Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Chop Chop - new date 1/20 at 4WDTiki's in O'side

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

T

I would love to do this but I am tiki log deficient...Ideally I can pick up one before the chop chop... Also glad to bring libations, food etc.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 11:37 AM

Sunday is always a real bad day for me, but I can stop by for a while. The House of Buzz is becoming the #3 tourist destination in California, right after Disneyland and Golden Gate Park.

Hey, you gotta take a sunset photo with the carvers!

Cammo Out

Here's the two tikis (right two) I worked on at the Chop Chop, plus one extra (left one)!

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2006-12-09 11:07 ]

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Dec 9, 2006 4:19 PM

I can't make it on the 17th, Buzzy. I agree with Aaron that the Chop Chop series should continue, so thanks for keeping it going in December even though I won't be at this one.

4WD: Those are some rockin' Tikis! I'm going to post shots of mine from the Chop Chop in the next few days.

B

Hey Buzzy,

Just bopped back into SD last night...

I'm turned on to the idea of another chop on the 17th. No new chisels on my end (their on the X-mas list), but my HDepot ones are still kicking, and my teeth are sharp if I need-um.

Babalu

Cool pix.

Sweet Jeezuz! Who the hell let Moki run around with a chainsaw?... and I never noticed how often Cammo stands like Superman.

Anyway, lotsa good stuff guys...can't believe all the fun I missed.

Gonna have to go Chop Chop in the garage right now and pretend I'm surrounded by busy carving pals!

M
Moki posted on Mon, Dec 11, 2006 10:03 PM

We won't be able to make this one. It's geting pretty close to the holidays and we still have lots to do. Sorry to miss this one.

Hope you all have a good time. Enjoy Mieko's spam musubi's!!

B

I've been slacking a bit in the carving department, but here's some shots of the Tiki I started at Mieko's party.

The wood is a little wet the deeper I cut into it, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Gotta finish this guy up so I can get another going!

Thats looking fantastic so far.

I really like the lines and the depth of the cuts..

Cool.

no shit , that thing's pretty bitchen !

Been raining all Sunday night since just before midnight or so...
Think I sent messages to all it was a no go.
If not...
Hey! Bad weather. No Carving party :(

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-12-17 02:29 ]

On 2006-12-13 09:46, Tikidav wrote:
...here's some shots of the Tiki I started at Mieko's party...Gotta finish this guy up so I can get another going!

Looking good!

ok, so lets get this back in the works for january.....where and when!!!

On 2006-12-28 15:06, Clysdalle wrote:

I heard about this guy in Carlsbad that seems to have lots a room for carving. :) Or is that lots of carvings? :)

Me? I'm still game! How's Jan 20 work for everyone? To reset, I'm in south Oceanside, have a barren backyard bordering a large field, and a very large covered patio bordering the backyard.

Things I can and can't provide:
Can: logs, shade, seats, coolers, gas grill, electricity, stereo, lots of room.
Can't: food, drink. How's potluck and BYO sound?

I'm in...

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Dec 29, 2006 4:26 PM

That's Islamic New Year, so I'm IN, baby! Rock de Casbah!

On 2006-12-29 10:44, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2006-12-28 15:06, Clysdalle wrote:

I heard about this guy in Carlsbad that seems to have lots a room for carving. :) Or is that lots of carvings? :)

hahaa.......um, unless we build a floating dock to carve on, my entire yard consists of a pool...but i'm game, start lashing together some bamboo rafts!!

Jan 20th I'm in!!!

M

Sounds great! No football that day, so I'm free! I should be able to bring some musubi at least.

B

Right on! Count me in....

Will bring goodies...

Damn...got a Baby Shower to go to that day. :(

T

I would like to get in on the next "chop-chop" I will bring food and drinks and would be happy to host one of these at my house in Seal Beach.

H

Looks like I might be going.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 9:54 PM

Hey all you crazy carvers!

Do you want to recreate this event at Tiki Oasis live?

Or would you be interested in exhibiting the top 5 or ten Tikis resulting from the Chop Chop?

Either way it would give publicity/notoriety to your event.

Let me know if you are interested and we can brainstorm ways to make it happen Aug 17, 18 at the Hanalei

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 10:45 PM

Hey Otto,
I'll check with the "regulars" and see what people would be interested in doing and what their plans for the Oasis are. I'll send you a PM once I talk to a few people.
Mieko

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Jan 5, 2007 9:21 AM

I wanna go!

Can beginners come to the 1/20 chop chop? The Mr has just started carving (not too bad!) and I'd like to incurage him. Or is this gonna be something that moves along swiftly and for experts? Like an exhibit type event?

C

the more beginners the better..there is not really a pace...everyone chops at a log making whatever they want...walking around and checking out everyones tools and such...just a great vibe. Plus there will be spam wasubieeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze from meiko....yum!

C

On 2007-01-04 21:54, Otto wrote:
Hey all you crazy carvers!

Do you want to recreate this event at Tiki Oasis live?

Or would you be interested in exhibiting the top 5 or ten Tikis resulting from the Chop Chop?

Either way it would give publicity/notoriety to your event.

Let me know if you are interested and we can brainstorm ways to make it happen Aug 17, 18 at the Hanalei

I would love to do a live event....man, this club is going to need shirts and stickers and a logo and a team van and and and.....

ok, slowing down now. Yes, a live event would be great...

H

Oops... my Much-Better-Half and I will be out of town that day...

... we'll try to meet up with Gecko or Swanson for a Mai Tai. Maybe we'll get drunk and crank call the Chop Chop!

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jan 5, 2007 11:58 PM

This is really starting to turn into a club. SoCal Tiki Choppers. Sounds like a bike gang. :) haha

Hau 'oli Tiki and tikihai, you guys are welcome to come, the more the merrier - at least until we fill up the yard. :) It sounds like 4WDTiki's place should be roomy enough for everyone that's interested.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 6, 2007 7:44 AM

Hey Otto if you're reading this, here's some ideas, mebbe they work mebbe not;

• Cordon off a BIG area in the parking lot and just let the chips fly. First come first served, the area could have spaces for as many as 50 choppers at a time.

• Get Buzzy to sell raw palm logs for cheap, he has a lot of hauling and stripping of palm bark to do to each one, so I don't think giving them away is gonna work but he could sell 'em for 20 bucks and up. That ain't bad.

• Group projects! TEAMS! The Socal Choppers vs. OC Little Shavers in the tiki chop to end all tiki chops! You in, Bamboozled Benjamin? I dare ya! I double dog dare ya!

• Talks by pros, scheduled once or twice a day.

• Sponsors; Flexcut and Home Depot? Providing water and some door prizes?

• End-of-day sunset drinks; arrange the tikis in a circle-the-wagons around us and talk over the day's various cuts and bruises.

• Best of, Schmest of, fergettit! These Tikis are All Good!

On 2007-01-05 11:00, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
Can beginners come to the 1/20 chop chop? The Mr has just started carving (not too bad!) and I'd like to incurage him. Or is this gonna be something that moves along swiftly and for experts? Like an exhibit type event?

Absolutely! I believe at the last one, there were a couple people carving their first tiki. As Clysdalle said, the more the merrier. Space is not a problem, here's a pic of my backyard.

:D

Here's a list of people so far:
Buzzy
Zaya
Cammo
Clysdalle
Mieko
Babalu
tikihai
hiltiki
Tikidav
Hau 'oli Tiki
Mr. NoNaMe
Moki
OnaTiki
Tiki-Kate
tikimecula
Me

I live fairly close to the Oceanside train station, so any one coming via Amtrak or Coaster can be picked up easily.
I'm just off the I-5 and 78 junction, and will PM my address to all in a week or so.
This will not be a rain or shine thing, so we are depending on good (enough) weather here! :wink:

Otto, maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread about a chopchop at Tiki Oasis? This is starting to get confusing. :-?

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-06 16:45 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-07 21:00 ]

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-01-14 09:10 ]

I live fairly close to the Oceanside train station, so any one coming via Amtrak or Coaster can be picked up easily.

Does the TSA check for sharp objects on trains?

I am trying to be there.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Jan 6, 2007 1:38 PM

Now THAT'S a back yard! Can I just land my Cessna behind the trees? Anybody want a lift?

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Jan 6, 2007 2:25 PM

Holy smokes 4WD, you've got your own cattle farm! The TikiPonderosa?!

Yes, please count me in for the Chop-Chop. I'll see about bringing some fruit skewers again. They go so well with Mieko's Spam Misubi. MMMMMM................

Looks like I can make this one. If thats alright with the Host?

On 2007-01-10 20:06, tikimecula wrote:
Looks like I can make this one. If thats alright with the Host?

Hey 4WD, I think you should say yes. We may need him for a beer run

You're coming down in this, right?

Buzzy

ummm, WOW! :o That trunk will hold some beer fer sure!

Sure Andy, come on down!

I don't think the Big Orange car will make an apperance, It's having some tranny problems.

Alright, I've just PMed directions to everyone on the list. Thank God for copy/paste! Let me know if you didn't get the PM, I could've screwed up. Anyone else wanting to come, you're welcome to come, just let me know.

Hours will be 9AM-6PM. No dogs or kids, sorry. As stated earlier, I'm not providing any food or drink, (sorry, I'm poor) but I think a couple people will be bringing food to share, so I encourage more of that! I do have a nice gas grill if anything needs grilling. I have several coolers for your drinks. I have lots of well-aged logs if you need them, or bring your own. I think Moki/Ona are bringing their stands.

What am I forgetting?

C

A gas grill and a big yard, you already got everything, bud!

M
mieko posted on Sun, Jan 14, 2007 5:44 PM

Sounds great! I think that's all the info we really need. :) I'm gonna bring some spam musubi, and if people would like it, my parents can do up a batch of yakisoba noodles and bring that over. Speak up if you'd like noodles, or if people are bringing a bunch of stuff to grill, we can pass on the noodles.

M
Moki posted on Sun, Jan 14, 2007 6:22 PM

Noodles are yummy!! So are spam musubi.......mmmmm good!!

What should we bring?? Something equally as yummy!! Must figure that out. Hmmm...

[ Edited by: Moki 2007-01-14 18:25 ]

B

:) I like noodles. I like Spam.:)

H

I will bring something sweet,(myself)!!!just kidding :) :) :). seriously, I will bring dessert. And if I can carry more stuff on the train I will bring some humus and pita bread, along with my carving tools.

I'll bring ice, bottled water and a few cases of soda.

If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll even cook something.

Meiko - Thumbs up on the noodles and the Spam!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies