Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Zealand Coins

Pages: 1 5 replies

Thought these were cool. I beleive these are fairly new. The New Zealand coins went through a recent redesign.

T

I want one and three, two no thanks.

When I went to New Zealand last year, I held onto all of the 10 and 20 cent coins with tikis on them that I got as change. Come to think of it, most of them did look pretty new.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 4:40 PM

Those are all gone now. As of earlier this year, the one on the left (10c) is smaller and copper coloured now and the one on the far right (20c Tiki) is still silver but has shrunk down almost to the size of the one on the left (old 10c piece). The large 20C Tiki has skyrocketed in value now, as they only made it for a couple of years to replace the old kiwi 20c (middle). I'm kicking myself for not hoarding them as it is/was a beautiful coin, and maybe the nicest tiki coin around. The new version is too small to apprciate the detail on the carving.

The tiki in question is called Pukaki...

In 1836 - three generations after Pukaki's passing - Ngati Whakaue strengthened Ohinemutu in preparation for an impending attack. At that time, the Pukaki carving, as depicted on the 20 cent coin, was created as part of a gateway to guard the southern entrance.

Pukaki was expertly crafted by Te Taupua of Ngati Whakaue from one large piece of totara timber, originating from the Ngongotaha Stream. The gateway used to stand over 5 metres tall. The carving commemorates Ngati Whakaue's conquest of Pukeroa-Oruawhata. Pukaki is depicted holding his two warrior sons Wharengaro and Rangitakuku, while between his legs can still be seen the remnants of his wife Ngapuia.

In the 1850s, Pukaki was brought down and his lower portion removed, thus transforming him from a gateway to a statue (tiki). He then stood upon the principal marae within Ohinemutu beside the Tama te Kapua meeting house.

More here...

I keep wanting to send these over with my tiki packages, but coins/currency are forbidden by NZ Post and I worry about my parcels getting screwed over to see what's in them...

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 14, 2006 4:49 PM

Addendum: The pre-decimal coins were pretty sweet too...

Half-Crown with coat of arms and koruru masks

Shilling with warrior and taiaha

Half penny with hei-tiki (my favourite)

Three pence with crossed wahaika

Oh those last ones there are very nice. Hmmmmm, I need to dig through my box of goodies from my NZ trip in 2005....I have plenty of coins and paper money. None as nice as those though...I'm sure.

Pages: 1 5 replies