Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Upcoming events with tiki mugs?

Pages: 1 31 replies

Hello I'm new here and I've just resumed collecting mugs after a couple year hiatus and I was just wondering if there's any events coming up with mugs associated with them...

Also, being a graduate student stuck in Indiana doesn't allow for much travel, so what's the best way to go about obtaining said mugs? Are people willing to help out or am I on my own? Thanks! :)

On 2007-02-23 20:05, luckytiki wrote:
Also, being a graduate student stuck in Indiana doesn't allow for much travel, so what's the best way to go about obtaining said mugs? Are people willing to help out or am I on my own? Thanks! :)

It depends on what school you are going to. If it is IU Bloomington, then we can probably help out. If it is Purdue, then you are on your own :wink:

You are in potential rich hunting grounds, because you are midway between two significant Tiki areas: Chicago and Columbus (where the late, great Kahiki existed). Also, this area may have not yet been heavily hunted, and you may be able to find some good stuff in the wild, e.g. thrift stores, flea markets, and antique stores. I once stumbled across an extremely rare WWII slat-grilled Jeep in Knaw Bone, Indiana. While not exactly Tiki, it seemed to suggest the off-the-beaten-path places hold lots of treasures.

Also, people trade a lot on this board, and there is, of course, Ebay. As for events, there are biggies on the east coast (Hukilau) and west coast (Tiki Oasis). Chicago may have events where mugs may be acquired. Check out the Tiki events section on this board to keep in the loop.

Good luck, and Go Hoosiers!

The Tikipedia
www.tikipedia.com

[ Edited by: tikipedia 2007-02-23 22:22 ]

oh well IU huh?

Boiler up! :wink:

If it helps my cause at all I'm a Boilermaker transplanted from San Diego... just recently in fact!

Thanks for all the advice and I'm going to keep my eyes on Chicago since I know DVA gallery has there yearly tiki show so I think I'll try t get up to that this year.

Hi Lucky Tiki,

Here are some upcoming things that will have event mugs
• Viva Las Vegas 10
• Tiki Oasis 7
• Hukilau 2007
and I think Tiki Kon V?

Don't forget the TikiFarm Parking Lot Sale in April!!!! :)

Awesome thanks for the list... I probably won't be able to attend those events :( so do I bribe people to grab me a mug now r should I wait till the event gets near? :)

TM

Keep an eye on the Tiki Marketplace threads....

H

Welcome back to the world of mug collecting, luckytiki!

Each of the events works differently and has their own approach to their mugs, but generally the reason event organizers create their own mugs is to: 1) entice people to attend their event, and 2) provide a souvenir for those who have attended the event. That means, understandably, that their attendees come first.

There have been situations in the past where there have been event attendees who have not been able to get a mug, due to sales to non-attendees -- largely through people who buy more than their "fair share" of mugs at the event. This has generally led event organizers to restrict the sale of their mugs, in an effort to make sure that the people who support their event with their physical attendance have the ability to get one.

That may mean that they are only sold at the actual event, or are only sold to people who have purchased a ticket for the event, or that only one mug can be purchased per person. This makes it a little rougher for those who just want the mug and aren't going to the event, but it means the mug gets to serve its intended purpose -- as a souvenir. Many hold it to be poor form to buy an event mug for an event they did not attend. On the other hand, many events wind up with plenty of mugs for everyone, and are very happy to sell to non-attendees.

As mentioned, each event is different, so look for how each event will be handling their mug sales, and look for contact information for the event organizers so you can contact them after the event to see if they have any extra mugs.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2007-02-24 14:32 ]

TM

Whoa

By no means do I want someone who actually attends the event to lose out because I want one and I take "theirs".

I understand the idea that it might be bad form to buy an "event mug" for an event you didn't attend, but I view these as artwork and usually the events churn out some of the most creative mugs (tiki oasis V is one on my favorites), so if I like a piece I'm going to do what I can to obtain it within reasonable means.

Being a graduate students limits my time and money, so I can't afford to take trips that aren't related to school or visiting friends and family; basically I can't take trips to get these mugs. I'm not asking anyone to take pity on me and I guess some would say (nobody here) if I can't afford it I shouldn't be involved in collecting, but I think that's a pretty elitist view.

The point is if someone wants to help me I will take them up on it, if everyone chooses to ignore me then that's fine too, I'll understand the reasons, and I won't complain.

I appreciate the tips and advice. Thank you for giving me some insight to some of the etiquette involved with tiki mug collecting; it's always good to know the "rules".

On 2007-02-24 14:30, Humuhumu wrote:

Many hold it to be poor form to buy an event mug for an event they did not attend.

and many don't.

some are anti-social and just like mugs.

While I don't personally have any mugs from events that I have not attended, I do have a ton of mugs from bars & restaurants that I've never been to. In fact, many went out of business before I was born. I don't see a difference.

-Z

H

No prob! It's not really about any "rules," though -- more about giving you a heads-up on the lay of the land , so that your mug quests can be more fruitful (and so that if you do reach a roadblock, you might have some understanding about where it came from). Like I said, every event is different. Good luck!

TM

As a rule, I don't get mugs from any of the events I attend. I do collect mugs from events I do not attend.
Having said that, can someone pick me up a Hukilau Mug?

TM

On 2007-02-24 15:59, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
I do have a ton of mugs from bars & restaurants that I've never been to. In fact, many went out of business before I was born. I don't see a difference.

-Z

That could be the best statement I've ever seen on TC...

On 2007-02-24 20:02, Tiki Matt wrote:

I do have a ton of mugs from bars & restaurants that I've never been to. In fact, many went out of business before I was born. I don't see a difference.

-Z

That could be the best statement I've ever seen on TC...

CHEERS!!

Right... so if anyone is willing to help out I will compensate or try to return the favor at some point :) thanks

T

Hey lucky tiki, I see that you have the Tiki Art 3 mug. I was trying like mad to get that mug. I asked people that I knew were going and this event you could buy, I think two per person, and no one reesposned to me PMs and I never got that mug. I would say, that so for you are doing better than I am in the event department.

"Many hold it to be poor form to buy an event mug for an event they did not attend."-Humu

I don't think that this statemment can ring true in the eyes of a collector outside the range of an event, but I certainly think that it sucks when the event mugs go on Ebay the following week.

I agree that stocking up on mugs just to flip them on ebay is poor form...

I just obtained that mug along with the viva LV 8 mug so they're still in route to their new home, but I would be open to trading them :)

R

Did you ever tell us what part of Indiana you're from?
I'm from Western Kentucky so if you were in say, Evansville it'd be quite close.

As for mugs from conventions, I've never had any luck. I have found a few (very common) mugs from flea market type things in this area.

By the way, i have a cheap, mass-produced black mug that says "Indiana" on the back. I'm holding it hostage from all you dang hoosiers. :)

L

I'm actually from San Diego, Ca originally, but I live in West Lafayette :) so not real close to KY

Holding tiki mugs ransom? what has this world come to?

T

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2012-06-29 07:03 ]

L

Hopefully, but I have no idea what my research/school schedule will look like

I just noticed that my bio says I'm a 4 yr grand member... I just joined like 1 hr ago!

D
dibroc posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 8:03 PM

I just noticed that my bio says I'm a 4 yr grand member... I just joined like 1 hr ago

you know what they say Lucky..... " Time flies when you are having fun".

L

On 2007-03-01 20:03, dibroc wrote:
I just noticed that my bio says I'm a 4 yr grand member... I just joined like 1 hr ago

you know what they say Lucky..... " Time flies when you are having fun".

funny thing is I've been watching "back to the future" tonight
So I guess I'm in a 4 yr fast forward!
Best part is that means I'm almost done with my PhD... I suppose I should call my girlfriend to see if we're still together too :D

On 2007-02-24 14:30, Humuhumu wrote:

Many hold it to be poor form to buy an event mug for an event they did not attend.

and many don't.

some are anti-social and just like mugs.

While I don't personally have any mugs from events that I have not attended, I do have a ton of mugs from bars & restaurants that I've never been to. In fact, many went out of business before I was born. I don't see a difference.

-Z

THANK YOU, Z! Forget form(alities) we are collecting ceramic cups. Have fun and collect what you love.

S

Right over the border in May will be Tiki Eyeball in May. We are working on a custom mug for the event. It will be a limited edition of 150. First year for this event. Going all out to have a custom mug the first year. Come over and get one!

L

That looks great! and I would totally go but I'll be in San Diego for my girlfriends college graduation though and I don't think she would be to happy if I was missing it for a tiki event...

Any help would be great on this one!

T

[Grudgingly helping a Boilermaker...]

Does it have to be an event mug? If you are in SD, then Oasis is coming up in August. But I suppose your girlfriend will be graduating around May-ish, so it may be a bit late for you.

L

No doesn't have to be an event mug, I just like them because you usually they're the most artistic of the bunch...

In fact I'm trying to track down SHAG mugs right now (with little luck)

Tiki Oasis is the weekend right before Fall semester starts up s I might be able to go, but It probably wouldn't be a wise decision!

M

Forget form(alities) we are collecting ceramic cups.

It's a sad realization...But true, we collect ceramic cups... It's all the internet's fault. If it wasn't for the damn internet I wouldn't know you guys and there would be no eBay and I wouldn't know Tiki mugs existed beyond the Maui Lu Daga mug.

D
DaTiki posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 6:32 PM

Definitely stop by. This year we'll have one-of-a-kind artist's decanters! -DvA

yo, datiki, where are those decanters gonna be?? at the tiki eyeball event?fB

Pages: 1 31 replies