Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Do you still buy CD's or just download ?

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

K

It takes me quite a while to catch up wit the technology. I've just recently gotten used to the idea of downloading mps or whatever onto a computer & NEVER having either the LP or the CD. Whatever is the easiest & most logical with prevail with most folks.

I very enjoyed the ease of burning a CD into a computer/ipod, etc..and still having some artwork, liner notes, etc.

But I must say I am a romantic at heart, and I love my vinyl LPS...nowadays, I generally digitalize them so I'm not wearing them out, however, I still love looking at them, holding them, and reading the notes & loving the artwork. And I would say, it's maybe 50% about the music and 50% about the nostalgia...I actually LOVE the snap, crackle & pop..I never try to remove it when I'm recording my LPS. THe beautiful sound of the needle hitting vinyl just somehow takes me back to a more innocent time. A few scratches or skips just show that this LP was actually played & loved by someone. (Or perhaps left under the couch and scratched by the cat..I don't know). In addition to the music, each record has it's own story of it's own travels. A download simply doesn't have that feeling.

Having said that, OF COURSE, I would expect any professional djs, audiophiles, etc etc to must the latest technology.

I wonder why music artists don't release more on usb with a booklet, or as downloads with a booklet available as an extra. Seems like you'd get the best of both then. The people who only want to listen would just get the tracks, and those who want the photos, artwork, background info get something to hold and keep.

For the upcoming Hula Girls record, I considered USB drvies, but I thought it might be too foreign of a medium for most of the tiki crowd. But we ARE going to do download cards with the vinyl albums that we release. You go to a web site, punch in the code on the card, and the tracks and art download to you computer. Easy.
CDs are coasters for me, once I've got the music on my computer... We ARE going to do CDs too though.

Be the first on your block to own the Hula Girls album. It'll be released at Tiki Oasis 10!

I don't own an iPod. I have friends and relatives who swear by them, but I don't like the compressed sound. I buy CDs and own thousands of of them -- see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2303138830/ And that includes the Tikiyaki Orchestra CDs. On my radio show I use the sound of crashing waves on Track 13 of Stereoexotique playing behind me while I talk on the air.

I am buying music CDs over the Internet from Amazon and specialized sites like Cord Records, but it breaks my heart that stores selling CDs have dwindled in number. However, in my trips around the country I have found a few stores that sell mostly used CDs and have made some wonderful discoveries that way in places like Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Berkeley (Amoeba and Rasputin are the biggest stores I've found and they are located only a block apart from each other).

BTW, the wooden cabinets in this picture hold my LP collection, which I haven't added to in years (note the framed Exotica LP covers on the left-hand wall): http://www.flickr.com/photos/drzarkov/2303115352/

Wow....
Great reading this thread after 3 years ! If it was not for this thread, there may never have been the Tikiyaki Orchestra that exists today. Pretty cool.
I can definitely say that it was Chongolio's post that influenced my decision to make the CD and continue on with the packaging ideas the T.O. has done.
So, randy, if you're reading TC still...THANX !!!!
And thanx to everyone else who chimed in and helped me make my decision.

I tell ya, I grew up with 8-tracks, LPs and cassettes, and I don't miss them a bit!!! ESPECIALLY LPs! All the pre- and post-playing maintenance that had to be done to get a whole 17-minutes of music before you had to get up and turn the thing over. And scratches and dust! And all the formats were helpless before the Florida sun, saltwater and beach sand.

The fact that my entire library of 10K+ tracks is on an external drive the size of a paperpack novel -- awesome. The ability to stream that entire library (as well as any online music service) to any room of the house - awesome. Being able to back up that entire library (see Florida environment above) - awesome. That I can stream that entire library (as well as any online music service) to any room of the house - awesome. That I can bring a year's worth of tunes into my car or boat with a device smaller than a deck of cards - awesome. That you can improve the music at any party with a quick trip to the car - awesome. Playlists - infinitely awesome.

The idea of a USB multimedia release is interesting. My wife is a reporter and she gets many of her press releases that way. I can see how it would be easier to produce on your end. I would have no problem buying music that way, but I think many people are still looking for something more "substantial" when they buy a physical "album". And many of the people who are interested in the cover art and all that definitely want something they can add to their collection. Its kind of hard to order and re-order a USB fob collection.

And kind of on the same subject, remember in the "old days" when the "record collection" was a part of every young person's personal space? Remember checking out their record collection and pscyho-analyzing them from its contents?

On 2007-02-12 08:45, tikiyaki wrote:

As far as 24 bit mp3's are concerned...very interesting point, but isn't there still file compression when making the mp3 ?

I, too, prefer CDs. The art and liner notes are a part of the package and experience of the music. And print-it-yourself inkjet / laser equivalents just don't cut the mustard. Neither do CDs-on-demand.

But, to answer your question: Yes. My sister has a master's degree in Sound Design (i.e. audio engineering). According to her, the big thing with downloadable files is the bit rate (kbps) in which the music file is encoded. Digital audio files do not encode a complete audio signal but rather take samples (measured in kilobytes-per-second or "kbps") from the signal and use mathematical algorithms to fill in the data gaps between samples. The more samples there are, the fewer data errors occur when playing back the file; Fewer errors mean greater fidelity to the original signal.

Bit rate is determined by the audio guys who work with the original signal and has nothing to do with file formats or playback capabilities. Bit rate in a file, once determined, is pretty much fixed and beyond the control of the consumer. A consumer can't add true data from the missing samples, only allow his playback software to extrapolate it.

In short, the greater the number of samples (a higher bit rate) in a file means better sounding music. Unfortunately, a greater number of samples also means a larger file. Even more unfortunate is that most online music stores encode files at a lower bit rate (128kbps to 192kbps) in order to make downloads faster and, thus, cheaper to deliver. (Near-CD quality is 320kbps or better). This is why music from most consumer download sources sound worse than CDs.

And this is why I prefer buying CDs to buying file downloads.

Some download services allow you to purchase CD-quality (or higher) downloads. I import them into MP3 format for use on my portable devices, but the base music server still broadcasts the higher quality versions.

Many online music services also stream CD-quality music.

I am so glad that you did the CD, your packaging was awesome...kinda like the memorable LP covers back in the day. I still think about LZ's Houses of the Holy (pull out windows) and the RS's Sticky Fingers (zipper)...your umbrella is right up there with those!!! Funny to read this old thread. I am still buying CDs of my favorites (Amazon.com) but also download (iTunes).

On 2010-07-02 09:52, TikiHardBop wrote:
Some download services allow you to purchase CD-quality (or higher) downloads. I import them into MP3 format for use on my portable devices, but the base music server still broadcasts the higher quality versions.

Many online music services also stream CD-quality music.

I didn't say it was impossible to have CD-quality in downloadables. It is. The free online compilation album Hymns From The House of Horror is encoded at 320kbps. It's a 150MB download and as a result would be approximately three times more expensive in downloading expenses if it were offered for sale on the most popular downloading service.

It's just more cost-effective to sell downloadables in 128kbps or 192kbps. Since most people listen to their music on crappy earbuds anyway, they don't notice the difference in sound quality or don't care. Since people are buying them as they are, there's no real reason for a business to increase its expenses.

On 2010-07-02 19:06, VampiressRN wrote:
I am so glad that you did the CD, your packaging was awesome...kinda like the memorable LP covers back in the day. I still think about LZ's Houses of the Holy (pull out windows) and the RS's Sticky Fingers (zipper)...your umbrella is right up there with those!!! Funny to read this old thread. I am still buying CDs of my favorites (Amazon.com) but also download (iTunes).

I'll have to admit: The great artwork on your CD covers was a selling point for me when I bought 'em recently. Again, it's not just the music for me. It's the whole package: music, liner notes, artwork, non-volatile storage format, and better sound quality. Make mine CDs please.

O

I mentioned in a separate thread that I was happy, yet somewhat frustrated, that Capitol is releasing a bunch of Les Baxter albums as downloads only (i.e. no CDs). The transfers sound great for downloads and I can only imagine what real CDs would sound like.

I prefer an actual album but a CD will do, I've never downloaded any music . seems like a hollow affair to me, I want so much more with my music , a tangible expeireince to go with the sounds, liner notes and good artwork and pictures. Plus the music room lined with everything from reel to reels, 8 tracks, records and cd's, and all the vintage equipment to play it on, in my opinion completes the ambience.... if ya know what I mean.

downloads, meh...... not so much but Im old school like that anywayz
s

Pages: 1 2 60 replies