Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Digital Painting and new Originals by Doug Horne, Pg. 11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies

My old thread is a mess, looks like Grog got in there, pictures are missing, chicken bones on the floor, holes in the walls.
Decided to start a new thread of stuff.

Teamed up with Benzart and Gecko for this resin pendant.

Concept drawing

Benz carving

Gecko resin pendant

"Rum Powered"

Detail

Tiki Farm mug

Future mug "Herman"

0% of the Profit

Detail

Atomic Rum Sketch

Final painting

Monkey on Velvet

Detail

I survived the head-hungry Jivaro tribe!
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2011-08-23 16:29 ]

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2011-08-23 16:29 ]

love the brown mug..i just wish tiki farm was more careful about keeping the detail sharper on their mugs...it looks like the finish on a tiki leilani mug!! nice though...i ordered a velvet monkey print..where the hell is it?? just kidding...i haven't checked my mailbox yet ..i'm sure it will be there shortly..have a good holiday!!

Right on Doug!
Love seeing some of the sketches and blown up details of your work! Man! the hours you put into these must be monumental! Mele Kalikimaka!

Very cool Doug,

How about some prints of Atomic Rum on your site? I would like one for my bar. Happy holidays.

Ojaitimo

Thanks Tipsy, hopefully you should have the print today. If not we can blaim the drunk mailman.

Thanks Lost Little Tiki, hey you did'nt stop by and say hi at the Catalina Fest, what gives man. No worries
I'm sure we will meet face to face in 2007 I look forward to it.

Thanks Ojaitmo, Atomic Rum is a sold out edition, gone forever.

M

Swamp,

I adore these little 'Heathens' the facial expressions never cease to crack me up. Please Keep em coming.

The one with the 3 monkeys at the bar is my current screensaver at work. People often give it props!

Mahalo

McTiki

Aloha Doug

I'm hoping there's some Swamp underneath the xmas tree this year. Guests never fail to go right to

the tikifest print among all the other stuff on the walls. I ola a mau loa!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 21, 2006 3:26 PM

So many great pieces of art man :) sweet

T

it looks like BenZart captured the side view of the necklace perfectly. Now, the front and the side veiw are different, thats why BenZ got so many teeth.

You're killing me.

H

Doug, you are the best. :) I love my "Pick up Artist" print.

On 2006-12-21 21:01, MakeDaMug wrote:

On 2006-12-21 11:15, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
love the brown mug..i just wish tiki farm was more careful about keeping the detail sharper on their mugs...it looks like the finish on a tiki leilani mug!! nice though...i ordered a velvet monkey print..where the hell is it?? just kidding...i haven't checked my mailbox yet ..i'm sure it will be there shortly..have a good holiday!!

Hey Doug... thank you very much for the pendant! I dig it the most! Hey Tipsy McStagger, thanks for the tip! You really "know your stuff" yep, we produce to the Leilani standard...:(

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2006-12-21 23:13 ]

Doug, I love seein' the sketches! Very nice work. I loved your Tiki Invasion Print! You are so darned good... okay I was going to bed, but now I'm going back in the studio and do a bit more...
aloha!

Did I mention you're killing me?!?

Bring on Herman! Great new mug design, Doug! Can't wait to get my hands on him.

Okay, last count on Doug Horne stuff: 5 framed prints, Christmas cards, the 3 "G" mugs (Grog/Goon/Gulp), the 2 Tunes mugs (Tiki and Luau), and a Benzart/Gecko/Horne pendant (on the way). The Luau Tunes mug is my current "Favorite Tiki Mug of the Month", but Goon came with me to Maui on our 2 week vacation.

Keep those creative juices flowing, Doug. You da Kane!!!

• Myke

On 2006-12-21 21:54, MakeDaMug wrote:

Hey Doug... thank you very much for the pendant! I dig it the most! Hey Tipsy McStagger, thanks for the tip! You really "know your stuff" yep, we produce to the Leilani standard...:(

awwwwww!! i sense sarcasm.....damn, and right around the holiday season too!! look, it was only an opinion....maybe not an expert opinion but an opinion none-the-less and that's all. I have always liked alot of the tiki farm concepts and designs but was always dissappointed by most of their finishes....i personally (and this may sting a bit) have always prefered the munktiki finihes that they use on their mugs..the designs are sharp and the flat finish really makes the details pop like on older vintage mugs. i know others have expressed the same feelings in the past but would never admit it here...again, just my opinion, however unknowledgable, not meant to slam or hurt, just expressing my view....that's what the forums are all about....talkin and sharing views on the stuff we love...and it doesn't mean i don't/won't buy tiki farm products in the future...of course i will....i'm just more selective and picky.... a good holiday!!

On 2006-12-22 08:50, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

On 2006-12-21 21:54, MakeDaMug wrote:

awwwwww!! i sense sarcasm.....damn, and right around the holiday season too!! look, it was only an opinion....maybe not an expert opinion but an opinion none-the-less and that's all. I have always liked alot of the tiki farm concepts and designs but was always dissappointed by most of their finishes....i personally (and this may sting a bit) have always prefered the munktiki finihes that they use on their mugs..the designs are sharp and the flat finish really makes the details pop like on older vintage mugs. i know others have expressed the same feelings in the past but would never admit it here...again, just my opinion, however unknowledgable, not meant to slam or hurt, just expressing my view....that's what the forums are all about....talkin and sharing views on the stuff we love...and it doesn't mean i don't/won't buy tiki farm products in the future...of course i will....i'm just more selective and picky.... a good holiday!!

Thanks Dave. We do a dipped (traditional/older mugs) technique vs. a spray (Munktiki - which I also collect:) with reactive (pool in the deep recesses/pop on the high points) as that's our style. At around $10/mug for our mugs, we're about value (i.e. your tipsy friends dropping their mugs after a couple of whopper Mai Tai's) and variety (over 1000 to-date). However being a collector/critic, where in the world does the Leilani correlation come in? I know of a LOT of other older mugs that have more in tune with ours than that mug. Have a smokin' Holiday!
Holden

F
foamy posted on Sat, Dec 23, 2006 7:05 AM

I like the Ultimate Luau bunches. I'm pretty sure it's going to be the "house" mug. Great shape, great design, lot'sa room on the back for a logo. All around one of the prettyist (IMO) mugs to come out in a while. Nice work all the way around.

Good to see your sketches Doug, tight work. Real nice post with great artwork. You've been busy, keep it up. I always look forward to seeing your stuff.

On 2006-12-22 00:10, Tiki Shark Art wrote:
Doug, I love seein' the sketches!

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Brad, thanks, I've had the urge to get back into doing some more original pieces as of late. I still love the computer as a painting tool but it is nice to get my hands dirty again. I've enjoyed your "works in progress" thread.

Hiltiki, it was great meeting you kids in Ventura. Glad your injoying your Pick-up artist print.

wow...i just got the velvet print, doug....this thing is one of your best peices yet!! the velvet paper really make s the colors pop...i reccommend this print to everyone here!! you won't be dissappoint.

On 2006-12-23 11:27, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
wow...i just got the velvet print, doug....this thing is one of your best peices yet!! the velvet paper really make s the colors pop...i reccommend this print to everyone here!! you won't be dissappoint.

Thanks Tipsy, glad you like it. I really like printing on that paper, kind of expensive but worth it.

O

So whats the story behind Atomic Rum? I heard a rumor thats its certain people?

Doug,

I wanted to say thank you for the great picture you did for me of our Airstream. My wife is JoAnne (Mrs. Lucy Diamond Tiki). When I first saw it I thought it was cool that you had done an Airstream/Tiki themed print and then I was floored when I realized that was my trailer, my dog and my tiki I was looking at in the picture.

Everyone was in on it including TedTiki and Savage Patty and they totally surprised me for Christmas. We love your work and have several other pictures. Thanks again.

Brian
Mr. Lucy Diamond Tiki

On 2006-12-24 15:10, Ojaitimo wrote:
So whats the story behind Atomic Rum? I heard a rumor thats its certain people?

Different stages of intoxication when enjoying a few Mai Tais also a take on the see no evil monkeys and lastly
the guys at Ocianic Arts, Bob, Leroy and Dano. I did a revised version for them with name signs in front of each monkey.
Oh, and I like things that explode ... it blow'd up real good.

T

Lucy Diamond, where is this Streamline you talk about. Is it a print of Swampfires or an unseen work?

I know that I brought up the whole tikiFArm / Munktiki glaze thing before.
""pool in the deep recesses/pop on the high points) as that's our style."" The whole spray verses dip, I though it was more about the shiny v. semi gloss finish, but I know that its your style and some people like it more this way. I think Tiki-Kate said that she is into Tikifarm more because of it. And I can see why you use the glazes you do. Your mugs are more know for their lower relief, more line work.

"At around $10/mug for our mugs, we're about value (i.e. your tipsy friends
dropping their mugs after a couple of whopper Mai Tai's" I do like how you are keeping the prices down. Anyone that owns a tikifarm mug thanks you.

"Where in the world does the Leilani correlation come in?" Is the Leilani, really that bad in the first place. I guess I don't see where the Leilani is a cheaper mug. I really don't see how the mugs in the past are poorer in quality, expect for the times their is repeat in tiki bars with the same mug w/ stamp and lack of colors and amount of run.

Sorry Swamp, back to you and can't wait to show you something.

Thanks Brian, glad you like it. Below is the piece Lucy Diamond is talking about.

teaKEY, can't wait to show me something? Should I be afraid?

P

Lots of really nice work there Doug, it amazes me how productive some of you guys are in terms of designing for different mediums. Your moai design is a sure-fire winner - there aren't enough full figure moai mugs out there. Can't wait to see the sculpt!

On 2006-12-29 11:53, Paipo wrote:
Your moai design is a sure-fire winner - there aren't enough full figure moai mugs out there. Can't wait to see the sculpt!

Thanks Paipo, the Herman mug is a big guy, over 8 inches tall. He also has a carved handle.
I've always liked the larger mugs, less re-fills. Should be out soon ... Holden?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 31, 2006 4:27 PM

Airstream pic is very cool :)

On 2006-12-30 10:17, Swamp Fire wrote:
the Herman mug is a big guy, over 8 inches tall. He also has a carved handle.
I've always liked the larger mugs, less re-fills. Should be out soon ... Holden?

herman is gonna be really cool. i dig big mugs, that's why your grog mug is one of my favorites to use. great work on the airstream as always.

Bigger can be better! I love the Martin Denny mug & the new Ken Ruzic, Squid mugs are Huge. I look forward to the all the new releases some Biggies in the mix.

L

Swampfire, lovin the airstream print!!!!!! Keep up the excellent work!

Happy New Year Doug, if we would like a pendant who do we contact? Your monkeys are the best ever!

Hey Doug- That Airstream print is really something else.... I've always liked the character that those have. Great subject matter, and of course, top notch quality as always.

T

On 2006-12-21 17:49, hiltiki wrote:
Doug, you are the best. :) I love my "Pick up Artist" print.

I love that print as well. That was my 1st print from Doug.

T

On 2006-12-27 18:31, Lucy Diamond wrote:
Doug,

I wanted to say thank you for the great picture you did for me of our Airstream. My wife is JoAnne (Mrs. Lucy Diamond Tiki). When I first saw it I thought it was cool that you had done an Airstream/Tiki themed print and then I was floored when I realized that was my trailer, my dog and my tiki I was looking at in the picture.

Everyone was in on it including TedTiki and Savage Patty and they totally surprised me for Christmas. We love your work and have several other pictures. Thanks again.

Brian
Mr. Lucy Diamond Tiki

You should have seen the look on his face when he realized what it was. JoAnne and Doug went above and beyond to make him a happy xmas camper.
It looks awesome matted and framed.
Great job Doug.

SF

New drawing

Mixologist

G
GROG posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 9:22 AM

So what are trying to say with this art---that all bartenders are just a bunch of monkeys?!!! Oh, that'll certainly go over BIG with the bartenders!

P.S. :P

Don't pay GROG any mind,ever since he began working on the Simpsons Movie, he hasn't been the same........That mixologist is Hilarious Doug! It reminds me of those old tonal Flemish drawings with the hi-lights pencilled in! i like the "Don Martin" pinkies sticking out! How big is that drawing? Seeing as you're a Giant, I imagine it's about 8.5 by 11 feet! :lol:

M
Moki posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 12:59 PM

Nice shirt!!

Can't wait to see the color version.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 1:07 PM

Looks like a new mug, The monkey that is. actually a bowl.

F

Doug, gimme a break I'd like to keep a little self esteem about my artistic skills. But then you and TikiShark go and ruin it by posting your stuff. I'm off to go cry in a bottle of rum, that is unless you want to give me lessons?

Great idea, teaKEY!! If Steve Crane could make one of a parrot head, Doug can certainly make one with a monkey head! Excellent! I would buy one. But I would buy just about anything tiki Doug draws up. He's a master......

• Myke
C

I have never seen a better executed pair of monkey lips in my life. DH you are a master monkey draftsman.

Chongolio

P.S Hey I talked with non tiki friend of mine who met you at one of your shows. Small world eh!

On 2007-03-07 09:03, Swamp Fire wrote:
New drawing

Mixologist

Reminds me of Crazy Al!!!

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SF

On 2007-03-07 09:22, GROG wrote:
So what are trying to say with this art---that all bartenders are just a bunch of monkeys?!!! Oh, that'll certainly go over BIG with the bartenders!

P.S. :P

Won't be the first time I've pissed off a bartender, ha. Monkey brain garnish anyone?

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Awesome Swamp! (as usual!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies