Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The London Luau 2007,Online gallery live & merchandise

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk/

The London Luau 2007 webpage is up and the dates for this year's Luau are June 8,9,10th. Dr Alderete has kindly done the art work this year and he has come up with the 007 theme (get it!).
There are a few changes this year to make it a better Luau for everyone.
Trader Vic's Luau meal is no longer a buffet, instead everyone is guaranteed a seat and food will be brought on large trays and placed in the centre of the tables to share. We are also planning London's first alternative boat race in dug out canoes and will be holding traditional hula classes during the day.
The London Hilton is also doing a Luau special room rate, you can see the details in the Hotel section on the website.
There is more entertainment and locations to be announced so keep an eye on the website.
The London Luau tickets are strickly limited to 220 this year and would recommend booking early as the interest in this years Luau has been overwhelming.
We look forward to seeing you all there

http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk/

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-03-23 07:11 ]

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-06-05 10:06 ]

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-06-17 09:26 ]

Excellent....love the poster that is sheer brilliance. Of course, anything Bond gets my vote!!! :wink:

M

Crap. I'd hoped to be in London the week of the Luau, but my schedule was changed, and now I'll be there the week before. Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

Forgot to mention, anyone interested in vending at the event, please get in touch with us [email protected]
Also if anyone is interested in submitting Artwork for the Artshow get in touch too.

Like last year we are doing a prize draw for everyone who gets their tickets before 1st May, one ticket number will be drawn out of the hat and the winner will get Dinner for two at Trader Vics, London to a value of £120.

We are also finalising one of the other exciting parts of the weekend, The battle of the Tiki bars, Londons Tiki bars go up against each other in an Outrigger Canoe Race on the River Thames.

Look forward to seeing some of you there

P

It's looking more likely that Steve and I will be able to make it...My liver is hurting just thinking about it!

P

Just wanted to say that your whole 007 theme is spectacularly cool.
Love the artwork and everything about your site.

Looks like a blast, friend.
Wish I could do June, but there's another globe-trot in the offing in August.
I plan on being in London in September. Hope to see you then.

G

Agreed. The 007 theme is great. But...

Um. If you can't improve upon the original. Uh....

For all you Ticket holders the dinner at Vics prize is being drawn this afternoon.

We also would like to announce that we also have british surf band "Bikini Beach" playing on saturday night as well completing our line up.

and the winner is...

It's me!!!!
Nah not really but it was the same jammy bugger who won a bottle of rum last year.
Drum roll... and please step forward Mrs Sue Wright.
Congratulations and see you at the Luau.

The London Luau Artshow and vending area are also confirmed, and are to be held at the truman Brewery on Londons very cool Brick Lane.
The space will be open for the Artshow opening on friday night and throughout the weekend where you can check out the Art, peruse the vendors, watch movies, learn to dance with Beats of Polynesia and have a few pre evening cocktails at the bar run by Giles and Michael from Cocktail Shakers, designers of some of the worlds best cocktail menus.
Look forward to seeing some of you there.

Congrats, Sue!

Feelin' smug here - booked a hotel a couple weeks' back ... as luck would have it, 10 mins walk from the marketplace!

T

Wow, Wow, Wow! Thanks guys that's great news, I have just found out through a text from Liz and Chris, I hadn't been on Tiki Central tonight as we have been out, but I am gobsmacked and really embarressed, especially after last year!! I am gonna take Dave there for his birthday and probably book into a hotel for the night, and just really enjoy it! Thanks again so much, can't wait for the Luau, roll on June!!

The luau is shaping up to be a classic, can't wait, better get my crayons out and finish my projects for the artshow.

Well done sue and dave on the win, have fun.

I couldn't believe it when i pulled you name out of the hat...Sue you really are a lucky person.

Anjy @ CheekyTiki

P

...Well done sue and dave on the win, have fun.

Sorry? Does this mean I haven't won? Damn that curse of POCKETIKI #2!!!!! Well done Sue & Dave you jammy buggers!! Hot Rod Tucker anyone?

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!

This is basically the running order for the Luau this Year for those who are coming so you know whats on, although there might be acouple of last minute surprises

Tiki Art Show Opening, 5.00pm – 7.00pm, Friday 8th June.
Studio 95, The Old Truman Brewery, London E4 6QL

A private viewing of art works from a selection of Tiki Artists from around the world, plus complimentary Drinks.
This will also be the 1st chance you will have to get your hands on one of
Dr Alderete’s Limited Edition (100 only) London Luau 2007 prints.

Then, when you are ready, head on down to:

Mahiki, 7.00pm – 11.00pm, Friday 8th June.
Aloha Room, Mahiki, 1 Dover Street, London W1

Entertainment from ‘King Kukulele’ (U.S.A) and ‘Coco Nami’ (Germany), with DJ Hukilau.
Plus 1 complimentary Coconut Grenade.
Please make sure you get to Mahiki swiftly if you are coming from the Artshow as the entertainment will be starting early. Everyone is welcome to spread through out Mahiki after 11pm.

‘The London Luau’ at Trader Vics London, 7.00pm – 2.00am, Saturday 9th June.
The London Hilton on Park Lane, 22 Park Lane, London W1K 4BE

Entertainment from ‘Bo Axelzon and his Exotic Orchestra’ (Sweden), ‘Beats of Polynesia’ (The Islands) and ‘Bikini Beach Band’ (London), Plus DJ Lemon Squezer (Germany) and Dolly Mixturita, all compered by the one and only King Kukulele.

On arrival you will receive your complimentary ‘London Luau’ Tiki Mug with your complimentary Mai Tai in it.
(this mug is yours to take home so don’t forget it)

Trader Vic’s 3 Course Luau meal will be served at your table from 8.00pm – 10.00pm.
Trays of Trader Vic’s special Luau menu will be brought to your table for all at your table to share. If you are a vegetarian please let Trader Vic’s now when you reserve your table so they can provide for you

Trailer Happiness, Cocktail Master Class, 3.00pm – 11.00pm, Sunday 10h June
177 Portobello Road, London W11

Learn how to make the perfect Tiki drink from a Cocktail Master whilst listening to exotic sounds from DJ Huki Lau, Dolly Mixturita plus others.
And of course you get your complimentary Drink.

After the success of last years Artshow and Market Place we are doing it again all under the same roof which will be open to the public so you can bring your friends and family.

Tiki Market Place, Studio 95, The Old Truman Brewery,
10.00am – 6.00pm, Saturday 9th June & 11.00pm – 5.30pm, Sunday 10th June.
Truman Brewery, 91 Brick Lane, London E4 6QL

This will have a variety of Tiki Traders, DJ’s, Entertainment, Tiki Carvers, "Ta moko" Tatto artist, Dance Classes, Paint your own tiki mug, Tiki Cinema and a Tiki Bar serving up your favourite cocktails all weekend long.

Aloha Cheekytiki!

Thanks so much for inviting me to be in the London Luau Art show! I won't be able to be there in person, but my art will be! I'm really excited about the show - my nephew, who lives in the west end, says it's being held in a really hip and trendy area of London. An area where most artists are dying to get their stuff shown!

I feel like a real international artist of mystery now! Yeah baby, YEAH!

Umm, I didn't post that last message. Anyone know how this would happen?

Hey Surf Tiki,

Don't know what was going on. I posted that, but some how it left it as you. Huh? Hanford thinks it's a bug. Hope I didn't break Tiki Central!

Aloha,

I must admit, it had me a little confused

WAHOO!!! Just got the tickets! This is going to be the tiki event of the year here in the UK and...I JUST CAN'T WAIT!!! I know how hard Jamie & Anjy,, those CheekyTikis have been working to make this a success...and a success it will be! Looking forward to hooking up with all you guys coming over from Europe and the States. Remember...Mine's a Mai-Tai! Ha, ha!! Now...BRING IT ON!!!!

Trader Jim.

With you all the way Trader Jim ... first round's on 'the newly-weds' ...

M

I've got a ticket to ride, but no place to sit.

One (1) loud American seeks tablemateys for pig feast at Vic's. Willing to share snout. There will be snout, won't there!?! Have good table manners and plays well with others. Assuming, and it's getting iffier by the day, I make it though the first part of my journey, I'll be there Saturday, with bells/cool shirt on. Please respond to "[email protected]" or just send me a PM here.

This little piggy,
el midnite

The luau is shaping up to be a classic.

We're putting the final touches to the script for a short film/podcast, which will premier at the luau artshow venue.

Plus I'll have new lino cuts prints for sale and zombie mugs. AND a very short run of pendants. I'll post some pics in the coming days.

*With you all the way Trader Jim ... first round's on 'the newly-weds' ...

Might just have to hold you to that Mr. & Mrs. Stevenson!

[i]One (1) loud American seeks tablemateys for pig feast at Vic's...

Being we've missed you both times you've come over, you'd be more than welcome at our table, but I think it maybe oversubscribed already! Looking forward to hooking up during the evening either way! See you there!!

[i]On 2007-05-20 11:02, tikiracer wrote:*
...AND a very short run of pendants. I'll post some pics in the coming days.

Hey! If you think you are 'Sophisticated Suburban Savage!' enough....check out these bad boys! Don't go gettin' delusions of grandeur though, ONLY TIKI RACER has the full blown six tooth full monty! You'll KILL for one of the four tooth versions though...I DID! Maybe I'll post a piccie too? Do you think you are ready for that folks?

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai!...in the company of the TC Ohana at the LONDON LUAU!!!

On 2007-05-20 16:56, POCKETIKI wrote:

One (1) loud American seeks tablemateys for pig feast at Vic's...

Being we've missed you both times you've come over, you'd be more than welcome at our table, but I think it maybe oversubscribed already! Looking forward to hooking up during the evening either way! See you there!!

Well, I rang Trader Vics and the lovely people said that they would do their best to make up a table for 13. They are SO nice.

Oh, wait... A table for (un)lucky 13, at Trader Vics, in London ... with someone called midnite_tiki...
Phew, that's OK the full moon is on 1 June! Aaooowww!

Make mine a Silver Bullet, just in case...

[ Edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2007-05-22 03:45 ]

Well, I rang Trader Vics and the lovely people said that they would do their best to make up a table for 13. They are SO nice.

Oh, wait... A table for (un)lucky 13, at Trader Vics, in London ... with someone called midnite_tiki...
Phew, that's OK the full moon is on 1 June! Aaooowww!

Make mine a Silver Bullet, just in case...

They can always do what they do at the Savoy - True Story

Kaspar is a longtime resident of the Savoy Hotel on the Strand. Kaspar also hails from the 1920s, when he was carved by designer Basil Ionides. Sleek, black and 3 feet tall, the wooden cat sits inside a display case opposite the gift shop.

His job: to serve as the 14th guest when hosts find their private dinner parties attended by an unlucky number of guests. On request, Kaspar is seated in a chair, draped with a dinner napkin and served each course as though he were one of the diners.

The story goes that in 1898, hotel guest Woolf Joel hosted a dinner party for 13. He laughed off the superstition that held the first to rise from the table would be the first to die. Joel rose first and was shortly thereafter murdered in his native South Africa. From then on, the Savoy decided to even up all dinner parties of 13. Enter Kaspar. Visitors may see Kaspar in his showcase (and buy related souvenirs in the gift shop opposite), but he'll join your table only if you bring along 12 friends.

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-05-22 04:26 ]

M

Well, I rang Trader Vics and the lovely people said that they would do their best to make up a table for 13. They are SO nice

Totally awesome! For a spell there I thought I'd be over at that table with Mohammed, Jugdish, and Sidney. I promise to be on my best behavior, which of course is a relative concept.

On request, Kaspar is seated in a chair, draped with a dinner napkin and served each course as though he were one of the diners. *

Cat doesn't need a Mai Tai. I get the cat's drink, dibs on the cocktail.

• He laughed off the superstition that held the first to rise from the table would be the first to die. Joel rose first and was shortly thereafter murdered in his native South Africa. From then on, the Savoy decided to even up all dinner parties of 13. Enter Kaspar. Visitors may see Kaspar in his showcase (and buy related souvenirs in the gift shop opposite), but he'll join your table only if you bring along 12 friends.

Hmm, hello Mohammed and Jugdish!

Mr. Bad Example,
midnite

On 2007-05-22 04:26, cheekytiki wrote:

...The story goes that in 1898, hotel guest Woolf Joel hosted a dinner party for 13. He laughed off the superstition that held the first to rise from the table would be the first to die. Joel rose first and was shortly thereafter murdered in his native South Africa...

Spooky or what? I heard that he never ever ate at the Savoy again on principle! Well, on the principle that he was dead! Personally, I love the number 13! That's why I got #13 of TIKI RACER's Body Bagged ZOMBIE mug!! Lucky ol' me! 13 forever!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Midnite Mai-Tai, ha, ha!

Hang on....there's smoke coming out of the back of my computer...What the...Sian! Get the fire extinguisher....Oh Shi...........................................

Hmmmm... Just noticed that we've got tix 13 and 14 for the Luau!

Want to 'trade'?

On 2007-05-31 12:37, 54 house of bamboo wrote:

Want to 'trade'?

Hey! Look on the bright side...One of you is going to have a good time!!

I'm not superstitious, I'll swap that number 14 if you like? I've always considered 13 a LUCKY number. The fact is everyone will have a GREAT time at the LONDON LUAU no matter what their ticket number!

You have all got yours haven't you?

Trader Jim - Make mine 13 Mai-Tais!

Here's a tease clip from the new short film premiering at the Luau art gallery mini movie theatre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSLaGVMNoUU

This is a mixology of tiki, jackanory and hp lovecraft, told from the tiki racer tiki bar.

After the Luau we will sort out a full length weblink, however the final cut will be about 18 mins which is too big for youtube.

Thanks go out to the following - Alone, Trader Jim, Cheekytiki, Trader Jim and Tiki Lawman

PLUS we have a limited edition Lino Cut print inspired by the story.

See you at the Luau.

P

On 2007-06-03 23:55, tikiracer wrote:
...Thanks go out to the following - Alone, Trader Jim, Cheekytiki, Trader Jim and Tiki Lawman...See you at the Luau.

Looks good TR! Thanks for the thanks...I know I'm good, but to get twice the thanks of the others is possibly overdoing it! Actually...On reflection forget I just said that, ha, ha!!

Things are really shaping up for the LONDON LUAU and there are already a number of people who are just plain ticked off that they didn't bother to get tickets!

Please people! Don't let this sorry bunch of losers be YOU!!!

I think there are still a few tickets left if you are quick!

SEE YOU ALL THERE!!!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Mai-Tai at Trader Vic's in less than a week's time!! WAHOO!!

Aloha,
Only 3 days to go until The London Luau 2007.
Just to remind you whats on offer this year.

Friday night is the Tiki Art Show openning with loads of fantastic art from all around the world being shown, washed down with complimentary rum punch. Followed by a night of fun and frolics at Londons coolest new Tiki Bar, Mahiki, where you will experience the auditary delights of King Kukulele and Coco Nami and the oral delight of a complimentary Coconut Grenade.

Saturday you can peruse the Art show, Market stalls, learn some traditional polynesian dance moves, relax in our own lienced bar and watch movies in the Tiki cinema.
Next onto the main event, The Luau at Trader Vics where you will enjoy a night of polynesian plesure, with your complimentary Mai Tai in your 2007 London Luau Tiki Mug, three course Luau meal, goodie bags, and entertainment from 'Beats of Polynesia', 'Bo Axlezon' and 'Bikini Beach Band'.
And of course have plenty of fun with your fellow Tiki Nuts.

Once you eventually make it out of bed on Sunday, theres more fun to be had at the Market Place with Trader Jims, Pocketiki Pop Quiz with prizes to be won. Relax in the bar and prepare yourself to head on over to Trailer Happiness for a Cocktail Master class with some of the best in the business, pleasantly sip on your free Wray & Nephew Cocktail and wind down to the sounds of DJ Hukilau and maybe a few songs from the King Kukulele.

We dont want you to miss out so you can get your tickets from http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk or call Trader Vics on 0207 208 4113.

See you all on Friday.
The London Luau Team.

Got my Luau Ticket, Got my Train Ticket, Got my room booked, Got my place booked at trader vic's, Got my artwork sent, now i have to pick out what shirts to wear, exciting only three more sleeps till the laua.

Oh yeah.

Looking to fill the last few gaps on the mug shelf!

Or maybe buy a new shelf?

Lucky Ducks! Wish my webbed feet could transport meself across the pond! Take lots of pictures please! You're gonna have Too Much Fun! :)

So excited!

"La-le-la-le-la ... pop quiz"

Starring Trader Jim as former Radio 1 disc jockey and 2008 London Mayoral candidate, Mike Read!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsTO_j9BsRs

Or, wait... is that Poly pop quiz??

See you all at the weekend - don't forget it's mine and TikiRacer's birthday on 6 June...

P

On 2007-06-05 13:26, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
So excited!

"La-le-la-le-la ... pop quiz"

Starring Trader Jim as former Radio 1 disc jockey and 2008 London Mayoral candidate, Mike Read!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsTO_j9BsRs

Or, wait... is that Poly pop quiz??

See you all at the weekend - don't forget it's mine and TikiRacer's birthday on 6 June...

I can see where the confusion kicked in but Mike Read is actually younger than me and if I had a 'head to head' with two bands it would be THE CRAMPS Vs. THE MUMMIES!

It will be a 'Poly Pop' quiz with some simple questions and a few more taxing ones, so get swatting up with your 'Book of Tiki' & POCKETIKI!

We've been busy pulling stuff out of our collection to take to the Trading Post, records (inc. the super rare Trader Vic 10"), Spanish & vintage tiki mugs, tikis BIG and small, vintage and contemporary shirts, some great vintage books (inc. the awesome Thor Heyerdahl's 'American Indians in the Pacific!), Sian's cool 'Exotic Tramp' jewelery and some other neat stuff! And of course... POCKETIKI Magazine! Issues 1 & 2. We found a few 'limited edition' LUAU 2006 Launch copies of #1 too...First come first served!

We will also have a very few (two or three?) of the NEW Vintage Duncan mold 'Cryin' Tiki' mug that we have produced with CheekyTiki! I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

Happy Birthday Tiki Racer & Liz for tomorrow!! I'll get you both a Mai-Tai at MAHIKI to celebrate!!

SEE YOU ALL THERE!!! Trader Jim - Make mine a MAI-TAI or twenty!

T

Thats good, best we have a double celebration for you both,see everbody on friday cant wait!!

I am ready to party! Can`t wait to see you all soon!

P

THAT'S IT! Bed at five this morning!! I'm done ironing my shirts & packing my POCKETIKIs!!

Trader Jim - Make mine an MAHIKI Ultimate Mai-Tai tonight and a Trader Vic Mai-Tai tomorrow night!

WE'RE OFF TO THE LONDON LUAU...BYE BYEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure I speak for everyone I met at the London Luau when I say what a fantastic time we all had.

Thank you to all the artists, performers and organisers for all their hard work.

Cheers! :drink:

On 2007-05-31 12:37, 54 house of bamboo wrote:

Want to 'trade'?

Is that not totally weird concidering what happened on sunday?
The Tiki gods were against us this week end and we think it is the chocolate Tiki Lollies made by Sain La Beachcomber and that tiki toilet seat brought by Trader Jim.
Liz what ticket did you hold all weekend, 13 or 14

On 2007-06-12 13:56, cheekytiki wrote:

...we think it is the chocolate Tiki Lollies made by Sain La Beachcomber and that tiki toilet seat brought by Trader Jim...

There's nothing wrong with Sian the Beachcomber's Belgian Chocolate Tiki Lollies! Just ask anyone who bought one! Scrummy or what? I can't believe that the Josh Collins Tiki Toilet Seat can hold any bad 'mana' either, Josh was producing Tiki Art well before tiki really took off here in the UK. I'm fairly sure drinking beer in George Nuku's Maori Polystyrene Meeting House wouldn't have had anything to do with it Jamie? I think we can all rest easy and just blame bad people for bad things happening! I'm sure the gods will serve us well with these ne'rdowells. They will get what they deserve!

As for the good people? WE ALL GOT WHAT WE DESERVED...A KILLER LONDON LUAU! Everyone we spoke to certainly enjoyed it!! Already loking forward to next year's! You have started organising it I hope? Thanks for the MAMMOTH efforts you guys put into making this such a fantastic event, it is greatly appreciated!!!!

It was cool meeting all the foriegn folk too! France's very own Virani le Beachcomber (again!)...Capt. Midnight (San Francisco)...DJ Lemonsqueezer (Germany)...Christopher & his candles (Germany)...Charlie Adams (France)...Bo & Adam Axelzon (Sweden), and AtomicTonyTiki (Scotland - sorry Johann, couldn't resist that one!) to name but a few. Did we mention King Kukulele yet? As most of you alreadty know, this man is the embodiment of street entertainment, his showmanship added so much to this weekend...MAHALO NUI to the Duke of Uke!!!!

All the Best from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim & Sian the Beachcomber xx

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2007-06-13 14:13 ]

The London Luau online Gallery is now live!
Also the chance to get your hands on some London Luau merchandise, mugs, Dr. Alderete prints, T-shirts, stickers and the new Cd from King Kukulele & the Friki Tikis, plus lots more.
http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk

Pages: 1 2 49 replies