Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

tiki/polynesian tattoos!!!!

Pages: 1 2 67 replies

some of these are in progress, some are not! tattooing's my dayjob, so any chance i get to tikify, i pounce! wish i had more pics.

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-08-03 20:11 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-08-08 20:04 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-09-05 07:02 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-10-11 17:11 ]

[ Edited by: greentikipat 2007-11-11 21:08 ]

Beautiful work Greentiki. I especially like the heavy carved wooden tikis/totems & the greenstone Maori hei-tiki - very cool.

Thanks for sharing those. Keep us posted of any more lucky tiki-recipients!

Tama :)

That tiki 3 down from the top looks like a mesoamerican "earth monster" from Mexico, nice to see "her" with a Marq and a NZ tiki flanking the piece, the naked chick helps too, HA! Nice tats all 'round.

wow, they are some of the best tiki tattoos I have seen.

Fantastic work.

I can't wait to see the tattoo thats just outlines finished, its got a great sense of fun about it.
But what F---ing lovely tattoos, you can tell by the design that you really like and understand the nature of tikis.

thanks guys for all the great words.
Tamma-thanks a lot! coming from someone in Aotearoa, your comps on maori work are recieved very well. sorry to be so direct, though not wanting to assume, are you of Maori decent yourself? your stonework (along with others) has been inspiring me to get some new tips for my dremmel and start exploring.
Sneaky and Atomic- thanks much. that client is a big vegas buff, so i wanted his piece to have a 'show' quality to it. and i figured mixing tiki with cthulu would work just fine. they're both oceanic right? throw in some good show music and some pasty-dancing girls, and we've got a real scrifice! we work on that piece again this saturday. i'll post some more pics of it next week.
Kon Hemsby- thank you! i appreciate your supportive words.

On 2007-02-07 11:39, greentikipat wrote:
thanks guys for all the great words.
Tamma-thanks a lot! coming from someone in Aotearoa, your comps on maori work are recieved very well. sorry to be so direct, though not wanting to assume, are you of Maori decent yourself? your stonework (along with others) has been inspiring me to get some new tips for my dremmel and start exploring.

Kia ora GreentikiPat

Credit where credit is due! As Kon-Hemsby says above; these are some of the best tiki-tats Ive ever seen too. I dont suppose you have any needles that will reach this far do you? :lol: Id be coming for a visit if I lived any closer (after 10 years I finally showed my mother the Mona Lisa that graces my shoulder, opening the way for MORE...)

Just a 16th-part Maori (but pretty well versed in the Hei-tiki; you have done it proud. I like the originality too. The way you have placed the arms gives a nice feminine feel.

Im sure the change from tattoo gun to Dremmel shouldnt be too difficult for you; just 'shaping' instead of 'shading' those forms. *Remember to pick up the right tool when youve got a punter sitting in your chair though! :wink:

Tama, man- awesome. thank you. wish i could get out there for a guest spot at a local shop. so much to learn.
all those tikis in your thread are incredable. can i start practicing with most any stone?

T

Awesome Job greentikipat. The first and second picts are my favorites.

On 2007-02-08 19:16, greentikipat wrote:
can i start practicing with most any stone?

Hey GTP. Have a flick through the 'Stone Carving, Q&A' over in Tiki Carving as well as Paipo's thread (Wicked stuff; highly Tat-worthy though you should probably ask first :wink: ). Pretty much any stone has the ability for something. Softer/crumblier stones best perhaps for larger sculptural work, but harder/finer grained stones can be worked surprisingly fine & small. Nephrite jade/greenstone/pounamu is obviously my recommendation, very strong & scratch-resistant, due to its grain & hardness respectively.

Just have a go with whatever you can lay your hands on; you'll soon discover whether or not its worth pursuing (then try jade :D )

Please show us your results over in Stone Q&A. Im sure a talented hand like yours would produce great work!

Those are beautiful...great colors. You are lOOOOOking good!!! :tiki:

thanks guys!
Tama, i got some small pieces from a friend today. a small, flat cutting of jade,a nugget of green turquoise and a nugget of a creamy white stone.(i forget what kind) but i think i'll start whith some river rock from the backyard. just need some tips for the dremmel. i will post something after i've gotten underway.
Tahitiki, thanks a lot. that 1st one's one of my favorites. it's been hard getting her back in for the next session though. one of these days.
VampTiki- thank you soooo much.
i may have some pics up end of week of a tiki sleeve i started a couple years ago. the saturday session was re-scheduled, so hopefully soon on that as well.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 11, 2007 5:56 PM

As folks have said, some very nice tatts there :) Welcome to TC mate

right-on and thanks hewey. awesome to have found such a cool and creative group.
i've had another session on the sacrifice/showgirls piece, but the photos came out horrible. hopefully get some more this weekend. untill then, here's a sketch for a forearm. probably to start next week.

Wow, great artwork. Looks like I better get me a ticket to Florida

aloha all- here are some new progress shots of recent sessions. this first one is hawaiian on top, with marquesian below used for extensive cover-up. unfortunatly, he moved out west to finish school.

he was in the middle of healing, so looks a bit rough. last chance i had for any pics, though.
this next one is after our 3rd session. after he got the arm panel, which was a design he brought in, he decided to get the rest. from there on, i've re-designed the chest and shoulder blade panels. we'll also be adding thin sections to the front and back of the bicep areas,to balance out the whole.

well, there we are for now. thanks for looking.

Aloha Pat,

Nice tattoo work, carvings and other stuff!. Where've you been hiding? Guess I missed it! Shooting you a PM.

Cheers,

A-A

Have you got anymore progress pictures on this tattoo?

Nice work GreenTiki! The line work on the chest/shoulder/back piece is beautiful.
Is is just a random design or is there specific meaning behind it?
Can't wait to see more!
Aloha,
:tiki:

the PAIN! Yikes! I have tattoos on my forearms and shoulder and that was fairly painful, well a good kind of pain. But to do a chest full of tiki, the length of time under the needles! Yowzer!

thanks a lot, Aaron. hope my pm helped out a bit.
Atomic,- man, this guy has had to wait a long time for more work. we did get in a session of shading and some color, but the pics were all out of focus, so i haven't used them. i hope there's more soon, i'm chompin at the bit on this one. i'll post as soon as they're available.
Tikiroyal- thanks very much. aside from the collector's love of surfing, the ocean, and oceanic art, there's not much specific meaning. just a couple of white guys in florida who have a great appreciation for Maori art.
HawaiianSnowball- yea, that's some sensitive spots, for shure. this guy usually just watches movies and listens to music on his ipod thing. but there were a few spots on top of the shoulder and collar bone that got his attention!
thanks to all for your interest and kind words. mahalo!

aloha all- here's some more on this moari piece, chest panel almost done.

pretty cool, huh? i've started a new comic styled piece; headhunter girl w/tiki on a forearm. failed to get pics, but i'll remedy that real soon. thanks for lookin,-cheers!

and here they are!!new sleeve started-will have to deal with a cover up on the shoulder. but one piece of limb at a time! hope you all enjoy!

there's the start, then there's this:

and this is his other arm, started a couple of years ago. actually about three.

we'll get back to that soon with a live birdman in the mix.
next i have some old pics i've decided to post due to the long wait. AtomicTonyTiki, here you go;-and thanks for the inquiries--mahalo!

and last but not least, a pleasant walk-in customer yesterday:

hope all enjoy!! thanks for looking! mahalo all!!!

Holy crap! Those are most excellent tats!

thanks suburban! more to come!

G.T.P- Very cool!!! I might have to make a trip down to Florida one day!

Craig

craig- thanks very much! come on down anytime, -plenty to do, and i'll give you a great deal on your tattoo.

B

Wow, I sure do wish you lived closer to me!!! Really nice artwork there.

Fantastic work.

And having to live with those sort of walk ins must be a real chore!

Blowfish, thanks a lot. yea, that kind of distance can be tough!
Thanks much Kon-Hemsby; yes, one of the many burdens in this business!
Mahalo,guys!

Looking good...I too wish you were in California. I am going to try to go to a tattoo convention in Santa Rosa, Ca at the end of February....anyone interested in going?

aloha good people!
here are some new pics from recent.
the first is a cover-up executed in about 16hrs over 3 days. (in a row.) one tough customer. i decided at the beginning to incorperate the haida-type imagery, as it would not cover well, and well, it's pacific rim. -so why not? most was designed on paper, some drawn on, and the surfing tikis at bottom were re-designed from existing tattoos he brought in.

before....

after!

sorry there's no close up of the bottom...battery died.

and here's some new progress on this one today.

more tatau in a few days! Mahalo!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 6:46 PM

Just awesome. Wow...you did an incredible job incorporating the old piece, and all that flawless symmetry..ay-yi-yi! I have enough trouble just getting two eyes to line up!
I'll be adding a trip to your studio to my Florida visit when it happens!

T

Those are nice tiki tat's.I love them all.

aloha, Vampiress- sorry i failed to acknowledge you before, how rude of me! thank-you for the comps; and i wish you were here in st. pete to get tattooed!
Mr.Paipo- thanks very much-symmetry can be a real bitch on a piece like that. all inconsistencies aside, it turned out rather well. a trip to fl? i would give you mighty discount for traveling so far!
Tiki Lee-thanks a lot!
i forgot to shoot today's progress on the Maori-styled chest/shoulder/back piece, but will get it up asap. Mahalo all for looking!!

aloha all! been taking a break for awhile. here are some pics of a new one. three sessions in one week! i don't know where these people come from, but i'm glad they come to me! he had the two cobwebs on the shoulders, and the kinda abstract piece on his sternum. the face will become a tangaroa with red beard, and the shoulders will be cocktail umbrellas. as you can see, the overall theme is celtic mixed with polynesian. some others gave him shit, but i thought it was a well balanced, quite original idea.(as far as modern tattoos go. although i did have one guy who was starting to COVER a lot of irish/celtic work with polynesian tatau.)
please enjoy!

i'm working on the forearm cannibal girls tomorrow; i'll try and post them tomorrow night.
mahalo for looking! hope all of you are well! cheers!

Looking cool Pat! I can't wait to see how you do the cover-ups!

Craig

I just stumbled on this thread....the tattoos are freakin' awesome.

I have been thinking about something tiki-ish for my next tattoo and have even gone into a few places here in NYC, but I just can't find someone who "gets it".

Obviously there are lots of great artists in New York who could copy a picture or drawing, but I don't think they would add the flourishes that you put in your stuff.

Also it would be good to talk to someone, since I kinda know what I want but do not have an exact idea of how to make it look. Something similar to the stuff here with some combination of moai, wahines, headhunters, etc., or maybe not all of the above if too busy...see I need an expert.

BTW - love the tat with the leprechaun holding a tiki mug and the wahine playing the bagpipes...

Joe

Mahalo Craig! yes, those cover ups should be interesting. we'll see.
hey Joe- thanks a lot! finding the right tattooist can be difficult.feel free to pm me with any questions- i'll always do what i can from here. good luck and happy hunting.
so here are some shots of this mornings work. enjoy!

Damn that looks good, Pat!

WOW! Those forearm shots of this mornings work are unbelievable. They look great... I am soo jealous! Wow!

Mines a little commercial but I like it!

WOW! Really nice TATS! Okay, all thoses folks who keep contacting me on MY SPACE wanting tattoos, I'm gonna send to you!

That Back piece is freaking flawless. Amazing!

LOVE DEM TATS!

hey there, 4WD- mahalo very much.
jpmartdog- right on-thank you. how far's Amesbury from Lowell? i'll be up there a day or two around the 15th of Nov., tattooing. can probably fit in another appt. if you're interested. i'll also be working a day in Portsmouth and one in Nashua, NH. don't know what days yet, but will be nailing them down real soon. couple a'opportunities if ya like!
Aloha Hinano Paul- the opposing figures are a fresh addition to the turtle motif- thanks for showing. maybe this thread should be turned into a polynesian tattoo thread for all to post on. what do you guys think? is there one yet?
Brad- thanks a lot! any interested parties pointed in this direction will always be greatly appreciated! and mucha mahalo for all the excitement in your words.
Aloha All!!

GTP - holy crap - what an opportunity - I am very close to Portsmouth, if there is any way you could fit me in for a tiki/wahine creation on my left shoulder ... i'd be stoked! I will pm you for more details and arrangements! This is unbelievable! are you working out of Hobo's tatoo in portsmouth?
Been hanging around Tattoo America in Salisbury Mass the last couple of weeks, trying to put together a design... but def want to wait till the 15th, for you!

Aloha all,

I'm new here but have been lurking for a bit. Cool site BTW. I wanted to post my new Tiki Tat along with my introduction.

TT

Here's some bits n pieces of tiki ink i have had done...
Cheers!

hey Averaged Sized Kahuna- nice piece! great use of colored lighting, composition, and negative space banana/palm fronds to frame out the top. cool use of elements, too. he's kick-ass! and looks ready to do so, too! thanks for posting.
first rule of this thread: please include the name of the artist and shop.
Tiki Trav- right on, man! working on almost two half-sleeves there. very cool mix of styles on the leg, and not afraid to throw in some floral space, too! that Ku's got a great position on the shin. what happened to the small one's mouth? maybe next session? cheers, mate! thanks for posting here.
this could turn out to be a great thread here at TC. all who have tiki ink of any kind please feel free to post! mahalo guys!!

Pages: 1 2 67 replies