Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

New Tear Drop Campers!

Pages: 1 7 replies

I saw one of these on the road over the weekend enroute to the Dallas T.V.
I wrote down the maker's name and found the site, and now i shall share it with all the ohana here:

http://www.tab-rv.com/

I'm going for the classic aluminum color.

I love it...how fun. Are ya gonna get one....what floor plan?

WoooHoooo! I want one. Any idea of the cost???

I've seen those around...Thought it would be great to tow behind an old Scout, convertalbe or some hip ride, and tour the Route 66 haunts. (or Route 666?)and hit all the roadside attractions.

I think some of the original small teardrops used to have a small kitchen that unfolded from the back...I always liked that.

Great post.

D

So, this isn't about any "NEW" vintage-ish type trailers, but here's a copy of an email I recently got about this years upcoming (May 19th) Newport Dunes Vintage Trailer Rally in Newport Beach Ca. if anyone has an interest in the cool older stuff. It's really worth checking out.

"Newport Dunes Vintage Trailer Rally".
A special "open house" will take place on Saturday, May 19, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., the public is invited to tour our vintage and historically significant vehicles. There is no charge for viewing of the vehicles, but parking at the Dunes is $10 per car..

Last years event was alot of fun.
If your in the area and have an interest I would highly suggest going.

Dear Dawn,
I just wanted to give you a heads up on whats going on with Vintage Vacations this week.

Craig Dorsey (trail-R-boy)

2007 Vintage Vacations Spring Rally

Howdy Folks Well, Spring is here and you know what that means! It's time for the Vintage Vacations Spring rally. As you know, this year I was about 2 months later than normal is posting the info for the rally but as most of you know by now, it completely sold out in record time, in just 12 short days, we sold 120 reservations and probably could have sold 160-175 if I had the sites. It's simply amazing to me to see how this has all grown over the past 10 years from what started as a little 7 page website for me to try and meet someone else that might like old trailers to what has turned into a World trend. For those who new to this list, in 1997 I started the Vintage Vacations website after searching without success for months for info on any type of vintage (pre- 1960) trailer other than and Airstream. At that time, there was no info on the internet at all except for the Vintage Airstream website and 1 or 2 Teardrop trailer sites. Within a few months of getting the site up and running I started working on what was to be my first rally for the following year. We had 19 rigs at that event and were blessed by the surprise arrival of Ruth and Jack Bowlus, Wife and Son of the late Hawley Bowlus, builder of the famed 1934-35 Bowlus-Teller trailers. What a treat that was! Ruth sat around for hours telling stories of the trailer industry in the good old days. Things have changed a lot since that time, Trailers are harder to find, rallies sell out, Vintage trailers have found their way to television, books and clothing and I will never again send you a stamp on an envelope! Speaking of sold out rallies, just because you didn't get a space at this years event is no reason to not share in fun! As always, we will be having an open house this year and the public is invited to come on down for the day and walk around and view all of the wonderful trailers that will be on display. The open house will be Saturday May 19th, 2007 from 11:am till 4:pm only. Go to the Newport Dunes website at for more information and a map on how to get there. I hope to see you there. Craig Dorsey Vintage Vacations

Not to hog in on Tigerlilly's post about Mr. Phoenix's slideshow tonight, but this was all part of the email I got so I just left it in....

Last minute, but if your close by...this is going on tonight in Los Angeles May 11th.

Charles Phoenix and Vintage Trailers @ the Ford

If you were among the lucky few to attend last years rally, then you may remember Charles Phoenix as the wonderfully silly entertainment that graced us with the fantastic slide show on Saturday night. Once again, this Friday night Vintage Vacations and Charles will be teaming up at Charles "The Big Show" at the Ford Amphitheater in Hollywood, Ca. Vintage Vacations will be there with several of our friends and their trailers in support of Charles and his Vintage Americana show. Tickets are still available for this show and we would love to see you there. THE BIG SHOW ONE NIGHT ONLY!!! THE UNITED STATES of CHARLES PHOENIX Friday, May 11, 2007 8:30PM A Live Comedy Retro Slide Show Performance By the "Histo-tainer" Celebrating 50s & 60s Space Age Style, Theme Parks, Tourist Traps, Car Culture, Fashion, and Parties etc IN COLOR!!! Plus Charles will make desert for everyone Master organ stylings by Domenic of Moonlight Rollerway, A Pink Poodle Vintage Vacations® Vintage Travel Trailers The World's Greatest Hula Hooper Sparkling Surprises and more! all under the stars at JOHN ANSON FORD AMPITHEATER* 2580 Cahuenga Blvd. East Hollywood, CA 90068 (just off the 101fwy, across from the Hollywood Bowl, and south of Universal Studios) *Pre Show Picnics, Booze and Vintage Dress Encouraged! TICKETS & INFO General admission: $25.00 (no assigned seating) Full-time students and children 12 and under: $12.00 (323) GO 1-FORD (461-3673)

email: [email protected]
phone: 714-812-6053
web: http://www.vintage-vacations.com

[ Edited by: DawnTiki 2007-05-11 08:05 ]

On 2007-05-10 21:31, VampiressRN wrote:
I love it...how fun. Are ya gonna get one....what floor plan?

I want the biggest I can get (I'm 6ft, so the head room is pretty low for me). I want to get it silver on silver and add vinly flames from my place of employment (you'll see why when you see the pic), but the Mrs. wants something more colorful. I would like to get it to match the colors of the truck that will pull it:

I haven't seen any prices on the site, but I really haven't had a moment to look online to see what they are going for. Probably more than what I want to pay, and would be cheaper to get an older one from a old couple who want to unload theirs. If anyone see a price, please post.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-05-11 15:32 ]

Well I think the T@B campers are cool.... but I think I'm goingto stick with a vintage one. I got the price list in the mail along with the catalog you can vierw in a PDF from their site. The trailers cost between $11K to $17K a piece. As much as I would love to have a T@B, I think I can find an small Airstream around my neck of the woods for half the price.

Oh Well.

On 2007-05-10 21:41, WooHooWahine wrote:
WoooHoooo! I want one. Any idea of the cost???

I've coveted the Tab T16-CS (The Clam Shell model, with the outside cook station) for a while. I haven't seen one for less than about $14K.

Pages: 1 7 replies