Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

old booze, good booze?

Pages: 1 6 replies

I partially raided Nana and Papa's booze cabinet the other day. I only took the stuff that might kill the elderly (Pop's meds wont mix well either). I don't think I should use any of it in my bar.

There are NO UPCs.

Never seen this style.

And I've never seen Pineapple liqueur so dark before.:)

I would wager the Pineapple stuff is WAY PAST expiration ...some booze with natural ingredients spoils ---BELIEVE IT OR NOT--I had some chocolate mint stuff my grandparents had..nice bottle ..took ONE SIP & KNEW it was DEADLY

F

I'm pretty sure that, the pineapple stuff shouldn't look like Kahlua. At least you didn't do what a college roommate of mine did and drink a big bottle of Bailey's that his grandparents had probably had from 1943. Cream products do get chunky. Excuse me while I go throw up from remembering the thought of seeing that.

I had a similar experiance just a few weeks ago. I got a strange hand carved bar from 1940s Hong Kong, and in it was hooch from the 50s-70s

Many of those things oxidize, and thier characther is lost. Though it's not pathenogenic, I tosses all but one or two things...it made me sort of sad.

I was sort of surprized the single item that sat for so long and seemed fine was Sambuca.

Looking at the collection of stuff I had made me sort of sad to see all these strange drinks that must have been in vogue for a while, then vanished forever.

A good friend of mine does Estate Sales in the mid-west, and since an open bottle can't be sold, he's quick to snatch them up. (Distilled Spirits only)

The bottles are the coolest thing. I busted off a stopper in a very old Drambuie bottle, and tossed it...later I was kicking mysef for being so stupid. It had a little tartan fabric ribbon around it, and was quite festive.

Smart thinking to save yours.

I had a similar experiance just a few weeks ago. I got a strange hand carved bar from 1940s Hong Kong, and in it was hooch from the 50s-70s

Many of those things oxidize, and thier characther is lost. Though it's not pathenogenic, I tosses all but one or two things...it made me sort of sad.

I was sort of surprized the single item that sat for so long and seemed fine was Sambuca.

Looking at the collection of stuff I had made me sort of sad to see all these strange drinks that must have been in vogue for a while, then vanished forever.

A good friend of mine does Estate Sales in the mid-west, and since an open bottle can't be sold, he's quick to snatch them up. (Distilled Spirits only)

The bottles are the coolest thing. I busted off a stopper in a very old Drambuie bottle, and tossed it...later I was kicking mysef for being so stupid. It had a little tartan fabric ribbon around it, and was quite festive.

Smart thinking to save yours.

B

We've had very little luck with antique liquor. Most often it's been pretty obvious that it was not fit for human consumption. Other times, I persisted in trying it anyhow. No nightmare results, but no real tasty surprises either.

At the least, you may want to clean out the bottles and fill them with fresh hooch. Or even colored water. They might make for a nice display behind the bar as the shapes and labels are pretty cool.

-Duke

M

The kirsch should be fine. Dunno about the other stuff.

Pages: 1 6 replies