Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge

Pages: 1 2 3 135 replies

O

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 01:33, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

More expensive Curacao and Cointreau drinken straight are one thing, but as a component of a drink with several ingredients nobody will taste the least slightest difference or subtlety. ...

on 2007-3-05 Chip & Andy wrote:
I challenge you to a Orange Liquor Throwdown! Or something like that, I have been watching too much FoodTV lately.

OK Chip and Andy, lets have a Orange Liquor throwdown! I have quite a collection of orange liquors as I'm sure many of you do. Lets all use the same ingredients and make Mai Tais(what else). I asked the Bums opinion about curacao vs triple sec and here is what he had to say.

Aloha Ojaitimo,

Yes, triple sec, Cointreau, Curacao and Gran Marnier are all orange-based. That doesn't mean they're interchangable. Sausage, ham, bacon and pork ribs are all pig-based. Do they taste the same? The difference between Curacao, which is distilled from the dried peels of bitter oranges, and triple sec, which is a sweeter orange-flavored product, is pronounced. To take a non-Tiki example: there are hundreds of Margarita recipes, most calling for triple sec and some for Cointreau -- but I've never seen one that substitutes Curacao for triple sec. That should tell us something about subbing triple sec for Curacao in a Trader Vic Mai Tai. In the words of Grandmaster Flash: "Don't do it!" That is, if you want a true, classic Mai Tai. Everyone has different tastes -- so if you happen to prefer triple sec over Curacao, make your Mai Tai with triple sec. Drinking is all about making yourself happy!

Cheers, Bum

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-11 22:00 ]

You're On!

But first.... do you want to do the component mixology bit first and analyze each orange liquor? Or go straight for the final cocktail?

And then.... Mai-Tais? Margaritas? Blue Hawaiians?

And, may I suggest for those playing along at home......

We should analyze the drinks with the following three things in mind:

1 - Aroma
2 -Taste
3 - Price Point

The aroma and taste should be for both the individual liquor and the overall drink. And the price point should only be considered where one type of liquor is scarce (and therfore more expensive) regionaly. For example, in this neck of the woods Cointreau and Marie Brizard are easy to find but Senior Curacao and Bols are not.

Anyone else want to play along with us?

O

On 2007-03-11 19:41, Chip and Andy wrote:
You're On!

But first.... do you want to do the component mixology bit first and analyze each orange liquor? Or go straight for the final cocktail?

And then.... Mai-Tais? Margaritas? Blue Hawaiians?

Lets cover them all. "Component mixology" Sounds good, one drink at a time. We could also use smooth vodka so the orange liquor is more prominent than with rum in a vodka mai tai or make both?

Which orange liquor shall we start with?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-11 21:48 ]

For example, in this neck of the woods Cointreau and Marie Brizard are easy to find but Senior Curacao and Bols are not.

Liquor availability is a really odd thing. Bols is pretty easy to get here in Tucson, at at least one or two places, and costs about $10 a bottle. The Marie Brizard is impossible to find. There is one bottle of "Orange Liquor" MB here in town, but not a single bottle of Curacao. I did see it in Las Vegas when I was there, but I'm still holding out for a bottle of Seniors, which is completely unavailable in Arizona, from what I've been able to find.

As a comparison, you should probably try the Patron Citronage too. I was using that in my mai tai's until I bought a bottle of the Bols.

Chris

S

I'll see what I can add to this thread in the next couple days.

I've got: Patron Citronge, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Gran Gala, Marie Brizard Triple Sec, Allen's Triple Sec, and Leroux Curacao.

I am very curious about this. I've done some quick comparisons, but never really studied them. I'll have to see how each works in a Mai Tai.

PS: Which is better: DeKuyper's Curacao or Bols Curacao?

On 2007-03-12 06:00, Scottes wrote:
I'll see what I can add to this thread in the next couple days.

I've got: Patron Citronge, Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Gran Gala, Marie Brizard Triple Sec, Allen's Triple Sec, and Leroux Curacao.

Good idea, we should see who has what so we don't run out into left field with something no one else has.

I have Grand Marnier, Senior Curacao, Cointreau, Bols Curacao, MB Curacao, HW Triplesec and something else I will have to post on later.

That is kind of the point of this challenge, isn't it?

This is going to be fun! An excuse to drink. Well, I drink anyway, but to be able to do it in the name of science! That makes it much more fun.

S

On 2007-03-12 10:00, Chip and Andy wrote:

Sure, but within reason... The reason being that I'm not about to buy both of them. :)

I certainly don't mind comparing what I have, but I really don't want to buy 2 of the same mediocre stuff.

On 2007-03-12 10:08, Scottes wrote:

On 2007-03-12 10:00, Chip and Andy wrote:

Sure, but within reason... The reason being that I'm not about to buy both of them. :)

I certainly don't mind comparing what I have, but I really don't want to buy 2 of the same mediocre stuff.

No worries. Contribute what you can for what you have. Hopefully someone else's opinion on a differing product will convince you for or against adding ingredients to your bar.

G

On 2007-03-12 10:08, Scottes wrote:

Aha! In the name of science, continue on, but I believe you will find HW and Bol's curacao to be, well... go ahead and compare it to MB.

S

If I could only find MB Curacao.... :(

S

I stumbled across a liquor store that had what seemed to be a bunch of rejects and/or leftovers. I grabbed a bottle of Marie Brizard Orangero. Has anyone ever heard of this? All I can find is:

MB GRAND ORANGERO
Cognac based orange liqueur. Andalusia is one the prestigious parts of Spain where they traditionally grow the sweetest and juiciest oranges. If you distill the blend of sweet and bitter fruit, the result will be nothing else but Orangero.
Alcohol Content: 38%

This same store had Doorly's XO for $17. This rum has been on my list for some time and it was quite a surprise to find it, especially at less than half the price I expected. I also grabbed a bottle of Barrow's Grand Reserve rum for $16. I'm very curious about this rum.

Alas, Gentlemen, as much as I would like to dive into the challenge, my current lack of finances do not grant me the luxury of such a taste test. I've also already gone through this taste test in the past with others.

As I've stated in other posts on TC, I've tried different orange liqueurs in my mai tais and, while there is a subtle difference (not a world, as some would say) in their body and taste (including after-taste) when sipped straight, I've tasted no difference between them when mixed with the indredients of the mai tais I make. Because of this I stick to buying the less expensive orange liqueurs, and focus my money on the more important aspects of the drink -- the ones that make or break it.

Nevertheless, compare on! I shall follow the threads in interest.

Okole Maluna!

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-03-13 12:10 ]

T

Count me in. I've got:
Senior's Curacao
Dekuyper Triple Sec
HW Curacao (I think, can't remember anymore)
Grand Marnier
Cointreau

If we're mixing Mai Tais, shouldn't we all use the same rums, so as not to skew the results?

S

The use of different rums will play into it. Already I can tell you that Appleton VX + Myers Dark + Leroux Curacao is very sweet - too sweet for me. But it might balance just fine with a dryer dark, or with a Orgeat that is less sweet that my homemade.

And speaking of Orgeat, all I have is my own homemade stuff, because all I can find is Fees and that rotgut went down the drain. And the limes I get in New England are probably very different than the selection you have in Cali. So we probably already have other differences anyway.

So I say to compare in your favorite recipe and describe what each does to that recipe. Maybe we will all end up agreeing with DJ.

We talked a bit about this in another thread(but never got a answer) and I asked[quote: "I love Orange Liqueurs too but not particularly those mentioned above what about Grand Marnier? "

I always make My Kelly's killer Mai Tai's with Grand Marnier... so I'm not a realist, but it tastes great HiphiPaHuLA!
Whats your thoughts?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=20200&forum=10&start=135

H

Ok, so exactly what are we doing and when?

ahhhh... A Valley-ite I was a Granada Hills Valley Girl myself, when I get my remodeling done we will have a bash! I'm all over it :D

On 2007-03-13 14:18, Scottes wrote:
The use of different rums will play into it. Already I can tell you that Appleton VX + Myers Dark + Leroux Curacao is very sweet - too sweet for me. But it might balance just fine with a dryer dark, or with a Orgeat that is less sweet that my homemade.

And speaking of Orgeat, all I have is my own homemade stuff, because all I can find is Fees and that rotgut went down the drain. And the limes I get in New England are probably very different than the selection you have in Cali. So we probably already have other differences anyway.

Dilution of water or shaved ice is VERY important to the final result of a mai tai, and can also 'make' or 'break' it. Using Appleton and Myers and Triple Sec, fresh lime juice and orgeat syrup (and don't forget the mint!), I've made mai tais for those who hate sweet tropical drinks, and was applauded by them for my mai tai -- especially when they asked for a second. Ingredients are very important. But one must also know the process of proper measurement.

Scottes, Do they not sell Orgeat syrup in the aisles where coffee is sold in New England, like they do on the West Coast? I lived in the tiny village of Wells, Maine for six months, a few years ago, and I could've sworn the grocery store I shopped at did have a small variety of coffee/Italian soda syrups. But I could be wrong, as I didn't buy any Orgeat during the winter when I was there.

S

On 2007-03-14 06:13, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
Ingredients are very important. But one must also know the process of proper measurement.

Agreed, but if all the Mai Tais are made the same - except for the orange - then the comparison should be the same. If one can't consistently make a good Mai Tai then using this drink for a comparison of orange liqueurs will probably be less than ideal, perhaps even meaningless.

On 2007-03-14 06:13, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:
Scottes, Do they not sell Orgeat syrup in the aisles where coffee is sold in New England, like they do on the West Coast?

I have only found 1 almond syrup in such searches. It was not a name known to me even after all my searching about Mai Tai recipes. I was not impressed with the ingredient list - HFCS and "natural flavors" were included. It doesn't make sense to me to use a no-name almond syrup which has HFCS, especially when I can make a damned good Orgeat using organic cane sugar, high-quality organic almond extract, and Montreaux Orange Flower Water. I spent less time making a batch of Orgeat than searching for Orgeat or almond syrup.

Again this falls into consistently making a drink using quality ingredients. HFCS is not a quality ingredient. By making my own Orgeat - a very simple process - I get to adjust it to the way I like my Mai Tai. For instance my current batch has too much sugar, so that a Mai Tai with Appleton VX & Myers Dark is too sweet for me. It works very well with a Mai Tai made with a Appleton Extra and Clement VSOP - but this pairing makes my Mai Tais twice the price as yours. In the end, homemade Orgeat allow me another control point in the balance of the Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Scottes 2007-03-14 06:40 ]

Not to derail the topic here, but homemade orgeat sounds very interesting. What recipe do you use Scottes?
As for store bought orgeat, I've found that the Torani brand (for italian sodas or coffee) is as good as the Trader Vics. Although, I must confess, I've never read the ingredient list. What is HFCS, anyway?

So, back on topic. Scottes makes a good point. I could use nothing but Barbados rum in my Mai Tai, but I could still make judgments about what each orange liqueur does to my particular recipe, and how the overall taste is affected. Even though I might be using a different recipe than someone else, I think I could still tell you that Triple Sec makes for a sweeter drink than Curacao. So in that sense, as long as a bastard Mai Tai is made consistently, then rum choice should have a smaller impact on the orange liqueur hoe-down throw-down.

S

HFCS = High Fructose Corn Syrup (aka "Yuch")

Homemade Orgeat:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21769&forum=10&hilite=orgeat
There are a few recipes and methods in there. I posted a long reply on page 2 concerning what I did.

Don't shoot me I'm only a mug collector. Can't find Orgeat 40 min. south of the San Fernando Valley either, it's just tough to find good stuff anyway & I'm not buying a mix so, I cheat there as well.. I use something like that homemade concoction above and add a bit of Disaronno...

On 2007-03-13 19:36, hiltiki wrote:
Ok, so exactly what are we doing and when?

Well..... lets start with the basic components of the liquors in question. Then we can move up to the drink comparisons. Then we can move up to the Mine-is-better-than-yours discussions. Then we can move up to the drunken brawl. Then we can all go back to the bar and buy another round for everybody!

Wait, that souds like St. Patrick's Day weekend....

A basic desription of each of the liquors in question....

Gran Marnier (pronounced like Grand without the D, Mon like the beginning of Monday, Yeah like yippee. Not a pefect pronuncuation, but close enough for our comparisons)

Gran Marnier is a brandy (congac) based liqueur bottled in France. It is steeped with 'Wild tropical Oranges' as well as a secret blend of herbs and spices. The most common bottling you can find is 40% ABV. There is a 'better version' at 48% or higher with a red-lable but I have never been able to find it. The bottle makes a nice visual addition to most any bar.

Curaçao (pronounced like Cure, short A, sow like saying ow that hurt with an s in front of it)

Curacao was originally produced from the Larahas (originally valencia) oranges that were transplanted to the namesake Island from Spain and Portugal. Now many producers of Curacao use additional flavorings, for instance Bols is distilled from "the peel of the finest curacao oranges, valencia oranges and lemons."

Curacao is typically 30% ABV and naturally clear(ish). It is most commonly found in blue, but with some effort you can find red, green, or orange Curacao. Within the same brand there should be no difference in the taste regardless of the color.

Cointreau (pronounced Kwan like in tai-kwan-do, trow like throw minus the H)

Contreau is very similar to Gran Marnier in its manufacture but is Brandy based. It has been around since 1849 and was born in France (thus the brandy base). It is 40% ABV and flavored with both sweet and bitter oranges, we can assume the use of the Larahas oranges common to the orange liquors. It has the added bonus of the signature square bottle that makes a nice addition visually to your bar.

Triple Sec (pronounced triple as in three, sec as in wait a sec)

This term by itself means triple-dry, as in not very sweet. In regards to the liquors it means triple-distilled, or triple brewed. It is both a type/brand of liquor as well as a general category term for all of the ingredients in this dicussion, but we will stick to Triple-Sec the ingredent. Most Triple-Secs are clear and average at 30% ABV, but I have seen brands as high as 45% ABV.

That covers the basics to our ingredient discussion. I know there are more ingredients out there, like Patronage, so I am hoping that someone else can add the missing information.

Now that we have the basics and are all calling the same things the same things..... Lets Drink! :drink:

S

I have a cold, and I can't taste anything. I'm going to have to wait a few days. :(

So your advise Chip & Andy for the best replacements for the Orgeat & also the Orange Curacao??

T

Chip and Andy--
check out http://www.hitimewine.net for the extra types of Grand Marnier. I've seen them there. There are actually three types--
The regular old basic stuff is about $30 for a fifth

The next step up is this:
GRAND MARNIER 100YR
Our Price: $115.99
A very unique blend of Grande & Petite Champagne Brandies with the zest of fresh tropical oranges.
Created in the 1927 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the company. Beautifulle sweet and smooth with hints of dark chocolate, cinnamon, tangerine, spices and curaco.

And here's the last:
GRAND MARNIER 150YR 750
Our Price: $169.99!!!!!!!

If anyone ever tries the stuff for $170, let me know how it is!

Cointreau and Grand Marnier are really meant to be sipping liqueurs and shouldn't be compared to the quality of Triple Sec Vs. Curacao, which can be sipped, of course, but which are designed more for the cocktail. And Grand Marnier isn't quite like Cointreau, is it? It certainly isn't like Triple Sec. Cointreau is closer in flavour to Triple Sec than Grand Marnier.

I look at Triple Sec and Curacao as being the standard vermouth for the tropical libation -- one being twice the price (if not more) than the other, but bearing little difference (other than brand) in taste. These two liqueurs definitely SHOULD be compared. However, I certainly would never (even if the recipe called for it) put something as expensive as Cointreau or Grand Marnier in one of my tropical cocktails. But that's me.

Still, I should be interested in hearing any opinions of the difference in flavour in a cocktail made with Cointreau and the same drink made with Triple Sec.

But I still stand to my ground about Triple Sec Vs. Curacao: though some are a bit sweeter and some contain a bit more alcohol, in a cocktail with several different ingredients there is no difference of taste, just a difference in price and label.

Interestingly enough, I was at the liquor store last night and found that the Bols Blue Curacao was nigh $5 less than the Bols regular Curacao. Usually it is the other way round. Perhaps blue cocktails in Northern regions are not favourable this time of year, hence the low price.

Lastly, here's a question I put to all of you. How does one know for sure that these liqueurs are made the way they say they are made? Ingredients are not listed on the bottle, nor do I believe are required to be listed on the bottle. Where's the authenticity? The same could be said of licorice liqueurs (which, may I say, YUCKO!). Then there's all the Port and Sherry wines -- all proportedley the same, but of different said quality; and yet the more expensive Portugal imports can taste just the same as an inexpensive domestic.

O

Here are two bottles from Hiram Walker, Curacao and Triple Sec that are close in price. This is probably available everywhere. How about if we use these with medium priced rums like Meyers , Appleton and key limes for our trials? We had some great original mai tai's at Trader Vic's on St. Patrick's day and I'm ready to mix.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 13:36 ]

On 2007-03-19 13:20, Ojaitimo wrote:
Here are two bottles from Hiram Walker, Curacao and Triple Sec that are close in price.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 13:22 ]

Thanks for the pics. The liquor stores in Seattle (at least the two I shop at in West Seattle) have very little variety for Curacao. In fact, I usually see only Bols (unless the other brand(s) sell out before my visits). During the warmer months more varieties may appear, but it is otherwise limiting.

I really like Hiram Walker's Triple Sec, and often buy it; but have yet to taste (or be given the opportunity to buy) HM's Curacao. Now, as far as the orange liqueur throw-down goes, I think comparing the flavour of these in a blind sipping taste test, then comparing them mixed in the same mai tai would be most revealing.

Other than Mp3 samples, another thing lacking on TC is VTT (Virtual Taste Testing).

O

I forgot to mention that when I bought the bottle of Triple Sec at Beverages and More I spotted this bottle of Grand Chevalier by Gaetano and was told it is like Grand Marnier for about $13 instead of $35. for 750ml. I don't feel right about using expensive liquors for mixing so I picked up a bottle to try in mai tais after several of you mentioned you used GM in your mai tais. Close to the real deal at a third the price and quite nice.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 14:03 ]

On 2007-03-19 13:55, Ojaitimo wrote:
I forgot to mention that when I bought the bottle of Triple Sec at Beverages and More I spotted this bottle of Grand Chevalier by Gaetano and was told it is like Grand Marnier for about $13 instead of $35. for 750ml. I don't feel right about using expensive liquors for mixing so I picked up a bottle to try in mai tais after several of you mentioned you used GM in your mai tais. Close to the real deal at a third the price and quite nice.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-19 14:03 ]

Very nice. Myself, I'd like to try that.

Basically when I provoked the whole orange liqueur throw-down, what I meant was that one needn't invest in expensive liqueurs, simply because the original recipe indicates so to do, when there are equally compatible good quality liqueurs at half the price. A great deal of wine drinkers could learn from this, as well.

Another issue is the 'All Natural Flavours'. Once again, who knows what the 'All Natural Flavours' are? Oranges, obviously. But what else? And from where? Though some labels give a run down of the traditional processing of the liqueur, there remains no ingredients list.

Have any of you TC'ers noticed the trend of '100% juice' posted on certain fruit juices -- frozen, cold, or room temperature? Yet when one examines the ingredients of these containers, one will often find apple and/or grape juice listed as a component -- even though the juice is marketed as Grapefruit Juice, Pineapple juice, or Pineapple Orange Juice, etc. I mention this as I don't think anybody is qualified (unless one works at one of the locations that make such liqueurs) to make a statement of what types of ingredients -- orange peels from a certain region, a certain type of oranges, etc -- are actually used to produce such liqueurs. Except when it comes to taste and price, we're all equally ignorant of such knowledge.

[ Edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2007-03-19 14:27 ]

On 2007-03-19 14:26, DJ Terence Gunn wrote:

Another issue is the 'All Natural Flavours'. ... there remains no ingredients list.

... I mention this as I don't think anybody is qualified (unless one works at one of the locations that make such liqueurs) to make a statement of what types of ingredients -- orange peels from a certain region, a certain type of oranges, etc -- are actually used to produce such liqueurs. Except when it comes to taste and price, we're all equally ignorant of such knowledge.

Exactly!

And that is one of the reasons I love TC. I have a few things on my bar that I like. I find out that several other people in here like the same (or similar things) and I am reasonably sure when they recommend something that I will like it. The reverese is true as well, if I hate something someone else is going on about how great it is I will listen to thier advice with much skepticism.

And that is precisely what makes challenges like this one so much fun. The major players may agree and disagree about certain parts/brands/styles/recipes, but those following along at home can learn much at the same time by both our agreements and our disagreements.

Ojaitimo, tell us about the Grand you found. I know it is outside the 'norm,' but being orange-based what better place to chat it up.

Now..... if we can just get Hanford to put that VTT mod in place this would be much more entertaining.... :wink:

And, more directly to the challenge......

May I suggest that we start with a very simple cocktail like a classic Margarita?

1 Part Lime, 2 Parts Orange Liqur, 3 parts Tequila.

Basic cocktial and the simplicity of it brings out the best (and worst) of the flavors in question. I have found that a silver (anejo) tequila showcases the orange a bit better. For those playing along make a cocktail with each of your orange variants and report your findings. For those of you with only one orange option on your bar you will just have to make two or three with what you have to keep up.

We can then move up to more complicated/complex cocktails....

I say Game-On unless someone has a better idea.....

To the Bar! I mean Lab! Yeah! To the LAB!

Igor, more limes

O

About the Grand Chevalier. It is produced and bottled by Gaetano Specialties, LTD, Princeton, MN

Grand Chevalier Liquer 750ml made with natural orange flavor and fine brandy. 80 proof
$13. at Beverages and More

Just tried some straight, I'm not much of a brandy drinker but it tastes alot like Grand Marnier only thinner and less rich if thats the right way to describe it. But it is still very good and I like it. I have used Grand Marnier in mai tai's like some of you a few times but cringed at wasting it in a mixed drink. Grand Chevalier tastes the same in a drink for a third the price but it lacks the peel taste so I will stick with curacao.

DJ, sorry to hear you have such a problem in Washington State. It's easy to take things for granted living here and I can't imagine what it is like to get hard to find items. If I makes it to the Shrunken Head Lounge soon I'll bring some items that we have here in California. Just don't ask for Pimento Liquer, Ok?

All the world is a stage and all men and women merely players, they have their entrances and exits and one man in his life plays many parts. William Shakespere

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-26 20:13 ]

O

Why wasn't homework ever this fun when I was in school? Probably because harvey Wallbangers were cool?

On 2007-03-19 16:01, Ojaitimo wrote:
DJ, sorry to hear you have such a problem in Washington State. It's easy to take things for granted living here and I can't imagine what it is like to get hard to find items. If I makes it to the Shrunken Head Lounge soon I'll bring some items that we have here in California. Just don't ask for Pimento Liquer, Ok?

One thing we're certainly not lacking here in Seattle is coffee/Italian soda syrups. They're everywhere! That's something I certainly would take for granted when I would go elsewhere.

When it comes to what specific liquor stores will carry what, I'm not sure if it is all of Washington, or if it is regional by city. I've seen in the past in local liquor stores larger selections of orange liqueurs, so I'm not sure if the supply is based on popularity of sale or trend or what have you. Nevertheless, I'm not too broken up about it. I'm quite happy with my Hiram Walker Triple Sec and Bols Curacao.

On 2007-03-19 19:02, Ojaitimo wrote:
Why wasn't homework ever this fun when I was in school? Probably because harvey Wallbangers were cool?

Dont be dis'en the Wallbangers! They are a lot more fun to order in a crowded bar than a Slow-Comfortable-Screw-On-The-Beach.

Besides, we can't call this homework. If it was homework some people(the dumb ones) would pay other people(the nerdy smart ones) to copy thier answers while riding the bus to school. And we all know what happens to cheaters..........

Research. We have to call it Research because it sounds like more fun and if done very carefully we can write it off on our taxes. Or maybe someday we can start the Donn Beach Institute for Mixology and give research grants to up-and-coming bartenders........

Andy just reminded me that some people may have, umm.... Lets call it an 'alergic' reaction to tequilia. For those of you who fall into this category, you can make the same ratio cocktial using Vodka. Your orange and lime flavors will come up quite a bit, but that may make comparisions a bit easier.

I was yesterday in the smaller of the two liquor stores I shop in, and once again noticed only Bols Curacao. However, the Triple Sec brands available consisted of Bols, Hiram Walker, Monarch, Potters, and DeKuyper. I scratch my head in confusion as to the necessity for so many -- especially as Monarch and Potters are the basement of bottom shelf liquors and liqueurs.

Why DeKuyper Curacao is not featured in the liquor stores I shop in is beyond me. ('Course, there are many others round here, and perhaps their selection may be broader.) Comparing DeKuyper -- the original Curacao used in Victor's mai tai -- to Hiram Walker triple sec (much less in price) seems the most feasible of taste tests for cocktail-based orange liqueurs, in both sipping and mixed into a tropical drink.

T

I am ashamed to say, I have no Tequila. Wait! That's not true. I think there's some hiding in my liquor cabinet. Well, one of them anyway.
Margaritas!
Wait! I am out of limes! Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

S

If I can ever get rid of this cold, I will be tasting each orange liqueur individually and comment on each. Then I will make two version of the same cocktail - one with the best orange liqueur, and one with the worst. If I can not notice a difference I will comment and quit the test. Otherwise I will proceed comparing in some ordered fashion (like 2 curacaos one night, and 2 triple secs the next night - or maybe the best curacao vs the best triple sec).

As to the cocktail, I'm not sure yet. I also don't think the Mai Tai is a good cocktail to use for a comparison, but I will certainly try 2 Mai Tais at some point. But the margarita is a great idea, and a good reason for me to pick up a bottle of Sauza Hornitos.

H

Ok, I am feeling better after being sick for what seems an eternity.
I will first make a margarita with the exact recipe from Chip and Andy.
I am using Don Julio Blanco ( it is the only silver bottle I have open for now). And I am using Grand Marnier Liquor and fresh lime juice. Mmmm, tastes wonderful. I will get back to you in a few min. and try a cheap ass version and see the difference.

H

Ok, I am feeling pretty good now. My second one consists of Don Julio Blanco, Hiram Walker Orange Curacao, fresh lime. Smells good, however it is not as sweet as the last one. And it is not as flavorful. I has a completely different taste and flavor. A little flat, if that makes any sense. I don't like it as much. Well maybe I will make a third one, hang on you guys. I am sure I will be pretty drunk by then. I will be back soon.

H

Ayyy carumba, I can't believe I am doing this being a lightweight and all. Ok here we go. My third attempt. I cut the recipe in half. :o
I am using Don Julio Blanco, Bols Triple sec and fresh lime. Ayyyy Daumm...
It smells funny , actually it smells bad I don't like the smell. I don't like the taste, it is off and nasty. Yuk, I am not finishing this drink, it sucks! I am throwing this drink down the sink, bye bye drink..
The horror..
However I will try one more drink...hmmm should I go with Patron Citronge or my all time favorite...forever yummy Cointreau....I will let you know in a little while. The suspense is killing me.

H

Yes I decided to try the Cointreau, and the Don Julio Blanco and fresh lime bla bla bla..
Since I didn't really drink much of the last one I am good to go.
Orange smell is very strong in this mix. Maybe a little too sweet. It tastes good but not as good as the Grand Marnier. I am not sure if it is because I have had a few that it tastes real sweet. I would like to add some more lime juice to this and see...well I added more lime and it is MUCH better.3 parts tequila, 2 parts orange liquor, 2 parts lime juice for this one.
This is all I am going to drink, hope it was as much fun for you all as it was for me.:) :) :) :) ( Of course there is no one around and I am talking to myself and my imaginary TC friends).

There is definitely a great difference in taste with each orange liquor, I can tell the difference with every drink.But I can't remember the point of the test now. Bye everyone.

Thanks Hiltiki! So which drink was your favorite margarita?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-03-24 22:36 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 135 replies