Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Classic Cartoons

Pages: 1 42 replies

What's everyone's favorite classic cartoons? I'm partial to Secret Squirrel myself:)

Favorite Classic Cartoon?
"COBWEB HOTEL"
It's an old Max Fleischer one! Pretty grim and scary!
As for shows....
Herculoids
Atom Ant
Hair Bear Bunch
and I hated Jabberjaw and Speed Buggy-worse than Muppet Babies!
Great topic by the way! :)

Off the top of my cartoon junkie head...
Mighty Mouse
Speed Racer
Clutch Cargo
Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse
Gigantor
All Max Fleischer
...then there is one I vaguely remember that spoofs all the movie stars from the 40's/50's, not sure if it was Warner Bros, but it rocks!
:D
K.

On 2007-02-20 12:21, little lost tiki wrote:
Favorite Classic Cartoon?
"COBWEB HOTEL"
It's an old Max Fleischer one! Pretty grim and scary!
As for shows....
Herculoids
Atom Ant
Hair Bear Bunch
and I hated Jabberjaw and Speed Buggy-worse than Muppet Babies!
Great topic by the way! :)

I have "Cobweb Hotel" on VHS on one of those "8 Hours of Klassic Kartoons" collections.

I love all of those old Fleischer Studios 'toons, my Gran'Daughter makes me play the Betty Boop version of "Cinderella" over & over & over, and I have a 4 disk Popeye collection that includes some of the greatest cartoons of the '30s: "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor," "Popeye the Sailor Meets Ali Baba's Forty Thieves," & "Aladdin and His Wonderful Lamp." Jack Mercer's rambling, mumbling delivery as Popeye, the wiggly animation style, the surreal storylines, the use of carved clay backgrounds/foregrounds & rotoscoping, the sly humor, all make me wish the Fleischers hadn't been forced to imitate Disney's style & been handcuffed in their story writing by the Hayes Code. Gulliver's Travels, Mr. Bug Goes to Town, and the Superman shorts were all good, just not as cool or as individualistic as the older material.

Also great for surreal cartoon comedy are the original Felix the Cat silents & the late '90s "Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat" TV series.

Tons of '50s-'60s Anime: "Kimba,""Speed Racer," "Gigantor,""Astro Boy," "Alakazam."

Does anyone else remember "Colonel Bleep"? or "Tom Terrific"?

K

Tom Terrific...loved that one too!!!
this is a great topic, I haven't thought about alot of these in years.
thanks!
:drink:
K.

OK... How many of you remember Here Comes The Grump. For the longest time people thought I was crazy because nobody and I mean NOBODY knew what I was talkin' about when I mentioned this cartoon. I began to think it was a figment of my imagination. Apparently, there were only a few episodes made and when they aired the time slot changed a few times making it a very obscure cartoon.

Johnny Quest is one of my all time favorites and so are The Arabian Knights, The new adventures of Huck Finn (which was the precursor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit using live actors in intermixed with animated backgrounds and characters), and The Three Musketeers. These were all mini cartoons in The Banana Splits Show. I also liked Tom Slick, George of the Jungle and Super Chicken. Herculoids were cool and the Wacky Races too. We had a cat named after Kimba the White Lion.

I recently watched The Gigantor and Speed Racer series which I got via Netflix.

I have a collection of some of the old cartoons and other Saturday morning goodness at my Youtube group Cartoon Craziness.

Can you tell I LOVE this stuff? Good Stuff Maynard,

Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

G
gonzo posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 8:13 PM

Ahem

Roger Ramjet.

They used to play these on the Filipino TV station when I lived in Angeles city . I understand that Roger popping a Proton Energy pill (giving Roger the power of 20 atom bombs in ten seconds)caused quite a few kiddie overdoses so I never saw these in the US

Squiddly Diddly is great too. I got Boomarang on my satalite dish and its fantastic!

[ Edited by: VoodooTrucker13 2007-02-20 22:24 ]

Max Fleischer's 1938 cartoon All's Fair at the Fair the retro-futuristic look at the marvels coming to the 1939 New York World's Fair.

All hopped up on toons,
Chongolio

Kikekeki nailed it with Clutch Cargo!with Spinner and Paddlefoot! He used to be on the Ray Rayner show on WGN channel 9 in Chi-town back in the late 60's and early 70's!!! Diver Dan used to have episodes on there too! As for our friend Clutch....Those pink mouths used to freak me out! Watched some episodes on Acid about 15 years ago and those little pink mouths are even spookier! Don't try that stunt at home! Yeeeeeeeek!
Spinner and Paddlefoot.....Kinda like Speed Racer with Spridles(is that his name?) and Chim Chim!What's up these clowns having sidekicks!?Does anyone remember LUNA? It was this pegasus toy that would magically grow and come to life in this little boy's room and they'd go on all these timetravel adventures!
Did you guys ever see any of those old Popeye WWII propaganda cartoons? The one I remember best was entitled...(this is true!) "Scratch another Slant-eye!" Popeye would most certainly be up for some hate crimes if this cartoon was aired today! Yikes!
Of course Chongolio's radar sniffed out this topic! Should've known that you were a cartoon junkie!

Along the Speed Racer line, one of my first cartoon memories was a early anime entry called Princess Knight set in medieval times. It had a Disney feel to it and showcased a girl who masqueraded as boy to inherited her fathers kingdom. It had a colorful cast and even Satan was an regular guest star. I don’t remember much more that that.

Thanks, Chongo, I didn't remember Johnny Quest partly because in my little girl's world it seemed more like 'real people' than the other cartoons at the time and somehow I still think of it as a live action show...silly me :D
LLT- I'm so glad you put Diver Dan in there. I had it down, but pulled it due to a memory glitch(was it live action or animation?) I may be getting it confused with Sea Hunt(live action). BTW, I worked with a guy that looked just like Clutch Cargo(minus the scary pink lips).
Mahaloz to all you cartoon junkies out there...
THIS IS FUN!
:lol:
K.

[ Edited by: kikekeki 2007-02-21 11:42 ]

I love this topic! I always liked the "fractured fairy tales" series, Sherman and Mr. Peabody and the wayback machine, Popeye is a huge fave of mine, Magilla Gorilla, Pink Panther, Atom Ant also. Plus I recall one that I dont know the name of and if anyone can tell me that would be great. The 1960s/70s era cartoon was about a hobo who suddenly became rich, but he lived in the hallway of the mansion and lit a campfire there and his butler would tend to him while he cooked food in tin cans over the fire. This cartoon was shown along with one about a scientist and a Frankenstein-type monster. Anyone know?

Is it Frankenstien Jr?

That hobo cartoon was Stuffy Durma made by the people behind Milton the Monster. I've always wondered if Milton The Monster was kidnapped by Kellogs and turned into Milton The Toaster

THANK YOU Naugatiki!!! I owe you a mai tai!! I am thrilled to get this info.
Also, at the Dollar Tree store I got a DVD of "classic cartoons of the 1940s." I didnt watch it yet but it looks good.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-09-25 20:10 ]

My favorite cartoon of all time was "Jonny Quest". The show first aired in prime time in 1964. I was seven years old and it was my favorite show. I watched it when it originally aired and then through syndication. That cartoon rocked. I remember thinking "this is a grown-up cartoon". The opening credits with that theme song was awesome. Jonny Quest, his friend Hadji, his father Dr. Quest, and we can't forget the coolest Roger "Race" Bannon who always got the chick. The original show is out on DVD. I think they did a second try at the series maybe in the late 70s or 80s but it wasn't as cool as the first. They toned it down as I remember, probably to make it more 'family friendly', and like a lot of things when people try to redo something they missed the point and spirit of the original.

I hear ya about Jonny Quest! It was kinda like when they made that Pippi Longstocking cartoons and updates.....LAME-O!!! (That was about the time they changed Lucky the Leprachaun into a total homogenized Anglo-American on Lucky Charms) Updates suck!

Rocky & Bullwinkle! In fact I just got a male long haired Chihuahua pup and named him Rocky (Rocket J. Squirrel is his official AKC registry name). Speaking of Chihuahuas, I'm also quite fond of Ren & Stimpy. As for the classics - Popeye (the island of the Goons), Betty Boop (St. James Infirmary Blues) and Bugs Bunny (especially anything with Yosemite Sam, gremlins or wrestlers) also a Robert Crumb fetish (huh?)

Tex Avery's "Red Hot Riding Hood" is a favorite...pretty much any Tex Avery, Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Super Chicken (hope this comes out on dvd), The Jetson, The Flintstones, and of course, and nice hearty "Captain CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEMAN!!!!!"

T

Check out this awesome Jonny Quest trailer some really talented fans put together...

http://jonnyquest.tv/

L
Luki posted on Sat, Sep 3, 2011 1:51 PM

I have an unopened Johnny Quest & Hadji action figure from the mid-90s that's in the garage for next Saturday's garage sale.

If anybody wants it, it's yours for the asking. PM with your address :)

I didn't see it when it was on but, I've become a huge fan of the Groovie Goolies.
I did watch a lot of show like the Snorks, Q-bert,Turbo Teen (the strangest puberty analogy I've ever seen),Kid Video, Thundar the Barbarian, Dungeon's & Dragons,He-Man, and G.I.Joe. Other then the Jetson,Flintstones, and edited Looney Toones; many of the oldet cartoon didn't air much where I grew up.

Went through my teens in the 60s, so it's got to be Rocky and Bullwinkle. Then Warner Bros., Bugs, Daffy etc. Throw in some Flintstones and Tennessee Tuxedo for good measure.

S

On 2011-09-03 20:22, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
I didn't see it when it was on but, I've become a huge fan of the Groovie Goolies.
I did watch a lot of show like the Snorks, Q-bert,Turbo Teen (the strangest puberty analogy I've ever seen),Kid Video, Thundar the Barbarian, Dungeon's & Dragons,He-Man, and G.I.Joe. Other then the Jetson,Flintstones, and edited Looney Toones; many of the oldet cartoon didn't air much where I grew up.

that's what i'm talking about brother. i actually still dvd's for thundarr the barbarian, dungeons & dragons, jetsons, tintin, scooby doo where are you? (from the 70s), thundercats, pole position, visonaries, jayce & the wheeled warriors amongst others.

for those that remember the above toons, check out the video below

http://youtu.be/UOuNwIRuCdA

Wow, I forgot about Pole Position. I forgot to mention Silverhawks,Spider-Man & his amazing friends,the Super Powers Show, Mr. T. and Danger Mouse/Count Duckula.

S

how about M.A.S.K? remember that?

http://youtu.be/o2Z1yLO9C-Q

how about GoBots?

http://youtu.be/lG3_dUapjLQ

remember Defenders of the Earth?

http://youtu.be/-Nm_jJBkHtU

remember to keep the planet clean my friend:

http://youtu.be/vpXM9bj-WPU

I had some of the M.A.S.K. toys but I never really got to see the show.

How about this Captain Planet?
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5876f2aced/don-cheadle-is-captain-planet

If the show had been more like this, the earth would be in better shape...or else.

S

that was so strange it was almost disturbing. i did however like linka.

did you watch cops?

http://youtu.be/fxQagE62_zI

I forgot about that one hehe. I never notice before that the character design for Big Boss is very similar to the mob boss character from the Heavy Metal movie.

L
Luki posted on Mon, Sep 26, 2011 9:27 PM

Faves:

Bugs Bunny
Speed Racer
Battle of the Planets
Star Blazers
Flintstones
Fractured Fairy Tales
Pink Panther
Scooby Doo

Does anybody remember a cartoon with a group of people who had this vehicle with a big matrix of buttons in the middle of the dashboard? They'd push a button and their car would turn into a van, or a submarine or whatever. I cannot for the life of me remember what that cartoon was.

Mighty Mouse was probably my first favorite cartoon.

Casper the Friendly Ghost was good and years later Space Ghost had its moments.

Snagglepuss was pretty good; exit stage left...right, even. Quickdraw McGraw (el Kabong).

So many great characters came out of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show, from Boris and Natasha to Dudley Do Right and Nell to the Fractured Fairy Tales and beyond.

The best cartoon I ever saw was an underground flick created by the renegade artists of the Disney company. I saw it at an erotic film festival cerca 1969. If you will recall the old black and white Disney toons with cows, this film (have no idea what it was called—hopefully someone else will know what I'm talking about) had lots of cows and all of your favorite Disney characters in basically a cartoon sex orgy.

It was kind of shocking to see Disney characters getting laid. They were drawn to perfection; the same artists that drew the regular Disney cartoon features. That was a treasure.

S

look what i found-

http://youtu.be/6MfisiGqtEM

Cool, never heard of that one before! I just got a hold of some episodes of Dragons' Lair, Eek the Cat, and the animated movie Animalympics.....some nice semi-forgotten animation

If you haven't seen this before, it's has a great wealth of vintage cartoons from the 30s and 40s. There is also a ton of other stuff up on the site, from live music recordings to audio books and literally everything in-between. Be forewarned that you could spend weeks on this this site if not years...

http://www.archive.org/details/classic_cartoons

S

i've been watching this on netflix. very fun and brings back a lot of memories

http://youtu.be/cgN0g4vqYMg

Porky in Wackyland is my favorite cartoon of all time.
You can watch it here: http://fan.tcm.com/_34Porky-in-Wackyland34-1938/video/1635270/66470.html?createPassive=true

D

Rocky and Bullwinkle was my favorite. Of course Bugs Bunny and Daffy. Really liked the older Donald Duck, Goofy and Chip n Dale ones too. Have a weakness for Tennessee Tuxedo, Hoppity Hooper and Yogi Bear.

This thread needs to be revived, so here's my entry:

Captain Goodvibes by Sydney artist and surfer Tony Edwards circa 1970s. Tony also started the Surf zine called Tracks over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaFxaAcbr1c

Its a wild ride if you're up for it.

Aloha
THIV

K

I never bought another edition of Tracks after the pig of steel got the chop.

The whole surf scene changed then, virtually overnight, becoming more mainstream and competition oriented.

p.s. vaguely recall a Californian surf comic character of about the same era, can't quite remember his name.

** eventually came to mind... Don Redondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VutqWDqEJmg

p.p.s. as grommets during the '70s, we'd pile into the Regal theatre to watch the old classic surf movies,
that weren't all that old back then, and sometimes they'd show this pearl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea79npseZhk

Seem to remember surfers getting barreled in the waves seen later in the clip when the car drives down to the bay,
maybe it was some other old cartoon clip...things are still a little hazy.

[ Edited by: komohana 2014-08-27 21:54 ]

S

anyone watched the original tintin cartoon? i have the dvd box set

http://youtu.be/zb-9TIr31i0

K
kraken posted on Sun, Nov 9, 2014 7:36 PM

On 2007-02-20 20:13, gonzo wrote:
Ahem

Roger Ramjet.

They used to play these on the Filipino TV station when I lived in Angeles city . I understand that Roger popping a Proton Energy pill (giving Roger the power of 20 atom bombs in ten seconds)caused quite a few kiddie overdoses so I never saw these in the US

Actually, Roger Ramjet was an American creation, produced from
1965 to about 1970 and in syndication right from the start. The
people who put it together (it was never backed by a big name)
were mostly from Lompoc in southern California--right next to
Vandenberg Air Force Base. It's no longer shown often in the
USA, but I'm told it's now big in Australia. BTW, the producer's
name was Fred Crippen.

Pages: 1 42 replies