H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 2, 2007 8:15 PM

On 2007-07-02 13:13, VanTiki wrote:
A weird fish mug, or a weird mounted fish wall hanging

Whatever you want to make :D

Here's a sneak peek...

I

Hi all,

Is there a place where I can find out what the guidelines of the swap are, and is there a swap involving non-carved art items?

Take care,

I.

Oh Man I'm totally in... well, as long as it's cool to rock out a tangaroa.

Granted, I'm in the middle of making multiple moai and I have a show that I'm working on a few pieces for that opens Aug 25th, but... if we're looking at the last week of August for completion I'm so game it isn't funny.

Can we settle on a definite date for completion/shipping...

F

Hi Guys
Ivanchan, there is a previous swap thread which details everything, but it is quite simple, produce something by August end, enter it into the swap and you will be drawn a recipient of your piece, equally you will recieve a piece from another maker.

ohtikhinikho we'll decide the completion date towards the end of August.

Let me know your definately in and I'll add your name to the list.

We welcome all types of art not just carving, see previous posts for details of the theme.

As some of you guys know I'm struggling with a knackered arm but I'm doing a piece I've had a go at before a Marquesan fish god. Look forward to seeing the progress pics

Regards to all
Flynny

V

Okay - I've been wrestling with coming up with a nautical theme for this swap - and I finally got something sketched out that I feel will be "swap worthy" - I present the "Octo-Hat":

A submerged tiki mug with coral growths and a removable octopus hat (with straw hole). Time to put on my summer swap swim suit! :)

Henrik "VanTiki"

ST

As some of you guys know I'm struggling with a knackered arm
Regards to all
Flynny

Funny, I'm laboring on with a knackered liver. All I've managed to do is make contact with a source of surfboard foam and drink a lot...and we don't even have any waves right now. For my East Coast brethren: the surf should be awesome next week 'cause I'll be in Denver.

ST

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jul 16, 2007 9:49 PM

The octo hat looks awesome Van!

Im struggling with not enough time... :(

OK! I'm definitely IN!

I need to do a little research on shipping size guidelines because I'd like to go as BIG as possible!

You can check out some of my recent paintings here.

I should have pics of the Moai I'm working on up soon and I'll post the preliminarys for the swap here.

T

oooh Do a mini Punchy or Oaf.
Cool stuff.

B

Well, I've thought a little about this art swap lately, and since I'm right in the middle of making mugs and playing with clay for awhile...I think I will join Van and offer up something ceramic. I have been playing with adding on a new (1 of 1) hand built lid for one of the Man of War mugs...I will make a few to see what works the best...here's the first.

V

Lookin' good Babalu!

Got the clay octo-hat for the swap roughed out today:

letting him dry a bit before detailing. Hope he pulls through the firing ok!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Ok, I watched the process of mold making at the june chop, my question is how the HELL could you make a mold of that! Lord have mercy! Or more a relevant question, how do you mass produce a mug like that??? Inquiring minds wanna know!

P

If you're talking about VanT's mug Birdman, the answer is - he doesn't! All his stuff is one-off hand-built originals - that's what makes 'em so cool.
Man, the stuff posted so far has set the bar pretty high...I better start trying to come up with something equally good for this one! Hmmm......

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-07-24 17:53 ]

V

Aloha BirdMan -

Paipo is right, all my mugs are one-of-a-kind pieces. I like to make one-off mugs because I don't have to worry about the restrictions of producing a mold-ready production master and I really like the concept of carrying the one-of-a-kind aspect of a wood/stone carving into the clay medium. You can check out my thread over in the "Other Crafts" forum for the full story.

Paipo - you know my fingers are crossed for drawing your name! :)

T

I'm done with the red one.
Here it is.

Here's a little more - almost done.

B

Dang!! You all are showing down some major impressive work here on this thread!

W

Bump for an up date ?

ST

Hey all,

I am not feeling real creative lately so I am not planing on doing a piece right now for the swap. Things may change though, you never know.

Sorry.

Looking damn swell in here!

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-08-16 15:36 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Aug 11, 2007 3:42 PM

Things are tight in terms of workshop time lately, so I'm not sure if I'll be in now either. If I do get a piece done it will likely be right on the deadline.

B

Here is mine. This will be a one off glaze...two heads...one hand built.

Well it only took me a few weeks but I finally took some decent opics of my swap piece. Carved in Mahogay and about 15" tall. He's a little wobbly so i may put him on a pedestal to make him more secure. I started this about 2 months ago when we first discussed a swap. I was pretty far along when we decided on the nautical theme, so the shell was more of an after thought. The shell is an Apple snail shell that I found out in my garden. He's not very nautical but hope everyone likes him enough to include him in the Swap. Enjoy.

Wow - there is some incredible work going into the hat for this round... I probably went a little overboard time-wise for my first swap and so reigned it in this time round; now Im thinking that my entry may seem a bit weak, doh! - Tell you what, depending on the magnitude of drawn swap, I will pump up to a 'fairer' deal if necessary.

When is the actual deadline again..???

T3 :)

T

That is AWESOME!

That decanter/mug is crazee good Babalu!

Here is a pic of the assemblage I constructed using a shadow box , bike reflectors, Dentalium shells for teeth, clam shell tiles and cowry shell eyes, acrylic paint and a wood serving dish:

Wow is right!

By the way what is the due date? thanks, some great stuff this swap!

Amy

F

Hi Guys
Here's my entry to the swap

Not been doing much lately due to my knackered arm, good news though, operation scheduled mid October.
Guess we'll have to set a date for all completed works, what about Saturday 30th, I'll Pm GMan and see if he's up for doing the draw.

Regards to all
Flynny

P

Well maybe someone should come round and knacker my arm for me, cause that's a pretty sweet hook! I am definitely gonna get something done for this now.

P

"knacker" your arm?

well, i'm unsure of that. i haven't posted too much lately. i have a nice piece for the swap. i've had some "tool" problems these past weeks, but i'll still get my piece done in the next few days. i have some time off from work.

"knacker"? still wonder about that. hope it's okay. if not, please send all your unused jade this way. check is in the post.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 18, 2007 5:18 AM

Gman is available to do the draw. You all having fun?

-G

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 18, 2007 6:59 AM

I'm hoping to hook in tomorrow and sling some paint :D There'll be pics if I do

ST

Man,

I am really unhappy wit my lack of motivation this time around. There is sweet-ass stuff getting swapped!!

Flynny, that Hook is off dah hook! Really great texture and design.
ST

V

Whew - as many have said already, there is some great stuff here! THe 30th, huh? It is gonna be tight for me - but I think I can make it. I've been up to my eyeballs renovating our bathroom - and it looks like it will be a full-time gig for me for at least another 2 weeks. I'll bisque the octo-hat mug tomorrow and if it survives the firing I'll do my best to get it glazed by the 30th. Who needs sleep! :)

M

30th this month is on a Thursday, I wouldn't mind a little more time - Sept 1st is a 3 day weekend - maybe after that weekend? Maybe on the 4th? 30th or 31st works ok too though. As long as I have one more weekend. :)
I'm really excited about this swap - got such a great piece last time, and made new friends. :)

On 2007-08-20 12:34, mieko wrote:
30th this month is on a Thursday, I wouldn't mind a little more time - Sept 1st is a 3 day weekend - maybe after that weekend? Maybe on the 4th? 30th or 31st works ok too though. As long as I have one more weekend. :)
I'm really excited about this swap - got such a great piece last time, and made new friends. :)

Please............................................

OK, I guess I'll chime in. We did say the end of August with plenty of time to prepare (31st). There were several folks that were not pleased with the delay on the last Swap. If you're started and close to completing - thats fine with me. I live with deadlines every month, they're a bitch, but necessary to get everyone motivated. Of course I wouldn't be so gungho if I wasn't done. Come on - sleep is just a state of mind!!

P

my peice as it sits right now. should be done in the next couple of days.

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-08-21 22:43 ]

F

Hi Guys
If people need a couple more days, what say we do the draw on Sunday 2nd September from a list of people who have completed their projects. Like Aloah I think most people should have got their stuff together by then bearing in mind we did say end of August.
Let me know what you think.
There's some really excelent pieces in the swap already, should be enough incentive for the rest to finish and we haven't seen the most excellent NZ stoners yet, I was lucky enough to recieve a piece from Tama in the last swap, lucky guy, If there's a chance of that you wanna get those pieces finished.

Regards to all
Flynny

P

I finally started something today, but I think I'll wait to post pics when it's done. I can say it will be Marquesan in flavour...I think that'll make 4 in a row! :roll:

Flynny, your submission is really beautiful, love the texture on that hook.

I can be done by the second. I just need the weekend to finish up...I have been traveling so much for work

Amy

T

I'm done ready to go.
Say when.

'Wyoming Matau' 99% complete - should be done tommorrow.

Can I suggest that we set a date for posting piccies of finished pieces (even those who have done so already), and set the date for drawing a day or two later? Just thought it might give us all time to peruse whats in the hat...

Tama :)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 26, 2007 4:11 AM

I'm having big trouble with mine, just doesn't want to play ball :( Still aiming to get something in, but got to rethink my whole plan...

B

Hey All,

I have to leave the Country from tomorrow (27th) thru Monday (3rd)...won't be able to ship to whomever until the 4th. Sorry if this screws things up.

Peace

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies