Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

recent NYC TIKI crawls+pics

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

T

thanks guys for the mugs!!! They're great! I've got them in the window display. I'm sorry I missed you guys on saturday. Perhaps I'll see you later tonite for Fisherman
thanks again
steve
otto's shrunken head

MC

you're very welcome. It's all about keeping the Nyc tiki spirit growing.
We just popped in for a minute on sat. (coming all the way from Jersey wiped us out) but we'll be back on the 27th (fisherman!) for a more extensive and Tiki- fabulous time.

S

Aloha NYC Tribe!

Just back from Boston and man, was it cold!!!

-15 wind chill! It's good to be back home. Better pack your big coat, Humuhumu!

Anyhoo, had a great time in NYC! Mahalos again to Manic Cat, Ben (Dr. Funk), and Inky Louise for your incredible hospitality and for showing me such a great time.

Here are some pix from our revelry.

Friday night at Waikiki Wally's.

Frozen Moai out side of Wally's. Does he look familiar?

Waikiki Wally's Bar.

In the war room with Lucky Chang, Manic Cat, Stentiki & Inky Louise. Lucky Chang owns Wally's and kindly bought us a volcano bowl!

Arty with Crazy Al's Tiki.

Ben & Manic do their impression of Eminem at Lucky Chang's. Hey, I thought this was supposed to be "mellow night!"

Inky's Tiki Bar. A brilliant and creative way to do Tiki New York style! Truly inspiring!

Inky counsels Arty on how to make "Inky's Meow Tai."

The infamous Russel, KO-HUNA (co-president) of the NYC Tribe.

KO-HUNA mug (courtesy of Manic Cat) and view from the "Ink Pad." Yes, that's the Chrysler Building from Inky's window!

Manic Cat & Ben enjoying Inky's Meow Tais and Uke music.

Inky & Arty @ Chan's. Wassup with those hats?!

Manic Cat, Ben, Arty & Inky dine @ Chan's.

Inky pays homage to Chan's.

A peekaboo shot of Chan's bar. Sopranos type regulars in the background!

Good times, kids!

Big Alohas and Mahalos,

Arty

H

Looks like fantastic fun! Thanks for the pics, and the coat tip, Arty.

So -- what's the plan for Monday? I'm leaving first thing Saturday morning, and I may not have internet access in NY -- if I do, it probably won't be until Monday afternoon. I'm staying in dorms at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, so I don't have a phone # for you to call me at. Let's pick a time & place, and please make sure it doesn't change between now and Monday (or, if it does, some kind soul send a scout to meet me).

Also, what other things in Manhattan should I check out while I'm there on Sat & Sun that won't be on our crawl on Monday? I have to save the obvious stuff (Empire State Building, et al.) until I come back with my husband someday -- I'm looking for cool little weird things he won't mind missing out on.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Another great job with the Crawl pics!!! It was a great weekend and we can't wait to meet more Tiki Centralites next time!! Please joing us for next MONDAY.

I guess Inky and I have to make some decisions concerning Monday:
Ink Pad??
WW+Tiny Bubbles Band +dinner
Ottos+Fisherman +drinks

But I think it's time for another trek to Zombie Hut. I'm willing to go out there early on Sat. night if anyone is interested??

and what to do in NYC?? everything!! what are you looking for?

I think your plan is great!

The Ink Pad is OPEN! Can we start a bit early like 6:30 ish at my place? It is a school night. Humuhumu, I will email you at your link address and directions to get to my place then we will drag you about from there.

Unfortunatly my weekend is booked so I can't join you at Zombie sat.

Sten- the photos are great! If you weren't so busy co-ruling our tribe, you could be the staff paparazzi!

H

Okay, I'm all set for this weekend & next Monday. I think I have the train part figured out. I'm gonna bundle up big-time. I think on Sat & Sun I'm gonna just bum around and see the sights -- I figure there's not any part of NYC that'll be boring to me. I might try to check out the Lei Bar & Marion's.

See you guys Monday!

Any other New York Centralites out there gonna join us Monday?

MC

I can't make it to the Ink Pad, but I'll see ya'll at Waikiki Wally's after 9-9:30. And then sometime to Ottos (for some good vibes Fisherman.)
Who's a'coming for some TIKI?
Inky Louise
Humuhumu
Manic Cat and Ben (Shalom Aloha)
friends Alana and Nick and brother from London (they are recent tiki converts--especially because they didn't know about the tiki in England)
Lance Samoan???
Manehune??

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:13 ]

u dunno watcha missin!

MC

Shalom Aloha - Inky Louise - Manic Cat
the Tiki Central NYC Chapter
(But wait where's Uncle Arty? Did he go back to his hotel room early, again??
FYI: Russell was out with a sore eye.)
Lucky Cheng's/ Waikiki Wally's
This had to be the coldest night of the year!! I had to wear a turtleneck under my aloha shirt. That is not Tiki!

Shalom Aloha's eyes wander during a seductive duet of Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" with one one of Lucky Cheng's fabulous drag-queen regulars.

I don't have any psychedelic Polaroids to illustrate the wild visit of Humuhumu. She's a sweetie! Zombie Hut provided for a satisfying Saturday, but nothing can top Fisherman at Otto's on Monday. Everyone must support this exotica trio of vibraphone, stand-up bass, and drums because we are SO LUCKY to have them here in NYC. And they take requests!

[ Edited by: manic cat on 2003-01-30 16:45 ]

you posted those, yikes!!!!

I had a great time monday night too!
Humuhumu is a great gal, cant wait to see her pad in person.

Fisherman rocks! Everybody should go and experience that! It was great!

I had the BEST time in New York! The local tiki crew took much better care of me than I deserved. The pads are fabulous, Wally's was wonderful, and I cannot say enough good things about Otto's and FISHERMAN! If you're just sitting in your apartment on Monday nights in NYC, you should be ashamed of yourself for missing his fabulous vibraphone at Otto's. Sadly, I forgot to charge my camera, so I have no pics! Gives me a reason to head back as soon as possible. Thanks to all involved, especially Manic Cat & Inky Louise, for making it all happen!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies