Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Summer Swap - Draw done - Thanks GMan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies

I have a similar situation as Babalu. I will be leaving for a week on the 2nd and won't be back till till the 9th. I will ship my peice on the 10th and will be in touch base then.

I'm finished, but it's not exactly what I started out thinking I'd do...
I've had 3 deadlines drop in my lap since including myself in this whole deal. If I can get the computer to address my camera I'll get pictures up ASAP, if not I'll have 'em up when I get back to town on Tuesday. I can ship sometime after!

V

Aloha all -

Still scrambling around the bathroom project. I hope to have time to glaze this weekend - but it is gonna be tight. I may have to bow out of this wondrous experiment! :( Stupid plumbing!

Henrik "VanTiki"

T

Vantiki Good luck on your bathroom.
your stuff is great.

detail.

P

I changed projects as my other piece was taking too long and wasn't really "nautical" in flavour, but this one certainly is:

The toggle is a real piece of beach glass as found (apart from the hole), the hook is made to look like it is! I toyed with the idea of enclosing it in a net like a float lamp but I don't know how to do that (yet)...
Hopefully there will be some more pieces posted up in the next few days?

I RATT'ed you out on Tiki shout about this piece bein' posted. It KIX! Dig the incised triangle pattern and the chunky shape of the beach glass.

W

All right Swappers,
Here is Fishmon. He is done on time & ready to travel.
He caught this big ol fish & it's so big he can hardly
hold it up. His legs are buckling & he's almost crying.
Can ya feel the pain ?

That turned out beautifully, love the negative space 'twixt fish and tiki!

Awesome carving Wplugger - someone will be very please to draw your name!

Paipo: great minds think alike... :o

Here is my entry: based on an old Matau from my family lines but with a spin of its own. Carved in Wyoming nephrite/jade.

Anything special about this you might ask? Of course! For the mouth detail Ive revisited an old technique - very old; hundreds of years old. Neolithic even..

Made using 'scarfing' tools - basically cutting/abrading 'blades' made from greywacke stone. These are carefully worked back and forth, lubricated by a little water.. Not the quickest technique in the world and although cheap, I wont be swapping my diamond tools any time soon - but unless you have a time-machine this is probably the closest that most of us will get to handling/owning an 'authentic' neolithic Taonga..

I hope the drawn swapper likes it! I will finish the bindings to whatever length suits.

Tama :)

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 1, 2007 6:46 PM

Well shit, just as well I didn't do that too (I had contemplated etching a Tang mouth and eyes on one of the "bell-ends")!
Makes mine look pretty ordinary, even though I could've actually made a jade one myself in less time than the glass one took (once the sandblasting/etching is taken into account post-sanding). I had it drawn up and cut out already so I just picked it up and went with it.

I've gotta say there is some damn good stuff this time round. wplugger, that fish man is incredible!

I would suggest maybe holding off on all the pics until the due date next time, in case pieces that are posted don't actually end up in the draw?!? andw what's our new cut-off date for the stragglers?

PS: that is a very neat scarfing job - you'd be hard pressed to get grooves that crisp with even a #600 burr...

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-09-01 18:47 ]

M

Wplugger-
He turned out great. He looks as if he is struggling with the weight og the fish.

M
mieko posted on Sat, Sep 1, 2007 11:23 PM

Mine is veeeerrry close, will have pictures up tomorrow!

On 2007-09-01 23:23, mieko wrote:
Mine is veeeerrry close, will have pictures up tomorrow!

meeee tooooooo

F

Hi Guys
There's some excellent pieces in this swap. Tama, Paipo nice work
I'll put the completed list on P1 we could do with one more (13 on the completed list)
and include Queen K, Meiko, vantiki and Otikiniko and PD Drake as they have posted that they are alomst completed.
When do we want GMan to do the draw.

Regards
Flynny

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-09-02 00:14 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 6:44 AM

Does Gman get the fishing tiki for doing the draw :) :) :) ?????

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 7:54 AM

I'll have mine finished tomorrow night

O

Here's my painting... it's 7.25"x16" (just so ya' get the scale)

She's called "Born of Water" and has 3 sisters each representing a different element.

I'll post more pics of recent work when I get home next week... including one of her sisters "Born of Fire".

Hope you all enjoy, especially the lucky artist that gets to adopt her.

pronounced: oh-tee khe-nee kho

[ Edited by: otikiniko 2007-09-07 14:54 ]

Ok, here's my piece, it's pirate tiki , done with beach pebble from Paipo. Its a bit whimsical, the pictures do show the detail, hope you like it.

Amy
It's about 2 inches tall, the cord is imitation deer sinew, using both brown and black in the braid. Toggle is a beach pebble as well

great work everybody! looks like everyone's a winner here.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 3:40 PM

It just keeps getting better! Here's a a nicer pic of mine:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-09-02 15:40 ]

TL

Aloha!

I'll be posting a photo of mine tomorrow afternoon. My new job and T.O. 7 kinda slowed me down.

See ya tomorrow!

B

ALL this Stuff is looking Great, Otikiniko, Love your "Born of Water" painting it's really Sweet. Will I've been watching your fisherman struggling with that giant fish and am Sincerely impressed with Your skill level. Well done. Amy, yours too is Really as Keeper, One I would Certainly LOVE to Win. Tama and Paipo, you each must have been spying on each other. I think it is Hilarious that you Both come up with these Phallic symbols at the same time. Jolly Good Show and Tama not only using the "Ways of the Ancients", bud showing us your Ancient tools you made yesterday on your Electric Grinder. :lol: :lol: :lol:. Sneaky and Flynny yours too are Awesome pieces and PDrake I see yours is not finished yet but I'll bet it will be for sure, and it is looking like a Magnificent piece too. You guys would have ALL made me look bad so I guess that must be why I'm sitting on the sidelines of this one.
Next time, I'm in!
EXCELLENT WORK Guys, HappyHappyHappy

M
mieko posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2007 9:22 PM

Ok, here's mine. My original idea was to do different sealife, but I couldn't figure that out, so it ended up being just the octopus. Which also made it very similar to VanTiki's mug by accident.
(Edit - forgot there's no scale - he's 2 inches tall and can be made into a pendant if the recipient desires)

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2007-09-03 00:41 ]

very cool! nice blend of ideas!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 8:12 AM

Some awesome art being produced for this :D

Here's my piece, fought me every bloody step! Enamel on stretched canvas. Crappy pic, but batteries were dieing so I didn't have time to line up a good one... :lol: Obviously it's a Tangaroan couple, Tang being the god of the sea.

TL

Wow, yeah, everyone's piece is fantastic! I hope mine is worthy of all the rest of them...

Here it is: a Witco-Inspired Fish

It's 18" by 9" by 1 1/2" thick, and made of Doug Fir since ya just can't get a good size piece of Redwood here in Vegas. Doug Fir has an awesome grain, it's just harder to work with and takes more effort to achieve the same effect as redwood.

Mahaloz!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 3, 2007 11:01 PM

So who are we still waiting on? Let's get this happening....

F

Hi Guys
We have 15 completed or almost completed, one more person would make for an even draw, if all else fails I will donate a second piece, how about Wednesday for the draw.
Regards
Flynny

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2007 5:02 PM

The swap draw results will be posted in the morning - EST. :D

-G

And Gman is unbribeable, so dont even try.. :wink:

One day I will purchase decent dig. camera...

Here is Ku asemblage again...

PS
Tama, I'm really digging "Scarf Face".
The Otikiniko painting is spiffy too, very finely executed!
Mieko, that small carving is really swell, I like the subtle stain on the octopus.
Everyone did a great job!

I'm allz excited.
S
T

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-09-05 01:10 ]

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 7:06 AM

OK boys and girls, the swap drawing is complete. Working from the list provided to me by Flynny......the results are:

Tiki Skip makes for QueenK

Tama makes for AlohaStation

Babalu makes for Paipo

Mieko makes for Van Tiki

Sneaky makes for TikiSkip

WPlugger makes for Babalu

Hewey makes for Flynny

QueenK makes for Otikiniko

VanTiki makes for Sneaky

Paipo makes for Pdrake

Pdrake makes for Hewey

Tiki Lee's makes for Tama

AlohaStation makes for Tiki Lee's

Flynny makes for Mieko

Otikiniko makes for WPlugger

Enjoy!

-G

F
flynny posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 7:28 AM

How chuffed am I yet again. Meiko PM me your address, the Moai hook is ready to go.
Regards
Flynny

T

Hey I'm so glad I get to send to Amy!
I have so many things to send you, Diner stuff.
Oh and the float lamp.
It's going to Rock Hudsons old house!
How great is that.
Amy let me know if there is a color you want.
Red, green or blue?

Also I can't wait to get Sneakys wall art!
I will pm my address.
Hey Amy pm me your address and I will get all out soon.

B

Very Fun!! Thanks G for doing the draw.

Paipo, I hope this mug that I'm sending you is something that you will enjoy. Could you toss me you address Mate? I'll get it airborne for you tomorrow.

Wplugger, I am sooo happy to have your work!! I will treasure it! It will be displayed in a place of honor. Over the years, I have collected art from many friends (the only art I buy really)...your piece will stable up well in my house.

Peace

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-09-05 10:44 ]

The Witco Fish - yippee! Cheers TikiLees; love it! I hope the postage doesnt kill it for you; sloooooow and cheap is fine by me. Ill PM with my address later.

AlohaStation - I hope you like the 'Scarf-face' Wyoming Matau (great name Sneaky). Ill need an address from you..

Well done everyone. Great swap!

Time to start thinking of the next swap-theme..?

Tama :)

Well I knew I could not be disappointed, this swap is so bountiful, great ceramics, wood, jade, glass, stone, paintings, a lantern,....!
I am really excited to get a killer Vantiki original. It's an honor to send to Skip whose lights, rattan, informative posts, and pix are a staple of the healthy TC diet.
It was killing me at work today wondering which "precious" would be Smeagle Teagle's.

I'll Pm my address to VanTiki.

Stoked,
ST

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-09-07 00:43 ]

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2007 3:35 PM

Count me amongst the stoked...so happy to add one of Babalu's awesome mugs to my cabinet o' ceramic curiosities! Perry, if you're reading this, send me your address and your preferred cord length..
This one really had it all...the contributions cover every aspect of "Creating Tiki" as we know it.

excellent!!!!!!! Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

John, Info sent, I am thrilled.....

Otikiniko, please PM me your info, and I will send you the Piratiki pendant, I hope you like it!

Amy

Wow!
Whatta event this was! I'm so jazzed that something I made is going- A) to New Fricken Zealand!, and B) to a guy who's art I'm a big fan of! Maybe I'll be able to afford a Tama Original myself someday (of course, there's always the next "swap!) Tama, I got yer addy and will be shipping a.s.a.p. Definately send a photo or two of my Witco Fish in it's new home when you get it.
AlohaStation- I can hardly wait 'till you get home so you can send me that awesome carving! I'll post a photo here when I "place" it in my Tiki Room.

Mahaloz Plenny, Everybody!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2007-09-05 23:25 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 6, 2007 12:41 AM

Well I knew I could not be disappointed, this swap is so bountiful, great ceramics, wood, jade, glass, paintings, a lantern,....!

Damn straight! What an awesome level of quality, there was nothing I would have been disspointed to score! Very stoked with my hook from pdrake, and stoked to know my painting is going to cool home too :D :D

I also like Tiki Lee's idea above - it would be awesome to see your new bounty displayed in it's new home! :D

BIG thanks to Flynny and Gman for making it happen!

F

Hi Guys
Hewey Your right this swap has been excellent, I really hope everyone is happy with the outcome, It's what I envisaged from the start of the swap, a mix of all types of medium, as I said in the last swap there are guys who produce such quality with annoying regularity, but it's those who really lift their game to produce something for a fellow maker that inspires. There were so many pieces I wished that I had drawn, but that's a tribute to the quality people produced.
A big thanks to those who took part from a non carving background.
Here's to the next swap, probably winter, how about Xmas/New Year
Any Ideas?????
Thanks to all
Regards
Flynny

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 9, 2007 9:43 PM

On 2007-09-06 10:26, flynny wrote:
Here's to the next swap, probably winter, how about Xmas/New Year
Any Ideas?????

Im gonna say deadline end of January. December is just stupid-busy for me and many others. This gives folks a month to get their act together.

Do we want a theme? I like it, because it makes me consider pieces I normally wouldn't. But I think it could be cool if we just do a plan ol tiki swap?

Wow, everything looks great!! I'm kicking myself for being such a lazy bastard now. Of course, I have been getting a lot of surfing in so I don't feel too awful bad. Hopefully I will be able to rally some creative juices for the next one.

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Sep 10, 2007 2:29 PM

On 2007-08-14 22:40, Babalu wrote:
Here is mine. This will be a one off glaze...two heads...one hand built.

Got this baby in the post today! ! OH YEAH! Thanks Babalu!

B

I'm glad it works for you Paipo.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 12, 2007 3:51 PM

At home in the ceramics cabinet, snuggled in with C'Al #1 & #2:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 160 replies