Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego/Temecula Chop - May 19, 2007

Pages: 1 2 3 4 152 replies

Here is my chopchop guy FINALLY done...

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 4:28 PM

That guy is red faced and has butt-burn. Extra-extra hot sauce on the burrito, hombre?

I love how he's wearing a mask. And wearing a pendant! Maybe instead of the pendant he could be wearing a bottle of "Dave's After-Death Sauce".

Cool carving, you got instinct and guts dude.

On 2007-04-10 13:13, Clysdalle wrote:

This was such a cool design. Great to see him all finished and mold-free.

Will there be pendants like his on Saturday???

On 2007-04-10 18:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2007-04-10 13:13, Clysdalle wrote:

This was such a cool design. Great to see him all finished and mold-free.

Will there be pendants like his on Saturday???

Thanks guys....mmmmm burrittooooooos....

and yes I will have the resin skulls in a variety of colors besides the red and white.....

B

Hey All,

Whens the next Chop?

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Apr 19, 2007 9:31 AM

Hey Babalu -

I think they were saying May 19th, which will avoid May 26th; Memorial Day weekend.

B there or B square!

woohoooooo..............make it done!

B

Wheelers casa?

If a location has not been set yet? I would be willing to host it up here in Temecula?

C

Thanks for offering, TKMek!

You guys fight it out. If we did it up in Temecula, we could do a quick winery tour at the end of the day, we could hit three wineries in less than an hour... hmmm....

By the way, Cilurzo Winery in Temecula is owned and operated by the guy who did the cinematography & lighting for most of Frank Sinatra's TV specials, among other things. He was the original genius of set lighting in the classic live era of 60's TV. His winery is very bare-bones, I think it was one of the first in the area.

I say yeay... I like Temecula!!! (that way maybe I can finally make it to a chop...)

M

well, we had mentioned before that we'd keep it at 4WD's until he had to move, since it's such an easy location with minimal clean up. We don't really know how long that's going to be, but it looks like it could be a while, so I'd be up for thinking about additional places. We have had a lot of other offers for locations, so maybe we should go though, see who's still interested in hosting, and then decide from there.

Let's make a master list of all possible locations, then we can trim it down for each month.
I can remember:
4WD's
Babalu's
My house
Tikimecula's
hiltiki (orange county)

Any others?

I'm not in a hurry to host again, but I would like to. Cam was mentioning a post carving drinking night with classic cocktails, and my husband and I would love to host that.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2007 7:52 PM

Classic Cocktails at Mieko and Hubbie's?

YES!!!!!! My 1935 drink guide is open and READY!

But if Tikimecula is into it, maybe his place would be fun for a change. A wine tour after would be pretty cool. He looks like he has a really nice backyard with bamboo and palms and stuff. Love to see the digs.

I have no idea how to resolve this. It's too hard on my brain.

I love having it at my place, but I think it would be good to shake it up and have it somewhere fresh! I have been thinking it's in danger of becoming 'stale' and 'routine', so I'm all for a change of location for a time or two. :) :tiki: :)

Despite the fact that I'm pretty comfy at Bill's place, I'd be up for a change. Plus Temecula's closer to my neck of the woods.

I think we should do Mieko's in the summer when it's warm enough to camp out in her back yard after all the drinking. :wink:

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 9:14 AM

So, maybe Tikimecula's next in May,

and then Mieko's for June to open up the summer with a classic drinks after-party,

then either 4WD's or Babalu's for July?

and if Buzzy is feeling spry, he was talking about having a campout at his place some time, maybe August... four months away, that would give him just enough time to clean up his back yard...

Does that schedule sound good???

B

Fellow Choppers....

I would be fun to put my pad into the line up of places somewhere...just say when.

Temecula would be cool...some of you LA crew should join in...we are starting to circle the wagons quite a bit closer to you all now.

I think it would be fun to follow up with Buzzy's idea on the "Carving Camp Out" this summer...that sounds like a hoot and a holler as well.

Good times...good times...

On 2007-04-23 09:14, Cammo wrote:
So, maybe Tikimecula's next in May,

and then Mieko's for June to open up the summer with a classic drinks after-party,

then either 4WD's or Babalu's for July?

and if Buzzy is feeling spry, he was talking about having a campout at his place some time, maybe August... four months away, that would give him just enough time to clean up his back yard...

Does that schedule sound good???

I thought August's Chop was at the Hanalei.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 4:36 PM

I thought it might be fun to have a low-key Chop the August weekend before the Hanalei Oasis event, to firm up plans and talk over any questions, etc. that come up.

One day of the Oasis it might be fun to have a team chop, with everybody working on the same Tiki, a half hour at a time in rotation for example.

Also, the weekend before if anybody needs wood we could hunt some down. Just trying to think ahead.

On 2007-04-23 16:36, Cammo wrote:
I thought it might be fun to have a low-key Chop the August weekend before the Hanalei Oasis event, to firm up plans and talk over any questions, etc. that come up.

One day of the Oasis it might be fun to have a team chop, with everybody working on the same Tiki, a half hour at a time in rotation for example.

Also, the weekend before if anybody needs wood we could hunt some down. Just trying to think ahead.

i know there was a lot of discussion about this and if we wanted to do the chop at oasis...what does everyone think? ...and this can be done off line at the next chop so we can speak freely and discuss ideas...

B

On 2007-04-09 17:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Dave -- The slip casting demo was awesome. You do fantastic work. Any chance of a mold making demo in the future?

Yes, but to make a mold will take a good part of the day. It'll be a mold-mold instead of a chop-chop. Hee-hee.

Here is what I propose to anyone who's interested in learning how to make a slip cast mold: Get your design worked out in whatever material you work with (clay, wood, ..) and remember, no undercuts.

I'm assuming it's mugs that people want to make? I could do the demo on somebody's piece, or if there is going to be several, maybe everybody can follow along on their own piece as we go.

We'll need a bag of plaster, which if divided up between several mold makers will only cost a few bucks each. We also might need some wet-clay for building separation walls. I've got everything else we'll need.

Whadaya say?!

Bill, how's the slip-casting I left from last time doing?

So are we on for May 19th at tikimecula's?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Apr 30, 2007 9:27 AM

Let's just have a I'M IN count.

I'M IN. See ya in Temecula, thanks TMec.

I hope it's the 19th...that's what I wrote down! I'm in!

could I join in?

Amy

everyone is welcome!!!! come on down!!!

I still have the 19th set aside to do this. So give me a list and I'll PM everyone directions.

I'm in....

Hum...looks like it may work for me too.

M
mieko posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 10:17 AM

I should be able to be there. Let us know what time is good. :) I'm assuming potluck like normal, I'll bring spam musubi and see what else I can do.

I'll definitely be there.

B
Babalu posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 2:32 PM

TEMECULA!!! Here we come! I'm in.

Dav, I'm really interested in the demo man...Problem is that I don't have anything that I can ready quick enough to cast...Is there any chance I could talk you guys into holding off on this demo until the following month? We could even do it at my pad if you want?...I have a huge 4.5' x 12' table in my studio that might be perfect for this demo. My studio is really not used for clay anymore so I would not need to worry about infecting the clay with plaster. Use the back yard for carving.

Looking forward to the wine country!...any Hotels close by?

Mekio, could you bring your knifes again? I want to pick your brain about them a little more.

I should be there.

And we already have a volunteer for June! :up:

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 4:34 PM

Babs, can you please bring your power tools??? Please??? I have a piece that will be one big sweeping curve, it would be a nightmare with chisels, but maybe easy with power. Any advice is appreciated.

And Mieko never goes anywhere without her knives!

MN

I should make it.

M
Moki posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 6:34 PM

We're in, but we'll be traveling light (no stands).

B
Babalu posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 7:07 PM

Can do Cam. mmmmmm....power tools!

will bring stand and goodies of some kind?

Hey, Mr. NoNaMe!

All Sounds good, depending on weather, we might need some Ez-Ups? I have 1 and could probably get 1 more.

MN

Hey Tiki Mec.
How far from Vail Lake are you? I may bring my mountain bike and do a ride before the chop.

Hey Babalou!!!! Dig it...just saw Sabath/Dio with Hodadhank. Rockin, man!

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-05-02 04:09 ]

B
Bowana posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 8:30 PM

On 2007-05-01 14:32, Babalu wrote:
...Is there any chance I could talk you guys into holding off on this demo until the following month? We could even do it at my pad if you want?...

Yes, that's fine, Babalu. Having it at your place is cool too. Sounds like you've got a good set up.

Plus, I'm not sure I can make it to the Chop this month. Andymecula, would you please PM me the directions anyways just in case?

On 2007-05-01 19:55, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:.
Hey Babalou!!!! Dig it...just saw Sabath/Dio with Hodadhank. Rockin, man!

Cool, Erik! Sabbath has always been one of my faves. I'm checkin' out the Tool show on Thursday. Rock hard!

MN

I'm checkin' out the Tool show on Thursday. Rock hard!

I wanna see Tool again.

B
Babalu posted on Wed, May 2, 2007 9:35 PM

Hey Tikimec,

Just got through cruising around in your thread over in carving….man, I really like your work. I can’t wait to pick your brain a little at the next Chop. Thanks for hosting.

Eric,

Geez…I really am turning into a caner…The last time I saw Sabbath, I think it was 1975…Hell, Ozzy seemed old then.

If the date and location are set, can we start a new offical thread?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, May 4, 2007 8:52 AM

Hey, I'm selling my (unused) hook knife set. Comes with three extra blades. 20 clams. Will bring it to the next Chop.

Turns out I love working BIG.

4WD's right, somebody should start a new thread! If Tikimecula is too busy to do it (and that guy is one busy bro) maybe just rename this one???

AND - I came across these real Tiki pendants in a strange way. Was looking for something else at an antique shop I've been going to for years, and offhandedly asked them if they have any Tiki stuff. First time I ever asked them this. Mostly they carry teacups and old postcards. The owner looked at me really strangely and brought out this;

He said he got a few of these in New Guinea years ago, from a dealer there. He had wanted to get large pieces, but these were the only things small enough to bring back easily. They were made by New Guinea medicine men to ward off bad spirits. They're about 90 years old, maybe more. 1890's to 1920, latest.

Here's a side shot;

They're mounted from a carved ring at the feet, hung upside down around the neck so when the wearer looks at it they can flip it upright; it's not for display, but to be used.

It's also made out of the hardest dang wood I've seen, it's like black ironwood or something. Anyway, I'll bring it along too.

Don't you think it looks exactly like OTTO?

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-05-04 11:38 ]

I'm in!

Aw, man! I was hoping I could stop by this one, but my cousin's having a Christening that day & I'm taking my parents out to Dinner afterwards. :(

I just changed the thread title, so Andy, I hope it's official!

Thanks Bill, Yes we are a go for the 19th.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 152 replies