Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

soon available!! new! shrunken heads (not the mugs). LATEST PICTURES PER REQUEST!!!! PG.2

Pages: 1 36 replies

T
THOR's posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 3:36 PM

ALOHA!!

I am taking a break from painting. I had to put my other projects on hold to complete four large paintings for the Polynesian Resort Lobby in Walt Disney World. This is another commission I wanted to finish before I continued with more mug designs and paintings for the Thor Stors. However, it's FRIDAY and I wanted to share something new and fun I have been"cook'n up!

Most of you are familiar with the Jivaro shrunken head mugs I sculpted for Holden at Tiki Farm that are now available. They seem to be getting a really good response and I thank all who purchased one. While on the subject of shrunken heads I thought I would give a sneak peek at one of my projects. These are one of a kind, VERY REAL looking shrunken heads like those made by the Jivaro tribes in the Ecuador jungles. No two will be alike. I will hand make each one in the series. I am not certain how many will be available.

Below are a few pictures I took this morning of one in progress. Every detail is reproduced as if they were made by a true headhunter using only the resources of the jungle. Sinew (artificial) sews up the mouth and eyes. Beads are hand made to simulate natural clays of the rivers. Bee's wax and other bone like materials also used as beads. Feathers are naturally lost. I have attained a number of naturally lost feathers from Amazon Parrots as well for future heads. Hair is VERY real looking used for human hair extensions.

I sculpted this head originally in oil clay while studying many photos of actual shrunken heads. I produced a two piece mold of the original and can cast and vulcanize latex reproductions as seen in these pictures. I then seal the latex with acrylic polymer and about 10-15 transparent color glazes of flat acrylic to create a rich, realistic look of preserved human flesh. I have been told by people who bought them from me in the past that people looking at them are so convinced they are real they smell them to see if they detect any odor!!!

Anyway, stay tuned for these. I will sculpt two or three variations on the face features. Some real ones had larger or smaller features. Some will be sculpted to recieve wood or bamboo skewers rather than sinew in lips. Some will have lighter brown hair...others dark ebony hair. Beads and feathers will all vary but will all be VERY authentic. Head will be stuffed with synthetic stuffing but dried grass/moss will protrude from neck the way the real ones were done. They will be mounted on bamboo rods attached to ebony simulated bases.

Have a great weekend!! Hold on to your heads..or they be mine!!!!!

![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc23b3127cce81164146060c00000015108AcNWjdo0atu)  
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc23b3127cce81164143873900000015108AcNWjdo0atu)  
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc23b3127cce8116415a061000000015108AcNWjdo0atu)  
![](http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc23b3127cce8116415f872500000015108AcNWjdo0atu)

[ Edited by: THOR's  2007-02-07 04:17 ]

[ Edited by: Thor's  2007-02-22 11:13 ]
T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 3:52 PM

I could even see this being made for a line of dolls.

Congrats Thor, it seems like you really thought of everything. And looking forward to seeing those painting that you mentioned whenever you are able to post them.

Damn Thor! Just looking at the face is making my lips and eyes hurt. Amazing attention to detail.

V

That looks great!

Reminds me of my LA FX days when we had to make a bunch of shrunken heads for the movie Relic (a real stinker - but a fun project!). I molded 2 of Ms. VanTiki's wisdom teeth that she had pulled with the roots intact. Made a great accent on the threads that sewed up the heads. I kept telling her that her teeth would be famous - but she wasn't impressed :) We ended up using those teeth in a ton of films...

PS - years before the above project a good friend of mine was working on another film that needed a shrunken head (aptly titled "Shrunken Heads"). He got to visit Danny Elfman's house to see the real shrunken head he has and photograph it for reference!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 5:23 PM

Looks great! Love to get a couple and mount them either side of the front door with a "no salesmen" sign :)

Is there anything you can't make?

Incredibly Terrifyingly Shockingly Real!
ZOWIE!
Right on Thors!
Welcome to the Dark Side of Tiki!

VERY creepy and VERY cool!
Thor, you must be balancing out all the "nice" of the Disney project with a little "un-nice" fun!
They look great!

T
THOR's posted on Fri, Feb 2, 2007 6:41 PM

Well... I always say..unless you have a wee bit of darkness...you can never see the magic...of the fireworks!!

Hey there Ded1!!.. Aloha!! Yah..the lips sting!! Stay away from fresh limes and salt!

GREAT STORY Van Tiki!! Funny about the teeth!!!

HEY HEWEy!! How are ya BRA!!!

Lil' Lost tiki... I wrote the quote for you!!! I gotta feelin you know the dark side!! Haaaa

Tiki Shark!!! Get back to painting!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: THOR's 2007-02-02 19:42 ]

Very scary indeed. The skin looks so real!!!!

These are the best shrunken head things I've ever seen on TC. If the price is right, I would buy a few of these.

T

Thanks Tikiriffic.

I need to look at price a bit. These are pretty unique and handcrafted, so the price will reflect a more "museum quality" sort of product. I may be able to do some less labor intensive ones with a new material I am exploring where the cost is lower.

Glad you like em!! I will share the original sculpt on the next one soon!

~~ THOR

I never thought I'd say this about a reproduction of a skin being cut off of a skull, shrunk and hand modeled, but those are beautiful! Looks like the famous one in the museum, nice work!

T
THOR's posted on Sun, Feb 4, 2007 6:24 PM

HAaaa Thanks Sneaky!!! I guess there is beauty in the least likely of places...eh?? Have a great weekend!!

~~ THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2007-02-04 22:22 ]

S

Thor,Those are really cool they would look great in my backyard

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 4:16 AM

Here's the latest on these pups. I was excited about these and when I was done painting today at 5PM here I began a new sculpt.( my side project). I got so into it I just stopped...at 3AM and finished!! This is a sculpt done in a material called "super sculpey". It works well for things like this and can be hardened in an oven if desired. From here..(after sleep and my painting responsibilities) I will make a good quality plaster mold. Like a ceramic mug mold, this will allow latex to be filled and drained to coat the mold. It will be heat dried (vulcanized) to make a durable, hollow reproduction. I will carefully glaze with acrylic washes and sealers and accessories like this other one you see. More variations to be sculpted soon...some more characterized with bone in nose, skewers..etc. These will BLOW AWAY your guests at your exotica bars..GARANTEED!!!!

Mahalo!!! THOR

Thor, they are amazing. They jsut look so real.

Be sure to let us know when they're finished and ready for sale.

Mahalo

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 8:55 AM

You got it Kon-Hemsby!!

I am thinking of seveal versions that will be a range in price. There will be a very basic, simply adorned version and perhaps a very grand cerimonial version with more parrrot feathers and hand made beads. I will keep ya all posted...now I am back to painting!!

Mahalo!! THOR

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 2:12 PM

How about customised heads? Id love a shrunken head of my own head to freak people out! :) You could even do celebrity shrunken heads... hahahaha

T
THOR's posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 7:09 PM

HEY HEWEY!!!

Custom heads might be a bit pricey for some if I were to do that..considering the time it takes to sculpt an original and then make molds and casting..etc. I could do these full time they are so fun..but my Hawaii publishers would give up on me for sure!! Haa My painting schedule for this year is off the chart.

I have thought of doing a few celebs but was not sure which would fit the bill best. One I was dieing to do..because sewing his lips would be so much fun is Mick Jagger!! Also a classic English Explorer of some sort that was in the wrong place at the right time.

Great suggestions Hewey!! Hope all is well with you and your projects!!!

Is it sooooo wrong to be excited about these? I know I am...dang spooky Thor, me likey-lotZ :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

I love these, I cant wait!

T

Thanks tikiriffic and TravelingJones!!

I just got all my exotic parrot feathers I won on ebay!! These will add some really cool color and authentic detail to these heads!! I will try to get a few done in the next week or so when I take a breather from my painting responsibilities!!

Have a great week!!!

Those are insanely realistic. Better then the ones they used to sell at Ripley's Believe it or not!

..i think you should have modeled them after someone other than don rickles....

B

Excellent, Freeky lookin Stuff Thor. almost too real looking. I'd hate to wake up and see one of these guys, I'm not sure if I would shoot it and run or shoot it over and over,. Either way, I would Shoot it for sure!
I Likee.

T

HAAAAAAA I am CRAKIN UP TIPSEY!! The lense on the camera distorts the face a bit..and ..in this picture It DOES look like Don Rickles!!! HAaaaa Now if we could only shut up Don's mouth from all the insults as easily as a shrunken head!!! HAAA

I made a mold of the head and it's now cast and painted..looks really real! I can now make dozens of this one. I will sculpt another soon that will be even better based on more study of actual heads. I will bring some of these to upcoming shows we will be exhibiting in this year!

HI BENZ!!! I will make one for you to shoot!!! HAaaa Better yet, if you do a few "shooters" of 151..they talk to ya at midnight!!..or try to...the stiches get in the way a wee bit!!!

Aloha!! Thor

2/22/07 I have recieved a bunch of private messages asking for more info on price and latest photos. I took these this morning of the one I did and shared in the sculpey stage before casting and paint. See below!! Feathers are actual Amazon parrot. I do these late at night after my other work..not sure of prices..they will vary based on detail. I am terrible at remebering to sign in here and check private messages so it's better to post responses here!!!! Sorry for just getting back to some of you now.

Aloha!! THOR

[ Edited by: THOR's 2007-02-22 11:23 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's 2007-02-22 11:23 ]

[ Edited by: THOR's 2007-02-22 11:25 ]

T

Hey FreddieBallsomic!!

You wrote me as well in my personal messages!! Here are the pics!

~Thor

DANG Thor, does it mumble or grunt when you poke it with your finger? Does it smell like fried chicken? Is it squishy like dead puffer...?
-AND is it "food safe"? :lol:

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Those look, great, T!! Cant wait to get my hands on one. fB

T

K Freddie!! TravelinJones.... I think I need to make the beef jerky version for you..it will satisy all your senses!! LOL!

~~ Thor

That head is so creepy, but in a really good way! :D

Hey! I wish I had a shrunken Head like that! Maybe my brain wouldn't rattle around so much in one that size, ha, ha! There's a great Charles Addams cartoon I have somewhere, I'll have to see if I can dig it out. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Take care - Trader Jim (Make mine a MAI-TAI!).

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2007-02-24 14:41 ]

awesome! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these!

T

Tikiriffic..

I will have some available soon We plan to be at Hukilaua and a few other events this year... When I get an Idea of a base cost..I can always work with the person interested and do customs. Basic with beads though cerimonial fancy..etc. Glad you like!!

~~ THOR

Will you be at Tiki Oasis 7? I would love to have one of these they are very evil looking. :o

Any update on these yet Thor?

T

ALOHA!!

Shrunken heads are on the "back boiler" at the moment..I hope to have a few for Hukilau and more for Tiki Oasis!! I am painting like a mad fool keeping up with publisher demands in Hawaii... Hope to get back to the heads soon with prices for levels of ornamentation..etc.!!

~~ THOR

Pages: 1 36 replies