Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

AtomicTonyTiki's Artwork Thread - new stuff on page 7

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

Those are cool!

I finally got my last two mugs back from my ceramics course, what with the college being shut for the Easter holidays. So on my penultimate night at class I decided to quickly make some mugs so I would have something to glaze in my last week. What better mug to make than the two mugs I've coveted but never managed to get hold off.

I'm using a heavily grogged paper clay for speed of building, you really can slap this stuff together.

I really want a Tiki Bob, so when I started my Ersatz Bob I decided not to use any images as reference but to just use my memory and summon the element of the design into this form. I went for an O shaped mouth because of the more tribal appearance it gives, which is fitting with the almost cargo cult style of the mug.

My final mug was a rapidly knocked together thumb pot coconut bowl, as you can see is a cargo cult Trader Vic's aloha coconut mug.

This is them just from the kiln.

Because the clay fired a buff of white colour I was able to use just a clear transparent gloss for the interiors but on the exteriors I used wax resist and oxide glazes. The oxides leave a earthy matt glaze a bit like the finish on peanut mug, very fitting for the cargo cult theme.

I finally got the mugs back after the glaze firing on Thursday and stupidly had them in my bag when I went to the pub, and dropped my bag down a heard a nasty "crunk". Yup I'd managed to break the Cargo Cult Bob, knocked a segment of the top ring off or more exposed some sloppy workmanship on my part, I've glued it back together and I think its better to damage one yourself than loose one to the kiln.

T

Maybe the best Bob that I have ever seen. Your mug mug improved by like 300

Cheers I think the "God's of Cargo" have smiled on me when they guided my fingers in the creation of this one. Here's the final pictures of them out of the kiln with the wax burnt off.

Looks good Tony. At first I wasn't sure where you were going with the uneven edge on the coconut bowl, but now I see it! I bought some wax resist but haven't come up with a project to use it yet.

A tiny sneaky peeky of "The Pupule Putter" painting for the Hastings Puttiki Art Show..

....exciting you can follow the Paint blog of it HERE

A recent project using cardboard and glue..

first a plain old chunk of cardboard..

then a bit of rough assembly..

a bit more sketching..

a nose added using discarded packing inserts, perhaps that wide mouth look won't work?

Then a complete reworking with Dalek like balls on the headdress.

the undercoat of paper started..

all finished and ready for painting. Or would have if I hadn't decided to cover it with heavy parcel paper and then varnish it.

It turned out quite nice, although I'm seriously tempted to cover it in fibreglass and make it more durable.

Thanks to nationwide flooding here in Thailand, I've had a extra months holidays in which to do some painting.
So I thought I'd revisit my first Tiki Farm mug 'Captain Hold Fast'..

..it was fun coming back to the Captain, mostly as I could use the actual mug as a guide for the lighting on the face.

Following on from the Captain, I then started a painting of my 'Mana Mana' mug.

I tried to get back to the original design of the mug as a two chambered dry ice mug, with one tiki consuming the severed head of the other. I enjoyed doing the background as I tried to copy an existing Tapa cloth.

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies