Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

what is the meaning of sticking out your tongue in tiki culture?

Pages: 1 25 replies

maori mimicking?

offering to lick stamps?

promoting tongue health?

discuss.

I

getting the last drop of a mai-tai from the bottom of the glass?

My Daughter used to do this to show how much of a good time she was having, we'd say she was "Looking for a Free Tonsil Exam."

On 2007-05-03 10:56, ikitnrev wrote:
getting the last drop of a mai-tai from the bottom of the glass?

I admit I have done this a few times,forgive me.
but it is getting outta hand.
or should I say outta mouth.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

History states.......Showing the greeting (sticking out of tongue) of the early Maoris, the warriors determine if you come to fight or if you’ve come in peace.

I really think it was a way to try to attract women. :wink:

MR

Oh brother.

I

Here are a few more theories ....

1. As Matt Reese states, they are referring to the Joan Baez song 'Oh Brother'
    ' You've got eyes like Jesus, but
    you speak like a viper's tongue'

2. By sticking out their tongue, they are flaunting their ability to speak tongue twisters

'Princess Pupule has plenty papayas' (say 5 times fast)

1. Sticking out tongue covers up missing tooth knocked out in yesterday's barroom brawl

2. It shows you are totally serious. After all, the phrase 'tongue-in-cheek' means you are half poking fun at something. By sticking your tongue 100% out of your mouth, there is little left in your cheek - which means you are then completely serious.

This is best illustrated, relatively speaking, with the following photo,

1. It's a Masonic/gang symbol thing, showing you are a member of the 'Knights in Satan's Service' Gene Simmons Memorial Lodge.

2. It's a Freudian gesture - what they really want is a cigar in their mouth

3. As VampiressRN mentioned, it is a Confidence building sexual gesture.

'Damn the Consequences, Full Vagina Dentata Ahead'

1. It is an unvoluntary muscle gesture. The more alcohol one drinks, the less control one has over one's muscles - all muscles tend to hang loose and point to the floor.

2. They are sadists, looking for a tongue lashing.

(Arrrrrr! Bonus Pirate Connection! Some say that the expression "Cat got your Tongue" comes from the days of sailing ships, and refers to the cat of nine tails. If an officer told someone something in secrecy, he might warn that he would 'get the cat' if he was to tell the others. When others wanted to gain information from a silent crewmate, they might thus say 'Tell us, or has the cat got your tongue! )

1. It is an intellectual Maori thing - you wouldn't understand.

I've done it in the past. I try to keep it in as much as possible. But, sometimes it just slips. Maybe it's because I never got that bread and wine gig at my church back then? Or, I was supposed to be a teenager in the 60's? Last Oasis, I did it alot cause it matched the Trader Morts Mug that I held all weekend. Or, maybe I was supposed to be a lizard?? Or, I'm brainwashed by the Kiss concert I went to in 4th grade at the Forum?? Hmmmmmmmm. There's got to be a shrink here on TC that can finger it out.

I wouldnt know.
My facial expression is usually most similar to a moai.

..sbim

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 8:28 PM

This is what we were told at a cultural centre in NZ, not sure of its authenticity:
When a maori tribe was visited by members of another tribe, they would send their best warriors out to taunt them. If the visitors were foes, it was a great way of freaking them out. The visitors would not stand the taunts and they would attack. If they came in peace they would cop it until they were invited in. The insults were along the lines of "your skin look delicous, I can't wait to eat you!" Sticking out your tongue is a good facial to pull after this

I don't know if other Polynesian cultures practiced this, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Poly pop has taken this and used it with all kinds of tikis, as poly pop does :D The fact it looks cool on a tiki is a big part of it.

Alright...alright...
If no one else is gonna do it....

I knew that was coming. :D

Sawdust in mouth! Ptoooooey!

Probably just a coincidence, but many scholars believe the Polynesians originally came from East of the Himalayas via the Malay archipelago. The coincidence being that the Tibetans also did (do?) a tongue sticking out thing as part of their culture- a common form of formal Tibetan greeting.

TM

This is easy to answer.

The polynesians did not migrate from the south east asia, as is commonly believed. Nor did they come from south america, (as Thor heyerdahl would have you believe).

They were ex-Pentacostals from Kansas city, Missouri, tired after a long day!!

I

Tongue exposure must be going mainstream, as it is worthy of an article in the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/17/AR2007081702323.html

T

Don't you wish sticking out your tongue had stayed underground?

Just ask SoccerTiki

"show us YOUR petri dish!" :D

The sacrificial deathtrap pits were located directly in front of the tikis with their tongues out because they attracted the curiosity of visiting strangers yet were off limits to tribespeople. Visiting outsiders were lured to the tongue tikis and fell into the traps when they got too close.

T

Does this tongue look really white to anyone??

tongue bump

I had to consciously stop sticking out my tongue after I ruined a family picture at a wedding.

H

This looks better.

Inspired by Benzart's Vicious mug, we made the 'Split Personality' mosaic. Sorry Soccer, it really was Benz' mug, not yours.

ch

Pages: 1 25 replies