Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Chop Chop - new date 1/20 at 4WDTiki's in O'side

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies

Mieko - I'll bring an extra easy-up, I was going to ask you about that.

Cheeky Girl - I'll be doing mostly chainsaw & grinder work, but I'll bring a couple different carver's mallets so you try them out & see what weight works best for you.

Questions: What's the head count? What time can we start?

Meiko, I'd sure like to attend, if it's not too late to speak up!

I was hesitant to join in, because I mostly use power tools, and didn't know if it was cool to use them there. But now I see AA is bringing chainsaw and grinder, which are my tools of choice too. Can we get a Yea or Nay on these tools?

I'll come either way though, maybe I can learn some chisel technique from you guys and gals.

M
mieko posted on Sat, Nov 25, 2006 2:25 PM

Hey 4WD! I've actually seen some of your work, you live really close to my parents.
In general, power tools should be fine, I'd actually like to see how you guys carve with one. We'll probably need to put you at one end of the yard, and hopefully it won't be too loud for too long.

I'm getting the head count together, it looks like it'll be a little more than I was planning on, but I think we'll be ok. We can always spread out to the front yard if needed. :)

Timing wise, I think people can stop by anytime after 9am. I'll have some muffins and coffee. Cam is going to make some appetizers around noon, then we'll have some kahlua pork, yakisoba, and rice for lunch after that. And Cam is bringing dessert. :) We can keep carving till it gets dark around 4:30-5pm.

The bar will be open, my husband has offered to do some bartending.

Oh, and the jacuzzi will be available for anyone that needs a soak after a long day of carving. :)

I'll have water and some sodas. Feel free to bring sodas if you like something specific. People can also bring snacks or other food if they'd like.

I'll be sending out my address and phone number via PM.

M
mieko posted on Sat, Nov 25, 2006 3:29 PM

Ok, looking to get a headcount and log needed list. Here's what I've got so far, please let me know if I have anything wrong, and if I don't have your log needs listed. I'll be using this list to send out my address, so make sure I didn't miss you.

Cammo no log
moki&Ona need log
Tikidav need log
Mr. NoNaMe no log
Buzzy no log
Aaron no log
CheekyGirl need log
hiltiki
Tiki-Kate no log
Monkeyman need log
Babalu no log
4WDtiki
Clysdalle no log
HodadHank ?
Bealza-Elvis no log

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-11-25 15:46 ]

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-11-27 11:15 ]

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-11-27 13:34 ]

[ Edited by: mieko 2006-11-28 20:25 ]

I still have a couple logs here from the 'Oki 'Oki if you guys get into a pinch. Get ahold of me if you need a couple. Sounds like a lot of fun.

C

If it is not too late Bealza-Elvis would like to attend. Has log and stand. Can bring extra e-zup.

He has spent the weekend using 25% coupons at Rocklers.

Mahalos
Cyntiki & Bealza-Elvis

M

Glad you can make it Bealza-Elvis. It would be great to bring an extra pop up, I'm not sure we'll need it, but it'll be nice to have an extra instead of not enough. Thanks!!
Hope you got some neat new tools, I got myself a mallet with that coupon. :)

ok, got my plans settled and I'm in.....I have my own log and band-aids so I'm ready to toss some chips!! so add me to the list...

B

Thanks mucho Mieko...Fun! - Fun!...Have everything I should need including head shade.

I have a "Meet the Folkers" dinner planned for that evening with the "new to be" son in-law's folks, so I may have to split around 5:00 - 5:30, but I am really looking forward to a cool day of chop chop with you all.

Best,

Babalu

Found me a year old 6 footer. It is still HEAVY. I'll try to think up a face for it. Or maybe two.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Nov 28, 2006 8:44 PM

PM's with my address have been sent. I don't think I missed anyone, but let me know if you don't see a PM.
Babalu - no worries about leaving, I expect some people will show up later, and some will need to leave early, it's all really casual. :)

I'm really looking forward to it!

C

Don't know if anybody's noticed, but Mieko seems to really enjoy watching football, carving Tikis, power tools in general, sanding and throwing weekend Hawaiian parties.

Like, is she the ideal woman or am I missing something?

Just made another CD; Deano vs. Frankie in the Rat Pack Party Mix. Studio recordings, live stuff, and the infamous "Drinking Song" recorded in a Chicago nightclub. Nobody's gonna hear it with the chainsaws going, though...

On 2006-11-28 22:35, Cammo wrote:
Don't know if anybody's noticed, but Mieko seems to really enjoy watching football, carving Tikis, power tools in general, sanding and throwing weekend Hawaiian parties.

Like, is she the ideal woman or am I missing something?

Just made another CD; Deano vs. Frankie in the Rat Pack Party Mix. Studio recordings, live stuff, and the infamous "Drinking Song" recorded in a Chicago nightclub. Nobody's gonna hear it with the chainsaws going, though...

sweeeet mix....bring an extra disk or 3 just in case that one gets....um.....lost...or something. :wink:

unique. design. concepts.
http://www.dlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2006-11-29 06:58 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Nov 29, 2006 7:55 AM

Thanks, I'm bringing at least 3 of those, and since you hipsters like to swing with the swingers, there's a bit of Peggy Lee & Keely Smith belting it out in da middle.

Oh, and these may annoy people, they have a habit of doing that, but I'm also bringing the collections -

"It's Those Damn HIPPIES!"
and the followup,
"It's Those Damn HIPPIES Again!"

of which only Grog, Buzzy, and Bong have heard. Really sincere hippie songs from the folkie/pop 1965 era that you hoped you'd never hear again.

MG

Hi Mieko,
Didn't I come by your house 3 or 4 years ago when we were selling glass floats and other stuff. It could have been someone else but I know I delivered some stuff to someone in your area.
Anyway... I wouldn't mind popping in later in the afternoon to check out the scene.

Thanks!

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: mean gene 2006-12-01 19:15 ]

I will be bringing a few extra logs, 'just in case'.

I hope to be there by noon at the latest. Can't wait!

Anyone else think nametags would be a good idea?

MN

Not sure if I'll make it now.

I need to start training for a race. Saturday is day one. I hope to make it around 3pm just to see who did what.

Z
Zaya posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 7:02 PM

Here are the group pictures from today:

I'll post the rest later.

It was SO much fun! Thank you very much Mieko for hosting this great day!
Zaya

whoa shit , those guys all rule ! I just got on here to ask where the pictures were , and bingo . .. I'm loving it . Looks like a productive day for sure ! !

Looks like you all had a grand time....thanks for the picture of the group tikis....very kewl. :tiki:

I had a great time today. Thanks to Mieko and Phil for the house and hospitality. I was cool to meet the faces behind the all the screen names. I'm in for the next one!

PS I'm the guy in the green shirt, and my name is Bill. :wink:

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2006-12-02 19:13 ]

Orange County is going down!!!

Once the leader in Poly Pop Tiki...

...and, now the last!

Rock on S.D.!

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 8:02 PM

SDCC was a blast! Thanks everybody, nice to meet you and keep swinging those blurry mallets!

M
Moki posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 8:15 PM

What a beautiful day!! The weather was great and the company was even better. Mieko & Phil-Thanks for opening up your house and yard to us. Mieko's mom and dad and Cammo kept us all well fed for the day. Big mahalos to them too.

Here are the pictures I took of the festivities. Another great round of tikis were born today. You should all be proud.

Aaron's big block of almond wood.

What is it gonna be??

can you recognize it yet??

CheekyGirl working on her first tiki

Kate & Cammo

Babalu working on his first tiki too

CheekyGirl, Babalu & 'Ona

4WDTiki taking his turn with the power tools

Clydesdalle taking a few minutes to sand his tiki

Clydesdale & Aaron watching over 'Ona

4WDTiki & Clydesdale playing with fire

Although he wasn't invited, this nice grasshopper decided to join in the on the carving. He couldn't find a log to suit himself, so went to work on one of Meiko's beautiful hibiscus.

can't wait for the next one.
Aloha!!

What a great bunch of tikis! ...and their carvers!!

Seriously, Zaya's group photo shows all of the different and excellent styles that emerged from today's efforts. It tells a thousand words. Really great laid back and enjoyable carving day.

Thanks Mieko & Phil for all of your hard work to put this together! And of course to your parents the "kitchen slaves"!

We need to do this more often...

A-A

C

Sorry we missed it today. Looks like you had great fun and produced some awesome tikis.

Can't wait till the next one!

Cyntiki & Bealza-Elvis

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 7:01 AM

Here's some more pix - no order at all -

4WD Billy-

Aaron 'First in the Phone Book' , Moki & Friend

Babalu - incredible is this is his first Tiki!

House of Buzzy - most chips flung by natural means;

Cheeky Chop -

Clysdalle right on it-

'ONA TIKI EMERGES FROM THE DARKNESS!

Kate in the light -

Mieko hosting and chopping at the same time -

E's a beaut, Dave -

The Christmas Volcano, it smokes and drips lava -

And this overlooks the house, of course it breathes fire -

Thanks to everybody, and Clysdalle has the fastest comeback quips of any human I've ever met! He's the Morey Amsterdam of 2006!

Thanks to Mieko & the whole family, those cement tikis you can spot in the background are her mom's!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2006-12-03 07:02 ]

[ Edited by: Cammo 2006-12-03 07:03 ]

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 7:09 AM

What a great time!

Mieko and Phil, thank you so much for your hospitality. What a success! It was very cool being around a group of such talented folks.

Another huge thanks out to Ono for letting me use a couple of his chisels through out the day, and for showing me how to sharpen them...I have seen the light, and that light was reflected off of the end of a nice chisel!...

4WD...you the man! That was really cool of you to toss that dry 6 foot log in the back of my truck...I already have plans for it.

Buzzy, I really look forward to buzzing through some wood with you in the near future...man, can you ever fly through a log.

I can't wait for the next gathering.

Best to all,

Babalu

TL

MOKI Thanks for the fantastic photos,you all have so much talent. I wish i could have been there. Also I just got my hands on the latest copy of Tiki Magazine, WOW !! now the whole world can see your incredible yard and bar area. Hope to meet up with you and Ona again at the Bali Hai. Mark

C

great time guys...thanks to everyone....and of course out hosts for killer drinks and those wonderful spam whach-a-macallits mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

always a good time and looking forward to the next one!!!

Here are my photos from the event:

My favorite part of the day was right after lunch, I was carving and I looked up and saw 12 people all carving at the same time, totally locked on to the task, just as I was.

Buzzy

C

great pics....
Here is my Tiki from this weekends San Diego Chop chop... done and stained up....

Z
Zaya posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 7:12 PM

Here's all my pictures from this Saturday's San Diego Chop Chop. It was so much fun meeting everyone!

Cheeky Girl

Babalu

OnaTiki

Tiki Kate

Mieko

TikiDav

Cammo

Clysdalle

Buzzzzzzzzzy (you show mine I'll show yours! :) )

Aarons Akua

4WDTiki

Clysdalle's finished tiki (front)

Back

Buzzy's tiki

Thanks again!

Zaya

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Dec 3, 2006 8:05 PM

Great pictures! Thank you to all who are posting them!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 12:02 PM

Thanks so much to everyone that came, it was a really great day! I was so excited seeing so many great tikis in my backyard, I miss them already. :)

Extra special thanks to:
Buzzy for the logs
Cammo for all the awesome food
Moki & Ona for stands and chili and the rum
Tikidav for the fruit and that thing... what was it again? :)
Aaron for the mac salad - hey where was that from? Oh, and you left some AAC here... :)
TikiKate for the rum (we were out of that rum, btw)
Zaya for getting me hooked on woodburning and taking pictures
CheekyGirl for playing the ukelele
4WDtiki for the extra log
Clysdalle for showing me how fast a tiki can be done - and come out amazing as well
Babalu for the great ideas - I can't wait to try something like that braid on the back of your tiki
Mean Gene for the late night drop off of some ginger
My mom and dad for all their help with food and everything
My husband Phill for the great drinks

Who's hosting next? Buzzy?

All my pictures are here
http://picasaweb.google.com/miekos/SanDiegoChopChopDec2nd

My Favorites: Look at all those wood chips! They were all cleaned up, and my yard is cleaner than before.

Oh! That's the mess that a chainsaw makes.

Here's the back of Babalu's awesome first tiki

*On 2006-12-04 12:02, mieko wrote:*Who's hosting next? Buzzy?

I don't know what the criteria are for having a host site, but I volunteer!
My yard is not as pretty as Mieko's, but it's bigger! We have a 1000 sq.ft. covered patio, and a 1 acre yard/field of dead grass.:lol:
I would be up for it AFTER the holidays.:wink:

M
mieko posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 3:39 PM

On 2006-12-04 14:39, 4WDtiki wrote:
My yard is not as pretty as Mieko's, but it's bigger! We have a 1000 sq.ft. covered patio, and a 1 acre yard/field of dead grass.:lol:

Sounds great! Steps for hosting a SDCC:
Pick a date and time
Let us know what you can supply, and what you'd like people to bring
stress about not enough people showing, followed shortly by stressing about too many people coming
Arrange all the things you've promised to supply
Send out address
Figure out how to keep all those cool tikis people carved at your house :) (If you figure that one out, lemme know)

Looking forward to it! (Since my parents live close to you, I can probably wrangle them into cooking up more yakisoba, and I can make spam musubi.)

B
Bowana posted on Mon, Dec 4, 2006 3:46 PM

Mieko: If Aaron doesn't want the AAC, I'd like to have it. I can swing by and pick it up. Let me know.

4WD: I'm there!!

C

On 2006-12-04 14:39, 4WDtiki wrote:

*On 2006-12-04 12:02, mieko wrote:*Who's hosting next? Buzzy?

wooohooooooo......chainsaw f'in mania!!!! I'm in!!!!

M

HEY all .... sorry I didnt make it down for your fun and festivities... but as I told Moki on the phone... I decided it was a better idea for me to stay in my workshop and knock out a couple projects that I needed to tackle.

One is the frame for MY Bosko/Hanalei print.

The other is the new prototype for my next album cover style.... more coming...

I missed hanging out with all of you

I had a great time and learned so much. Many thanks to our hosts and everyone who shared their knowledge and tools! :)

MG

On 2006-12-04 21:35, Monkeyman wrote:
One is the frame for MY Bosko/Hanalei print.

NICE!

Hey Monkey Man, your website looks great! I just put a link to you on Falling Cocos.

How is Sunday the 17th, for the next SD chop chop party at Buzzy's house? Three are confirmed so far. Anyone else up for it?
I think Charger game starts at 515. I think that I can move two TV's outside within the carving area for the day's NFL action, or, you can carve on my living room floor in front of the tv like I do.
The Buzzy amtrak shuttle can pick up people at the Old Town station, if some of our LA friends want to come. I think a train arrives there at 9am, and one leaves at about 4pm. The sun goes down at about 430 these days, but it is light until 5.
So, check your calendars folks and let me know. When I get 5 more people that will definitely attend on that Sunday, I'll start a new event thread so we can discuss what we need to acquire. Otherwise, on Sunday the 17th, I'll be at home, carving away with a couple of friends...

Power tools, chainsaws, all allowed.

Ok folks, chime in now....

Buzzy

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-12-06 16:10 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-12-06 16:17 ]

Hey, Buzzy great idea! I would definitely do it, but my holiday weekends are booked solid. We need to keep this local carving clan thing going, though we might need to change the name to "SoCal Chop-Chop" someday! :wink:

A-A

M
mieko posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 11:25 AM

I'm a maybe for the 17th. I've got to be home for the Charger game (we host a regular group), and work was asking for volunteers to help with a special project, but I could probably skip that for a few hours of carving. Even if I do work, I think I can drop some spam musubi off if you need it. :)

A

I'm not much of a carver (I'm more likely to cut myself than wood), but I'd like to check out you guys at work if that's OK. I'd even bring my own beer. And plus I live in Bay Park also.

[ Edited by: arriano 2006-12-07 13:41 ]

H

Yes.

Hiltiki, Arriano: Your reservations are confirmed. Glad you guys will make it. I'll PM you later with the details.

Buzzy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 165 replies