Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

More about the $1400 Mai Tai

Pages: 1 7 replies

S

I joined Ed Hamilton's new "Rum Lover's" forum, and caught yet another thread about the $1400 Mai Tai. The second post, from anguswinchester, is very interesting giving some inside information about this.

http://ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36

What I found truly interesting is how he describes the 17-year-old Wray and Nephew rum orignally used: "...it is heavy red colour with an intensely smokey taste... not unlike a scotch."

I had not thought that a smokey rum would make for a good Mai Tai. I'm sure the complexity of a 17-year-old rum would be excellent, but I'd think that something "intensely smokey" would fit.

And now I have to make sure that I try a Mai Tai with my Gosling's Old Rum, or the Pampero Anniversario....

M
mbanu posted on Sat, Apr 7, 2007 11:34 PM

Thanks for the link. :)

[ Edited by: mbanu 2007-04-07 23:36 ]

I make mine with Appleton Estate Extra Rum. This is a 12 year old rum with a lot of complexity, spice, and dare I say, a bit of smoke. These flavors are noticable and quite desirable in the Mai Tai (if you stick to one of Vic's three recipes).

Pampero could be interesting with its coffee/leather/smoke flavors.

If you try the Gosling's Old Rum, let us know what you think. I haven't pulled the trigger on that one yet.

S

All in all, the Gosling's Old is not worth the money, IMHO. It's a dark smoky rum, and would probably be very appropriate with a cigar, but I don't care for smoky rums. It's high quality though, and certainly smooth enough for sipping, but too much of the barrel comes through for me.

Well, that's a month-old memory from a single glass. I will have to give this rum a proper review some day soon.

That list of drinks (and prices) was pretty bling bling. Ohhhh to have money. :)

S

On 2007-04-09 21:27, VampiressRN wrote:
Ohhhh to have money. :)

For $1400 I think I'd rather have a regular Mai Tai on Waikiki! Damn this New England weather...

On 2007-04-09 17:03, Scottes wrote:
All in all, the Gosling's Old is not worth the money, IMHO. It's a dark smoky rum, and would probably be very appropriate with a cigar, but I don't care for smoky rums. It's high quality though, and certainly smooth enough for sipping, but too much of the barrel comes through for me.

Well, that's a month-old memory from a single glass. I will have to give this rum a proper review some day soon.

OK, that kind of confirms what I've read about it. I'll maybe try it in a bar, but won't buy a bottle. Thanks for the info.

S

And for a little more than half the price you can get a bottle of the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23-year-old. That's a no-brainer.

Pages: 1 7 replies