Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Paintings by Limey / New one added P2.

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

L
Limey posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 3:18 PM

Ki-ora whanau. Just scrubbed te finishing touches on 'The Mighty Moa' and snapped of a pic.
The little guy on the left is 'Mr. 4 Square' a synonemous character of a local market chain over here.
I will eventually release some prints of them. Hope you like em.
Ka Kité.

Check some other work on my other thread if ya like.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23675&forum=18

Painting Tiki-Surrealist Originals and Limited Edition Prints.

[ Edited by: Limey 2007-11-27 19:20 ]

Incredible stuff Limey! I love your stuff!It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end! Insanely moody and beautiful work!

Shazam, Shizam!
that is F'n NICE work Limey.

L

Cheers fellas, It makes it all worth while doing these paintings just to hear your encouragement alone. Thanks.

awesome awesome awesome just awesome

Limey ~ it's so beautiful! Your shading is flawless, makes me wanta swich for acrylics to oils! I really dig the sculpting tiki.

L

Thanks Marcus and Tiki Shark. Careful what you wish for TS . I've got a case full of acrylics gathering dust. There's no going back dude, especially if your the blendy type. But for mood and subtelty of hue it's all aces, especially if you have the time. Do it, do it, do it. I'd so love to see your work in oils, It's amazing anyway but eh.. world domination an' all that, hey hey.
In my opinion (and for what its worth), the switch has to happen, it's just a matter of when.
ka kité Liam

L
Limey posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 7:20 PM

kia ora all. Just said good-bye to an old favourite. Sold but not forgotten. Not in the Tiki style but hey you gotta break with tradition sometime. The green girl was my first attempt at painting back in 95. I'd never sell that chick, she'd skewer me. More to come soon.
Ka Kite

Ooooh...those are both very nice. Great work!!!

L
Limey posted on Sat, Oct 6, 2007 2:59 PM

Kia ora. been out of the picture a bit lately, but happy to say, havn't been slacking. I had an exhibition in Auckland which went gangbustas and the work is getting out there. Here is a bit more of what I've been up to between Rum & Rugby here in Aotearoa.

HAERE MAI HE TETE KURA - ARRIVAL OF A NEW FROND
This image represents the intrinsic values of nature and nurture through our connection to Papatuanuku (Earth Mother). A rebirth takes place and in doing so brings with it a new consciousness of the tupuna (ancestors) that stood before. The exotic gold-finch brings the past into present and sings a song of new dawns.
I posted this before when it was still unfinished, this is a better pic.

TE KORO HEKE - THE OLD GUY
‘The old Man’ knows where his spirit lies; he wants for nothing more. Life is abundant all around him and he rests easy, complete and humbled by the knowledge that he and Papatuanuku speak freely.

KARAKIA
He welcomes in the evening with karakia, his faith as strong as his song. Tiwakawaka feed from the sky, playfully, erratically, all is as it should be.

KINA - SEA EGG
The simplicity of a beach holiday where ‘being’ is the core experience. Smell, sound taste and images permeate our psyche and we feel content, connected and accepting of the earth in all its temperaments.

T
Tabu posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2007 4:29 PM

Beautiful. I really dig your style. I like that there is a spiritual aspect to these paintings. It takes tiki to another level. Very nice work. I checked out your web page, lot's of great stuff.

L
Limey posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2007 8:35 PM

Thanks Tabu, Glad you appreciate the work. From down here, Tiki is quite a revered and spritual symbol and not too many people mess with it. I like to merge it with contemporary Maori in order to make more of a social comment. It seems to be working ok, well I still have my own teeth anyway. Liam.

Wow Limey! Good to see you again! Incredible new pieces! Great work!

L
Limey posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2007 1:49 PM

Hey S.P. Good to hear from you too. Got a bit lost in space there. Glad you like the new work. I'm starting to chalk a few up now. and they keep getting bigger. I must spend a bit of time checking out what you have been up to?. point me if ya like.

Hey limey,

Beautiful new pieces with flawless technique!

Good to see your work again.

S
T

Hellloooo Limey, allow me to introduce myself.... my name is Jon.
I am extremely happy to meet you.
Your paintings are magical. I am impressed in many ways -
Your images are quirky and comical,
The message behind the paintings is intense, thoughtful and inspiring in the tradition of a fable!
Your execution is flawless - from composition to detail to shading you are a master.
I find your style 'Dali-esque' with a tribute to fantasy art. Truly a new chapter in the art style of Dada/Surrealism!
Add Tiki to the mix and the emotional and spiritual message is even more complex!

I look forward to seeing one in real life, and seeing your next creation!

L
Limey posted on Fri, Oct 19, 2007 9:04 PM

kia ora ST. cheers mate, yup its good to be back and showing the produce again. Another week on this current project and I'll post it. I bet you'll get a kick out of it.

Great to meet you too Jon. Your obvious appreciation of my work is humbling and so thank you for such hefty praise. However I beleive I'm keeping excellent company. I had a look through you website too and was mighty impressed. What a wealth of amazing work, not to mention the mugshot collection. Ahh! the stories you could spill.
Will be sure to post the current work so look forward to catching up with then. Ka kite. Liam.

L
Limey posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 7:12 PM

Kia ora, ok I finally put this baby to bed and off it goes into the ether of chin strokers. Actually it could be a bit topical in these parts after some recent events sourrounding the fuzz and local Maori. Anyway, it took about 6 weeks of 10 hour days, but a whole lot of fun. hope yas like it.

Title : Bee Box & Tin Lids
Medium : Oil on Canvas Size: 167cm x 122cm

I love it, beautiful!!!! That is alot of time investment, props to you sir!!

L

Cheers Sneakytiki. Yeah time is always on my case, it always wants more of me.

L
Limey posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 12:53 PM

Kia ora, Serving up a new effort. 'Turangawaewae'
This painting sits at 1.7m x .7H in oil on canvas.
It looks at the subject of identity and is titled 'Turangawaewae' 'A place to stand' The kiwi, known as the eldest child of Tane Mahuta, (god of the forest), is said to offer an older sibling’s protection. Here the kiwi connects though a hongi (touching of noses and sharing of breath - welcome) with a spirit of the land in acknowledgement of their place of standing and belonging.
ka kite, Liam.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 1:38 PM

Beautiful stuff - I like the way your land spirit mirrors the form of the mountains in the background, and the lizard-like way he's poised on his toes gives the hongi an extra little frisson of tension.
Do you have any of your art on display in any Welly galleries, or are they long gone (or snapped up by voracious JAFAs) before they get the chance? I'll be up there late April and would love to see one of your pieces "for real"...

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 2:48 PM

I love this, gorgeous work :D I love the mix of the old traditional looking landscape with the modern land spirit. Great sense of depth and atmosphere too, and the light clouds on the distant mountains draws your eye into the painting.

L
Limey posted on Sat, Mar 8, 2008 12:51 PM

Hey Paipo and Hewey, glad you like the work, its always good to see how people respondand interperate the work. Always appreciate the feedback so thanks.
Paipo, I dont have any original work in any Wellington Galleries at present just prints at Ora. I am working on a solo for Sept. in Auckland, but you can always come to the house where I have a few on the walls, Were in Newtown. Drop me a line closer to the time and we'll arange it. Oh yeah, whats a JAFA?

uh......WOW!
That is masterful work. I am in awe.

L
Limey posted on Sun, Mar 9, 2008 11:58 PM

Thats high praise indeed coming from you sensei Tiki Shark. But accept with thanks.
che Bro.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 10, 2008 1:31 AM

On 2008-03-08 12:51, Limey wrote:

Paipo, I dont have any original work in any Wellington Galleries at present just prints at Ora. I am working on a solo for Sept. in Auckland, but you can always come to the house where I have a few on the walls, Were in Newtown. Drop me a line closer to the time and we'll arange it. Oh yeah, whats a JAFA?

I used to sell through Ora quite a while ago. Part of the plan on the next trip up is finding somewhere new to show/sell my work in the capital.
JAFA means "Just Another F$%#ing Aucklander" - a common term of endearment for our Northern friends, used by everyone south of the Bombay Hills. I'm guessing plenty of your work probably ends up there?
We're only doing a quick weekender (this time) - between Te Papa and Cuba St my trip is probably spoken for, but I very much appreciate the offer. Let me know if you ever send any work down south!

Hello Limey. okay, you get my vote for the most original approach to Tiki subject matter I've seen. Excellent technique. WOW!

L
Limey posted on Mon, Mar 10, 2008 2:02 PM

You got it in one Paipo, that's where the $ are, though I'd love to get the work around more. It's a fickle market at the mo. Do you know Eyeball Kicks on Cuba St. Might be worth talking to Calvin there, he works the tiki culture and has a finger firmly on the pulse of Wellington. I don't think you'll be needing any luck. your work speaks for itself.

Robb, thanks for checking and appreciating the work,

L
Limey posted on Fri, May 16, 2008 4:09 PM

Kia ora one and all. New offerings for you perusal and discussion, Whilst 'Queen Bee' isnt tiki as such, I thought the relationship was still there with the wahini.
Thanks for looking.

QUEEN BEE
84 x 101cm Oil on Linen 2008
She welcomes the beat of an unborn heart. Her belief in the ways of truth and duty, offer her the grace to accept that as matriarch over her domain, she is Queen Bee.
Inspired by Ihimaera’s character Ramona - ‘Bulibasha’ and the landscapes of the Gisborne region.

TANE MAHUTA
84 x 101cm Oil on Linen 2008
‘Tane Mahuta’ (lord of the forest) majestic and towering, is the source, rooted firmly between his mother (Paptuanuku) and father (Ranginui). From deep within, he offers up the life force to feed his vast empire.

Wow! Great paintings! Such fine craftsmanship.

ST

Lord of the Forest...
the cape-feathers all fog-cloud-like, billowing down into the solid vegetation....
the glow of the mist as the waterfall hits the earth.......
the royal feather and powerful eyes full of intent...
awesome in so many ways
in theme/in scale/in atmosphere/in character/in lushness/in craftsmanship
and in spirit....
seeping in spirit...
there is such a mix of great feeling,thought,time,and talent
in both of these new ones....
the fact they evolve and are born so slowly
makes them even more precious...
Mad props Limey!

L
Limey posted on Sun, May 18, 2008 4:01 PM

Hey ST and LLT, Thanks for appreciating the work fellas and taking the time to write (nicely put and considered LLT). Just wish I could show the originals to you. They sing so much more...

Great stuff!! i really like the TANE MAHUTA.
awsome work!

Lord of the Forest is truly amazing. A real new level of powerful skill with the paint and a deeper subtle spiritual sense in your imagery. Very original.

As mystical as a Tarot card image.

L
Limey posted on Tue, May 20, 2008 2:41 PM

Thanks for the big -ups fellas. TS. Hey there's an idea. Tiki Tarots. There's a lifetimes worth in that series. mmm. Hey, I was checking out your site, Is that new?. Anyway the playing cards are sensational!! Great the way you have incorporated the suits. Big project, but sure to be a smash. You are a machine!

RH

Limey, your work really moves me, I refuse to pick a favorite. I'd sure like to see your work in person. This type of originality is terribly rare.

L
Limey posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2008 9:46 PM

Hey Robb, I would like you to see my work in person too. Hey! I got it, You could always buy a print. But seriously, I would be well keen to push the work out of NZ. I think the states would have an appreciative tikified audience and I have been considering contacting a few galleries to test the water. Ive got a few ideas, but any tips or leads would be welcome.

Aloha Limey!!! Just stumbled on your thread , and I am glad because you have some sweet paintings and cant wait to see more, Aloha Mooney

L
Limey posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2008 5:39 PM

Well, hold on tight Mooney, cos I've got a cracker coming your way, just got to let the paint dry and get a snap. Limey

Incredible work there Limey,

It's just too cool.

I can't pick a fav they're all awesome.

O

T

Awesome painting of the queen bee, man. Beautiful!!

L
Limey posted on Sun, Aug 3, 2008 3:05 PM

Kia ora one and all. I thought I would add these two newbies to the mix. Working on the last piece for the show now and getting excited. I'm calling it Grand-Land. Come along if you are in the hood.

Ten Cent Mix 101 x 84 cm, Oil on Linen
With time, small treasures of a by-gone era slip out of sight and into memory.
In a by-gone era, cars were cool, summers were hot and the high point of a day was a trip to the dairy where everything I could ever want could be bought for a dollar.

Kehu 101 x 84 cm, Oil on Linen
As bushman and tracker for Brunner, Heaphy and Fox, KehuÕs job was to keep the party alive as they arduously chartered the north-west of Te Wai Pounamu. Heaphy concluded that Kehu was worth his weight in tobacco! - The perfect bushman.

Yipee! New paintings to gawk in amazment at!
Kehu ~ Dark, moody, swampy. Me like.
You make me wanna take up oils.

Great work! I'm humbled.

L
Limey posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 2:22 AM

Thanks for checking in TS. glad you like, respect. Ohhh mann! the things you could do with oils. Alas.., we must wait until the oils find you, but we live in hope.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 4:09 AM

I love how you can go from bright retro social pop culture references to dark moody surrealist landscapes at the drop of a hat, yet they sill both have an umistakeable common heritage. I also like how they both 'deal' (for want of a better term) with different periods in NZ history :D Stunning work as always

L
Limey posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 3:03 PM

Thanks Hewey, I think the period shift comes from the way a my paintings develop their own story as they unfold. I don't always know what's going to come out the other end but when it feels right I just go with it. Besides, the amount of energy I would put into a painting like 'Ten Cent Mix' (re: bag of mixed lollies (candy)) as opposed to 'Kehu' differs somewhat. Pysically very taxing, so there's nothing like a moody backdrop to mung out to. Ha. As a body of work, it's a bit incongruous, but what the hey!, ultimately, I do them for me after all.

Kia ora!!

Surrealism is one tough nut to crack ... yet you seem to create a sense of detail and believability that exceeds the subject matter. You do have a unique talent!! Keep up the good work.

Pages: 1 2 47 replies