Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: the Burnt Claw

Pages: 1 3 replies

R

My girlfriend accidentally scalded her hand last night, and we were joking about taking her one red hand on the road and she could be "Lobster Girl." To ease her pain, I was inspired to develop a drink concoction! One could certainly make substitutions, the brands listed below are what we had on hand - although I'm not sure what other rum would be a good sub for the Black Strap.

THE BURNT CLAW
2 oz vanilla rum (we used Brinley Gold)
1 oz Cruzan Black Strap
1/2 oz passion fruit syrup (we used Fee's Red)
1 oz lime juice (we used Nellie & Joe's Key Lime, which is quite potent--if using regular lime juice, you may want to up it an extra 1/3 to 1/2 oz)
1 oz Falernum (we used Taylor Velvet)

Shake with crushed ice, serve in a rocks glass with the ice.

The drink has a cherry cola-ish flavor; the vanilla rum seems to balance out the cloves of the Falernum and the molasses flavor of the Black Strap so that no single flavor dominates. This is my first concoction that I took pains to think about and write down, as opposed to just randomly throwing stuff in the shaker. We'll definitely make it again!

Cheers,
Rupe

[ Edited by: rupe33 2007-01-28 06:38 ]

R

Tonight we did a variation:

The BUTTERED CLAW.... same as above, but substitute Brinley Gold Mango Rum for the vanilla rum. Slightly sweeter, and maybe even better than the Burnt Claw!

Cheers,
Rupe

Who knew that from such human suffering would come a new drink (with variations). How is the patient? :)

R

The patient is liquored up!

And should be fine in another day or two (burn-wise)...

Pages: 1 3 replies