Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego/Temecula Chop - May 19, 2007

Pages: 1 2 3 4 152 replies

Just sent out the PM/directions, If anyone else needs them let me know.

See ya next Saturday!

Andy

Cool. I'll bring the cooler with water and sodas as well as the chocolate chocolate chocolate cookies.

Can't wait to see everyone. Feels like ages since the last Chop.

Got my PM.

If anyone wants to carpool, I have one seat. Maybe someone from down in SD wants to cut the distance in half?

I forgot to mention Ez-ups, for shade. If you have or can bring one it will be helpful.

What's the story on power tools? Chainsaws? Okay or not?

On 2007-05-13 10:59, 4WDtiki wrote:
What's the story on power tools? Chainsaws? Okay or not?

Bring em if ya got em!

Bump. :D

G
GROG posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 9:30 AM

You bastard. You shamelessly bumped this thread ahead of the Tonga Hut art show in California Events! Well, since your event is happening THIS weekend and the art show isn't until next weekend, we'll let you slide this time. But, don't let it happen again. :) (Man, the things GROG have to do to keep a thread up top to promote other people's damned art!)

M

Looking forward to it. I'd consider the carpool offer Bill, but since I'm off the 15, I think it's a bit too much out of the way. I can offer a ride to someone else off the 15 if anyone is interested. I usually manage to fill up my car, but I think I can travel light other than bringing my easy-up.

I think I'm finally going to be able to finish my tiki this weekend. Cant' wait!

B

I'm not going to be able to make it to this one, guys. :(

See ya at the next! :)

I think I am out as well. Well, not well. I am sick. Next time.

I'll be there....

B

Erick - Dave....sorry you two won't be there. We'll see you in June!...Have a good show Dave...Get better Erick!

I won't be there right at 9:00 am....but I'll be there.

Can't wait!

P

bring donuts. krispy kreme.

I'm in...
See you guys there.
Is it going to be hot out there?

Buzzy Out!

I'm only posting because I want to bump the tonga hut thread out of the number 1 spot.
Ha Ha loser second place Tonga Hut thread!

Buzzy Out!

I'll be there about noon-ish.

On 2007-05-18 22:34, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Is it going to be hot out there?

Yahoo! says it's going to be 84 degrees today. Not bad.

I'm getting the car all loaded up. I'll be there around 9:30 or 10ish.

P

how's cyclops?

B

Had a GREAT time all! Thanks Andy for hosting...your casa was outstanding! Your shop is to die for.

Aaron - how's your eye man? It sucks to take a chip to the ole socket like that...Hope your better now, we need you at the next Chop with two peepers working.

pdrake - I brought you some donuts bro....you need to make one of these Chops. I'll buy more.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 8:04 AM

I had forgotten how great a drive Temecula is.

First car on the road. Hey Dude, you going too?

You go up up up into the mountains.

At the top, the mountain is all boulders. Is that Wile E. Coyote I see up there with binoculars?

Then it turns into misty farmland.

Somebody's going ballooning. Good luck!

I took a wrong turn at the biggest damn BevMo on the planet.

Buzzy's flying in. See ya there, Buzz.

Almost there. Hi Mr. Farmer!

P

haha, how do you drive and take pictures.

i'll probably be at the next one.

home arron's okay.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 4:13 PM

Can somebody post Chop Chop pictures and news of Aaron? I stopped shooting pics the moment I got there.

Fo those who don't know, Aaron got a BIG splinter in his right eye at the Chop. He had to be rushed to the emergency room. It wasn't exactly a rush, more like he sat around for a while, flushed his eye, had some chips, then tried to drive to the hospital, stopped, got his wife to pick him up...

but what happened? Is he OK???

Yeah, update us, Aaron!

Cam, that first photo of the old Model A truck, I know that guy!

M
Moki posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 5:17 PM

I heard though the grapevine that the doctors removed the piece of wood from Aaron's eye and he should be fine. His eye is just a little irritated right now. But it would be nice to hear from him.

It was a rough day for some. I'll let you use your imagination as to what Clysdalle is saying after he hit his hand with his mallet.

And thank you Clysdalle for forgetting your musubi.....they were tasty :wink:

B

Looks like I really missed out!

Hoping for speedy recoveries, Dave and Aaron. I have smacked my hand with a mallet as well as had to go to the emergency room to have wood removed from my eye, but have never suffered from stolen Spam. :)

Hey guys, just got back from picking up my car & tools from T-Mec's place. The eye is O.K. today, just red & irritated and a little swollen. I re-learned a lesson I already knew - the hard way. Never take off your eye protection when using the grinder, no matter how hot & sweaty you are and even if it's only just for a minute. I finally got the wood chip removed around 8:00 last night, and let's just say it wasn't the most pleasant experience. Still a bit blurry, but I think it will be fine in a few days or so. Thanks guys for trying the "Clockwork Orange" home remedy, I think it almost worked! And thanks Moki & Dave for taking care of the car for me.

I actually had a great time before my little incident. Andy & Tina put on a great Chop; hats off to the hosts. And I got a nice consolation prize - when I showed up to get my tools, Andy had all my chisels sharpened! Thanks, Bro!! :)

Cheers,

A-A

M
mieko posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 7:26 PM

Glad to hear it's been taken care of Aaron, I was worried about you. Andy is a great host indeed, and I had a great time.
It was a great place to carve, and I have serious shed envy, and some yard envy as well. I'll get my pictures up soon, who's got the group shots?

Shed envy.... yep got that tool.... although it pales in comparison to the Sharpener Envy! Andy was a great host... I had a great time. Nice meeting new folks and seeing others again.

So.... wood chip to the eye gets my chisels sharpened, huh? Hmmm... OFF with the eye protection!!!!!!

We all brought our guns to the "country" yesterday

Tool envy

The layout

Davez Tikiz and Tikimeculs

Tikimecula roughing out one of Davez future projects

Cammo

Clysdalle and tiki kate

Cheekygirl and Tikikate

Onatiki and the okidoki tiki

Babalu

4WD

Moki and Mieko

Thanks to our host, I had a great time.
Glad to hear AA's OK.

Buzzy Out!

Thanks to everyone for coming up, Had a great time!

Shed envy? It's only 4 walls and a roof. :)

Sharpener info..... http://www.tormek.us/ for those who were interested. I love that thing! only had it a short while, but man it does the job quick.

Hope everyone had a good time out here in the "country".

C

Thanks a bunch for a perfect day of carving. TMekula basically didn't do anything all day but grill burgers for us and sharpen our tools. He's so cool.

Aaron seems fine, good. Lesson to us all. I got a sliver in the eye a few weeks ago and luckily it washed out (after a few hours) but now wear those yellow shooting glasses at all times. Aaron wasn't even working with palm wood, which is worse for little dry sharp slivers in the eyeballs.

Even taking the glasses off for a minute and wiping the sweat off your face can be dangerous - you're just spreading fine wood dust all over your eyes.

Anyway, thanks again!

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-05-21 05:23 ]

As always had a great time, always a pleasure to chat and visit with everyone.
Beautiful place to chop and a beautiful day.

A big thank you to our hosts.

And, I'm glad you're okay Aaron, that was a close one.

Thanks again, Andy. It was a great day.

Oki Doki with his temporary headdress

A San Diego Chop Chop Christmas Miraclepalooza: Cam starts a new piece.

Clysdalle is an angry, angry man.

T

First off, glad to hear Arons eye is recuperating. Quite bummed I missed the last couple chop/chops. It looks like another great time. I would be up to having another one up in OC again...any plans for the next one?

P

merry xmas!

On 2007-05-21 20:46, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Clysdalle is an angry, angry man.

hahahaha...that was before I found the misubi!! I promise I'm not that angry....well maybe a bit..

C
Cammo posted on Tue, May 22, 2007 4:48 PM

Hey Tikimecula -

I found a great frisbee for your dog! It lights up and makes flying saucer sounds when you throw it. You can have it at the next Chop. He can actually chase it in the dark, if it lasts more than 3 minutes with him.

Oops, does this nudge the Tonga Hut thread?

Ah, oops, uh, sorry, no really, uh, sorry.

I promise my tiki will be finished soon! I'm ready to start on a new one. I can't believe how much it changed from the 1st chop.

Can't wait until the next Chop Chop!

He looks great. What stain are you going to use on him?

June is fast approaching.

Has anyone started talking about possible dates for the Chop?

I'd like to nominate June 30th.

Any thoughts?

B

Hey….Yup, it’s time to talk Chop. It’s at Babalu’s Pad this time. June 30th sounds perfect as I may have to be out of town mid June.

Wheeler, please rename the thread – “Trailer Trash Chop in Lemon Grove – June 30th”
I say “Trailer Trash” as you will all have to navigate around my old junky trailer that I’m redoing in order to get to the back yard…that, and well, I’m serving pizza and Twinkies. I also figure if you kids are real good, I may run out to the storage shed and dust off a few bottles of my treasured Mad Dog 20/20 from 1978.

I was originally thinking that we could all go down to the corner bar after the Chop, but Saturday nights are “fight night” and I don’t want to see Mieko and TikiKate go all roller derby on the locals…I still have to live here in Lemon Grove you know.

Anyway, it ought to be a kick in the ass…TikiDav is going to demo making plaster molds….I drug my Kiln up from downstairs and have it back in my studio now, so if any of you want me to bisque anything for you, bring it over and I will return your work to you the following Chop.

Cleaned the back yard today…studio is next on the agenda…then back to carving.

M
mieko posted on Mon, May 28, 2007 9:26 PM

Nice looking place there, glad it's getting all gussied up for us. :)

My June is completely insane, I'm out of town every Saturday except for the 30th, I do have something I might be doing that afternoon/evening, I'll have to see how that goes, but the 30th is the only day that I might be able to go.

drat... the 30th is my wedding anniversary... might be a good idea not to bail...

On 2007-05-28 21:21, Babalu wrote:
I drug my Kiln up from downstairs and have it back in my studio now, so if any of you want me to bisque anything for you, bring it over and I will return your work to you the following Chop.

Yes, please. :D

P

I don’t want to see Mieko and TikiKate go all roller derby on the locals

oh, man, i soooo want to see that. please rethink it.

i'll probably be there. maybe i'll show off some stone stuff if anyone is interested.

C

Babs, you'll have to give us some more clues other than "I live in Lemon Grove and have a rusty trailer in front of my house" if we're ever going to track you down. That's like saying "I'll be at the Water Park, I'll be the one wearing a bathing suit."

Kate, Clysdalle and Cheekybabe with sharpened 2" gouges, freshly oiled chainsaws and hook knives vs. the inebriated locals? 50 bucks on our team, any odds.

Have you seen the Lemon Grove Kids movies??? They're a local legend; amateur movies filmed in Lemon Grove imitating the East Side Kids flicks. I can rent a copy if ya want.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 152 replies