Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Hawaiian-style quilt

Pages: 1 2 replies

I saw this new Hawaiian-style quilt go at auction last weekend for $4,200. Quilts are not my thing (I'm very much a 'lectric blankie guy), but as so often happens, I found it interesting to read about something I ran across while shooting other pictures for my blog. I researched it a bit and found more info at http://www.quiltshawaii.com/tradition.html:

"Four methods of constructing and designing a quilt, when combined, make the Hawaiian quilting process unique. These include the use of whole pieces of fabric for the appliqué and background; the "snowflake" method of cutting the design all at one time; the use of usually only two colors of fabric; and the echo, or outline style of quilting which follows the contour of the applied design throughout the entire quilt."

Anyway, that's my school report for the day.

I am planning on eventually buying a Hawaiian Quilt for my quest bedroom (to actually use on the bed). Has anyone purchased from webetiki it looks like they have decent prices and very nice options for quilts. They have various patterns and colors to choose from.

If you have a Hawaiian quilt, would love to see a picture of it. I am having a hard time deciding on colors. :wink:

Wow, $4,200! I have two Hawaiian quilts that my grandma made. They are both just stored away for fear of ruining them. My grandma got really pissed when my mom and dad wore their quilt she made for them out to a threadbare mess. I always just thought of it as a bedspread when growing up, but now I know the amount of time and artistry that goes into making them.
I think I would always keep one of them just for the cultural family significance and because it was made by my grandma. Now, if I could get anywhere near $4,200 for the other, I would sell that in a heartbeat, all nostalgia aside(this isn't a solicitation for offers, by the way).
I'll try to post pics someday.

Pages: 1 2 replies