Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

squid's whittlin's ...carvin' up the neighbor's trash...

Pages: 1 39 replies

S
squid posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 5:36 PM

Yes, I have finally joined the woodies! After sculpting Benzart's mugs and oogling over everybody's posts here, I got inspired to carve again after 30 some-odd years. I doubt I'll ever be prolific due to other commitments but when I have time, it's as enjoyable as anything. So here's the first project that I'm not embarrased to show. Trust me, there are a couple that shall become kindling.

Whittled from exotic recycled wood. Species:thriftus storum saladi spoonus.
I'll post more as they're done.

[ Edited by: squid 2007-02-02 15:13 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2007-02-08 21:56 ]

[ Edited by: squid 2007-03-03 10:46 ]

That is sweeet, for a saladius spoonimus.
Really, nice and clean.

B
Bowana posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 7:50 PM

Hey Squid! Nice looking Moai whittlin'. I like the curli-Q's. Stylin'! I hope you are hooked on carving now.

I tried out a bit of Casteline. It's kind of sticky, but holds detail very well. Try it!

A

Neato, looks like it's old hat to you.

Keep'em coming.

C

Lol! I can't stop laughing about the thriftus storum saladi spoonus!!
Great job , you must really have 8? arms like a real squid to model all that mugs and find time for carving too... Great piece congrats!

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 2:00 PM

Thanks for all the "atta boys". I was a bit hesitant to post with all the stellar chippers out there. You are too kind! More this afternoon...

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 3:12 PM

OK, here's Moai #2 from the same exotic wood source. Same size as #1. He's a bit more aggressive with a slightly slanted top. Nose inspired by gangster in old Looney Toons cartoon!!

Goes up for sale shortly. Thanks for looking!

B
Bowana posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 7:48 PM

On 2007-02-02 14:00, squid wrote:
Thanks for all the "atta boys". I was a bit hesitant to post with all the stellar chippers out there. You are too kind! More this afternoon...

Oh Squid, you are so modest. "Mugsy" looks great! Hey what happened to your cool sig with the Finky musicians?

P
pdrake posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 7:55 PM

that must've been a thick spoon.

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 8:26 PM

On 2007-02-02 19:48, Tikidav wrote:

Oh Squid, you are so modest. "Mugsy" looks great! Hey what happened to your cool sig with the Finky musicians?

I toined off da finks so's dat Mugsy would be taken serious-like! Got me?

And yes pdrake, it was a whopper of a salad spoon. I can still get one more out of it!
Now to work on the cathedral butresses I just found...let's see...4,000 goes into triple naught a gazillion times..carry the deuce....

Very very very nice!!! Don't hide your talent away for the world....keep on carving that is beautiful. :wink:

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 9:32 PM

Thanks Vampy! You practice your vibes, I'll keep chippin'.

wow squid, those are seriously cool!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 11:58 AM

These are made in the Philipines, right?

S
squid posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 12:27 PM

On 2007-02-03 06:47, zombiepops wrote:
wow squid, those are seriously cool!

I'm gettin' hungry...where do I get Zombie Pops?

S
squid posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 12:31 PM

On 2007-02-03 11:58, GROG wrote:
These are made in the Philipines, right?

Groggy, you know that I'm subcontracting all my work to Kirby. :wink:

Those are super spiffy, totally got your looney tunes gangster reference, very fun on a moai too!

On 2007-02-03 12:27, squid wrote:

I'm gettin' hungry...where do I get Zombie Pops?

They are the frozen brains treat the kids love to eat!

I'm brainy for zombiepops!

B

Very good pendant.

Benjamin.

B

I really love the exadurated features on this # 2. Just shows how far you can take a carving. I'm sure you could even take it further. Lookin great Squeed

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 9:08 AM

On 2007-02-05 07:46, Benzart wrote:
Lookin great Squeed

Ben funny!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 2:52 PM

Pretty damn nice pieces Squid, what are you using to carve em? X-acto knife? How long til we can get the resins?

Squid uses the FORCE!

S
squid posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 9:46 PM

On 2007-02-05 14:52, Paipo wrote:
Pretty damn nice pieces Squid, what are you using to carve em? X-acto knife? How long til we can get the resins?

I used an x-acto hook blade and a curved blade (the opposite way, don't know what it's called). Also a regular flat blade cleanout knife. I cut out the basic form with a fine coping saw which really speeds things along. Glad ya like 'em!

Resins maybe late March. Kinda swamped now but I'll post in Marketplace when ready.

Obi Wan Diablo passed the force to me at the Tonga Hut art show. It involves a secret handshake enhanced with Tonga Punch residue.

Thanks Danny!

P
pdrake posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 9:50 PM

it's called a pelican knife. don't use it on your lap. it cuts arteries.

S
squid posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 9:51 PM

OK, so what do you do with the wide part of the handle right before the spoony part?
(I think it's called "Taint")
Well you make a one-off for yourself that shall not be reproduced. I give you the squid signature pendant...

J

Dude, that is so cool!!! And yes, I do believe that part of the spoon is called the taint. Please wear it to the Kirby's Birthday/Tiki Night/Jen's First Time thingy at the Tonga Hut on the 24th so we can all ogle it!

Lovely work Sir Squid!

Great design Squidster... I dig all the curly tentacles..

Ahh the steeecky fingas not from a drink!

S
squid posted on Fri, Feb 9, 2007 9:27 AM

On 2007-02-08 23:55, Tiki Diablo wrote:
Ahh the steeecky fingas not from a drink!

EEEEEEEEEUUUWWWWW!

Looks like the ol' Cthulu eee-veil jus' crept out that thar spoon!

CA

stick my head in the sand for a bit and Squid starts growing branches out the wa-zoo... what the... Darwin effect takes over and the son of the see sprouts legs and morphs into a industrial little beaver with culinary abilities.....

what's next......... more nice stuff

S
squid posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 10:45 AM

I know, I know. You're saying to yourself, "If Squid would just APPLY himself and snag more kitchen utensils we would see more carvings than this pathetic dribble of stuff every month and a half, give or take a week" Well at least that's what I'd be thinking looking at this snail's-pace posting!

But alas, Squid is a lazy-ass cephalopod and only has this to offer. It's already sold so I can't even milk it into a Marketplace thread. sigh

I give you the Mahogany Moai #3 with teak toggle:

I really enjoyed carving the mahogany. It's quite hard but I liked the fact that you can get really crisp cuts into it. And the grain is awesome. It was a real surprise to see it pop when I put the first coat of finish on. Next time I'll go for more decorative detail. Basic silhouette was cut with a coping saw and the balance done with Dremel and various x-acto blades (hook, pelican, flat). This guy was made from a discarded fireplace facade that my neighbor was THROWING OUT!!! The horror!!

Little Lost Tiki has done some dremeling/painting on a couple of pieces and I gave Kirby a big chunk of it. Be sure to bug him :)

P

wow.

that is spectacular. i really mean that.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 11:32 AM

Mine!

P

oh, wait. it's double sided. i take it back. it sucks.

U

I just received Pendent #2 Moai. It's got girth! Thanks Squid i'll never take it off. I feel kinda of strong wearing it.

trash-picker!

M
mieko posted on Thu, Mar 29, 2007 1:46 PM

Looks great! I love working with recycled wood. :) What did you do for a finish? I've got a piece that I think is mahogany and I can't decide how I'm going to finish it.

Pages: 1 39 replies