Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Apple-flavored Vermouth

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hi all,

I drank several bottles of apple-flavored white vermouth in Quebec one summer, but haven't been able to track down the maker or the product since. Yes, I'm sure it's vermouth and not some other kind of liqueur. Anyone have any idea where I can find it?

WAITIKI: Exotic Tiki Entertainment From Polynesia & Beyond
Videos, MP3s, and More at http://www.waitiki.com

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2007-05-28 23:21 ]

I grew up in Somerset England - cider country - so, I was interested in this and I went Google-ing...

I found this: http://www.mcgill.ca/reporter/35/02/gault/

I'll be interested if you find a source. The Apple Ice Wine from Quebec was lovely, so if it's a relation, it ought to be good.

Meanwhile, I'm working in Brussels for 36 hours and meeting German colleagues, so I'll ask about the Rohn biosphere area ...

Thanks for the article link. Nope, haven't figured out anything new on this yet.

Me either... other than dry aperitif cider of 15-20% vol being called 'vermouth' cider or mistelle... how good's your French :wink:

"Le cidre apéritif est la boisson obtenue à partir de cidre qui contient au moins 5 % d'alcool en volume, auquel peuvent être ajoutées des substances aromatiques végétales (fruits, aromates, etc.), du concentré de pomme ou du sucre. En raison de la fermentation ou de l'addition d'alcool, il contient de 15 % à 20 % d'alcool en volume. Les caractéristiques d'un cidre apéritif sont celles qui sont généralement attribuées à un vin apéritif.

L'expression « cidre apéritif » peut être accompagnée ou être remplacée par ces expressions : vermouth de cidre, vermouth de pomme ou mistelle de pomme.

La mistelle de pomme
Une mistelle de pomme est un produit dont le pourcentage d'alcool se situe entre 15 % et 20 % d'alcool en volume. Elle est obtenue à partir de moût frais de pomme (non fermenté) et additionné d'alcool."

Gonna try Gerry's in London this weekend whilst I'm there for the London Luau. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24339&forum=1

Basically, the French text describes two different methods to create similar items. I believe a "mistelle" is the name for the grape base used to make vermouths, so I'm guessing that "vermouth" refers more to the method of production, not the ingredients.

Hopefully my rough translation will answer your questions (and not offend any folks who actually speak the language). I did clarify a couple of points that were not in the original text.

As far as finding some, you might want to search around for the other names. One store around here (NJ) carries Apple Mistelle and next time I'm there (Friday) I'll look more closely.

~Martiki-bird (Gina)

"Cider Aperitif is made from cider with less than 5% alcohol content, other aromatic flavorings (such as fruits, herbs or spices, etc.), apple concentrate or sugar. It contains 15-20% volume alcohol, either through fermentation or the addition of alcohol. The characteristics of a cider aperitif are generally similar to that of a wine aperitif (a.k.a. Dry Vermouth).

The phrase “cidre aperitif” may be accompanied or replaced by the phrases Cider Vermouth (vermouth de cidre), Apple Vermouth (vermouth de pomme), or Apple Mistelle (mistelle de pomme.)

Apple Mistelle

Apple mistelle is an alcoholic beverage with an alcoholic content of 15%-20% vol. It is made by adding alcohol to fresh pressed apple ‘mush’ (a.k.a. apples pressed for as for cider but not fermented) in order to stop the fermentation process."

Pages: 1 4 replies