Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Maori Tiki art

Pages: 1 21 replies

Kia Ora
I am a graphic artist from NZ - New Zealand
I am Maori by ethnicity, Ngai Tahu te Iwi, my People or Tribe
Kati Kuri te hapu, a part within Ngai tahu

I design mostly for tshirts, but also sculpt, paint and I am just starting to learn carving. Not all tiki but I do cover Hei Tiki om my TShirts.

This was my first design attempt

Then with these following

I am currently working on 2 others

Very nice Dragon...and welcome to the board. :)

You go girl!! Dig!

K
Kitty posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2007 9:34 AM

Beautiful work! I am thrilled to see the link to your designs in "other crafts." I will be proud to wear one of your shirts.
PS- glad to see you back!!

[ Edited by: Kitty 2007-03-30 09:37 ]

Glad you're back. Beautiful work.

Wha happened DragonA is deleted?

??????

WTF? Come on, somebody fill us in .

She told me she was banned for threatening Gman with violence. Maybe with a Maori club?
I'll miss her very cool art here, but if you want to see her stuff go to Yahoo 360. Same name there.
Aloha!

Go to 360.yahoo.com then type in her name for your search. She's there.

Is saying "If you came here (NZ) and said that in front of my family you'd get your ass kicked." a REAL threat of violence? Did I miss something? Was this threat a PM? Edited out of a post?

I'm certainly not taking sides, just curious?

I think the mods, or Hanford could answer your questions Sneaky.

On 2007-04-03 19:12, Sneakytiki wrote:
Is saying "If you came here (NZ) and said that in front of my family you'd get your ass kicked." a REAL threat of violence?

It doesn't have to be a REAL threat of violence -- the rules state clearly you can't even joke about it (see rule 3). Over time many members have made it clear to me that they don't think there's any room for for threats on Tiki Central, and I agree.

When I banned the member (never mentioning to them whether it was a permanent or temporary ban) ... guess what his/her reply was?

Keep your fucked up forum and shove it up your ass!!

Eh, I don't need waste my time with people like that.

Hanford,

Thanks for the rule clarification. I'm sorry to hear that you were insulted like that. It's so rare that a member gets banned around here that I was uber curious. I'm appreciative that u run this free site for us and have seen your great amount of patience/tolerance of members in the past.

Regards,
ST

Actually, perhaps I should clarify, because it was not the person's insult to me that tipped me over the edge.

This particular banning is about the attitude of the person as much as it was the threat. We have over a thousand regular vistors who never post. And we have hundreds more who do. And all of you people have proved to me one simple thing:

It's so easy to decide to spread good vibes on a site like Tiki Central.

Think of Tiki Central as a wall in a public place. The stuff you're writing on it -- unless you choose to take the time to go back and change it -- is going to be here for a very, very long time. So what are you gonna write?

You can write a poem, or you can scribble obscenities. You can do a beautiful mural, or you can trash one.

Now, since I own the wall, I'm hoping people aren't gonna trash it. And typically when trashing occurs, a bit of behind-the-scenes emails occur and it's all straightened out. Now, if in the process of me trying to straighten things out a user decides to go against the grain, well that's pretty much a sign to me to let differences be differences and send the user on their way. I need people to want to be here, and to want to get along with everyone. I need people who are aware that they have a determining factor in what they bring to the site, and decide to bring good things.

That just wasn't happening here in this case.

With all due respect to Hanford and the wonderful wall he has provided us to scribble on, is it possible that Gman unintentionally said something perceived as provocative to Dragonaotearoa, to evoke such a response?

A friend who is a psychologist to law enforcement told me that offenses are determined by the offended. Intentional or not its the perception of offense that makes it legitimate.

I think it is particularly unfortunate that an actual Pacific Islander would be expelled from a forum which is based entirely around the derivative trappings of islander culture... due to a possible misunderstanding. - Hodadhank

On 2007-04-04 11:00, hodadhank wrote:
is it possible that Gman unintentionally said something perceived as provocative to Dragonaotearoa, to evoke such a response?

Yes, I think that's exactly what happened. But if everyone's attitude was "as long as no one crosses me I'm fine, but if they do I'll fly off the handle!" this place would be a disaster area. Because wires get crossed all the time. Unintentionally provocative comments are a plenty here. I think everyone knows that to enjoy a site like this you need to have tolerance.

(and for the record, GMAN didn't complain to me about Dragonatearoa's comment)

I don't appreciate AlienTiki calling her a racist troll. Anyone getting busted for that?

A

On 2007-04-04 18:07, Jungle Trader wrote:
I don't appreciate AlienTiki calling her a racist troll. Anyone getting busted for that?

First off I don't appreciate you misquoting me.

Secondly, attacking someone purely on cultural differences is racist, Plain and simple.

As for the troll comment, I take it you do not know the definition of troll.

I have sent NO private messages to Hanford. Non the less the troll was banned and I rest my case.

So go on and beat that dead horse and whine and cry about what a big meany AlienTiki is.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 4:47 AM

I take it you do not know the definition of troll.

(Go on click the link)

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-04-05 04:47 ]

Perfect example of what TC has become. Too much poop in the sandbox.

I for one don't think she is a racist. I think that calling her one was uncalled for. This matter is completely separate from whether or not she was a troll, quick to anger, threatening, etc..
I also thought that it was unfortunate that we had a native Maori on this board and they were banned. But ignoring the rules due to ethnicity would hardly be fair.

If we are going to use art and sacred figures from another culture, I believe a person from that culture has a right to ask why, and a right to say they disagree with it. If they think all this polypop stuff is disrespectful, fine, they don't have to partake in this forum. Colonized, brutalized, genocized peoples of the Western hemispere, Oceania, Australia, and Africa can think appropriation is disrespectful without it making them a racist. I have issues with parts of it myself. I enjoy the fun use of Indigenous art such as souvenir totem poles or tikis but i stay away from the coco joes lady with huge sagging boobs and big feet, mammy figures with duckbill lips and exaggerated phenotypical features etc. These things to me are definitely mocking another race or culture. Others on this board would disagree. That's fine. I'm not forced to participate in this forum and neither are they.

Appropriation isn't isolated to Western cultures and that's part of the reason I don't have a problem with it as long as it's not racist or blatantly disrespectful/mocking. I think there is much more admiration/imitation of Oceanic styles on this board then there is mockery. I've seen posts that were definitely taking a superior stance toward native religions, cultures etc. but thankfully those are the vast minority here.

Peace,
ST

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-05 10:25 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies