Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Nautical style in tiki bars

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

Danny, this is the place on the central coast I was telling you about at the Tonga Hut.
Nice stop for a road trip in the roadster. Aloha

Now that is nice Ron! Thanks alot.

On 2008-02-27 19:03, bongofury wrote:
Danny, this is the place on the central coast I was telling you about at the Tonga Hut.

What city?

On 2008-02-27 19:03, bongofury wrote:

Great pictures Bongofury!!

G

Those booths! They're fantastic! Yes, where is this? WHAT is this?

I don't remember the name of the place it's in the small beach town of Cayucos on the ocean side of the main street. It's small (I think there is only 8 ot 10 tables downstairs and an ocean view bar upstairs) but you can't miss it.

H

On 2008-02-29 20:29, bongofury wrote:
I don't remember the name of the place it's in the small beach town of Cayucos on the ocean side of the main street. It's small (I think there is only 8 ot 10 tables downstairs and an ocean view bar upstairs) but you can't miss it.

Schooners Wharf
171 N Ocean Ave
Cayucos, CA 93430

Castaways, Bradford Street, Birmingham, England.

If anyone already subscribes, there is a tempting article here http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-12476794.html

On 2007-05-04 08:28, Swanky wrote:
I just read this. The place in Atlanta is Dante's Down the Hatch. It doesn't get much more nautical than that! A ship right in the restaurant! My idea was to make my bar like the prow of a ship and everyone sits around the outside... Flash site. Can't post images.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2007-05-04 08:31 ]

Yeas, it IS a Flash-site, but I DO have a way of posting images, and I'll soon be posting a BUNCH!

But here's ONE just for starters...

And Bigbro's right -- they sure don't make 'em like THAT anymore! This place is themed within an inch of it's life! It's like an even more elaborate version of the French Marketplace in West Hollywood with a huge ship stuck in the middle, or Disneyland's Blue Bayou -- minus the bayou!

And since we're on a nautical theme here on this thread, I'll re-post a few images of Marina Del Rey's vintage (60's) and gorgeous The Warehouse...

Sven pointed out that House Of Blues clearly "stole" their design vibe from this place.

And, speaking of the Svenster :wink: , here're two of his lovely Warehouse images...

Hard to get decent pics inside 'cause it's SO bloody dark. GREAT for ambiance. NOT great for photography...

See what I mean?

Actually, it wouldn't take a whole lot to transform The Warehouse into a first class tiki palace, what with the lagoon out front complete with flaming tiki torches, and all the float-lights, etc. And it would take even less work to make it a quasi-tiki/nautical fusion place.

Heck, it already HAS a token tiki presence inside with two quasi-tiki poles. Here's one of 'em...

Frankly I'm just grateful this classic slice of 60's restaurant goodness is still there and in excellent condition. When I went there recently for the first time, my jaw dropped. Having grown up in L.A. in the 60's I thought HOW did I manage to miss THIS place? It was like stepping into a vintage restaurant time machine!

Cheers & Mahalos :drink: :tiki:

C

On 2008-01-06 16:35, Mai Tai wrote:

On 2007-05-08 20:37, RevBambooBen wrote:

Here's a fine matchbook I found from a cool looking place in Oakland. One can only assume that it was nautical inside, being named after one of the finest (partially South Sea) writers and skippers there ever was:

Is that Yoshis Now?

That place is still there, and nope, it's not Yoshi's. It's now Scott's Seafood. (Yoshi's is across the street). My dad also remembers The Bow and Bell restaurant - he's not sure if it was the same building as this one or different. Evidently Joe Dimaggio was partner in one of these.

Sea Wolf was a fine slightly upscale seafood place, similar to it's successor, Scott's [but not part of a chain]. The nautical theme was not particularly predominent; it was just a nice place on the water. The name came from the fact that the district is known as Jack London Square, not from any really strong attempt to build a theme around him or his travels.

Bow and Bell was next store. We went there from time to time when I was a kid, but I don't remember it very much. If I recall correctly, it was roughly where a Caribbean place called Miss Pearl's Jam House is now; the old building is long gone and the footprints don't correlate very well. B&B was part owned by a then-prominent local athlete named Jackie Jenson; I don't think Joe D was ever involved in any business around the Square, but I could be wrong.

The Square was also the site of a rooftop restaurant named The Castaway. I don't remember it as well as I should, but it definitely has a Poly flair, with nets and fishing floats and tropical foliage and the like.

chiwito

K

On 2007-04-29 16:16, Formikahini wrote:

Port of Call (Port o' Call?) in New Orleans would definitely be a hit for this thread. Very very port-ish, lotsa bamboo, and a couple of lame tikis. On the edge of The Quarter.
Best burgers in the city.

I was there a couple of weeks ago- it was SO dark and grungy inside I really only saw some nautical rope and bamboo in the dark haze- but they did have killer rum drinks at $5 a pop! My friend raved about her burger- I ate her baked potato.

The intro to my post is for all you SpongeBob fans out there:

“If nautical nonsense be somethin' ya wish.
Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish.”

I love the nautical/tiki cross-over theme.
Some of my favorites.

A few more postcards from the Tonga Room which has historically had a nautical theme.

Ship’s rigging from the Kona Kai at the Marriot in Philadelphia

Singapore Joes from the Kon Tiki Ports in Chicago

The great ship’s wheel at Skipper Kents in SF

Ports o Call in San Pedro

Postcard from the Hurricane Motor Lodge in
Check out the ship in the parking lot

The inside of the bar (poly pop) and restaurant (nautical)

Not sure this one counts but I had to put it in here
The Underwater Bar at the Jules Verne Room in Florida

The Beachcomber Bar in England

Some places from Hawaii.

Davey Jones Locker

Fisherman’s Wharf

The Schooner

That be all for now.

Captain DC

Exceptionally hip. Thanks to all for sharing.

A couple more entries for the Nautical look.

The Castaway restaurant in San Mateo

The Polynesian Village restaurant at the Sommerset Hotel in Boston.

The Warehouse in Marina Del Rey

DC

I love the pic's! Bars like this have so much character and make the general atmosphere of the place much livlier! :)

V

Recently, I was on a business trip near Stockton. I had some time to kill, so I went exploring through the Delta. This Nautical bar was among my finds.

On 2009-07-25 23:36, VonTiki wrote:
Recently, I was on a business trip near Stockton. I had some time to kill, so I went exploring through the Delta. This Nautical bar was among my finds.

VonTiki,

What is the name and location of this cool place?

DC

I'm wondering if it's this place http://www.thespindrift.com

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-07-26 09:50 ]

Ya , that's it.
I can't believed they reopened it.
I thought it was gone. It looks great.

Bar opens at 8:00 AM. Welcome to the Delta!
I/we have to go for a grog!

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2009-07-26 11:01 ]

ROADTRIP!

Just found this place 26 miles from the Spindrift:
Has anybody been to the Rusty Porthole ? (Place joke here.)
Last night they just had a "come as" Beach Blanket Bingo party.

I can't find any pics, but it looks like a possibly good nautical dive bar.

Looks like a Delta bar crawl is in order. Nice, balmy delta evening, a convertible with the top down, perfectly balanced tropical drinks, good friends, a recipe for a perfect night.

And Unga, I like how your dirty mind works, but here's the real story behind the name of the Rusty Porthole: While trying to decide on a name for this establishment, Captain John went to his favorite place of thought, Twin Island. Upon disembarking his boat, our hero stubbed his toe on a metal object. So curious was he that he set about digging out this object. Lo and behold he discovered it was a rusty porthole. After a discovery of such magnitude, it was easy to name the restaurant. The rusty porthole now hangs as a testimony for all to see.

V

That is it. The SpinDrift.The Gigantic ship's wheel that has the lantern's hanging from it is supposedly the spare wheel from the Titanic. They always make two of everything in case something breaks, and that is the spare,I was told. The beer was cold. Did'nt try the Mai Tai, but if it was anything like the greasy burger I was served, well, consider yourselves warned.

Bump!
Would love to see more vintage and new, nautical bars and/or eateries.

Spenger's Fish Grotto
Berkeley, CA

Not Tiki but definitely nautical. This place must have over 100 ship's wheels displayed throughout their many rooms. I also noticed many of their walls were made of wood hatches.
It has a great old-school feel, and the food we had was unexpectedly good (I read lots of negative reviews on the food). Their happy hour deals on food will get us back in there soon...

Here's some pics, some off the web and some I took last night...

Trad'r Bill

Magical place
So how much Nautical is acceptable in a Tiki bar?

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2010-01-30 14:55 ]

On 2009-07-21 17:13, Dustycajun wrote:
A couple more entries for the Nautical look.

DC

80 cent beer, $7 steaks! Ah the good ole days!

On 2010-01-29 20:28, Trader Bob wrote:
Magical place

[ Edited by: Trader Bob 2010-01-30 14:55 ]

How much ya got?
IMHO, Nautical, Hawaiian, Surf, Tiki...all connected

Some purely Nautical establishments from 1968 that might give you some good ideas for tiki room decor:

The Nantucket Cove, Chicago :down:

The Windjammer, Cincinnati OH :down:

The San Salvador, in the San Diego International Airport :down:

Castagnola's Lobster House, Santa Barbara CA :down:

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-01-31 01:00 ]

you made my jaw drop tim! those postcards are amazing!
I love this thread, thanks everyone for sharing

Love the entrance to Bernstein's Fish Grotto in San Francisco:

A classic! I think there's a great menu in the Jim Heimann Menu Cover book.

I just remembered another ship's prow place that hasn't found its way here yet: Del Webb's Ocean House at the Mission Bay Inn in San Diego. Can someone post pics?

Sabu,

Nice posts. Are those from a 1968 restaurant guide? The Castagnola's Lobster House was the first restaurant I ever went to in Santa Barbara when I came down to check the place out for college. It is now a Rusty's Pizza Parlor. The light house tower is still there, but nothing else.

Bigbro,

Here are some shots of Del Webb's Ocean House with the ship design in the front of the building from a brochure I have.

Front View

Side View

Rendering

Inside, the Galleon Room.

The Jolly Roger Lounge.

DC

This bar and restaurant is at the marina in Cape May, New Jersey. I don't recall the name, but it was the last bar we stopped at before heading home on the ferry and wished we had found it earlier in the day so we could have had lunch. Not tiki, but it had that great nautical vibe.

We were here in late December and it was cold, so the boat bar was empty.
Great idea though. I would like to sit at a bar like this with an icey-cold Mai Tai.
KG

Where do you get those Hawaiian thing-a-ma-jigs? You know, those hula do-dads.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-25 19:18 ]

Picked this up today from a local Craig's list. I can't fit it in the current edition of the Honolulu Lounge... but I'm sure I will find a use for it somewhere. 60" x 30" Liberty Ship hatch cover with brass trim and handles, coated in resin.

I was too late to grab the smaller table below, but the photo gives you a view of what the top of the longer cover I bought looks like.

KG

Where do you get those Hawaiian thing-a-ma-jigs? You know, those hula do-dads.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff 2010-03-31 14:26 ]

UT

The Ship Restaurant and Tavern in Bonita Springs Florida. This great old building has seen many changes over the years. It's last incarnation was as the Landmark Bingo Hall. My sister remembers going to dinner there years back and said it was a great place. Empty now but still there and up for sale for the small price of $4.25 million. It looked allot better in its original state but has been depirated.

Image from Cardcow's site.

Today.

On 2010-01-29 20:28, Trader Bob wrote:

I think there's a TiPSY vs NiPSY factor that says you're either a Tiki or Nautical bar, but of course a little of either are welcome in both.

Words can't describe how much I love this thread.

Keeping my fins crossed to see some great old Wreck Bar adverts, postcards or pictures~

Marina

P

On 2010-04-04 16:17, uncle trav wrote:
The Ship Restaurant and Tavern in Bonita Springs Florida.

We ate there in 2002 when we lived in Bonita Springs. Staff was unfriendly and stuck us up front in steerage since we weren't dressed to their satisfaction. Food was OK. We didn't get to see the entire restaurant, but what I saw I liked. I wish I could find pictures of the interior.

I found this mug from Moultrays Four Winds Pirate Restaurant with nice crude graphics that will soon be filled with rum

and the bottom even has a compass on it.

Naugatiki,

Nice mug. I saw this matchbook from Moultray's.

Interesting that they had a New Orleans influence with the Mardi Gras and New Orleans Rooms.

I always wondered if this place was related to the Moultray's Polynesian restaurant at the 1964 World's Fair in New York.

DC

T

Dusty, according to William G. Moultray's Obit aside from the two Four Winds Restaurants, he also had food concessions at the Seattle, New York, Montreal and San Antanio (sp?) Worlds Fairs. He died in 2001.

aloha, tikicoma

The Queen Anne's Revenge in Charleston, SC has over a million dollars worth of nautical artifacts and art.

Dante's Down The Hatch in Atlanta, GA has a fully decked-out faux-sailing ship hitched to a pier.

On 2007-04-29 15:41, Humuhumu wrote:
Here's some pictures I took at Harpoon Harry's in Huntington Beach in 2003:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/roadtripmay2003/harpoonharrys/

(They're kinda dark, so I won't bother posting them here individually)

And of course there's the Warehouse in Marina del Rey. I don't think I've ever taken any really good pictures of the place... it's worth going to check out yourself, anyhow.

http://www.stockteam.com/harpoon_harrys.html

Harpoon Harry's in Sunset Beach, California
UPDATE: Business is being renovated and will become another restaurant under the Schooner or Later (Alamitos Landing, Long Beach) umbrella. Reports say similar menu will be served to the harborside restaurant a few miles north.

Harpoon Harry's Restaurant 16821 Pacific Coast Hwy. Sunset Beach, CA 90742

Here are some pics from Knotical Art, a booth at Crafted in San Pedro, and Utro's, a burger and beer restaurant next to the fisherman's wharf in San Pedro.
Crafted is a cool place to go to find gourmet food items, handmade jewelry, and assorted crafts. I found a cool terrarium with black sand that I added some mini tikis to. http://www.craftedportla.com

Gus Lopez works on a tugboat and learned how to tie knots while going through training at sea. He makes really cool oval rope mats and other assorted knot art like knot boards, nets, monkey fists, etc. http://www.knoticalart.com

Knotical Art:

Light fixture.

Utro's is a family owned and run restaurant. The owner is a retired longshoreman. They close pretty early so call first.

Bahooka wasn't the only place with ship chain tables. This is actually in a storage area.

View from the patio.

The fish sculpture has nautical bric-a-brac in it.

Of course the USS Iowa, SS Lane Victory and the Maritime Museum in San Pedro are full of nautical history too and all worth a visit.

This phone booth is from a steakhouse in Pinellas Park, Florida in 1973:

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2013-05-03 17:16 ]

Sabu, that is awesome!

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies