Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Starburst Shelf "Re-purposed"

Pages: 1 21 replies

A
Al-ii posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2007 1:26 PM

I like the Space Age, Starburst, Amoeba and Boomerang Style. I found this "Starburst Shelf" down on Fourth St in Long Beach at the Starlight Room, right by Tiki Frogs excellent Mid-Century Shop. It was really in poor shape, so I thought I'd fix it. I've been watching the "Junk Brothers" lately and they fix things up and change 'em up a bit, so they gave me some inspiration. As you can see the Foil Wallpaper was badly decomposing, the Plastic Mirror was beat up, it needed painting and it was lame.

I added Tapa and some cool woven Material Mat board, it looks cool.

We all need more shelf space
Mahalo,
Al

Very Nice Al,

I'm jealous.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2007 1:49 PM

that awsome great job!!!

That is exquisite! I am inspired.

K

That looks bitchin'! Awesome idea.

On 2007-03-28 13:26, Al-ii wrote:
I've been watching the "Junk Brothers" lately and they fix things up and change 'em up a bit...

I take perverse pleasure in watching Junk Brothers because I often think that the final product is worse junk than what they started with. But you did an awesome job - what a striking way to show off your knick knacks.

Wow...what an excellent job....and it looks great with your furniture and lamps. It definitely is an inspiration. :)

WOOOHOOO Al-ii!! Tiki-rrific Job!!! You need to go into the business :)

swankeriffic Al-ii! You seem to be a natural with this kinda stuff!
Beautiful transformation!
Watch out Bamboo Ben!

H

Al, this looks great. I also love all the stuff you have displayed specially the female bust, I have been wanting one of those for ever. Great job.

Great job! Really hard to pull off a successful marriage of Googie and Teekee like that but when it works well nothing kix ass quite as much!

Fantastic work, Al!
You saved another wonderful piece of history from the jaws of the landfill and made another cool addition to your swanky home!
Keep up the great work...
K.

that shelf is HOT!!! nice tapa work....

Simply fabulous! I love that old bottle of Myers.

Al. that is nice! I like them lamps , very shagadelic. I either mixed up the CD you ga e me with pics of the tiki or it has freedom rock on it. You better send me some more pics AGAIN. aye yaye yaye!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 29, 2007 11:06 PM

That shelf is TOP SHELF! GROG like.

H

Thats awesome man - nice job! :D

Very nice Al.
By the way, when is your house warming party?

K

As much as I like foil wallpaper, the tapa gives it a whole new identity. And those lamps are divine.

A

Hey KC, How are you? did you see the rocket ship lamp in the first pic, my favorite.
Al

K
kctiki posted on Sun, Apr 1, 2007 5:42 AM

I see the rocket lamp now.

P

Those are one hell of a set of shelves! Great renovation job!! Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen would be envious. Where did you source your tapa cloth? I want to get some for a small project I have in mind here at Tiki Towers in England. If any TCers out there can advise me on sourcing some, I'd appreciate it. If I do half as good a job as you I'll have done exceedingly well!!!

Quality will out! - Trader Jim (Make mine a...No I'll have a DIY Mai-Tai this time!).

Pages: 1 21 replies