Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

sams seafood reopening!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

I actually have heard that the new owner is also an owner of Tsunami's. I think that verifies it.... and is kinda scary now. We'll see what happens...

T

Well, what we do know is that Bamboo Ben is doing the decor so whatever happens the decor will at least be good.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

Didn't they originally say they were opening in January....then February....then March?

I know Ben's done the work, we've seen the mugs....I've just never seen a place have so much trouble picking a date and opening! :-?

The other items mentioned above also make it very troubling....if I wanted to go to a thumping loud, quasi-Tiki, neon meat market of a so called "Tiki Bar" there's one near me in Hayward, CA that shall remain nameless! :evil:

For the sake of the name, the history and all things Tiki I sure hope it doesn't become "SAM'S GONE WILD" Spring Break Capitol of California! :cry:

I know Ben's done the work, we've seen the mugs..

"Some Work" and it was a while ago..........

and, it's out of my hands.........

and, stop asking me "when is it opening?"

I haven't the slightest idea.

I'm sure you'll all get answers if you call them.

Or, not?

wow..."Sam's Gone Wild" That's a real scary thought!

News flash!: Did you all read that "Girls Gone Wild" is going to soon open up their own restaurant? ... what the heck has this world come to. seriously.

Patience is a Virtue :) Does anyone remember how run-down Sam's was?? It takes time to recreate things/update what needs to be done.

H

I'm having trouble finding my enthusiasm for this reopening. I know it's really exciting for those who have an emotional attachment to Sam's -- it had a great history, and held a lot of importance for locals. By the time I got to see it, though, a lot of the charm had left. It was never one of my favorite restaurants, but it wasn't hard to see why locals who grew up with it loved it so much. And it did have some fantastic features.

I so want to support its return, and I suppose in many ways, I do. But, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

The pluses:

• It's coming back, and maybe that's better than no Sam's at all.
  • They hired Bamboo Ben to do some work, which is a good sign.
  • The food at Sam's was inedible, the drinks unpotable -- the new restaurant can only be an improvement.
  • The attention being paid to things like issuing a reproduction of the original mug is pretty cool.

The minuses:

• The people who bought the property did so to build condos. As far as I'm aware, that plan has not changed. Because it might be a couple years before the owners will be able to start the development of the new condos (thanks to permits & the like), they have decided to at least let the property earn a little money by reopening the restaurant for a while. If the restaurant does well, they may decide to change their plans -- but consider for a moment how much money a condo development would make for the property owners. The restaurant would have to do really well.
  • The little I've heard is that the budget for this reopen is modest (which makes sense, considering the very good chance that it will only be there for a few years). They have hired Ben to do, as he said, "some" stuff. But this is not an extensive remodel, and much of the decor was removed when Sam's closed. Do not go in expecting it to be the same old Sam's.

Take that all with a grain of salt -- some of my info comes from rumbles & rumors.

I used to munch the breadsticks and down the LapuLapu's, while sitting under a thatch hut. Will I still be able to do that RevBen? Huh? Can you at least tell me that? If so, I'll be fine.

On 2007-04-05 13:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
My first question is, naturally, does he/she have my book? Not that that is a guarantee, but it would put me at ease a little...

Alan's there during the day usually.... Why don't you drop by with a copy? Maybe autograph it for him????

On 2007-04-29 15:19, Humuhumu wrote:
I'm having trouble finding my enthusiasm for this reopening..........Do not go in expecting it to be the same old Sam's.
Take that all with a grain of salt -- some of my info comes from rumbles & rumors.

I'm just happy it's re-opening (and right down the street from my shack!!!) Let's all pray to the tiki gods for a good bartender and we'll have some fun!!! I look forward to hosting Hanford, you and the rest of the Northern CA crowd as you've been so gracious to WooHoo and I on or recent treks to your island.

I poked my head in there the other day. Got a tour, all the peeps were really nice there and all. Not going to be the same for sure, but let's see what happens. Is it going to be there for long, don't know? I am carving up some artifacts for them. Picked up this job but had to save Hukilau for 2008.

[ Edited by: Tiki Diablo 2007-06-13 20:30 ]

"Clams Gone Wild" I'm there.

UB

The place looks real close to opening. Most all of the inside looks finished and there were alot of folks running about.

The New Sign....

Good Sign...Empty Boxes from The Bar

Sam's is open for sure. They are closed Monday's until Summer. New drink menu and food menu. I haven't had dinner yet but the prices on the Pupu's are more reasonable than they have been before. There is a Wine Wednesday promo that has all wines at 50% off! Too bad that can't be the MaiTai's. The bartender tells me new owners took it over in January of '08 from the the (new) owners that re-opened it last summer. It seems the old owners had a bit of a cash flow problem. These guys seem to be trying. They want to change the name because they don't think Sam's has a very good reputation any more. They are considering the name Kona, my only concern is that they don't move away from their great Tiki decor.

K

Sam's bar rubbish: tequila - vodka - tequila - gin - tequila - martini glasses - tequila - bourbon - tequila - wine glasses - tequila - Cruzan rum - tequila. So, what drinks are most popular at Sam's? Make a good Navy Grog do they?

This just in.......
Hi Chris,

Thought you might like to know, there will be a meeting at Sam's Wednesday the 12th at 6pm from a consulting firm hired by the landlord to consider demolishing Sam's, rebuilding it with generic retail spaces with condo's above them and underground parking. This is not involving the city yet but we feel the landlord is obviously testing the waters. We found out by receiving a letter in today's mail addressed to "resident". Any support you could bring in opposition to this horrible possibility would be greatly appreciated. First MaiTai's on me!

Best regards,

Chuck Purrington
Managing Partner
Sam's Huntington Beach

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies