Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What use for Wray & Nephew Overproof rum?

Pages: 1 36 replies

Looking for an excuse to try the Wray & Nephew 126 proof rum. Anybody got a recipe that uses it? Seems to strong for sippin' rum or it might be a I'm a big wuss.

Apart from using it to burn on top of drinks, The only other way I've drunk it, is as a shot.
I wouldn't sip it.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2007-05-22 08:39 ]

It is great for soaking fruit. Do you skewer slices of fresh pineapple and/or other fruit to garnish your drinks? Try soaking the fruit in Overproof overnight first. The rum bleeds out into the drink, and then, if you're fool enough to eat your garnish (hee hee) you're in for yet another treat.

I also use it for cocktail fireworks. I, personally, have not found any overproof rums to be of value for mixing into drinks or drinking straight.

It makes a great base to macerate ingredients for liqueurs.

On 2007-05-22 08:52, The Gnomon wrote:
It is great for soaking fruit. Do you skewer slices of fresh pineapple and/or other fruit to garnish your drinks? Try soaking the fruit in Overproof overnight first. The rum bleeds out into the drink, and then, if you're fool enough to eat your garnish (hee hee) you're in for yet another treat.

That is brilliant, I'm totally going to soak my pineapple garnish from here on out. Thank you.

T

I believe Holden uses this rum as part of the mai tai ingredients for the mai tai sparkletts dispenser at Mugoomba. He also uses some of the TV Mai Tai cocktail (already with alcohol, not mix), and then adds a few other things. You might be able to get the recipe from him. I don't think I have an ingredient list anymore. He had posted a picture that had the ratio breakdown, but the link is broken. Too bad.
Other uses for overproof, aside from flaming, include making rum swizzles and other drinks. One of the Beachbum Berry books has a recipe for a 151 swizzle.
I've used 151 to liven up a drink that was getting a little too watery. You don't add a set amount, just use enough for the amount of liquid left in the drink. For a drink that's almost gone, I use something that's probably less than 1/4 oz.

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2007-05-22 13:25 ]

T

It is used for a drink called green dragon.
I can't give you the recipe.

A St Catherine, this is Wray and Nephews signiture serve

25ml Wray & Nephew
25ml Gooseberry & Mint cordial (Belvoir)
12-16 seedless white grapes
8 mint leaves

Or with "Ting" Jamaican grapefruit drink

Or with Milk as the Jamaicans drink it

gooseberry & mint cordial?

Thanks for the ideas, everybody!

On 2007-05-22 08:53, Haole'akamai wrote:
It makes a great base to macerate ingredients for liqueurs.

The pimento liqueur I've made was with Lemon Hart 151, because that's what I had on hand, but some claim that using Wray & Nephew Overproof plus Myers' makes for a final result that is closer to the hard-to-get commercial stuff from Jamaica.

P

That stuff tastes like moonshine and makes everything it touches taste like it.

I like moonshine and get the good stuff from Kentucky on occasion, but that Wray and Nephew... blecch.

Get the Lemon Hart Demarara 151.

On 2007-05-22 20:44, tikiskip wrote:
It is used for a drink called green dragon.
I can't give you the recipe.

Do you mean a Green Lizard?

A great drink for Wray & Nephew Overproof is a Cuba Libre. Don't go light on the lime.

W&N is quite smooth for its strength.

T

Nope it's a green dragon.
You can find it on the net.
Cheech and Chong may be able to get you the stuff you need for it.

I almost forgot about this.

Ever hear of Joy Spence? She's the Appleton Master Blender/Chief Blender, responsible for kicking out the likes of V/X, Extra, Legacy, and 21 (succeeding Owen Tulloch).

Joy's favorite rum is the V/X Jamaica Rum which she drinks with soda water, and she also enjoys Wray and Nephew White Overproof Rum and Ting (a Jamaican grapefruit soda).

From the Appleton site under The Joy of Rum

I was reminded of that when I saw this...

On 2007-05-23 01:27, cheekytiki wrote:
Or with "Ting" Jamaican grapefruit drink

Of course, Joy's indirect endorsement could be company hype to sell more OP, but the combination does sound like it has merit. Even though I'm not a big fan of mixing cocktails with any kind of overproof rum, I've been definitely planning to give this a try. Every few weeks or so the county liquor stores here have been putting W&N OP on sale, so (with Ting already in the house) I'm waiting for the OP sale price to come around (if it doesn't take too long).

Ting is expensive around here—usually $1.25 for a little 10 oz. bottle, sometimes more, and definitely more if you order one in a Jamaican restaurant. But Ting is really great, especially, if you knew and loved a soda in antiquity called Squirt. They make a soda called Squirt now (same logo, etc.), but it's not the same soda (doesn't come close). The cheapest way to get Ting around here is to go to a Jamaican/Caribbean grocery store and buy it by the case. If you just want to try it, I see it sometimes in supermarkets that require a more elaborate than average ethnic food section.

In the 50's and 60's, Coca Cola tasted like Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper tasted like Dr. Pepper, and Squirt tasted like Squirt. I think it was in the late 60's that Coke changed its formula, ruining it. I don't think Dr. Pepper was ruined until the early 70's. I have no idea when Squirt lost its identity. None of these sodas today taste anything like they were when they were great. Schweppes owns Squirt now, but it's produced in the US by Dr. Pepper/7-Up.

Anyway, while a real Coke and a real Dr. Pepper are things of the past, you can get the effect of a real Squirt because Ting tastes just like original Squirt. In fact, Squirt used to be the only soda I recall that was sold in little 10 oz. bottles, dark green, just like Ting. I think Ting copied Squirt in every way possible, but fortunately, Ting still tatses like Squirt. Now Squirt tastes awful.

Sorry. Didn't mean to rant. Getting back to the W&N OP and Ting. Ting is a strong grapefruit soda and could very well stand up to the power of an overproof. I'm particularly hopeful, considering it is supposedly a favorite of Appleton's Chief Blender, whose taste in rum I very much appreciate.

[ Edited by: The Gnomon 2007-05-30 11:12 ]

On 2007-05-30 11:00, The Gnomon wrote:
Of course, Joy's indirect endorsement could be company hype to sell more OP, but the combination does sound like it has merit. Even though I'm not a big fan of mixing cocktails with any kind of overproof rum, I've been definitely planning to give this a try.

It sucks I'm sad to report. I still haven't totally given up on it, only because it is a supposed favorite of Joy Spence. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have tried it a second time.

I made myself about a dozen Overproofs & Ting over a four day period. The first one was awful and never got better. I found it unappealing for two reasons: 1) the rum completely wiped out the flavor of the Ting, which is shameful; and 2) the Ting did nothing to mask that "kerosene" flavor that characterizes W&N White Overproof. It was somewhat surprising that the addition of Overproof to Ting still almost tastes like Overproof straight.

Anyway, I'm guessing that this is an acquired taste. If I actually liked the taste of Overproof straight, but found it to be way too strong on its own, combining it with Ting would be a way to water it down without losing the flavor of the Overproof (as if). Why not just use water? Maybe the water isn't so good throughout Jamaica. In South America we used to drink beer, wine, and soda instead of water because the water was so...microbial. But Overproof definitely obliterates the flavor of the Ting.

On 2007-05-30 11:00, The Gnomon also wrote:
In the 50's and 60's, Coca Cola tasted like Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper tasted like Dr. Pepper, and Squirt tasted like Squirt. I think it was in the late 60's that Coke changed its formula, ruining it. I don't think Dr. Pepper was ruined until the early 70's. I have no idea when Squirt lost its identity. None of these sodas today taste anything like they were when they were great. Schweppes owns Squirt now, but it's produced in the US by Dr. Pepper/7-Up.

Anyway, while a real Coke and a real Dr. Pepper are things of the past, you can get the effect of a real Squirt because Ting tastes just like original Squirt. In fact, Squirt used to be the only soda I recall that was sold in little 10 oz. bottles, dark green, just like Ting. I think Ting copied Squirt in every way possible, but fortunately, Ting still tatses like Squirt. Now Squirt tastes awful.

I was in an international supermarket the other day and in the Hispanic section I ran across some Squirt and CocaCola that was bottled in Mexico. I'd forgotten about the fact that the bottling factories throughout Latin America that were initially established by Coke, Pepsi, and other US soda companies ages ago (50's? earlier?) continued to manufacture soda according to the formulas they had from their beginnings. When the formulas changed in the US they did not change in Latin America. I don't know if they have changed yet. I'm hopeful that they have not.

The sodas I picked up are in the typical returnable bottles designed for old-fashioned soda machines. The glass is really heavy duty and are scuffed and worn on the outside. One looks like it has made about 10,000 trips through vending machines. I'll take some pics. They were all sticky on the outside, which is a good sign (kind of a certificate of authenticity).

If the Coke from Mexico has the same flavor and qualities as the Coke of the 50's and 60's, then Overproof might make a good Cuba Libre.

Ahhh...Ting. I can speak to that. In the eastern Caribbean, Ting is used with a spirit called CSR or Cane Spirit Rothschild which is made on St. Kitts.

CSR is a white rum, but it has some "funky" notes to it. I mean funky in a good way. It has some Cachaca flavors to it that lend a rustic appeal to it. Musty, kind of brandy-like. It also has a fair amount of alcohol heat. I believe it is only 80 proof. It no where near as strong as Wray & Nephew Overproof. I tried it as my first drink on the island straight in a snifter. I would say it is basically made for mixing.

Anyway, on St. Kitts and neighboring islands, you drink a Ting with a Sting. That is CSR and Ting over ice. Same ratio as a gin and tonic. About 2 oz of CSR, about 3-4 oz of Ting.

It is a great drink. The CSR cuts the sweetness of the Ting in just the right amount. And the grapefruit masks the mustiness of the CSR. No garnish necessary.

Obtaining CSR is difficult. At last check, only California had it, and they were going through the process (at the ABC) of approving a new label. From personal experience, this can take half a year. I suppose you could try to substitute half Appleton White and half Cachaca for CSR, but I'm not sure that will do.

And concerning Ting, I obtained it here in Kansas City, but the quality was not great. It was 2 years beyond its expiration, made in Canada, and tasted much sweeter than the stuff down in St. Kitts. I bought a case of it--I should have gotten a six pack.

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 7:45 AM

Ting is the BEST!!!! We tried it years ago on vacation in Barbados.

Since then, we have found it at HEB in Texas - in the International foods section. So anyone in TX can pick it up there - we usually bring some home to WI with us when we go down to TX for Xmas. I had never thought of putting Wray & Nephew with it - will have to try so that maybe we can make a dent in that bottle of Wray & Nephew we've got - as its uses are limited.......and a single bottle goes a LONG way......

TG

On 2007-06-06 07:45, croe67 wrote:
Ting is the BEST!!!! We tried it years ago on vacation in Barbados.

If you like Ting, you can understand why Squirt fanatics were so disappointed when Squirt went off the market and were even more disappointed when it resurfaced with a completely different, immensely inferior flavor.

Squirt first came on the scene in 1938. Ting was first manufactured in Jamaica late in 1976. I'm not sure how much of a real connection there is between the two, but Ting seems to have copied Squirt right down to the little green bottle. Squirt lost its identity. Ting did not.

On 2007-06-06 07:45, croe67 continued:
I had never thought of putting Wray & Nephew with it - will have to try so that maybe we can make a dent in that bottle of Wray & Nephew we've got - as its uses are limited.......and a single bottle goes a LONG way......

Don't waste your time with the Ting if you don't like the flavor of W&N White Overproof. When you mix them the flavor of the Ting disappears. No doubt, you'll want to try one just to see what I mean.

I mainly use W&N OP for soaking garnish fruit overnight and for flaming effects. As for flaming effects, it's not good by itself. You need to pour it over something else that burns nicely. If you light OP in a shot glass, you might not even notice right away that it's burning, which can be dangerous. It burns without much of a flame on its own.

I must admit the overproof takes a while to get used to, but I am finding that I am enjoying it more, that kerosene taste has a wierd appeal. A bit like Lime pickle with an Indian meal.
Nice to see Joys name pop up here, she is a true inspiration and a great character to boot, at last years London Luau she got up on stage to sing "One Love" with King Kukulele and the Friki tikis.
Her knowlege of rum is incredible, she found the last remaining 17 YO they had in stock.
Anybody interested should come to Rumfest in September here in London where Joy will be a guest.

Anyway back to the OP, who's gone Jamaican style and tried it with milk yet?

On 2007-06-06 14:58, cheekytiki wrote:
I must admit the overproof takes a while to get used to, but I am finding that I am enjoying it more, that kerosene taste has a wierd appeal. A bit like Lime pickle with an Indian meal.
Nice to see Joys name pop up here, she is a true inspiration and a great character to boot, at last years London Luau she got up on stage to sing "One Love" with King Kukulele and the Friki tikis.
Her knowlege of rum is incredible, she found the last remaining 17 YO they had in stock.
Anybody interested should come to Rumfest in September here in London where Joy will be a guest.

Anyway back to the OP, who's gone Jamaican style and tried it with milk yet?

Yeah I did, and guess what?....it tasted like milk n kerosene.

It may be an acquired taste and I tend to stray towards Tanquerey martinis when I'm not doing exotic drinks, but I found myself drinking Wray & Nephew Overproof rum straight over crushed ice in a collins glass when in Jamaica. Small sippy straw. Enjoyed it and brought bottles home as a result. Just had it out the other day and tasted it again; still like it.

It may be an acquired taste and I tend to stray towards Tanquerey martinis when I'm not doing exotic drinks, but I found myself drinking Wray & Nephew Overproof rum straight over crushed ice in a collins glass when in Jamaica. Small sippy straw. Enjoyed it and brought bottles home as a result. Just had it out the other day and tasted it again; still like it.

Tried a Wray & Nephew OP Martini the other day at trailer Happiness, interesting, its not bad with Cranberry either.

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2007-06-21 11:32 ]

M
mbanu posted on Thu, Jun 21, 2007 6:44 PM

You can use overproof anywhere that you can use regular rum. Just use around half as much. (With W&N being 63% abv instead of 75.5, you might want to make that 3/4 as much, but it's the same basic principle.) If your normal Rum & Coke is 2 oz. rum to 6 oz. Coke, with overproof you'd use 1 oz. rum and 7 oz. Coke. With cocktails, you just use half as much, and fill the rest of the volume with water. If your normal Daiquiri is 2 oz. rum, 1/2. oz simple syrup, and 1/2 oz. lime juice, with overproof it'd be 1 oz. rum, 1 oz. water, 1/2 oz. simple syrup, and 1/2 oz. lime juice.

Here's an original cocktail I whipped up while listening to Yma Sumac's "Voice of the Xtabay". The Wray & Nephew float adds a weird, but quite pleasant burnt aroma/taste to the overall sweetness of the various liqueurs.

Divine Nectar of the Xtabay

1 1/2 oz. Homemade Sweet & Sour Mix
1 oz. Patrón Reposado Tequila
1 oz. Capel Pisco Reservado
1 oz. Mango Nectar
3/4 oz. Passionfruit Syrup
3/4 oz. AGWA Coca Liqueur
3/4 oz. Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum
1/2 oz. Señor Curaçao Curaçao
1/4 oz. Kalani Coconut Liqueur
1/4 oz. Homemade Grenadine

Shake all ingredients, except for the rum and grenadine, with crushed ice. Pour into a large brandy snifter, and add more ice to fill. Float rum and grenadine on top.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

[ Edited by: MrBaliHai 2009-04-25 17:24 ]

Home made falernum...

I made a "Lovely Lovely" from Sippin' Safari this afternoon. The recipe calls for Bacardi 151, but I subbed Wray & Nephew Overproof, and it was superb. The brown sugar in the recipe masks the funky burnt vanilla smell of the overproof, and it tasted quite a bit like Lemon Hart 151. Great cocktail. Destined to be one of my favorites from Sippin' Safari.

I finally found the secret to enjoying a W&N Overproof and milk-- throw in a shot of creme de cacao. Aight.

S

I actually love having shots of it when i'm out and a few months ago had a fantastic cocktail using it. When i was over in the U.S. just recently i bought a bottle back with me just i could make them.

Nuclear Daiquiri.

22.5ml W & N rum
22.5ml Chartruese
22.5ml lime juice
15ml falernum

Shake and strain.
*No garnish, as no garnish can withstand the might that is the nuclear daiquiri.
*(creators words)
I'm going to be so sad when i run out of it as it isn't available here to buy.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2012-10-10 05:45 ]

I've finally got a taste for it and it works really well with just pineapple juice.

P

A tasty use for W&N from Adam Bryan at Bar Congress in Austin, Texas...

Montegomatica

1 1/2 oz Wray & Nephew overproof
1 oz Fernet Branca
1 oz falernum
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz Cruzan Black Strap

Shake everything except Cruzan with crushed ice, pour into a glass (Adam uses a Hurricane glass), float Cruzan. Mint garnish.

T

Still not sure about it the best use is for making your own Falurnum.

P

I personally like W&N so I don't think in terms of finding ways to bury it. I created this one for this month's mixology monday to intentionally feature it...

Patong Swizzle
1 1/2 oz Wray & Nephew overproof rum
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz Thai syrup*
1/2 oz unsweetened pineapple juice

Swizzle with crushed ice, top with more crushed ice.

*Thai syrup
1 1/4 cups coconut water
2 stalks lemon grass, trimmed, sliced and crushed
4 kaffir lime leaves
1/2" piece fresh ginger, chopped
1 slice from a hot green chile
4 fresh mint leaves
4 fresh basil leaves
6 fresh cilantro leaves

Heat coconut water, lemongrass, lime leaves, ginger and chile at a slow simmer for ~5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and infuse for ~20 minutes. Blanch herbs in boiling water for ~10 seconds, shock in ice water and add to coconut water. Blitz everything with a stick blender and strain (I strained through a medium strainer, squeezed the liquid from the pulp through then strained it through a fine strainer).

It's great for making Pimento Dram also

T

On 2012-10-10 04:40, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
It's great for making Pimento Dram also

Exactly. You end up using the majority of a bottle, but Pimento Liqueur is used in quite a few cocktails and (i'm assuming) will last a long time, since it has a very powerful taste and a little goes a long way!
Wray and Nephew O.P. is also used when making "Falernum #9" which is an extremely easy recipe that really makes fantastic drinks. I just made a new (1/2) batch yesterday.

L

Jasper's Punch
http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jaspers-rum-punch/

Jasper’s Rum Punch

1 1/2oz Wray and Nephew overproof rum
1 1/2oz Jasper’s Secret Mix
cherry, to top
nutmeg, grated on top

Jasper's Secret Mix

3/4oz lime juice
1/2oz 2:1 simple
2 dashes Angostura bitters