Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Digital Painting and new Originals by Doug Horne, Pg. 11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies

Swampy, I dig the absolute consistent perfection of your work! Awesome!

B

Swampy, Excellent piece, you Know the Monkeys are my favorite! Keep'em rolling in.

C

Great!! all of them!

M
Moki posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 12:20 PM

Hey!!! Where are the pictures of the new ones that you had at the farm??

Bring on the monkeys!!!

swamp fire that is awesome you are very talented keep up the good work

L
Limey posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 4:21 PM

Swampfire, great stuff fella. great detail and great sense of fun. bang on.

You're the most talented giant i know! Great meetin ya at the Farm!

T

Swamp you got a ton of people loving it. One day, I hope to have the above post said about me.

TS

Doug, your work is fantastic man, but I think YOU are going to have a problem... See, there are issues in your art that need addressing for the sake of the "Illegal pay wages" and or commissions paid out to "Monkey" by you. Let's review this in Illustrated form so we can see the "Evolution of De-Evolution" of "Monkey"....

Nice wingtips there Doug! How clever of you NOT to paint your face in this art piece, as not to be incriminated!

Oh, He's contemplating something...Maybe a banana or two raise?

"Alcohol..The Cause and Solution to all of life's problems..."
"Whatever the question is, Alcohol is the answer!"
That is bad monkey mentality...very bad mojo indeed!

I seen it coming a mile a way!

Ok,Ok... my fun and games are over for the night! But I'm watching you Douggy...Keep "monkey" happy, so he doesn't wind up like this!(a 401B plan wouldn't hurt him either)
Keep rockin' the art brotha! 5 pieces and counting!

I had to edit due to illiteracy...See what happens when you hang around chimps!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2007-04-26 09:20 ]

Just read the article in Tiki Magazine! Swampfire AND Fender - can't really get any better than that! Congrats!

These monkeys are great, Doug! The technique and quality is the best as always, but I love the attitude he has - booze, cigarettes, cigars and all....

Heya Doug the Crack Monkey Rocks ,All the Best Jymmy

SF

On 2007-04-26 01:04, Tom Slick wrote:
Doug, your work is fantastic man, but I think YOU are going to have a problem... See, there are issues in your art that need addressing for the sake of the "Illegal pay wages" and or commissions paid out to "Monkey" by you. Let's review this in Illustrated form so we can see the "Evolution of De-Evolution" of "Monkey"....

Hilarious Tom, thanks for the comps. and analysis. Now that you mention it my monkeys all look depressed. Not sure what that's all about. Maybe it's time to go visit a shrink and get in touch with my inner monkey. I have to get these monkey paintings out of my system so I can move on to dealing with my inner armadillo ... I'm seeing a whole new series, armadillos in a mexican cantina.

I survived the head-hungry Jivaro tribe!
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2007-05-01 14:37 ]

T

On 2007-05-01 14:33, Swamp Fire wrote:
I'm seeing a whole new series, armadillos in a mexican cantina.

You're killing me Doug. Tikis. Seriously. Tikis.

M
Moki posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 6:31 PM

I'm still waiting for the Raccoon series :lol:

Hi everyone, recent stuff below.

"Creature from the isle of Pagan Delights"
Digital painting

Detail

Detail

Detail

"Swamp Fire Mask No.3"
Pencil on paper 14X22

"Fraternal order of Ku"
Pencil on Paper, 14X22

"Swamp Fire Mask No. 2"
Pencil on paper 12X12

Smokin Puffer
Pencil on paper

Thanks for looking

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2007-11-15 16:53 ]

On 2007-11-15 16:48, Swamp Fire wrote:

"Creature from the isle of Pagan Delights"
Digital painting

Just fabulous. Had to put a monkey in it though, didn't you.

Any plans for doing 3-D versions of the masks?

Very nice! Mask no.3 is awesome. I bet those pencil drawings are even better than those scans. Keep them comin.

Woah. Love the shrimp and brain thingie. What are you taking? And can I have some?
I agree with what Tiki-Kate said. I'd love to see a 3D mask of the shrunken head swamp creature too.
One question - why is the octopus tapping his tentacle?

Really love the lighting on the mask drawings too.

Awesome as always, Doug.

m&m

T

Mask No. 3 would make a good

o pencil

o monster finger (see the nail)

o monster killing stake

O print, magnet, necklace pendent, etc.

..cool...i'll bet holden is calling you right now to discuss turning your shrunken head swamp creature into your next tiki mug by tiki farm...(put me down for one!)

Amazing piece, Sir.
Great attention to detail and use of color.
The creature tiki is very cool. I'd love to see him in 3D.

One of the skewered fellows on the octopus plate is from "Fiend without a Face", correct?

Once again, your creativity and ability to bring your ideas to life are outstanding, Doug! STOP!! I have no more wall space. :)

You thinking about making pendants or full size wooden versions of the new masks?? hint hint

Mahalo for the sneak peek, Doug!
Myke

Great stuff! I'm liking the pencil drawings the most. Please send me a thanksgiving greeting with all those images as big as you can get them on my myspace page. (hee hee)
Cheers.

P
Paipo posted on Fri, Nov 16, 2007 5:34 PM

Well I tried to post on this thread last night, but was having trouble finding words to express my sense of wonder so I just spent ages looking at the screen with my jaw agape. Having just looked at everything again (several times) I'm still struggling. Everyone seems to have gone creature-crazy round here lately, which is a good thing - I like monsters with my tiki. I dig the little self-referential touches with the grog mug and the drink mats too. I see two great new potential mug designs there , along with the weathered tapa wall behind the shrunken head, which would make a cool shirt. The masks and puffer look like sweet old-school velvet paintings.
So, we've had the mugs, the prints, and the guitars...when is someone gonna bankroll the full blown Swamp Fire Lounge? That would have been a better bet for Vegas than the watered-down Trader Vic's they opened...

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-11-16 22:18 ]

Swamp Fire Lounge!
Swamp Fire Lounge!
Great idea Paipo!
Seeing the print and the masks in person at the Balihai was quite the Pleasure!
each little vignette contains a story....perfect!
To see his Hyper-detailed prints,then right next to them ,the absolutely PERFECT
pencil drawings on black! Wonderous!
Doug-you're a true inspiration and real Giant! :D

T
Tabu posted on Sat, Nov 17, 2007 6:07 AM

Wow. Great new work. The masks are intense and I love the Swamp Fire Lounge digital piece. As a big fan of The Creature I really appreciate the fanboy references here lately. I've been thinking about a small Creature tattoo for a long time and that shrunken head version would make a wicked one. The Creature tiki is an inspiration as well.

C

Excellente :)!!!!!!! Congrats!

Tiki-Kate, The monkey was just for you Kate. Hope he creeped you out real good, see below.

Aloha Station, Thanks!

Matt Reese, Thanks and sorry your whimpy computer can't handle my giant images.

Cheeky Half, Thanks, The octopus still has some live left in him. Morbid I know but hey fresh is always better right?

teakey, Monster killing a stake? You lost me on that one, tends to happen alot, me getting lost that is. A pendant would be fun.

Tipsy, Thanks, mug who needs another mug? Just say no people, ha.

Artasaurus, good eye, I was hoping someone would pick-up on the movie reference. A really bad B Sci-Fi movie with flying brains that choke people with their spinal cords. All in splendid black and white.

Tikiwinebear, Thanks!

Paipo, Thanks for the kind words. Creature from the black lagoon is in my top 10 movie list. I always thought it would be a great location for the Swamp Fire Lounge. I guess in real life the bartender would have to dress up like the creature ... too Disney?

LLT, hey thanks little man with giant hair. Great seeing your work in person at the Bali Hai. I love the giant 4 footer, more my proportions size wise and a great painting.

Tabu, Thanks, wow a tattoo would be cool. Great to hear when I have inspired someone to create art.

Clarita, Thanks for the comment!

Below is a little study sketch of the monkey used in the Monkey business guitar. Sorry Kate.

[ Edited by: Swamp Fire 2007-11-19 15:04 ]

Hey just got the print my sister bought from you in Old Town. It's really great, you sneaky bastard. It's gonna look sweet in the bar. Thanks for putting out the top quality stuff.
Cheers.

On 2007-11-19 13:40, Matt Reese wrote:
Hey just got the print my sister bought from you in Old Town. It's really great, you sneaky bastard. It's gonna look sweet in the bar. Thanks for putting out the top quality stuff.
Cheers.

Hey Matt, glad you like it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

B

Really loving your stuff Swampy, the Smoking Puffer is too BAD. and I Love the Octopus appetizer, makes me Hungry

Hey Doug- This new stuff is something else! I like the 'pus-on-a-platter and devil head fortune machine... Great kitschy stuff!

Great monkey Doug, mad skillz!!

Hey all,
Just wanted to share a pendant carving that Aloha Station (Tom) did.
It's based on my Swamp Fire No. 3 mask drawing.
Outstanding job Tom, love it!!!

5.5 inches
Wood? (Tom help me out)

Mask drawing
Pencil on paper

Happy New Year!

AWE SOME!

I'm still trying to grasp how amazing your "Creature" painting is! It was thrilling to see it in person at the Bali Hai. And, I think I found a clue to a ref to a really cool "water based monster" movie in it. The tentacle grabbing the girl looks sorta like the cover to the DVD for "the HOST". Is it a ref to this nifty flick?

U R Da BEST!

Hey Brad, thanks. I actually saw that DVD box after I did the painting. Was in Blockbuster and was like, man I wish I had seen this before doing the painting, it would have been great reference. When I did the painting I was thinking of 20 thousand leagues under the sea or something along those lines.

Aye Ya Ya....I love your "Creature from the Isle of Pagan Delights" it is just over the top. AWESOME!!!

Doug Horne's art is awesome! This thread deserves a bump.

SF

On 2008-07-30 16:26, TIKI-TONGA wrote:
Doug Horne's art is awesome! This thread deserves a bump.

Thanks Tiki-Tonga!

Check is in the mail.

Aloha Doug !!

As usual you are crankin out some great work!!! Love the creature piece! The detail you cram into a piece is astounding!!

Keep it up bruddah!!

Dirk Yates

http://www.yatesstudios.com

OMG! Almost one year since I’ve posted any art on this thread. Is this what they call a “Dead Thread”?

Well I’ve brought it back from the dead and added some new art, “Dead Thread Walking”!

First up is the next Tiki Magazine cover. Digital painting.

"Dawn of the undead Tiki mug collector"
Pencil on paper.

Graphite on paper.
Below is the digital painting done from the graphite study above.

"Angry Monkey"
Graphite on paper.

Mask
Color pencil on paper

"Crusty the Kona Swordfish"
Pencil on paper.

Lots more to come.

NICE!!!! LOVE that tiki mag cover. Great work as always!

Great job on the cover. I'm diggin' the "Angry Monkey" and "Dawn of the undead Tiki mug collector".

AWESOME Stuff Doug!!!!!! Blow your Horne more often!!!! I love to see the evolution into the newer work.
Congrats on the Tiki Mag cover. The first artist who has done two covers I believe!!!!!!

Keep it coming SWAMPFIRE!!!!

Still my Fav Baby!!!!!!

Oh! Oh! I want a copy of Dawn of the undead Tiki mug collector. When will these be available?

Beautiful new Tiki Mag cover Doug! Just beautiful, and so distinctive. It's nice to see your work as always.

gotta be one of the best covers yet!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies