Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Water / Fire Pit?

Pages: 1 26 replies

T

While in Vegas last year, we stopped by the Fireside Lounge at Peppermill's. They have a famous firepit that is filled with water and the fire comes up the center. How do they make that thing work? I would like to build something like that for my patio (on a smaller scale) but after considerable searching on the old WWW, the closest thing I can find is using something called Fireglass, but the site it's on isn't cheap and isn't helpful. Any ideas? (I want to use propane)

ST

Fire and water is done by bubbling propane up through the water. Don't ask me how. As much as I love to play wuith fire it seems a little to sketchy for me to play with.

T

How does it stay on fire though?

Just a guess, but are you sure it isnt a gas-pipe sticking out above the water a little? Or perhaps a hidden (constant) pilot-flame that ignites each bubble as it comes to the surface..? Sounds great; Id love to see a pic if anyone can find one!

Tama

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:31 ]

H

Don't know how much this helps, but here's a photo I took at the Reno Peppermill's a few years ago:

I took a look at the blown-up original of this photo, and while it's a bit blurry, it looks like perhaps there is a cluster of small (1/5" in diameter?) gas pipes that extend about an inch above the surface of the water.

B

[ Edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:32 ]

H

Interesting subject, I would like to try this myself. Seems like a simple (?) way to add an extra touch of exotica to a water feature. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT - my 'long-haired-engineering' feats have landed me in hot water before and this could be a good example. I'd hate to hear you got torched at my advice. BUT-- if your gonna try it-you could probably accomplish this with just a propane tank, a hose extension and a burner type fitting you could get from a gas grill or the burner from a gas hot water heater would probably be ideal. You could experiment with placing the burner at different levels above and below the waterline and probably end up with a kickin' water/fire feature!!!

Like this, maybe?

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. -- Henny Youngman
http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

[ Edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-04-09 20:06 ]

T

I could be wrong since I had quite a few drinks but I remember thinking that there were times when there was absolutely no flame present and it would just pop up again, lit up. I could be wrong though, there was alcohol involved! I do know that it didn't burn like a kitchen stove, it flickered and danced on the water. I don't think I imagined that (I swear!)

[ Edited by: teamtom 2007-04-09 20:21 ]

Sounds like you'd better pay the place another visit TeamTom - and perhaps have a good look BEFORE heading to the bar! :lol:

It is a great effect & I agree with S-n-T, probably fairly simple affair to rig one up for yourself. Great bang for your buck as it were!

Tama

ST

If you were try S-n-T's layout under water you would probably have to invert the burner so that the holes point down to prevent water from getting in the plumbing. You'd also have to have some sort of pilot light just above the water line to ensure that your gas ignites. I seem to remember an episode of Monster House where they did something like this.

Just got back from universal and the same effect is created in a very large scale at several rides. It seems that prpane is simply released under water. To light the fire they use sparks from several sources. This would be easy to test all you need is a tub of water and a propane tank. If you blow yourself up, make sure to post pictures!!

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:05:46 ]

I always liked those Peppermill fireside pits...they are swank. Just the right ambience for sipping a cocktail around. I thought it was tubes close to the surface of the water too....but I am not mechanically minded so not sure. Would be cool to have one in the middle of a sunken living room. :)

CL

This is a great thread. We've been trying to figure out how to do this. It's one of the first projects we're going to work on once we save up the $$ to cut down our 80 foot pine tree. Thanks so much for posting this thread. :D

T

any pics?

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:04:56 ]

Just found a patent for what you may be looking for. Patent number 3,038,064 from 1962 for a "decorative torch" by John H. Gieb. A large basin with a gas jet in the middle filled with water for yard or patio. I did the search on goggle patent search and can't figure out how to link to the thing. Maybe someone out there can help with a link or some pic's. This may be just the thing your after. Enjoy.

L
lvc posted on Sun, Dec 9, 2007 9:57 PM

poptiki,

I have searched the WWW for days trying to find info on this subject. Did use use a regulator (like the ones on grills)? What did you use to ignite the flame? Any help here would be much appreciated.....

Thanks,

Chris

M
G
gksys posted on Thu, Apr 4, 2013 10:51 AM

I've been looking around for something like this for years. I finally stumble upon this. It's quite a bit out of my price range (expect a starting price near $2.5k), but I thought I'd at least share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JkiTzViuuoM

Investigating it further, I found that the manufacturer is Fire By Design. ( firebydesign.com )

They also seem to make a lot of cool Tiki torches too. Anyone who has money to burn (ha ha) might want to check them out.

[ Edited by: gksys 2013-04-04 12:22 ]

This website has video.

http://www.livingwateraeration.com/fire-fountains.html

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Q: How much gas pressure does it take to operate a Submersible GV Unit?
A: Submersible Units require at least 2 PSI to operate properly.

Q: How deep should I put the manifold below the surface of the water?
A:The closer the manifold is to the surface of the water, the better the performance.

Q: How large does the supply line have to be to the manifold?
A: 6 – 12” manifolds may run off of a ¼” supply line. The gas line will never be larger than 1 ¼” for the larger submersible units.

Q: How do I keep water out of my supply line?
A: The Submersible GV Units are designed with a vapor locking system and an in-line check valve to ensure that no water fills the gas line, giving you constant gas pressure.

Q: Does the system run on natural gas?
A: Yes. Our system runs on natural gas and requires a high output meter that will be supplied by your gas carrier at no cost to the customer. The customer will need to get ahigh pressure regulator installed to the fire feature with a pressure regulated spring rated at 3 – 6 PSI.

Q: Can this system operate on propane?
A: Yes. Our system runs on propane and needs to be equipped with a high output regulator supplied by your gas provider. It needs to be rated for at least 3 PSI and up.

Q: Can this unit burn indoors?
A: No.

Q: How long does the system last?
A: There is a one year warranty on the stainless steel material and the tips. The system is very durable and is built to last.

Q: How long does it take to install?
A: Each Submersible Unit should take about 10 minutes to install.

Q: What material does the manifold consist of?
A: 316 stainless steel material.

Q: How do I manually light a Fire Fountain or a fire feature?
A: A Fire Fountain or fire feature may be lit manually with a control valve close to the feature.

Note: Always stand UPWIND when lighting any fire feature.

HT

Save yourself a fortune and buy the stainless fittings from McMaster Carr, and then the gas part from them, or another vendor. You should be able to put it together for about $200, depending on how many flames you want. $500 max.

TD

Have you considered fire glass instead of water? Its much cheaper and probably lasts a LOT longer.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Fire-Glass

On 2013-04-24 16:00, tiki dan wrote:
Have you considered fire glass instead of water? Its much cheaper and probably lasts a LOT longer.

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Fireplace-Accessories/Fire-Glass

The red fire glass mixed with the lava rock looks like it would create a cool looking volcano or molten lava.

The water/fire pit definitely looks cooler than the fire glass version... here is my propane fire pit with glass. The burner has a "solar" shape to it and I used mosaic glass beads to outline the flame pattern so it looks neat whether it is on or off. I like it because you can have a quick sit outside and turn it on. Unlike a real fire pit, its quick to start and easy to shut off when your done. But, the fire coming out of water would have a lot more wow factor I think.

I've got all the parts to convert it to natural gas and hope to do that next summer to avoid having to fill the tank again.

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-10-02 10:16 ]

http://www.firesidexpressions.com/water-features/submersible-fire-on-water-manifold
This website will teach you everything you need. You can call them too and they will help you with the project!

Pages: 1 26 replies