Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

yet another computer question (please read anyway) ;)

Pages: 1 11 replies

I recently upgraded my Windows to the newest version and I like it a lot. The only thing is, my screen is now slightly out of focus. I'm a screen printer, so I would say the the process colors are slightly out of registration (if you know what that means), but I don't know if the same thing is applicable. It only seems to be out of focus when I'm viewing web pages, everything else seems fine.

Any ideas how I can fix this? I've tried to figure it out, but I really don't know much about it.

Mahalo!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 11, 2006 5:26 PM

maybe you shouldnt give the computer rum eh? :)

I'm guessing the most likely cause is the refresh rate setting for the monitor. If you right-click on your desktop, select properties, then go to the settings tab. You will probably have an advanced button on there, click it. Inside the advanced properties, look for a screen refresh rate setting. Try adjusting that value to see if the image looks any better to you.

-adrian

On 2006-12-11 17:54, MobileTikiBar wrote:
I'm guessing the most likely cause is the refresh rate setting for the monitor. If you right-click on your desktop, select properties, then go to the settings tab. You will probably have an advanced button on there, click it. Inside the advanced properties, look for a screen refresh rate setting. Try adjusting that value to see if the image looks any better to you.

-adrian

Thanks. It turns out there are 2 possibilities: 60 or 75. I tried both but it didn't seem to make any difference. Anything else in the advanced tab that might help?

H

Have you tried checking for an updated driver for your video card?

P

Gotta say I've never heard that one before: Sharp on general computer items and screen, but blurry or bad register when browsing the internet. Have you tried another internet browser like Firefox or anything? Is it still the same problem when you do so?

I know on the new Internet Explorer 7, there's a thing called "Clear Text" that sort of makes text items seem blurry to some. But that's easily switch off-able, and usually doesn't effect graphics too. That's the only thing I can think of that would make a difference between general computer screens and the browser screen.

Good Luck!

S

Maybe this sounds weird, but, are you stealing your internet via a neighbor's unsecured wi-fi?

Text and images blurry?

There are a few settings in IE Tools->Internet Options->Advanced Options that may effect it, but not much.

On 2006-12-13 13:25, Swanky wrote:
Maybe this sounds weird, but, are you stealing your internet via a neighbor's unsecured wi-fi?

Text and images blurry?

There are a few settings in IE Tools->Internet Options->Advanced Options that may effect it, but not much.

No internet from the neighbors! :lol: I guess now that I look closely, it seems only the text is blurry and even the text isn't real bad, it just makes me feel like my glasses need updating.

P

I guess now that I look closely, it seems only the text is blurry and even the text isn't real bad, it just makes me feel like my glasses need updating.

Then go to Internet Explorer, Click on "Tools", then select and click on "Internet Options", then select the "Advanced" tab, and then scroll down about half way to the Multimedia section and uncheck the box that says, "Always Use Clear Type For HTML." Then hit the "Apply" button and close. Shut down and restart your Internet Explorer. Now see if the text looks sharper to you.

Many people (including myself) think Clear Type makes text look a little fuzzy. Other find it easier to read. It's definately "softer" looking text. Turn it off per the instructions above, and see if it then looks "the old way" and sharper to you.

On 2006-12-13 14:36, PremEx wrote:

I guess now that I look closely, it seems only the text is blurry and even the text isn't real bad, it just makes me feel like my glasses need updating.

Then go to Internet Explorer, Click on "Tools", then select and click on "Internet Options", then select the "Advanced" tab, and then scroll down about half way to the Multimedia section and uncheck the box that says, "Always Use Clear Type For HTML." Then hit the "Apply" button and close. Shut down and restart your Internet Explorer. Now see if the text looks sharper to you.

Many people (including myself) think Clear Type makes text look a little fuzzy. Other find it easier to read. It's definately "softer" looking text. Turn it off per the instructions above, and see if it then looks "the old way" and sharper to you.

Hey PrimEx, that did it! The effect is very subtle, but it was giving me a headache.
Thanks a bunch. I love TC!

This was a helpful thread...in case that ever happens to me. I haven't upgraded to Vista, but hear it is indeed very nice. I will wait till it has been out a while and worked through all the little bugs. I did upgrade to IE 7.0 and wish I could do so at work. I use Firefox at home so really like the tabbed browsing. I figure Firefox will eventually offer the options for multiple tabs on the home page and the thumbnail view...so sticking with the fox for now. Glad you got a clear view....bluriness is not fun!!!

P

Hey PrimEx, that did it! The effect is very subtle, but it was giving me a headache.
Thanks a bunch. I love TC!

You're very welcome. :)

Pages: 1 11 replies