Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Why is it...

Pages: 1 12 replies

... that I cannot ever find a bulb of garlic that has not already gone to sprout, when I live 45 MINUTES from the garlic capitol of the world? Frak!

J

Try the farmers markets. Their stuff is almost always fresher than what you'll find at a grocery store. Especially if you get there early in the day before everything has been picked over. The one at the Ferry Building in SF on Tuesday and Saturday is great, but I'm sure there must be one somewhere closer to you on the Peninsula. Check this list for one near you.

Note: Oh look! We have the same favorite mug of the day!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2007-05-14 11:18 ]

Thanks for that list of local farmer's markets -- I do need to start hitting those. Looks like there's one on Wednesdays. For today, I'm going to try a little produce market near me. I hate having to go way out of my way for one little ingredient, though. It reminds me of the days when you had to go get your phone at the GTE store.

I have nothing to add, really. I just like that you guys are sharing Tiki Bob as your favorite Ooga-Mooga mug today.

Ok, I will chime in that farmers markets are the place to get the freshest produce, which is more likely "tree-ripened", as well.

I've been meaning to check out our local FM; you know Sugar Bunn prefers farm fresh...

J

Thayer - There's a farmers market in Alameda near Santa Clara & Webster on Tuesdays. There's also one at Jack London Square on either Saturday or Sunday I think. I don't know if there are any in your part of Oakland though.

P.S. - Tiki Bob Rules!

CL

Try the Milk Pail in Mountain View. Outdoor European style produce market every day. They had the best produce around when I lived in Mountain View. At the corner of California and San Antonio. Small but good selection of cheeses too. Whole foods still beats the MP cheeses though! :)

MT

They sell great produce at the Milk Pail, and also some semi hard to find stuff. That is where I would buy my blood oranges.

H

Well I cook a lot and I have to say it is hard to keep garlic from sprouting no matter how fresh. I have been buying them and storing them in the refrigerator. it prolongs the process and I don't have to throw them away.......

I got the garlic cloves of my dreams at that little local produce market (Milk Pail was actually the place I was referring to -- jinx!), and they worked out just fine -- sprout free. I still think it's odd that this is the first bulb of garlic I've tried to use in probably a year that didn't have either mold or sprouts, even the ones I've bought from Whole Foods, which ordinarily has awesome produce. Oh well! Maybe I've just been having bad luck, or maybe I need to start buying my garlic at the produce market. Garlic's worth going out of the way for.

CL

I haven't been to the Grand Lake Sat. Farmers market yet, but heard fantastic things about it.

Used to go to the San Mateo farmers market every Weds. when I worked in San Mateo. At that time it was really a great market. Haven't been recently, but the Jack London market historically had good selection and quality. The Los Altos Farmers Market was always very nice but a bit small.

...But my favorite farmers market (on an eclectic scale) is the "old Oakland" Friday Farmers market on 9th and Broadway. They have everything imaginable. Even Southern Barbecue, Hush Puppies, and Peach Pies...Across from the German Cheese stand...Across from the Bok Choy vendor. It reminds me of a NY outdoor street market. It's fun!

Hmmm, guess I like farmers markets. Today, I passed by the SF Embarcadero Farmers market. Holy schnikees it's HUGE. I could spend a whole day there. mmmmm, Farmer Markets :wink:

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2007-05-15 16:15 ]

CL

I'm also curious, are farmers markets a CA only occurance? Or are there farmers markets across the county? I know this may sound terribly naive, but I am curious.

The Grand Lake FM has great local honey - I mean not just packaged locally, but made with local bee colonies, so you get all the curative properties.

B

Hiya-

Nope- there were definitely farmers markets in NYC (downtown). Unfortunately the seasons there were short lived.
Corn in the summer, nuthin in the winter.

Farmers Market at the SF Ferry building is great if you go EARLY. 7 am! (really not over-priced)

Farmers market in SF on Thursday at City Hall Plaza---Funky-- buy your bruised fruit there-- (But super cheap)

Farmers Market Thurs & Sunday San Rafael a scene- and not many good values IMO.

Pages: 1 12 replies