Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

AtomicTonyTiki's Artwork Thread - new stuff on page 7

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

I have been doing some castings using plasticine, vinyl molding compound and plaster..

My "Wee Drunkin' Tiki" which i had in the London Luau Artshow..

I found a lovely piece of fake wood which i put a tiki on, then i covered it in the boiling vinyl, which melted the plastic and i was left with this rather deformed tiki casting..

and a bunch of Tiki's I had drawn in my sketchbook finally worked up into a full sized image.
Its great once you get out of the midwinter funk.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-04 06:19 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 15:06 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2010-11-19 23:15 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 01:06 ]

Nice work Tony. Love the painting.

That is a nice sketch/computer painting and I love the castings.

Love the sketch....very cool. :tiki:

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 6:05 AM

Cool pic and anything esle too. I was just thinking of a anchor on a tikis arm just a couple a days ago. Wheres the ship on his chest though

He hasn't sailed around Cape Horn obviously, just the Atlantic ocean.

Nice work Tony! i love the painting! The sides look like a Viking Ship! The castings look sweet too! Especially the melted one! He looks kind of screwey!!! And those button eyes crack me up!!! Way Cool!Keep up the great art!

So apart from knocking up a bunch of tiki mug designs for the TikiFarm competition, I've just spent the last couple of days creating this piece, "Captain Hold-Fast and his Steam Submarine".

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-09-14 07:40 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 15:09 ]

Nice job yet again matey! The rusty patched up subship U-14 is Classic! And the HOLD FAST on the green bloke's knuckles are spot-on!Love your feeble genius brain and all the ideas pouring out of it! Thanks so much for letting us get peeks at some of this great work! you got a website? Hope so! keep up the Excellent stuff! Do you always draw the blackline then color it in with computer? I say that because You NEED to be doing some big canvases with these guys on them! Bravo! thanks for making me grin like an art-infused idiot!

My first sea tiki picture fixed up and looking better.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2007-03-12 13:25 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-09-14 07:43 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 15:16 ]

H

I really dig those paintings. Are you using Photoshop, Illustrator, comibinations of different programs????

Well little lost tiki & surf-n-turf, what I do is doodle some ideas in my sketchbook, then when i have the concept, I draw the various components of the piece. On the tiki sub I drew the coning tower, the tiki man, and the various waves separately, then I scan them and take them to photoshop.
I then arrange them, resize, crop and remove any parts of the drawings i don't like. On the sub I grabbed lots of images of rust, cut them up and layered them to provide the texture. Finally I colour the image, adding shading, shadows and generally tidy up the image.

I'm planning on getting these images giclee printed on canvas as soon as I can find a cheap printer (or someone who'll do it trade price through my work)I think they'll look nice all printed up with nice frames.

Did that Submarine say "U-14" on it?.....meaning it's part of the Kriegsmarine? oh wow. The germans drafted Tikis now?? wow.

I was going to have a more stormy look to the picture because when i think about a submarine running on the surface, I think of Das Boot and them running the straits of Gilbralta in a storm. So I just added U-14 because 14 is my lucky number and I thought all subs have the preface U (although if my little brother the submariner heard that he'd probably give me hell).

Funnily I checked U14 and it did reconnaissance of Scapa Flow and Orkneys in September 1939, and I grew up on the shores of Scapa Flow.

Your little brother is the Submariner? Cool! I used to read about him and the Fantastic Four when i was a wee one! :)

C

"Captain Hold-Fast and his Steam Submarine" is very nice, I like the style, your first one too!

When i said I had been working on a bunch of designs for the TikiFram competition I wasn't joking, here is my entries..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 15:20 ]

Happy Cannibal is a Crack up!!!! Did you post these on the Mug Contest thread? These are too good and funny not to spread around!!! Keep up the great artwork!

Aye just popped them up on the thread.

My favorites are Cthulu and the Lono head mug.

I've been working on Cthulhu tiki themes for years, I think they cross over beautifully.

I can so imagine Don the Beachcomber fighting of cultist attempting to steal a cthulhu tiki from his bar or Steven Crane sacrificing Hollywood starlets to Yog Sothoth or the backyard Bacchanalia's of in-bred parrot-heads in the empty lots next to the car-park at a buffet concert.

I had a couple of sketches for ichor draped monolith mugs and a R'lyeh volcano bowl but trying to depict the unspeakable horror and Non-Euclidean geometry was giving me a headache.

C

Excellent work, all off them! I specially love Stumpy, Congrats!

Great work Tony. They are fantastic.

I really need a good camera and the ability to take good pictures, believe me when i say this new piece looks better in real life..

THE WEE DRUNKIN' HEADHUNTER

I've got another piece almost finished just waiting on some water slide transfer paper from eBay, I'll post it as soon as its finished (I've got in-progress pictures for it, exciting :) )

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-09-14 08:04 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 15:00 ]

Nice!
Besides Tikis and Mummies,I remember seeing and making dioramas as a kid!
You've brought the dream back Tony! Incredibly cool,foreboding,and funny at the same time! Genius!

One of our local home furnishing places Au Naturale has these shadow box frames for £3.00 so i might end up doing a few more of these dark little dioramas. I'm looking for something that will make a good cannibal cooking pot and then i can make THE WEE DRUNKIN' CANNIBAL.

T

There are some really good designs there for future mugs. I really like the two arm tiki and now, you really need them all done into mugs. They are all different, yet share similar style.

That Wee Drunken Head Hunter is demented! Brilliant! I can't believe you did that! Awesome!

Captain Hold-Fast! DIGGIT!

hey Atomic, I'd just like to say that you are the influence on one drawing i did today while sitting down and relaxing. More or less based off of your Captain Hold-Fast and his steam submarine piece. You can check it out in my "Art Hut"

Its nice to be a good influence for once, righty onwards with another set of castings, apologies for really bad camera phone pictures.

I started this piece to enter into the Amsterdam Tiki Show but due to a chronic case of RSI I totally failed to finish it on time. I had the idea to reuse the button eyed Tiki who's mold had turned out warped, so i took a copy of him, added the "wee drunkin' Tiki" and then made them a new friend..

Then I cut up the failed mold added some more gelfex, edged it in clay and then pored the boiling vinyl and awaited any giant bubbles that signify a major catastrophe in the casting..

Then a bit painting, couple of coats of varnish, a bit of my favorite bark-cloth shirt that had given up the ghost, a hacked burnt wood Spanish souviner prints frame and you have my new piece "Screwed, Stewed & Tattooed"

and here is a little close up of the tattooed figure..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:36 ]

The one on the left looks like a bearded civil war general.....but wearing underwear......great stuff!

Diggin the Big Ship Tattoo on the Right guy! Hilarious as usual! You make such great pieces!
Crack'n me up! :lol:

More art from the first sketch..

to the finished piece..

A choice of a rock or a hard place for Captain Hold Fast.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:42 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:44 ]

Now the London Luau is over here are nice scans of the finished "Drunkin Tikis".

"The Wee Drunkin' Headhunter" (now owned by Anji of CheekyTiki)

"The Wee Drunkin' Missionary" (also in the CheekyTiki collection)

"The Wee Drunkin' Cannibal" (which eventual found a home with Los Furias Tiki)

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2007-06-11 11:30 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-09-14 08:16 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:45 ]

K

These wee drunken fellas have personality plus. And they're funny too.

That drunken missionary is too damn funny! Really nice work.

All three of those (and seeing them together) are fabbo!These dioramas you've been doing are always a pleasure to gawk at! Keep it going,you got the fever! :)

Cheers thanks for all your support, I've got one more piece to make in the "Wee Drunkin' Tiki" line and then I'm melting down that mould.

TIKI KAIMUKI - Have you noticed how I've ground off the Tiki's offending genitals like the Victorian missionaries did.

On 2007-06-12 10:10, atomictonytiki wrote:
Cheers thanks for all your support, I've got one more piece to make in the "Wee Drunkin' Tiki" line and then I'm melting down that mould.

TIKI KAIMUKI - Have you noticed how I've ground off the Tiki's offending genitals like the Victorian missionaries did.

I absolutely love the 'Wee Drunken Missionary'! One of my favourite pieces at the LONDON LUAU Art show. I'll be in touch about a possible follow up to that piece to go in the POCKETIKI article. Great to meet you again over the weekend. Hope you had a safe trip back to Scotland.

Trader Jim - Make mine a righteous Mai-tai!

Check these artworks out at the London Luau website, finally someone has taken a good picture of them..

http://www.cheekytiki.com/thelondonluau/ATOMIC.htm

I'm must post more of my work soon but look at my lovely "captain hold-fast" mug that is coming soon from Tiki Farm.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-09-14 08:22 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:50 ]

I totally love the Captain Hold-Fast tiki mug.

The entire contest idea from Holden was really cool! This is easily my favorite mug from the contest.

I can't wait to add this to my collection. Great work!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 28, 2007 6:02 AM

SUPER nice mug, the gold tooth is wicked!

Hold Fast forever!

B

Excellent work.
And excellent work +1 for the mug.

Benjamin.

The Hold Fast mugs have just been used at Queen Kamehameha Pirate Party.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2007-10-12 12:54 ]

That mug is damn nice. Really one of the best things to come out of Tiki Farm in a while. Can't wait to get one!

Me too!

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies