this might be better for people who wanted more than 1 log. I plan on filling my truck up with the older logs at the small pile for the party, and i was hoping that others could bring 1 log, if needed, from your truckload to help the common cause. It sounds like Mieko and I can manage to get enough for the party and her needs, I was just opening this up so we could all get 4-5 logs each, for after the party. It's just good timimg to do this now, because we all are getting together, and we can all help each other out, and all get enough logs for party and personal use.
4 We are probably going to do this on Saturday.

ATTENTION Log Getters:

How is Saturday for getting the logs?
Maybe meet at the IHOP off sycamore at 10:30? 11:00?

Each pile is about 1-2 miles from the IHOP, in opposite directions

First I'll drive out to the big pile and anyone who wants those can load up. Then I'll take someone else out to the older pile to get the stuff for the party. I can probably carry 4-5 in my truck, so I'll probably just need one person to go out there with me, while everyone else is loading up with their own logs at the big pile.

Let me know
Buzzy

B

I will be glad to carry as many as I can for both the party and for my side yard.

10:30-11:00 at the IHOP works for me, but I'm not that familiar with Sycamore. Is the IHOP on the East or West side as you exit the 78?

M
mieko posted on Tue, Nov 21, 2006 1:31 PM

10:30 at IHOP sounds great, I believe it's just south of the freeway when you exit, on your right. It's really hard to miss. I've only been there once, but it's an easy one to find.

I've got at least 5 people confirmed as needing logs, and 3 other maybes, and I wouldn't mind having a few extras just in case, or as leftovers for myself. :)

I wasn't sure if Buzzy needed some for his house, but I was figuring if Tikidav can get 2 for the party, with Buzzy and I getting the rest, we'll be pretty set. I have some space at my house we can store logs, with a little cleaning I think we can get 10 of them on the side of my house if needed.

Are we going to meet in the parking lot, or do we want to get a table?

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Nov 21, 2006 7:49 PM

Um, slightly off topic but I just made a Killer Lounge Party Mix CD that features Keely Smith, Ella, Spy Themes, Les Baxter and Pink Martini especially for the Chop Chop. You gonna dig it cats, more music to chop by...

So how about:

Saturday 10:30 AM at the IHOP just south of the 78 at Sycamore. I'll be in my green toyota with a matching camper shell, sitting on the tailgate, on the north end of the IHOP parking lot. I'll get there at around 10:15, and hope to leave by 10:45. Please let me know before hand if you are meeting me here, so we will not leave you behind if you are running a couple minutes late.

Mieko: I have plenty of logs at home for myself. Tomorrow I'm going up there to grab 4-5 for the party, since I'll be right there anyway. On Saturday, We'll just work out between the two of us how many we need to get for you and the party, after we see how many people are needing logs after this weekend. I was planning on bringing what we pick up on Saturday straight to your house, and then we'll see if I need to bring any more during the next week.

Log Guy Buzzy Out!

I'll be there .
I wont be able to attend the party this time , but lets keep the heat on .

Maybe I'll even host the next one .

B

Okay Buzzy, I'll be on the lookout for a green on green Toyota in the IHOP lot. I'll be in a white Nissan pick-up and hopefully arriving around the same time.

Tools: Okay, for the carving novices here....what are the basic items we should bring? I started going through some of the threads and got dizzy! So, I'm hoping someone will take mercy on my lazy *ss.

Protective Gear: Gloves? Goggles? Bandages?

Work bench/log holder: What kind of stand/work bench should we bring or make?

Palm: What size log do you suggest for a first-timer also?

Log-a-gettin': I'm not familiar with the area, but if I can help out with log hauling/gettin' I will. I've got a small SUV. The seats fold down, so I can fit a few logs that are not bigger than 4 feet or so.

PM me if ya'll deem it necessary.

B

I wished that I could be there for the for the big cutting round up...but, the love of turkey is putting me on a plane tomorrow.

Sure would love to come drink a bottle of rope and chop on some wood with you all if you have space for one more? Have log, will travel...

B

On 2006-11-22 18:00, CheekyGirl wrote:
Work bench/log holder: What kind of stand/work bench should we bring or make?

Cheekygirl: Look at the pictures in this thread. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=17&topic=21732
There are what appear to be Black & Decker Workmates (I got mine at Lowes) and a few Burro Brand sawhorses that look like they've been modified for carving (which is a great idea!).

As for tools , I would say bring whatever you've got, and for safety gear, I dunno. Depends on how dangerous a carver you are! :)

M
Moki posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 10:29 PM

We're bringing six extra stands for anybody who needs one. They are the modified burro's.

CheekyGirl, we got you covered.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Nov 24, 2006 4:47 PM

I'll be at the IHOP 10:15-10:30ish, green Nissan Frontier. Buzzy - would having a dolly help at all? Once we get to my house, we'll be able to get the truck about 10-25 feet from where we want to store them, I can get a dolly if it'll help. I cleaned out my side yard a little bit, so hopefully it'll work out.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Nov 24, 2006 5:09 PM

Hey CheekyGirl,
As far as what to bring, for protective gear, I like goggles, but I don't bother with gloves. I'll have some band aids handy. :)
If you've got something for a stand, bring it, otherwise you can borrow one from Moki. Tools are probably the most important, do you have a mallet and at least some basic chisels?
We'll be getting logs tomorrow for everyone that needs them, so you can pick from what we've got.

Hey Babalu, We'd love to have you! We are getting pretty full, but I'd rather be a little crowded than turn anyone away. :)

I have access to 2 shade things, and the house provides some shade, but if anyone else has one they'd like to bring, it would be great. Otherwise people might want to bring some hats and sunscreen.

I have a dolly and I'll be there as planned.

10:15 IHOP parking lot. Leave at 10:45, or when all who have said they are going arrive. Whichever comes first.

See you Manana Buzzy Out!

cool beans. I do have goggles and some basic chisels and gouging tools, with the exception of the mallet, I think I'm good. I bring large beach umbrella, it may be of some use. See ya'll on the 2nd!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies