Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

AtomicTonyTiki's Artwork Thread - new stuff on page 7

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies

I created a new tiki paper sculpture hard to tell from my photo but alot of detail and dimension. I hope everyone likes it. post an opinion please i'm not that angry.

Just a new piece of art i worked up from my sketchbook, while i wait on some modeling supplies to be delivered.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-09-14 07:44 ]

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:52 ]

Very cool Mug!!! I just ordered mine a few days ago....cant wait to see it. Its gonna look great in my collection. Very nice artwork.....you have a very unique style...keep it up!!

I got my mug today....Very Cool, a great addition to my collection!!!! Thanks

Hey Johann....I got the tag for Captain Hold Fast yesterday......Thanks so much....This is very cool and a great compliment to the mug....let me know if I can do anything for you in the future....Thanks again...Wess

Cool it finally got there, glad you liked it.

If anyone else wants a hand drawn atomictonytiki signature tag to hang on their Captain Hold Fast mug, then drop me a PM before the 1st of March 2008.

T
V

Yes, there is a resemblance.

That's all the pictures back up, I don't know whether that patch is a direct rip-off are is there only so many ways you can design a pirate tiki.

Anyway here is a sneak peek at the new purple glaze for Captain Hold Fast..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:54 ]

Some painting practice, the first painting I've done in years, well a part from the the two coats of gloss type of painting. I found some great glitter paint in my wife's painting box, i wish it came out better in photos.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:56 ]

The glitter really rocks!

Cheers Rob, its my wife's fault she always thinks art looks better with glitter, anyways here's another painting I've knocked out..

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:57 ]

So I have done another painting, a lovely big one this time, I'm really enjoying painting again. I've blogged the creation of the picture HERE.

**To Murder a Menehune **

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 00:58 ]

A few more painting I have finished, first this three headed Maori monster painting..

and my contribution to the "Call of Cthulhula" that swept the UK tiki artists last week.

The Call of Cthul-HULA

and as before I've paint-blogged their creation HERE.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2011-11-22 01:01 ]

Those evil cultists sure know how to party! Awesome paintings, they "almost" look like 'puterized compositions... if I take my glasses off and squint a lot. Great detail.

H

NEATO!

On 2008-11-24 08:03, TikiMango wrote:
they "almost" look like 'puterized compositions...

I think that's because I've spent years using the computer to make images, I created the central figure in the latter picture on the computer and then traced it across using grids..

...and then I ruthlessly plundered The Book of the Tiki for the background, the painting worked out well for just practicing different painting styles.

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-01-21 01:47 ]

oops double post

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-11-29 14:08 ]

Well Pirates are on the rise again in Somalia and at Tiki Farm as Captain Hold Fast returns once more but this time in a piratical purple glaze...

http://www.atomictonytiki.com

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2008-11-29 14:13 ]

I'm with Howland: neato!

Ah but Robb you do the cultists so much better in this painting..

My wee brother gave me one of those Munny to paint, he said "make it tiki" and I did.
The big tooth around its neck is a dog tooth i found in fiji.

T

Great work and I love your blog with the step by step progress of your pieces. It's amazing how you start something that looks almost like a pumpkin and then turn it into a Menehune. :lol: :lol:

Love all of your work!

Cheers!!

I've been working on a bunch of secret non-tiki pieces for the families Christmas presents which I'll get to post up after the big day.

Doing my bit of Savage Renewal by relinking all the pictures I've ever posted (thankfully excessive posting has never been a trait of mine) and thought I'd post some of those bits of my artwork that have faded into the mists of time..

Some of my earliest plaster tiki heads - Tiki Head Bas-Relief type fun..

Experimental velvet paintings - 'avin a go at velvet painting

[ Edited by: atomictonytiki 2009-05-06 14:58 ]

Last Thursday I had my first ceramics class and started slab building my first handmade tiki mug unfortunately I got carried away and forgot to take a final picture of it before I went home..

and today I started work on a new bas relief plaque to fit in some circular frames I found in a charity store. I finished casting the mold today and will be making the casts later in the week.

Great plaque there ATT!
Wish you were here in the States with us
Hangin at one of Babalu's ClayJams!

that mug's looking pretty sweet so far!

B

all looking good ATT!!!!

Great to see a a kindred schizophrenic artist!!!

alohas, bT

Cheers chaps!

My one man clay jam continues, I finished the mug I started last week, but it still has to be fired and then I get to explore the world of glazes.

and I started another one, can you tell what it is yet?

and that's all I completed in the three hours of my class, its just not enough time.

B

Very nice Tony! I really like the patterning on that one. Man you on a clay roll...you're gonna get hooked :)

Another ceramics class and this time I finished the mug I started last week. My idea was to rift on the three faced bucket mug, so I created three adjoining snarling mouths and added the faces. I'll be adding more details on the faces next week once its gone a touch more hard.

GT

Very Cool Tony, I like them all!

C

Me too! Specially the first one! Can't wait to see the glaze

That's my first mug fired and now on with the long process of glazing, i have my eye on some crystal glazes in the ceramics cupboard.

after I got the first layers of glaze on, I started another mug..

..I'm quite into the conjoined face on my mugs at the moment. More to do next week, so I wetted it down before wrapping it to put it in the damp cupboard for next time, then I dropped it so quite a bit of repair will have to be done before i continue.

Wow, ATT, those are great! I'm new to TC and have really enjoyed these "works in progress" threads. I am a beginner potter and it is very useful and so inspiring (not to mention humbling)to see the "process" of all this fantastic tiki ceramic work here...yours included!

I don't want to take up space on your thread for my questions, but I do have several for any and all of you more experienced and super-talented makers of tiki. Is there a specific thread where us newbies can post questions?

As for your latest slab made tiki mugs, did you make them by adding clay pieces to a slab cylinder or did you leave thickness from which to carve the shapes? I would love to try a handmade mug in my pottery class, I just don't know where to begin.

Again, such cool stuff, thanks for sharing. Also, I see LLT on this thread, I am a huge fan! love your work, so detailed and vivid (oh sorry had to do that shout out!)
Mahalo!!

Slabs of clay onto a length of two inch pipe wrapped in paper to ease removal of the pipe.

Finished another mug this week, currently I have one in the glazing stage, another about to fired and this new one drying, with only five weeks left on my course hopefully I'll have them finished before it ends.

as you can see this mug is based on my Cthulhu Tiki mug design, I've spotted this lovely metallic glaze that will hopefully give this mug the other-worldly quality it deserves.

Another plaster 3D piece finished..

..and I repaired my favorite hula shirt, what a pro-active day.

My other three mugs are having their glazes fired and should be ready this week, so they should be finally finished. There was bits I really liked about my third mug and fancied taking further, so using photos of it I mocked up a sketch of how the next one should look.

As you can see its turned out quite like it, I used paper-clay on this one and found that once you got used to it that its fantastic stuff, its really forgiving and I don't think I'll go back to using any other clay for building mugs.

I got my finished glazed mugs back, this is the glazed Cthulhu mug and it came out patchy with unglazed bits and the emerald green highlights weren't strong enough.

so I had to add some more glaze to it and we'll see how it comes out after a second firing. The mug to the right is the paper clay Moai I made last week, its been given an undercoat of black glaze which I rubbed back and then a coat of opaque green, fingers crossed on that.

Finally I have some finished mugs, the first one is a whopper, probably better to store straws in than drink from. The red of the terracotta clay effects the glaze on top, it alters the colour like a was of red.

Where as on the three faced mug I used the redness of the clay to my advantage, I gave it a coat of black glaze and rubbed that back so it only remained in the cracks. Then I gave it two coats of transparent gloss, which have come out like the sugar on a toffee apple.

Nice job - the red faced fella works really well.

What about the HP Mugcraft one? Show the class.

You'll have to wait until Thursday, that is as long as it survives the second firing.

Love the red clay 3-faced guy. Did you say you did green opaque over black underglaze on the one mug? If so, the opaque green will cover up the black and you won't see it. You need to use a transparent green for that technique to work. After it's fired, you might brush some black in the creases and wipe off the excess, then fire it again.

I'm saying opaque but I think I mean transparent, my tutor and I picked a glaze that would allow the black to come through but also be coloured by the over glaze green.

One thing I've learnt from doing a ceramics course is that making mugs is easy but Glazing is an art, a science and a lottery.

On 2009-03-17 13:52, atomictonytiki wrote:
One thing I've learnt from doing a ceramics course is that making mugs is easy but Glazing is an art, a science and a lottery.

Isn't that the truth! I've been doing it for about a year and I haven't even come close to getting it right.

So another two mugs out of the kiln, the Cthulhu mug Prototype is finished now, this is its second glaze firing, the first time there wasn't enough of the top glaze showing, so I slapped another lot on and its come out better.

The second mug out is my Moai, I was right the green glaze was Opaque and not transparent, so it hasn't worked as I thought, the glaze is a bit blobby and patchy but hey its a learning experience.

It is my last ceramics class on Thursday but luckily I finished two mugs last week so I can spend my time glazing them up, that is as long as they survive being fired.

Hey these came out great.

The course you did seems like a cool way to cut your teeth on the whole process, plus getting some top advise along the way.

Loving the lovecraft mug - going to do more to sell??????

Now that your class is done you can RUN FREE!!! No more restrictions!!!

Lookin' good!

Pages: 1 2 3 104 replies