Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Magazine Cover Art Contest - We have a winner!

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

Tiki Magazine Contest – With PRIZES!

Would you like to win a copy of Tiki Magazine #1, 2, 5, and 6?

Just answer the following question along with a sentence or two explaining your answer:

Whose artwork would you like to see on a future cover of Tiki Magazine?

Send your answer and explanation to [email protected] by midnight (PST) Friday March 2, 2007.

One randomly selected respondent will then receive a copy of issues #1, 2, 5, and 6!

Good Luck and Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2007-03-08 01:14 ]

Little Lost Tiki :)

Bamboo Ben!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2007-02-23 23:12 ]

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Stiki Tiki 2007-02-23 23:37 ]

Where's the chick's represe'en the tiki? I'd love to see some female tiki artists acknowledged. There are plenty of gal's to choose from but it would be really great to see some of Heather Watts work showcased on a Tiki Magazine cover.

Book of Tiki cover artist Moritz R.:

On 2007-02-23 22:30, Unga Bunga wrote:
Bamboo Ben!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2007-02-23 23:12 ]

It's really good to see you on the boards again, Unga. :)

Mahalo for your responses! If you want to be considered for the contest make sure to send your answer and explanation to [email protected] by Midnight (PST) Friday March 2, 2007.

Cheers!
http://www.TikiMag.net

On 2007-02-24 00:43, Tiki Chris wrote:
Mahalo for your responses! If you want to be considered for the contest make sure to send your answer and explanation to [email protected] by Midnight (PST) Friday March 2, 2007.

Cheers!

I'm sure you got my email Chris, but as everyone else seems to be championing their choice on this post...here goes..(big breath)...TIKI RACER! It would be great for Tiki Magazine to have an overseas tiki artist on their cover, especially as good an artist as this. TCers check him out if you haven't already at ww.tikiracer.com

Here's hoping? - Trader Jim (Make mine a MAI-TAI in a Tiki Racer Zombie Mug, especially the limited edition 'Body Bag' jobbie!!).

T

1# Derek (cover)
2# Miles (cover) carver Foi Moe
3# Horne (cover) carver Diablo (now the crazy part to me is that Diablo would be just as good for the cover and it was like two great tiki artist at once. Four issues a year, two artist at once, (was there going to be enough white hot artist for the years to come?) and hopefully there is more than four issues a year although, that does make it special)

4# Crazy Al(cover) carver Gecko and both are carvers
5# Shag (cover) carver Bosko (but it was art of shag but really Bosko on the cover. I like to think of this issue as the Bosko issue.

6# Tiki Tony.

Now to me, these are the top tiki guys if I was going to write a list of the top in my head. Although I wouldn't have known the carves from issue #2.

All I ask and this was way before the post just now, is that their are some great artist that should be address before a couple of the others. When I first was looking into tiki in 2004 three names came up. Can you name theM? It was Shag, Von Franco, and Pizz.(they did a show together)
Today we know Shag but the other two are not names that pop up . I think of them as dabblers. A little tiki, and alitle hot rod culture, alittle something esle. I just don't think a guy like the Pizz, although made one of my favorite mugs, should be in the Magazine anytime soon before some of the others mentioned . Any else agree?? Now I can certainly think of a couple names that would be great.

On 2007-02-23 20:51, WooHooWahine wrote:
Little Lost Tiki :)

+1 I vote for Ken!

Squid! Senor Calamar! Magical Master of Mugs!!!
......or TikiShark!(but he already got a vote!)
But wait! Who cares what we write here! Read the instructions kids!

Send your answer and explanation to [email protected] by midnight (PST) Friday March 2, 2007.

All your chirpin and hollerin ain't gonna do a bit of difference if you don't write stuff about your favorite artist and e-mail it to the address above.....So please, be a good citizen and follow directions :)
Looks like you got a solid three years worth of talent for your covers already! Fun Contest!

LLT's right, folks! However, it's great to see people getting so excited about their fave artists.

Please note that you're playing to win 4 free back issues of Tiki Magazine. * Tiki Magazine can't promise that your suggested artist will do a cover!*

Also keep in mind that this isn't just a TC contest. Our MySpace friends as well as our blog readers are chiming in too.

http://myspace.com/tikimag
http://tikimag.blogspot.com/index.html

Keep 'em coming: [email protected]

Cheers,
http://www.tikimag.net

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2007-02-24 13:59 ]

On 2007-02-23 23:42, DawnTiki wrote:
Where's the chick's represe'en the tiki? I'd love to see some female tiki artists acknowledged. There are plenty of gal's to choose from but it would be really great to see some of Heather Watts work showcased on a Tiki Magazine cover.

Agreed!!
How about "CRASH" (Cindy Raschke)

Wow! I can't believe the response to this contest (My inbox has filled up at least twice this weekend).

By the way, plenty of Tiki Central artists have been mentioned in the emails!

Keep 'em coming!

A note to everyone who was ever encouraged or complimented by Benzart to nominate him for the cover, he is one special guy.

P

Easy.

BK.

J
JTD posted on Sun, Feb 25, 2007 5:53 PM

ditto

T

Basement Kahuna all the way

Ooooh, BK with the first fully carved wooden magazine cover!

I agree, a BK cover would be real nice.

BENZART!!!!!!

BENZART!!!!!!

BENZART!!!!!!

The Elders Deserve It more than the newbies!!!

Wusssssup people!!!???

D

Right on Ben just got my vote as well.

Blowtiki!

BK!

Id vote for tikiracer his art is cool and he has just designed a very cool zombie mug

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 2:24 PM

GROG think Boris Vallejo would do a great cover, since Frank Frazetta is dead. Or, Thomas Kinkade--- painter of light. Maybe Leroy Neiman.

T

I think the 'Monkey Love' chick should do some covers !!!!!

Mahalo for your responses! Keep in mind that if you want to be considered for the contest make sure to send your answer and explanation to [email protected] by Midnight (PST) Friday March 2, 2007.

Cheers!

T

I have said my choice before this contest came about, and we still don't know who is on the cover of the up coming issue. That issue isn't too far away, so the name you pick here wouldn't apply, right? Would you be able to tell us who is on the next cover so we first came be excited about it and second, so its not a wasted guess? If not, play on.

TS

The upcoming issue cover artist is phenomenal. He isn't a "just tiki" artist, but this guy can lay down some mean ink on paper! I won't spoil it for anyone, but if Chris wants to, he can tell you who the next issue artist is. I know because the first day of the contest, this is who I chose...I don't think anyone will be dissapointed. My vote was cast,and my chance has past! Now back to the CURRENT contest.

On 2007-02-28 05:16, teaKEY wrote:
I have said my choice before this contest came about, and we still don't know who is on the cover of the up coming issue. That issue isn't too far away, so the name you pick here wouldn't apply, right? Would you be able to tell us who is on the next cover so we first came be excited about it and second, so its not a wasted guess? If not, play on.

teaKEY,

I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear. The contest winner won't get to choose whose artwork appears on an issue Tiki Magazine. The randomly selected winner will simply win 4 back copies of TM.

The reason we're asking for your cover artist suggestion is to help ensure that TM is meeting the interests of our readers. Telling us know what artists interest you is not a waste. It's a great way let us know what you'd like to see in future issues of Tiki Magazine. Your suggestions are always welcome.

With respect to next issue's cover artist, I'll let Nick (the publisher) decide when to announce. However, I will say this: lots of folks have mentioned this artist and Nick has been doing a great job lining up the artists that TM readers love!

Mahalo,
Tiki Chris

On 2007-02-26 14:24, GROG wrote:
GROG think Boris Vallejo would do a great cover, since Frank Frazetta is dead. Or, Thomas Kinkade--- painter of light. Maybe Leroy Neiman.

You should let Frank Frazetta know he is dead so he can stop painting.

Or did you mean that in a "70's music is dead" kind of way?;)

Last day. Anybody else?
[email protected]

By the way, the reason we're not offering issues 3 and 4 for free is because they're SOLD OUT! More about Tiki Magazine back issues can be found at http://www.tikimag.net/pastissues.cgi.

There's still time to enter the contest! Just answer the following question along with a sentence or two explaining your answer:

Whose artwork would you like to see on a future cover of Tiki Magazine?

One randomly selected respondent will then receive a copy of issues #1, 2, 5, and 6!

Good Luck and Mahalo!

UB

Chongolio!

TC

Mahalo to everyone who participated! We'll contact a winner some time in the next week. Of course - contest or not - your suggestions are always welcome.

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 8:30 AM

Until Chris cleared it up, I thought that the winner was picked from a small pool of the right person. So if there was a winning name picked, then the people that picked that name would be picked from. But I get the cleared -up version.

So, since it doesn't matter if I said who I picked I'll say that I want to see Benzart of the cover. I think that this is BenZart's year. Long time tiki artist, started a tiki carving revival, his work is accelerating, TikiCentral's most beloved carver (at least how I see it). I big carving with those eyes, right on the cover.

And secondly, I would like to hear more about the dynamic dual Munktiki. I have yet to see any written published words about them, except for the Tiki-News mug makers snippet. There is that Japanese Hot rod magazine with an article on them, but I'm not spending $15 to read it.

Benzart would be great. There are so many good artists on this board, so looking forard to seeing who is on the next cover and who the winner is in this contest. :)

T
teaKEY posted on Sat, Mar 3, 2007 8:58 AM

Big NAmes that love you long time,

Squid.

And I would love to hear something from the Tiki Inventor/Scientist, Joe Vitale

TC

We have a winner!

Congratulations to Dawn Tiki, who suggested Tiki Magazine feature Heather Watts on its cover. Here's her comment:

"Where are the chicks representing the tiki? I'd love to see some female tiki artists acknowledged. There are plenty of gals to choose from, but it would be really great to see some of Heather Watts showcased on a Tiki Magazine cover."

Mahalo for your comment, Dawn! We'll get those back copies (and a free T-shirt) out to you soon. As to whether Heather Watts brilliant artwork will grace the cover of Tiki Magazine ... you'll just have to wait and see!

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2007-03-08 01:12 ]

D

That's great news! THANK GOODNESS! Someone finally saw the light, it's about time people get a chance to see some of the talented female artists in the tiki community! I'm so thrilled it's going to be Heather!!! I can't wait to see what she comes up with for the cover (if she agrees to do it). Oh and thanks for the free loot too!

RB

Heather Watts is great...can't wait for the next issue!

TC

On 2007-03-08 07:14, Rum Balls wrote:
Heather Watts is great...can't wait for the next issue!

Please note: Heather Watts will not be on the cover of the next issue of Tiki Magazine. However, I think lots of folks will be pleased with next issue's cover artist!

Could she maybe be on the cover of a future issue? Well, you'll have to wait and see.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2007-03-08 07:31 ]

OOOOH!
Congrats to DawnTiki and Heather!
Hopefully, we will see a Ms. Watts cover in a future issue!
TikiChicks Rule! :)

S
squid posted on Sun, Mar 18, 2007 5:30 PM

Good on ya both!

Congrats Dawn....good idea about gettin' the gals more recognition. :tiki:

Let's do this again so I can vote for a Jonpaul Balak photo cover.

Oh and the current Winter issue's Brad Parker cover is great!

Balak in 2010 !

Pages: 1 2 52 replies