Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Road Trip to San Francisco - March 8th - the Trek Begins...

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

I've been itching to go to San Francisco to hit some of the Tiki hot spots and to visit the Forbidden Island along the way. Is anyone interested in a road trip sometime in the next couple of months?

I just bought a new car -- and it would be a great way to break it in. Better yet, if there are number of people interested, it would be really fun to have a several cars loaded with tiki freaks caravaning all the way up to SF.

My my new ride can fit 4 comfortably -- so I'm throwing the idea out there.

This is the car my fellow partners in crime would be sharing with me.

Cheers!

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2007-01-21 13:39 ]

Looks like a great ''ride'' for a road trip. There are a few us in the Sacramento area that have been talking about making the trek to Forbidden Island. If the dates work out maybe we can hook up. Looks like that ride could bring back a few tikis too!

Fun new ride ya got there. Looking forward to watching the travelers sign up for this road trip!! :tiki:

I've got one seat on the car reserved in mon petit l'orange...and the Forbidden Island is definitely a stop....

just did a wicked little adventure of the same variety over the holiday - wouldn't mind a repeat. I hear the Creperie that Tiki Bob guards is actually a good place to eat??? Depending on the date, I'd be up for a road trip!

I bet if your car had a name, people would go.

Actually, I posted a "Name my Car" Thread under bilge....I've been checking out what folks have come up with....I think I actually would like a vanity plate in line with the color....and for some reason the car feels like a woman...

Forbidden Island has a mug with your name on it.
We look forward to meeting you.

A

Shotgun!!!!

What are the dates you are thinking? I'd like to go.

Looks like 2nd weekend in March.

Yee Haw.....if you folks drive up on Saturday, March 10th....I will host a party for ya on Sunday, March 11th. Let me know if that sounds doable? I will link up with the NorCal faction and we can have a tiki sale in the garage. :)

CL

Sounds like a FUN road trip. Mai Tai and I will be happy to join in at FI, provided the date works. Just let us know.

Will you be hitting Tonga Room, Trader Vics (any one or all of the 3), Conga Lounge, or Kona club? Do I smell a mini-crawl in the air? :wink:

Word of caution, FI fills up Friday and Saturday nights. So try to get there early if possible. :) Also, Martiki is usually there Saturday, but not Friday nights.

What love! I'll check with my fellow-car mates and see what works for all--I'm flexible.

Looks like my vehicle is "booked", but if anyone pulls out, I'll start a list. I'm also checking with another girlfriend. She has a SUV, if I can twist her arm, she'll be able to haul another 2-3 people.

I do want to hit FI and would like to see the Tonga Room in SF and whatever else we have time for or what others would like to hit...

A mini-crawl? Damn, I'm driving. Cheers!

I'm up for a Sacramento-Forbidden Island road trip!

Early March is good - tho I wish it were sooner!! What fun!!

CL

Mai Tai and I live 5 minutes away from Forbidden Island...dangerously close for our own good... :wink:

You could easily spend the evening only at Forbidden Island and have a lovely time. If you choose to go to the other local tiki bars, FI is in close proximity to them: Tonga Room and TV SF are 20 - 25 minutes North, Conga Lounge and Kona Club are 15 minutes East, and TV Emerville is 20 minutes North East.

Cheers! :)

On 2007-01-12 17:42, CheekyGirl wrote:
What love! I'll check with my fellow-car mates and see what works for all--I'm flexible.

Looks like my vehicle is "booked", but if anyone pulls out, I'll start a list. I'm also checking with another girlfriend. She has a SUV, if I can twist her arm, she'll be able to haul another 2-3 people.

I do want to hit FI and would like to see the Tonga Room in SF and whatever else we have time for or what others would like to hit...

A mini-crawl? Damn, I'm driving. Cheers!

Looks like the trek will commence on Thurs. March 8th....the adventure begins...
My car is packed, but if anyone else wants to join in...the tiki caravan...

Looking forward to the agenda so I can link up with ya at FI and maybe in SF. :tiki:

M

On 2007-01-18 21:26, CheekyGirl wrote:
Looks like the trek will commence on Thurs. March 8th....the adventure begins...
My car is packed, but if anyone else wants to join in...the tiki caravan...

Crap- that's the day I fly out of town for 10 days. Have fun at FI!

Drats! Martiki -- we were looking forward to your mixologist skills.

So far, we were thinking of hitting FI on Thurs. evening and pretty much planting ourselves there for the evening. We will probably need to find someplace to stay within stumbling or short taxi ride distance, otherwise we risk passing out and getting rolled.

There's a Day's Inn a mile away, with some nice mid-century details and good rates.
A bunch of us stayed there after the fab New Years Eve party at FI.
Check it out:

Right on...thanks Mike!

S

On 2007-01-17 09:12, Coco Loco wrote:
Mai Tai and I live 5 minutes away from Forbidden Island...dangerously close for our own good... :wink:

Too close? I wish I were closer and that I could take BART there! hehe
Suzanne

J

Suzanne,
You can take BART to downtown Oakland and the AC Transit 51 bus from there to Santa Clara and Bay (1 block from FI). We'd like to see your face there sometime soon!

S

Will it take me home too? Hehehehe
I'd love to see you soon, too, JenTiki!

Suzanne

I booked a room today with 2 queen beds at the Days Inn in Alameda for Thurs. March 8th. I'm also bringing an inflatable queen bed. Here's the address and contact number of the motel in case anyone else is interested in joining the convoy.

Days Inn Alameda
1925 Webster Street
Alameda, CA
510-521-8400

The rate I was quoted was $79.00+taxes.

I'm in the process of looking into rooms in SF. Cheers!

I looked up the hotel that was used for last SF crawl in 2006. Unless anyone is opposed, I’m booking us for the balance of our stay Fri. March 9 thru Sun. March 11th (check out) at The Phoenix Hotel (601 Eddy St., San Francisco, CA (415) 766-1380). Apparently, it’s pretty close to the SF Trader Vic’s)

You know, I just realized I should have posted this in "Tiki Travel" -- sorry!

On 2007-02-16 12:11, CheekyGirl wrote:
You know, I just realized I should have posted this in "Tiki Travel" -- sorry!

Noooo, anytime the Hoities get up here, it's an event.

Cheeky Girl~ Don't Miss Out on the Happy Hour at The Tonga Room:

Happy Hour - Monday through Friday - 5pm-7pm
All You Can Eat Happy Hour Buffet $8.00 per person that features chicken or vegetable stir-fry made to order, baby back ribs, crab ragoon, spring rolls, & fruit and cheeses along with Great Drink Specials.

On 2007-02-20 07:25, WooHooWahine wrote:
Cheeky Girl~ Don't Miss Out on the Happy Hour at The Tonga Room:

Happy Hour - Monday through Friday - 5pm-7pm  
 All You Can Eat Happy Hour Buffet $8.00 per person that features chicken       or vegetable stir-fry made to order, baby back ribs, crab ragoon, spring rolls, & fruit and cheeses along with Great Drink Specials.  

And don't forget the indoor rainstorm over the indoor lagoon!!! And all the great Oceanic Arts decor from the mid-60's!!!!!

Here's the proposed itinerary. I somewhat followed footsteps of the last crawl.

Thursday 3/8

Forbidden Island Night

Friday 3/9

San Francisco

4:00 pm to 5:00 pm - Trad'r Sams
5:00 pm to 7:30 pm - Tonga Room
7:30 pm to 9:00 pm - Bamboo Hut
9:00 pm to Closing - Trader Vic's SF

Saturday 3/10

5:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Kona Club
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm - Conga Lounge
9:00 pm to Closing - Trader Vic's Emeryville.

I figured I'd leave enough room to sober up during the day and/or any day trippin' anyone wants to do. I would like to check out the Tiki Bob on Taylor & Post and there's supposed to be an amazing view of SF at top of Market St. called Twin Peaks.

[ Edited by: cheekygirl 2007-03-04 17:28 ]

PARTEEEEEE!

CL

Okay, who stole Unga's password? :D

On 2007-02-21 16:06, Unga Bunga wrote:
PARTEEEEEE!

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-02-21 17:34 ]

On 2007-01-12 04:49, VampiressRN wrote:
Yee Haw.....if you folks drive up on Saturday, March 10th....I will host a party for ya on Sunday, March 11th. Let me know if that sounds doable? I will link up with the NorCal faction and we can have a tiki sale in the garage. :)

TIKI HUNTER will have loads of great Tiki items at the Vamp's March 10th Tiki get together. We will even hang out if the Tiki Road Trips folks make it out to Sacramento by the 11th. If not I will try to clear it with the powers that be at the wonderful Forbidden Island!
Mojo

If you're going to SF you definately want to hit the Tonga room at the Fairmont. It doesn't open until after 5pm, FYI. It's awesome!

We finally made it to Forbidden Island in early January, met some friends there before we flew out to Hawaii, it was a great way to kick off the vacation.

Have fun! Maybe we'll see you there! (We're going to LA this weekend, tomorrow a visit to Tiki-Ti and Saturday morning it's Oceanic Arts for some supplies, then back to Sac)...

On 2007-02-20 13:15, CheekyGirl wrote:
Here's the proposed itinerary. I somewhat followed footsteps of the last crawl.

Thursday 3/8

Forbidden Island Night

Friday 3/9

San Francisco

3:30 pm to 5:00 pm - Trad'r Sams
5:00 pm ot 7:30 pm - Tonga Room
7:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Bamboo Hut
9:30 pm to Closing - Trader Vic's SF

Saturday 3/10

5:00 pm to 7:00 pm - Kona Club
7:00 pm to 9:00 pm - Conga Lounge
9:00 pm to Closing - Trader Vic's Emeryville.

I figured I'd leave enough room to sober up during the day and/or any day trippin' anyone wants to do. I would like to check out the Tiki Bob on Taylor & Post and there's supposed to be an amazing view of SF at top of Market St. called Twin Peaks.

Cheeky,
If I may.... I suggest you cut the Tradr Sam visit to 4:30 as it'll take you a good 20-30 minutes to get to the Tonga Room (Fairmont Hotel). You are going to have Friday afternoon rush hour to contend with so you may want to plan on being in SF early Friday for sightseeing, etc. I'd do SF TV's early Friday afternoon then Tradr Sam then Tonga (Great Happy Hour-$8 all you can eat and drink specials), then Bamboo Hut and back to Forbidden Island (if you all are staying in Alameda.) And maybe flip the Kona Club and Conga Lounge so you can try the pizza! And while you're at the Kona Club, run up the street and check out Trader Vic's final resting spot!(He's pretty much staring right down the road at the Kona Club!) Just some thoughts....

No matter what you do in what order you all are going to run into great people and places like WooHooWahine and I did!

Are these travelers traveling?

Have Fun Kids! :)

J

On 2007-03-08 08:29, tikiwinebear wrote:

I had an email from one of them this morning and they're on their way! They'll be getting to FI around opening time I believe. I've heard there's quite a roster of NorCal tiki peeps coming down as well, so it should be tons o' fun! Come on down, Myke!

CL

TWB,

In our drunken haze last week...many TC Weds nighters decided to attend Thursday this week, instead of Weds, in honor of the So CA visit. So, it's TC night tonight instead of last night for some of us.

We'll be there tonight, I believe Hanford and Humu are planning to be in attendance, Thayer and Scott will probably be there as well. Sadly, Martiki is off on his world journey, so won't be in attendance tonight. There also may be another surprise guest tonight with the initials of MrS making a surprise appearance as well. :wink:

Welcome SOCAL contingency, we look forward to seeing you tonight! :)

CL

On 2007-03-08 08:29, tikiwinebear wrote:

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-03-08 10:24 ]

I didn't make plans for Tiki Central night last night in hopes the SoCal Ohana were still coming tonight (Thursday). So, there is a VERY good chance I will make it out of the grapevine covered hills and head for Alameda tonight. I hear there will be a whole bunch of people there I haven't met or haven't seen for awhile. This should be fun!! I probably won't get there until 8:00'ish, so save some of the Mystery Bowl for me too!

• Myke
CL

I'll be in San Jose until 4:30, so we definitely won't be there when it opens. We'll probably get there around 7 or 8ish. :)

On 2007-03-08 11:31, tikiwinebear wrote:
I didn't make plans for Tiki Central night last night in hopes the SoCal Ohana were still coming tonight (Thursday). So, there is a VERY good chance I will make it out of the grapevine covered hills and head for Alameda tonight. I hear there will be a whole bunch of people there I haven't met or haven't seen for awhile. This should be fun!! I probably won't get there until 8:00'ish, so save some of the Mystery Bowl for me too!

• Myke
M

Hoity Toity Alert!

Ruh Oh,
cpt.midnite, no longer safe in the DHTZ*

*DeHoity-Toitied Zone

T

I'm aiming for 7-8ish as well.

see you all there!

There also may be another surprise guest tonight with the initials of MrS making a surprise appearance as well. :wink:

Man, talk of surprise appearances - Mr Smiley, Unga Bunga, Chongolio, Drunken Hat, C'leen.
Good to see ya all again!!

MT

The Hoity Toities have revised their itinerary for today (Saturday), and have asked us to post it for them, since they don't have access to a computer.

Kona Club - 5:00pm - 6:00pm

Conga Room - 6:00pm - 7:00pm

Trader Vic's Emeryville 7:00 - closing

Forbidden Island - if they can squeeze it in for a nightcap

Be there, or be, like, squaresville, man!

Pages: 1 2 67 replies