Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki-Mania.... A little Dirk Yates goodness by me.

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies

So, it's been a Long time since I actually posted any Art up here. Been quite busy. Always missing out on the festivities at the Tonga Hut because of my other work. So many Mugs and prints to buy, and so little Money.

But I digress. Here's some stuff I've been working on for quite some time. One of these I posted before, but a different version. So here's my Tiki Madness. Most of these I've inked up already, and will have those scans in later this week.

Enjoy

I'll post some more stuff up as soon as I get them done.

[ Edited by: TiKiMaN77 2011-07-13 18:48 ]

[ Edited by: TiKiMaN77 2014-06-05 19:20 ]

[ Edited by: TiKiMaN77 2014-06-26 01:35 ]

M

Very, Very nice work there Tikiman! I beleive you have posted other work before yes?

Mahalo

McTiki

Yeah. The second to last one I posted way back, but had to redo her (twice in fact) to make the Pic work. Posted a few more as well, but I'll repost them when the Inks are finished.

H

saaaa-weeeeet! Adding color?

Very seductive.....nice job....keep em coming. :tiki:

Holy crap, that is some great stuff! I wish I could draw.

Yeah, the colors will be coming soon. Just have to make copies of the Inks. Won't be doing the colors myself though...being color blind kinda keeps me from doing all that. It's why I stopped painting 11 years ago after high school. When and I can get these colored, I'll post them up here too.

Thanks for the Kind words guys.

Great work Tikiman77!
The girls have that "Witchblade" comic feel to them! Can't wait to see these finished up! Judging from the detail in your drawings,I guess being colorblind allowed to look at forms and textures more! I knew and know 2 colorblind artists who seems to get along quite well with that condition...Have you just tried tonal renderings using just a sepia or gray? Enough blabbin'. Beautiful work and Welcome Back! :)

C

Very nice! Can't wait to see more!

Want More??? Here ya go.

The Inks.....

I've got several more I'm still working on, pencil and Ink wise, so as soon as I can get some done, I'll continue posting them up here. See if I can get this thread up past 2 pages for once. And if I can get these colored, I'll defiantely post them up here for ya'z.

Welp, I've thought about doing Grey tones, mostly with Pencil of course, but really haven't had the time to sit down and work on tonal variations using different leads. Saw a Pic last night on Comicartfans.com where someone drew a topless Island girl (blonde of course) with a Lai over most of her breasts, and well designed tiki behind her...kinda sparked the creative juices for me to do something like that...something more Life-like, rather than Comic bookish. Now I just gotta find some reference for something like that.

Here's the latest piece for ya'll to see. It took me quite a while because of some perspective issues. But I'm happy with it. Can't wait to ink it and see it colored.

Latest stuff. The pics that actually got the ball rolling with this whole project. More to come in the coming weeks.

T

Latest piece to add. Not that anyone's really paying any attention....but what the hell.

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 8:39 PM

Some really nice stuff in there :D Personally I really like this one because there is nothing 'modern' in there - who knows what time this is from? Is she the only survivor from a wrecked trading ship?

Really love to see some period style stuff, like a chick with a vintage pirate pistol and some traditional pacific style tatts - like she's a pirate on the run who was befreinded by an island of locals :D Or some stuff where instead of those new guns, she has like a warclub like something Basement Kahuna would make!

But ultimately do whatever makes you tick and have fun with it!

The coolest tiki art is not bought on ebay, it comes personally from my fellow artists on TC

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-05-03 20:40 ]

Well, you're in luck because I've got several ideas Without any New-fangled gadgets that could be taken as period related stuff, and one I jsut an idea for was Pirate based. Just gotta get the others outta my system before I go to work on them. The next piece I jsut started today has a BUNCH of Tiki mugs in it though.....for all you Mug lovers out there. It's gonna be fun. Lookin' forward to workin on it.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 11:11 PM

Unfortunately I see a lot of threads in the non-carving side of creating that don't seem to get many responses, even though they are chock-full of cool stuff like this one. Maybe more info in your title may get more feedback as I know there are plenty of comics fans on TC, myself included.
Anyway, I really like these vignettes and would like to see more. My favourite is the same as hewey's...the style of the tiki, the composition and the character all merge seamlessly to create a mood.

Yeah, that's one of my favorites too. Took me while to do it, but once everything was said and done, it turned out better than I ever planned. Thank god for Photo references.

Hey Tikiman77! I used to work as a colorist for Marvel/Malibu comics back in the mid 90s and I would have KILLED to get a page like yours! Incredible design and linework! Nice!

T

Well, I have been trying to get these colored....if you're up to the task. Looking to get these on T-shirts for my CafePress store, but so far, all my colorist buddy's are busy with other stuff.

Let me know....I'd love to see what'cha can do, if you're interested.

C

These are all very cool, my own personal fave is the maiden standing before the
throng of leering tikis. Quite wonderful stuff and we might also like to view actual
photos of the models.

T

Why thank you. That one actually took me several months to do too. The original idea was to have her walking up to an alter with one of those little guys atop standing with a knife, ready for the sacrifice and a Large Snake like tiki statue behind the alter...like somehting outta Indiana Jones. Didn't work out though. This is the result of the 3rd attempt to come up with a working background for it. The torches themselves were one of the last things I did on it, because I wasn't too sure of what I wanted them to look like. Tried this design, and it worked. If you look really close on the right side of her with the other little guys there, you'll see Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley and Peter Chris Masks. As well and Mac Tonite, and Batman thrown in there.
My next one is her laying on a nech with Tiki mugs around her. Should prove fun. I'll post it up when I'm done.

As far as the Models go....well, I actually got the poses from a little Swimsuit calendar from SI. Tweaked some details here and there to make it my own, but it's the reference I've been using for this project.

Here ya go guys. The latest piece in my never ending quest to bring the TIKI to comics. Must admit that this piece came about from seeing all the AWESOME Mugs most of you folks post up that you've done. So this is kinda my way of saying "Thanks" for the inspiration.

Thanks guys. Enjoy

T

Latest Piece to add to the Mix. Expanded upon the previous large piece, and jsut simplified it all.

Enjoy

Haven't posted anything here for some time. Redid a previous Image here to make it hella easier to ink later when I have some time. Thought I'd psot thins here while I have a few minutes before I forget about it.

Gots another one coming soon. Just trying to finish some things up on it before I photocopy and scan her in.

Your art is absolutely beautiful. Any prints...or what are your plans....cause I am interested. And do keep posting even if you don't get replies...your work is awesome. :D

Why thank ya Vampy. This next one's gonna Blow your mind. almost finished with it, and can't wait to get it up here.
As far as Prints and stuff go, I'm waiting on some colorists I know to get off their butts and throw some colors on a few of these 'cuz I do wanna make some prints and get them up on T-shirts, and whatever else my Money needing brain can think of. I do wanna put together a Sketchbook too with all of these. Jsut gonna take forever to get that going.

LAtest piece to update you guys, and Gals, with. Started it the week of the San Diego Comic Con., but wasn't able to finish it...until yesterday.

Now, someone had mentioned doing a Pirate piece of her, and thus....the Newest peice I'm doing is Pirate related. So tahnk you. It's been on my mind for quite some time, and I'm going full steam ahead with it.

That last piece is by far the best yet. Good places for eye to rest, good composition, great drawing, and believable space. Too cool! Nice rework going on above also.

ST

Hey Sneaky, thanks for the comments. Does my heart good to know people are diggin these as much as I am.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 11:47 PM

Yeah that last one's a cracker! All of the last few were sweet, but the new piece is really on another level. I so badly want to see these coloured up - they'd be mindblowing with some moody lighting.
I'm surprised teaKEY hasn't stopped by to count those mugs yet (or the skulls)!

R

Ooh I really love your linework, and I agree the last one is really sweet lookin!

Ever going to color these in? :D if so, poooost! :D

thanks guys. Took me frickin' long 'nough to get it done. and yeah, I do plan on getting these colored...if I can find someone who wants to do the deed. Oh that sounded so wrong.

But yes, this one will look awesome with some moody coloring added to it. Now if I can get past this aversion I have towards inking my latest stuff. Definately want to see this one ( the latest of course) in a glossy print. That'll be Bitchin'.

T

So, it's been quite a while since I last posted something. Time was not much of a friend to me in the last month and half, so taking a small break, I decided I'd get this one scanned in and up here as soon as possible. My attempt at a somewhat Period piece. Let me know what'cha think.

T

And While I'm at, the best 50 Bucks I'm spending so far.

Colored by the Lovely and Talented Carly "Superchica" Spade.

Excellent!!!

Latest Pirate piece. Didn't go too into details with this one, and the details I did put in didn't copy very well, but you'll see them in the Inks, eventually. I'm also thinking of turning these into a Calender concept I've not seen before, but I don't collect calenders so, I could be wrong.

Enjoy guys.

Very Cool stuff tikiman.....Would love to see more of these in color.....the detail is great!!!

Welp, it's taken a while, but I've finally managed to get the inks done on this one. The paper was shit cuz of my hand always going over it, thus wearing it away, and all the erasing I did working on it. But here she is, in all her Inked up glory.

And here's another of my latest. Call her "Little Ms. Muffit", for obvious reasons. Need some advice on doing some Webbing in the background that looks like a Tiki's head, ala "Charlotte's Web". Tried it, didn't work. If anyone, ANYONE has any thoughts or ideas, let me know please. For now, I'm just gonna leave it blank.

Latest Toon inspired piece I managed to get finished while I have some time to kill. May get to ink it before next month, but taht's getting a little ahead of myself.

Enjoy guys. And of course, let me know what'cha think.

Very nice, very sexy.

Thanks Rob. Glad you like it. I've actually got another piece to put up here a bit later tonight that I managed to finish up this afternoon. Suprised I managed to get 2 done in less than 2 days.

And here's the latest one to add to the Madness. Finished it earlier, but the damn Kinkos closes early on Saturday, and so does Staples. How the HELL are people who run businesses on the Weekends supposed to get work done when all the Business supply company's close early???

But luckily, there is a 24 Hour Kinkos here in Burbank. So it's all good, in a way. hopefully I'll have some time this coming week to get some inking done and get those up here too.

And this took me less than 2 days to do. New record.

beautiful illustration, and god bless that 24 hour kinkos!

B

Your detail and textures are awesome. I like them in black and white line art, but the colorized on was nice too.

Very cool artist lives here!!!Aloha Mooney

Why thank ya Mooney.

And BG. Thanks for the comment. I've had to kill myself in learning to do really detailed backgrounds over the years. though when getting to inking them, I'd rather just kill myself so I never have to do it again. And you'll see why when I finish up my inks on the "Queen of the Damned" piece soon. All Hunt 102 Crow Quill and a Winsor Newton Series seven #2 brush and Speedball Ink.

Pages: 1 2 3 123 replies