Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Rum sipping tips needed AKA how to sip rum

Pages: 1 20 replies

Because I've searched the web for rum sipping tips and came up with information on sipping whiskey and because everyone likes to see questions that they know the answer to I'll pose a basic one that will help me out. I've recently purchased a bottle of Cruzan Single Barrel which is suitable for sipping however I do not have the appropriate rum sipping skills.

My first efforts resulted in me coughing a lot as I was used to drinking wine and I took way too much air and rum into my mouth. I also got my nose way into the glass to give it a whiff which is not fun unless you are watching someone else do it. Sadly I was the only one around.

I found some guidelines but I still feel that I'm missing quite a bit. I am making progress as I was able to smell a distinct mint flavor on the rum tonight but that may be because of a cold I'm getting over. If you could correct me of my ways and set me on the right path I would greatly appreciate it. First some guidelines I found on the internet and then a couple questions.

1. When sniffing the rum, give yourself some distance otherwise you'll just get alcohol fumes.
  2. Don't breathe in while sipping, that would be bad.
  3. First take a small sip to coat your mouth and swallow, follow by a larger sip, don't hold it in your mouth for more than 4 seconds.

I'm really not sure about that the last one, clarification would be grand.

What is the proper glassware to use in a rum sipping situation? I'm using a short 7-up glass right now and I know that's not right.

Do you sip rum alone or paired with food like you do with wine?

Of course this could all be personal tastes and I'll have to develop my own style but I could really use a jumping of point here. I do however like the idea of getting to know particular rum so I’m looking forward to the rest of the bottle.

Many Thanks,
Sporkboy

I always go for a brandy balloon. It traps the fantastic aromas.

Mmmmmm Cruzan

These glasses are pure style. You cant go wrong with these.

normann COPENHAGEN Cognac Glass and Rocking glass
http://www.unicahome.com/catalog/item.asp?id=28280&PartnerID=FR

[ Edited by: thegreenman 2007-01-12 04:53 ]

[ Edited by: thegreenman 2007-01-12 04:56 ]

Those are some swanky looking glasses, I'll look into those, thanks.

Last night I came up with a couple more questions.
What temperature should the rum be and do I warm it with my hand (as the suggested glassware suggests) or do I keep my hand away from it?

Is there swirling involved like with wine?

Do I pour some rum and let it oxidize a little bit or do I start right off with the sniffing and sipping?

I guess that I need to know what one should do from pouring to tasting technique. I'm sorry if these seem like basic questions but my experience in this field is limited at best.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 4:46 PM

I put coke with my rum and drink it out of the biggest tiki mug I have :)

put rum in glass...put glass to mouth, ..tilt glass, let rum run into mouth.....there!! .....you are now sipping rum!!

H

hahahahahaahaha!

On 2007-01-12 16:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
put rum in glass...put glass to mouth, ..tilt glass, let rum run into mouth.....there!! .....you are now sipping rum!!

OK, now I see where I was having problems. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm actually very interested in this thread. I was wondering if there was any special way to serve rum, like the way that serving wine has an almost ceremonial feel.

MT

Please take great care when tilting glass, that you don't tilt too much. Overtilting might result in rum running out of your mouth and all over your face and shirt!

Um you forgot to add "- Repeat as desired or until rum runs dry."

WARNING: Spilling of rum is punishable by LAW in some states, Tiki Bars, Backyard, Neighborhoods, and/or pool areas or while engaged in maritime activities.

What they said, especially the part about spillage and laws in certain states......

On a serious note.... You should sip rums the same way you would sip a Cognac, Whiskey, or a Scotch. Most 'good' rums are made with the same care and attention to detail and blending and flavor as as a good blended whiskey or fine scotch. As to hot or cold, try each rum each way. Some are going to be better warmed while others will be better cooler. You are going to get very different flavors, well you are going to get the flavors in a very different way and intensity as you warm the rums for sipping.

As to the glasses and overall presentation, the better the glass and the better the presentation, the better the overall experience is going to be. None of it will help a bad rum, but a nice presentation in a nice glass will make a nice rum nicer overall.

Now, to your original question regarding the Cruzan Single..... I like to take a shot sized glass with a bit of crushed ice and a fat lime wedge (not squeezed, just drop it in the glass) and fill it to the brim. That, to me, brings out the best of the Cruzan. Try it your way and let us know what you find.

And, like they said, Pour - Drink - Repeat

T

Good questions. I usually give anything new a sniff before I do anything with it. I also like taking a shot of anything new, no matter how bad it might be (Bacardi deserves it's relatively poor reputation-- even the Anejo 8 is like gasoline).
I've actually been doing some side by side tastings, comparing Bacardi Gold to Light to Anejo (all three pretty much suck). I've also compared regular Myers to the 10yo Legend (not much difference, especially since a bottle of Legend is twice the cost and half the size).
I've also discovered that I like Pyrat Pistol better than the XO reserve, although both are pretty sweet.
I've tried sipping it straight, which works fine, but I usually like my drinks cold, no matter what, so I personally like a little ice in there. I usually just use a small rocks glass, but a snifter type glass would be better.
Chip and Andy make a good point-- hot vs cold will definitely change the tastes that you get, and some rums will be better one way. Sort of like Sake, I guess.
Trying new stuff is what makes it fun. I've started keeping a journal, the way wine people keep journals about the different wines they try. Sure, there's not as many different types of rum, but I've realized from my records that I like Goslings Black Seal and Pusser's rum as much as I've liked stuff that's quite a bit more expensive (I hated Sea Wynde, as an example-- I think I'd rather drink Bacardi).
Have fun!

Thanks for the tips on temperature, I'll definitely have to try changing that around and getting a brandy balloon will definitely help my ability to do that.

That's also a good point on keeping a journal. I should be keeping a wine journal anyway so I'll pick one of those up and use it for wine and rum.

It sounds like I need to mix things around a bit and find out what works for me for a certain rum. Any other techniques that you use would be greatly appreciated.

T

Sporkboy ....pratice , pratice , pratice !!!!!!

T

On 2007-01-13 15:39, sporkboyofjustice wrote:

That's also a good point on keeping a journal. I should be keeping a wine journal anyway so I'll pick one of those up and use it for wine and rum.

I'll probably start putting other stuff in my journal, too. Liqueurs and stuff that I like, that sort of thing. I find it very entertaining to compare things of the same type, like orange curacao and other orange liqueurs. I tried some Bols Orange Curacao side by side with Seniors. No competition. The Seniors actually tastes like orange, and the Bols sort of tastes like, well, orange flavored gasoline (napalm?). I've got some Grand Marnier and Cointreau to try as well. Should be fun. Just thought you might like the idea, especially if you're keeping notes on wine, too. Why not a journal of all types of alcohol? ha!

... I've got some Grand Marnier and Cointreau to try as well. Should be fun. ...

You are going to like the Cointreau after tasting the Bols. Gran Marnier is a little weak overall in flavor, but I find it to be refreshing served over crushed ice.

S

I didn't see anything specific, but you might look around The Ministry of Rum for tips. They have a message board on eGullet as well. There is a link to that on their site.

Cruzan Diamond Dark Rum is an amazing bottle. Also is their navy edition black strap rum.

On 2007-01-20 05:41, arobinson19 wrote:
Cruzan Diamond Dark Rum is an amazing bottle. Also is their navy edition black strap rum.

Tell us more about the Black Strap. I found it to be a bit overly sweet from the molassas start, but that is just my taste. Tell us what you like about and it why.

Pages: 1 20 replies