Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Good Golly....Whats all this white stuff?

Pages: 1 2 66 replies

MD

So ya know Eskimos have like 40 names just for snow.....did Polynesians have any?
We spent all day digging out from 3 feet of frozen bliss. The whole city is shut down and I've been off for two days with pay. We had a ball rolling through the drifts after shoveling all day.
But I swear my oldest tiki is not happy. Him and a trio of plastic Santas are all sitting half buried in my front yard. The Santas are just as jolly as ever. But the tiki keeps muttering under his breath and throwing me dirty snide wooden looks.
I'm not too worried about him though....its the pink flamingos....they haven't been seen for days and it might be search and rescue time. Just how long can they breathe under five foot snowbanks?

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, Loving Kwanzaa, Happy New Year....let it snow let it snow let its snow!
Mr. Dale

do you realize the street value of your front yard?!?!?!

That's a lot of white powder!!!!

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-12-21 22:49 ]

Thank you Mr. Dale for taking that off our hands this year... we'll have a green Christmas in Wisconsin.

40 degrees and rain... and they're talking thunderstorms Friday...

First day of winter... ha!

My husband is stuck in that mess, been at the Denver airport for two days. Hopefully he'll make it home for Christmas :(

It's feast or famine, I guess. We haven't had more than a dusting so far. Looks like a brown Christmas. Atomicchick, I hope yer hubby can get home to you ASAP.

P

Plastic pink flamingos are the reason there are hurricanes and floods and volcanos and blizzards.
Pele don't like dem tings.

Good sledding!

What is that stuff??? Oh well, happy holidays from San DIego.
Cheers.

H

Well it is 40's and raining here in San Fernando Valley. happy Holidays to you and your family.

And a blanket of fog covers most of the UK. At least it makes it Dickensian!

Trader Woody

F

72° and rainy, and it's supposed to stay like this through x-mas day. I've been down here about 10 years now and still haven't gotten used to this time of year with out snow. It just doesn't seem like x-mas. Maype the Pink flamingos will go into a state of suspended animation or what ever the fake plastic animal version of that would be.

MD

Hey ya all.....we got out and about today. Spent all day running a back-hoe digging all the white glory. Someday we will be looking at palm trees in a different front yard....just for a happy change. Love Colorado....just wish it had a beach too!
Hey Atomic chick.....let me know if your husband is still here and if we can help him out. Okie doke?
Luv all yer guts....Mr. Dale

I am from upstate New York, a land of sometime ice and snow, where we dream of warmer climes. Funny thing is we've had virtually no snow this winter to date. Sales of natural gas for heating are down 40% from the same time last year ( I know this because I work for the gas company ). Of course around here we say if you don't like the weather give it a few minutes and it'll change. We'll probably be knee deep in the white stuff come St. Patrick's day. Had a brown and muddy Christmas. Happy New Years to all!

We had an unseasonably warm winter up until the middle to end of January. The Great Lakes were warmer than normal. When the cold finally came those winds crossing the lakes warm water turned into a monster snow making machine. We got about 4 to 5 feet of the white stuff. North of me, in Oswego and on the Tug Hill Plateau they got 10 to 12 feet of snow. There are people now who leave their house through the 2nd story window. I live about 45 minutes south of Oswego.

I wish I had thought to clean off part of my windshield for the picture so you could have seen my dashboard Leilani hula wiggler peeking out through the snow. Now that would have been a good pic.

Holy Cow...that is a lot of snow. I am too low for snow, but just a couple of hours away from Tahoe and it is covered in snow...I can see it when I drive home from work, it looks beautiful. Cool that ya got to stay home with a couple of days of pay. That has gotta be an expensive action for employers. Hope you still have power there. I can imagine that the tiki is not too happy covered in a coat of snow.

K

This is why I live in Florida....
Keep warm!
K.

On 2007-02-19 09:23, kikekeki wrote:
This is why I live in Florida....
Keep warm!
K.

This is why I don't... :P

K

wind shmind...
:P

:lol:

edited to add a laugh...

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2007-02-19 14:05 ]

Here in central New York we have snow for the third day in a row. It's colder today on Easter than it was on Christmas and we have more snow on the ground for Easter than we did for Christmas. We're still hangin' out waitin' for Spring.

UT

Same thing up here in Michigan. No egg hunt today unless you want to dig in the snow.This is why my basement lounge comes in handy. Can't see outside. Crank the heat, Throw on some exotica and have another cocktail.

UT

IT'S A BLIZZARD BABY!! Two thirds of the whole damn state is in some kind of a warning, watch advisory or other weather type of lookout. Fifty mile an hour winds. And lets not forget the lake effect snow. Wind chills around zero and sideways snow. And I just got called back to work so I'll have to drive in it tomorrow morning. At least I can buy some groceries now. The Hukilau Lounge in the basement is calling me. Stay warm my friends and we'll have snow for Christmas for sure.

Kalamazoo is the red blob.

It's not bad in downtown Grand Rapids. Unfortunately my snowblower died this morning. I've tried pouring Mai Tais in the tank, but apparently, that only works on me!

A

Oh, I know just how you guys feel. It's sunny here today, but we only got up to a high of a frigid 56 degrees, and after maybe three upcoming days of light rain we're only expected to be around 65 degrees and sunny next week. So I totally feel your pain.

B

23 in the Seattle area but REALLY sunny. Pretty good for a town that gets no weather! If you stand in the sun long enough your fingers eventually thaw out!

i'd almost like the snow, we're on our third day of 16-18 deg. thats cold for us. poor palms and tropicals dont look good!!! think the pineapple is toast.

global warming...

8T

2 degrees above Zero here this morning but we got really lucky because the heavy storm veered North and hit Iowa hard. I don't think there are any tikis in Iowa though so everyone go back to whatever you were doing.

OGR

14.5 inches in 16 hours yesterday and 0 (-25 WC) this morning...but hey, I am just below "the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field". This is why I love TC.

HJ

Metro Chicago is not tropical, single digits overnight, about 8 inches of snow-ice on the ground. As the Tradewinds (?) might have sang,

"My Jeep's in the garage, so it ain't covered with snow...."

Having some fun now !!! Had an ice storm last night and now a new weather advisory for lake effect snow tomorrow. I live in Michigan and own a Jeep.....let it snow !

I'd be happier if the snow waited until my power was restored! Can't run my blender!

Some people make the best of things (not my photo):
http://imgur.com/mbXusGh

On 2013-12-22 16:08, aloha.taboo wrote:
I'd be happier if the snow waited until my power was restored! Can't run my blender!

No problem - I think you need one of these:

I actually do have one, and it's pretty nifty.

UT

This is a screenshot of the weather report this morning. SUPER !!! And I get to work on a roof with over a foot of snow this morning. Note the little igloo icon in the upper right hand corner. The windchill is expected to fall to fifteen below once the wind starts up today.

That's cold! I see that next Sunday night in Iowa, where my brother lives, their temps will drop down to -21 and that's before wind chill. He also works outdoors, during the winter, it sucks to be him! I really have no right, ever, to complain when it drops down to the low 30's here in northeast Florida. Good rum helps keep me warm! I know that I really don't ever have any right to complain about what we call "cold weather" here where I live.

If your power does go out...

This is a real product.

tikilongbeach, that's awesome! With the pedal blender, hilarity would definitely ensue at any party!

UT

This was my uniform of the day. Sheep skin cap was the only way to ward off the marauding wind and cold on the roof today :D

Will this Sunday's (Jan 5, 2013) playoff game with the San Francisco 49ers playing at Green Bay Packer's Lambeau Field bethe coldest NFL game ever?

Cold, foggy, n wet here this morning.
Was around 45when I left the house.
Got up to around 60, but stayed foggy all day.
Thought about keeping my hoodie sweatshirt on
While cleaning pools. But I took it off and toughed it out.
:wink:

Jeff btd

had to dig up my leather jacket yesterday, was in the 40's.

today its gotten 20 degrees warmer!

Yep, it's going to be cold in Wisconsin too...

Not to mention we've got 2 feet of snow on the ground.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2014-01-04 15:17 ]

T

It's 20° here and Boulder got over 9" of snow so far today. This sounds like a job for Hot Buttered Rum!

North of Sacramento we are suffering in 60's with some possible showers in the outlook. All in all, it has been sunny and cool over the holidays...no complaints here!!! My sympathies to the East Coast.

J

When given lemons, I say make lemonade! ...and use it in some cocktails of course. :)

The official snow fall amount for Kzoo so far is 95". That's just an inch shy of eight feet folks!!! I snowblow, shovel and salt the sidewalks and patio. The big fun is using the roof rake. This is a twenty five foot pole with an aluminum rake on the end to pull snow off of the roof. After that bit of fun I use a tin can attached to the pole to put salt on the ice dams the freeze to the edge of the roof which aren't good. Total time after a good dump of snow, four hours. Now today it's going to be forty six degrees with thunder storms on top of the snow and that means flooding. And to think I grew up in Florida! Stay safe everyone.

No snow here in Michigan yet. Right now it's sunny and 66. I'm on the patio with a beer at the moment!

T

It was 70 today!!

Global warming is good, and hey by the time it starts being bad we will all be dead.
AND those pesky mean kids will be hot.

40 degrees said to be temp tomorrow.

T

As promised we had tepms around 38 degrees and even a white out snow storm coming home from the antique show.

Pages: 1 2 66 replies