Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Introducing Me and my Tiki Surrealist Artwork

Pages: 1 31 replies

L
Limey posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 5:57 PM

Kia Ora. from Wellington NZ.
My name is Limey and this is my first hello to the Tiki Frat Shack. I'm looking to meet some cool crew and to show my work around a bit. I'm currently painting a series of Tiki-surrealist works for exhibit later this year but i've also
have released limited edition giclee prints for sale.

I have made considerable efforts to ensure the scanning, printing and paper is of the highest possible quality to produce beautiful archival standard art reproductions.
Each print is signed, numbered and limited to 75 prints plus artists’ proofs.
Specs: Scanning - Cruze under/over hi-res scanner. Printer - Epson 9800 with K3 archival inks.
Paper - Hahnemühle 310 g/m. acid free 100% German Etching Paper.
All prints have a clear border around the image.

NZ is a small market so I figure, go to the source. All feedback welcome.
Cheers for now. Limey

P

Great style you got there Limey! Keep it up!

L
Limey posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 6:11 PM

Thanks PockyTiki. glad you like. I do say, that's what I call a warp speed response.
cheers.

P

I'm actually an artist myself, so feel free to mozy on over to Creating Tiki/ Other Crafts. Cheers!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 6:47 PM

G'day Liam, I've seen your work on TM before and really dig it. In fact, I had a bit of a look around to find out more about your work and already knew about your upcoming show! Nice to see you here - you'll fit in just fine. There are a couple of kiwis on TC already who you'll usually find in the Carving forum.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of interest in your art from the TC community - you can pimp your wares in the Tiki Marketplace, and also introduce yourself and post your work in the "Creating Tiki" section for feedback from other artists and members. Don't forget to check out all the amazing art the other TC creators are producing. You'll find your way around soon enough!
:tiki:

Welcome to TC Limey, I love your work....it is really awesome. My favorite artist of all time is Michael Parkes. I truly appreciate surrealism (can't afford Dali). PM coming your way. :)

Talofa Limey!

Dig the paintings. Have a Mai Tai an' stroll the grounds, welcum to the Hotel Polynesia.

Hoka!
S T

Nice artwork - maybe we'll see you in Tiki Now! 4

Beautiful stuff

L
Limey posted on Tue, Apr 10, 2007 5:14 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes one and all. I feel right at home.
however a bit lacking in the insider lingo. What is Tiki Now 4.?

On 2007-04-10 17:14, Limey wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcomes one and all. I feel right at home.
however a bit lacking in the insider lingo. What is Tiki Now 4.?

Here's an Amazon link...

http://www.amazon.com/Tiki-Art-Now-Volcanic-Eruption/dp/0867196270

It's up to three volumes, I'm sure it's a matter of time before someone discovers your work to put in a book. The series are about up and coming Tiki artists; a nice glimpse into the world of Tiki art!

Great work Limey!
And the landscapes in the background add to the moody feel of the pieces! Welcome! Welcome!
come join us over in Creating Tiki!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 1:19 AM

Nice moody stuff mate - very kool :D Welcome to TC, hopefully you see some stuff to inspire you some more

Yeah! Very hip stuff! Looks like you B "edge"-a- bukadid, Limey. Welcome aboard........Remy

L
Limey posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 2:06 PM

Hey Remy, not quite sure what your saying Remy but thanks... i think. Had a look through your website too.
Sweete-as.! A world is opening up to me. The gallery scene here is quite different. severe lack of people really.

I'm with you now Hawwiansnowball, on the book. I've seen earlier copies.
No problem with inspiriation here. I've got more than I can handle just browsing through TC.

Limey~
Cool work! Dark, moody backgrounds. Very serious looking indeed! What medium are you creating the originals in? Oils? What size are the originals? Welcome and Aloha! the Tiki Crucifex is truley awesome!

Tiki Shark

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-04-11 15:22 ]

L
Limey posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 4:39 PM

Hi Tiki Shark. Thanks for the big-ups and the welcome mate, Ive been checking your work over the past few days, very cool. yeah my other name is morrose boy. Ha. I paint them in oils on canvas. using multi-layering technique. I originally got into it, a. for fun and b. for exhibit for original galleries and have only recently venured toward prints. Mainly so I could eat. I paint them usually around the 70cm x 90cm mark. however i've gone larger recently 1 @ 60cm x 180cm and another 110cm x 160cm. which is huge, but should look good on the wall.
I'll post picies once I progress it a bit more.
check ya.

limey awesome work you are very talented keep up the good work

L
Limey posted on Thu, Apr 12, 2007 5:05 PM

Hey Marcus, Which part of the li'll island are you on, I used to live in Freo for about 15 years. Checked the carvings too and they are crankin. Nice work and nicely finished.
Anyway, speaking of dark and moody, thought you guys should check these two puppies out. 'Aotearoa Sleeps' is still wet and I did Te Whare Roto. (The Lake House) Last year.

nice pieces! Your stuff is always awesome to look at!

I was at a surrealist and Dadaexhibition recently and was delighted to find several Tikis included in the exhibition, apparently the tribal figures were a great influence on the the surrealists & dadaists.

There i saw a lovely new Caledonia piece (very Rolly Crump) and great cast of "Tangora god of the sea" which i joyfully misread as "Tangora god of dreams".

Limey, your work is amazing! I'm so sorry that I haven't seen this thread earlier. They all have a lot of emotion that makes me feel sad for some reason. Beautiful!

L
Limey posted on Sat, Apr 14, 2007 2:39 AM

Yes Tangaroa is the God of the sea true. The Polynesian sea-god, who separated the sky from the earth. He is a son the earth-goddess Papa, who had so much water in her body that it swelled one day and burst forth, becoming the ocean. He may appear as a huge fish giving birth to all the sea creatures, including mermen and mermaids. From the latter sprang humanity, according to certain myths, so people are really fish who have lost their fish-like appearance. Others say also that human beings were once aquatic, hence their hairlessness. Tangaroa changes regularly into a green lizard, signifying fine weather. He only needs to breath once in 24 hours, so huge is he (this breathing explains the tidal movement).

Also to Finkdaddy. I thank you and appreciate your sentiment. A lot of what I paint about has an element of emotion attached. It could just be me, but I see that NZ is an interesting place where pain, sorrow and a sense of loss are very much a part of the culture. I tap into that, as well as the more positive aspects. In many ways my paintings are about 'te tangata whenua' (the people of the land).
Ka Kité

Holy mackeral! It's like Dali, M.C. Escher, and Mark Ryden fused into one rum soaked mega artist! Wild style Limey! Awesome and spooky too!

I totally got the Escher reference from those lizards and the Dali reference from the sleeping/reclining figure too. Surrealists were definitely influenced by non-western art. After all Picasso was considered a surrealist during the middle part of his career.

I'm really enjoying the paintings Limey. You got skills!

S
T

There also looks to be some stone Gargoyle/bat qualities to the last one.

L
Limey posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2007 3:28 PM

mmmmm. Rummm. Thanks S.B. & ST. That is some wild, yet inspired observation you've made there. I love it. Not worthy, but I love it. ha.ha. Escher was in fact a childhood hero. Dali, well who isnt he a hero of. Ryden, well, a hero of the highest order, verging on godlike. Picasso - amazing line work, I just wished his technique was tighter, legacy of a graphic designer (keep it toight). haha. ( I Love it.-critiqueing one of the worlds most famous painters).

PS.You probably don't need to know this but..
The lizard. is a Tuatara and is a reptile. Tuatara is a Maori word meaning "peaks on the back".
It is the last remaining member of the ancient group of reptiles, Sphenodontia.
it is the only survivor of a large group of reptiles that roamed the earth at the same time as dinosaurs. It hasn't changed its form much in over 225 million years! The relatives of tuatara died out about 60 million years ago which is why the tuatara is sometimes called a ‘living fossil’ - cool.

Ka Kité

On 2007-04-15 15:28, Limey wrote:
mmmmm. Rummm. Thanks S.B. & ST. That is some wild, yet inspired observation you've made there. I love it. Not worthy, but I love it. ha.ha. Escher was in fact a childhood hero. Dali, well who isnt he a hero of. Ryden, well, a hero of the highest order, verging on godlike. Picasso - amazing line work, I just wished his technique was tighter, legacy of a graphic designer (keep it toight). haha. ( I Love it.-critiqueing one of the worlds most famous painters).

PS.You probably don't need to know this but..
The lizard. is a Tuatara and is a reptile. Tuatara is a Maori word meaning "peaks on the back".
It is the last remaining member of the ancient group of reptiles, Sphenodontia.
it is the only survivor of a large group of reptiles that roamed the earth at the same time as dinosaurs. It hasn't changed its form much in over 225 million years! The relatives of tuatara died out about 60 million years ago which is why the tuatara is sometimes called a ‘living fossil’ - cool.

Ka Kité

That painting is really austere and beautiful. These are the works it recalls to me.

Dali piece it remids me of:

Escher piece with lizards crawling up and over:

I think the Ryden compliment/comparison was just due to the surreal nature and "tight" execution of your work.

I think your work would look great alongside any top surrealist.

The tiki guy is really cool as it recalls the chimera like forms of NZ tikis and also gargoyles.

Aloha

S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-16 14:51 ]

L
Limey posted on Sun, Apr 15, 2007 6:52 PM

yeah I'm with you on the Dali ref.. Nice work. I didnt think you were being flippant with those refs. and I did appreciate the compliment, who wouldn't. I like the inclusion of backgrounds, landscape environment is very much a part of living here. Michael Parkes was a bit of an influence there too. Cheers again.

Limey,

I'm glad you didn't take offense. I think your work is super cool. I just finished a surrealist inspired piece I started after digging your initial posts.

Regards,

S
T

Limey, your work is incredible. Welcome to TC.

A-A

L

No worries S T. I'm fairly unflappable. Looking forward to checking out your peice when you get a chance.

On 2007-04-16 00:58, Limey wrote:
No worries S T. I'm fairly unflappable. Looking forward to checking out your peice when you get a chance.

Limey it's in my thread under the title bloody surrealist. I don't want to hijack your thread so i'll just post a blurry detail from it:

Thanks for the inspiring works you posted.

Regards,
S
T

Pages: 1 31 replies